Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips for pier fishing

Options
  • 09-06-2010 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey just started fishing lately off a pier, fished from boats at sea few times a year and wondering if any one has any tips or advise on fishing for mackerel and hopefully a bit of Pollock.

Been fishing the last few days but nothing biting. Is sunny weather the best time to head out? Im fishing bout mayo and Sligo using feathers. Heard also this northern wind doesn’t help them either is that true.

Also any one any tips too on how to improve the length of me cast?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hey just started fishing lately off a pier, fished from boats at sea few times a year and wondering if any one has any tips or advise on fishing for mackerel and hopefully a bit of Pollock.

Been fishing the last few days but nothing biting. Is sunny weather the best time to head out? Im fishing bout mayo and Sligo using feathers. Heard also this northern wind doesn’t help them either is that true.

Also any one any tips too on how to improve the length of me cast?

Firstly with regard your cast you should start by making sure you outfit is balanced. I see so many people who don't regularly fish who are under the impression that sticking a massive lead at the end of their rig will make them cast far. Quite the opposite is true. Check on your rod and there should be a rating in weight (i.e. 45-70g) and try to keep your weights within this range. Make sure you have enough line on your reel so that it doesn't have to drag off the spool while casting. That can slow things down a bit too. And let the rod do the work.

Don't know the spots you are fishing specifically. Northern winds can affect things but they are generally ok at this time of year. Fish the incoming tide. You'll be able to check tide times in the local paper and head fishing a couple of hours before the full tide is due. A full tide in just as it gets dark is very good in most places.

Vary your casting, that is, if there's nothing on the surface after a few casts, leave it sink for a few seconds. Keep varying until you find the fish. Pollock are generally closer to the bottom and mackerel mid-water to surface.

Finally if you see somebody else getting fish keep you eye on them and see how far out they are going and at what depth they are getting the fish. You could always ask them too. Unless they are total @ssholes they should help you out!

Tight lines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Some good information there Sea,

I went out today for the first time from the shore on some rocks off the Mayo coast between Silver strand and white strand, a good spot or so I thought with about 4-5M depth of water in front of me.

I started with some feathers and quickly lost them by casting out and getting caught in rocks on the way back in, changed then to some hooks with foils on top, lost them 15 mins later the same way..

At this stage I was trying to get smarter so I put on some bait with sand eels and mackrels.. I was using a heavier weight this time with '60' on it, cast out, (but I must learn how to do this better as I did get tangled a couple of times) but each time with the wight it ended up right back in at me again to where I left it dangling for a while.. alas nothing.. 4 hours and not even a bite.. I believe there are two reasons.. either a lack of fish.. or serious poor technique on my behalf..

I'll try and put up a picture of what i was using..

Hoping to try again on Sunday, I figure i'll get it sometime but I'll use your advise aswell.. any further advice would be greatly appreciated..

Heres a Question or two actually

- Should you cast out when shore fishing? If so how far should you aim for?
    - Also is there a technique to ensure line doesn't get tangled in the reel?
    - On boats I've always been a fan of using mackrel as bait.. What ye reckon?

Also I like the points on the tide, i was watching that today, water was clearish but I couldn't even spot a fish..

Thanks!

Somewhere out there theres a fish with my name on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

MotteDai wrote: »

Heres a Question or two actually

- Should you cast out when shore fishing? If so how far should you aim for?
    - Also is there a technique to ensure line doesn't get tangled in the reel?
    - On boats I've always been a fan of using mackrel as bait.. What ye reckon?

There's two ways at looking at how far to cast. As far as possible or very close in. I'll explain. In some places you need to get out far to get into some deeper water such as a deep channel. If after mackerel casting as far as possible helps because as you draw the feathers back you are covering a lot of water and you can eventually work out where they are roughly. However, bass and wrasse and some others species can often be found at your feet so you would be aiming for a feature immediately in front of you rather than distance. Off pier as well Im a fan of just dropping it straight down in some instances. (sorry that paragraph is probably confising as fcuk! :o))

Line getting tangled on a reel is probably because there is too much line on it...I'm guessing here but I see a lot of beginners load up the reel too much (or reels bought preloaded). You should have a couple of mm around the lip of the spool to the line. There is a guide on every reel too on how much line to put on depending on the breaking strain i.e. 200m/15lbs that spool will take 200m of 15lb breaking strain. Try taking off some if this is the case. Prob make a difference.

Mackerel is a very good all round bait and will take most species of fish at some stage of another. Just remember to give the fish a chance to find it i.e. dont be reeling in it and re casting every couple of mins. That goes for all bait really.

You also mention your lack of success as maybe down to lack of fish....this could be it. Try to follow the tide guide i gave in the first post or ask other anglers when is the best time. If its a spot thats fished regularly but when you're there, no one else is then you've got something wrong! :)

Good luck and any other questions just give us boardies a shout.

SeaFields wrote: »
    There's two ways at looking at how far to cast. As far as possible or very close in. I'll explain. In some places you need to get out far to get into some deeper water such as a deep channel. If after mackerel casting as far as possible helps because as you draw the feathers back you are covering a lot of water and you can eventually work out where they are roughly. However, bass and wrasse and some others species can often be found at your feet so you would be aiming for a feature immediately in front of you rather than distance. Off pier as well Im a fan of just dropping it straight down in some instances. (sorry that paragraph is probably confising as fcuk! :o))

No not that confusing, I have to try and hone my casting technique so I can 'aim' for different points and locations.
    Line getting tangled on a reel is probably because there is too much line on it...I'm guessing here but I see a lot of beginners load up the reel too much (or reels bought preloaded). You should have a couple of mm around the lip of the spool to the line. There is a guide on every reel too on how much line to put on depending on the breaking strain i.e. 200m/15lbs that spool will take 200m of 15lb breaking strain. Try taking off some if this is the case. Prob make a difference.

Yep I think I might be guilty, I just got the roll of line and put it all on the reel. ended up cutting away a bit of it yesterday and it seemed to help. Some reel are better than others I guess.
    Mackerel is a very good all round bait and will take most species of fish at some stage of another. Just remember to give the fish a chance to find it i.e. dont be reeling in it and re casting every couple of mins. That goes for all bait really.

You also mention your lack of success as maybe down to lack of fish....this could be it. Try to follow the tide guide i gave in the first post or ask other anglers when is the best time. If its a spot thats fished regularly but when you're there, no one else is then you've got something wrong! :)

Good luck and any other questions just give us boardies a shout.

I think it does be fished regularly but its remote, so chances of seeing another is limmited. Hoping to land the first fish before the weeks out!
    Given that 72 Mackrel were caught by a boardie up the coast in Achill Im hoping to be sucessfull

Oh by the way I dot know if this is done or not here but heres the GPS locatio of where I was fishing, given I didnt get even a bite it may be of no use but I believe theres potential,

53.652996,-9.914700 (Ireland)

copy and paste into google maps

• Advertisement
Advertisement