Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Jackobyte wrote: »
    You can't be serious. Blu-Rays are way better than a normal DVD. A DVD can hold about 10gb whereas a Blu-Ray can hold 50gb +. If you have even watched a DVD and then seen a Blu-Ray of the same movie there is a massive difference.

It annoys me when people say that Blu Rays look the same as DVDs. Blu Rays ae soooooo much better, my mate wouldn't beleive me until I sat him down in front of my TV and showed him The Hurt Locker in full HD glory :D.

This seems relevant.
    http://xkcd.com/732/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Planet Earth on blu-ray is faptastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Tbh I can't tell the difference really. Even if I was playing a game I can barely notice the difference between different resolutions after a minute of playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Tbh I can't tell the difference really. Even if I was playing a game I can barely notice the difference between different resolutions after a minute of playing.

In some games they give you a wider view to take advantage of it (particularly strategy games), but in most they don't IIRC, so it's just a quality issue.
    Would be pretty ****ty if they allowed people with higher resolutions to have a wider field of view on multiplayer FPSes tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Funfact: Japan has been broadcasting in analogue HD since 1969. Woo for being 40 years behind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Blu-ray is not the way of the future, digital downloads are. Sony are putting their efforts in the wrong avenues tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

phlegms wrote: »
    Blu-ray is not the way of the future, digital downloads are. Sony are putting their efforts in the wrong avenues tbh.
    Depends what you mean by digital downloads though. Are you including streaming in that?

Digital downloads are not the way of the future in terms of movies and music though. In that case we're talking about streaming, like Netflix in the USA for movies and Spotify here for music (Spotify will arrive here eventually. until then, proxy servers rock tbh)
    You can't stream a game (sorry OnLive) so then naturally there's going to be a need for digital downloads. But for some games like MGS4 or FFXIII, you're going to need a physical medium because it would use too much time\bandwidth downloading the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Colm! wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by digital downloads though. Are you including streaming in that?

Digital downloads are not the way of the future in terms of movies and music though. In that case we're talking about streaming, like Netflix in the USA for movies and Spotify here for music (Spotify will arrive here eventually. until then, proxy servers rock tbh)
    You can't stream a game (sorry OnLive) so then naturally there's going to be a need for digital downloads. But for some games like MGS4 or FFXIII, you're going to need a physical medium because it would use too much time\bandwidth downloading the game.

Well I was encompassing streaming and fully downloading when I said "digital downloads".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

TBH I'd rather graphics took a step back for the foreseeable future while compression technologies were improved at the moment it seems presentation is holding gaming back while Ps2/last gen graphics were perfectly apt. Taking the two games you mentioned, while I liked both Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII they were disappointing games at best, hyped mainly because they looked pretty. Square enix has been particulary guilty of this since the move to PS2 with the majority of it's self developed franchises being promoted with excellent quality FMV's only for the games to be lack lustre themselves. The majority of the reviews seems to follow the general outline of "mediocre but looks great".

Metal Gear's size is largely due to it's cut scenes but if Kojima chose to downgrade the graphics to say slightly better than Ps2 you'd have a game that would probably run better. Peacewalker is an example of a metal gear game which works well this way. The whole trying to look realistic thing games have going on lately irks me, uncanny valley is what ruined heavy rain for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

There's only one game at the moment that wants me to get a playstation 3 again.

Watch that in 720p, very sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I hear ya. Gran Turismo 1-4 were great games. Borderline perfection. I've been thinking about it the last few days, and I think I'll see if I can find a cheapish PS3 second hand...I can't not get GT5!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I hope ye have room for that 10GB "non-manditory" install it has. Otherwise the game wont run to it's full potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I was taking a look at a few Linux distros for my Satellite Pro, and I thought "why the hell don't I use this OS on my main PC?" . Well, I eventually realised that the key reason is that I like to play games on my PC. So... what's WINE like for gaming these days? (Yes, I'm keeping Windows for dual-booting but I don't like restarting my PC all the time.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

what's WINE like for gaming these days?

Not really worth it if you have access to Windows.
    I used it for gaming a lot, but at the end of the day even though a lot of games work perfectly it's just a lot of hassle to make sure, and a lot of the ones that do work fine still need a lot more time/effort put into installing them.

On the other hand Deus Ex and Project IGI worked BETTER on Linux with Wine than they did on Windows for me (there's bugs in both that only appeared for me on Windows).
    And the games that do work occassionally run smoother with Wine, Doom 3 used to run slow as hell on my main PC, but with a bit of effort I got it running decently in Wine, but really this isn't guaranteed, some games run faster on Windows, some on Linux, depends a lot on the specifics of the game, and I doubt that it's very common you'll benefit from it.

I was taking a look at a few Linux distros for my Satellite Pro, and I thought "why the hell don't I use this OS on my main PC?" . Well, I eventually realised that the key reason is that I like to play games on my PC. So... what's WINE like for gaming these days? (Yes, I'm keeping Windows for dual-booting but I don't like restarting my PC all the time.)

To add to what Pyggy said, I have a few newer games and they would not work no matter what coercing I did with Wine. I hear Cedega's alright but it's commercial and tbh, I still couldn't get Football Manager working on it.

There's some great free games for Linux, but your Windows ones are better run on Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

That trailer is terrible. Pay attention to the black shadows that don't change shape and the lighting. Fancy textures, not much else.

Starting a game of Europa Universalis 3, anyone played it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

kingdom hearts.... finished it but still i turn it on and just blankly play it for ages -.-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

muffinz wrote: »
    kingdom hearts.... finished it but still i turn it on and just blankly play it for ages -.-
    I know how you feel, I recently bought an old PS2 and dragged a crappy tv into my room so I could play through FFX again, again... again.

Seriously though, I have no idea just how much time I've put into this game over all my playthroughs, although to wager a guess I'd say absolute minimum 500 hours! And every second is worth it, such a magnificently crafted game, and no FF has surpassed it since (damn you Enix).

I know how you feel, I recently bought an old PS2 and dragged a crappy tv into my room so I could play through FFX again, again... again.

Seriously though, I have no idea just how much time I've put into this game over all my playthroughs, although to wager a guess I'd say absolute minimum 500 hours! And every second is worth it, such a magnificently crafted game, and no FF has surpassed it since (damn you Enix).

Since, but not before. :pac:

• Advertisement

Since, but not before. :pac:
    I knew someone would come in with that!
    Also, I never said which is my overall favourite, and remember; To each his own.

I knew someone would come in with that!
    Also, I never said which is my overall favourite, and remember; To each his own.
    It's hard to mention the series without people disagreeing anyway. (:

It's hard to mention the series without people disagreeing anyway. (:
    Aye, it's like an internal division amongst the fans :P

Aye, it's like an internal division amongst the fans :P
    *cough* number 7 *cough*

*cough* number 7 *cough*
    I KNEW IT!!
    Alright, enough FF discussion for now then. I'd hate for this thread to burn down :pac:

Looootsa games coming out in the next few months, what's everyone most excited about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Fallout New Vegas, I am a big fan of all the 3 main Fallouts (Especially Fallout 2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

seanbmc wrote: »

Halo games are way over-hyped before release for what is delivered in the final product.
    Although i will admit their marketing campaigns are impressive nonetheless

Redlion wrote: »
    Halo games are way over-hyped before release for what is delivered in the final product.
    Although i will admit their marketing campaigns are impressive nonetheless
    I disagree. Halo 3 had massive hype, and to so many people it lived up to it and more.
    The beauty about the Halo games, is that you can still be playing the games 3 years after their release, and you always have several people willing to join you in some customs :P

Buuuuuut to each his own, and me being a huge fan of the series naturally means I'm somewhat biased :pac:

• Advertisement

I disagree. Halo 3 had massive hype, and to so many people it lived up to it and more.
    The beauty about the Halo games, is that you can still be playing the games 3 years after their release, and you always have several people willing to join you in some customs :P

Buuuuuut to each his own, and me being a huge fan of the series naturally means I'm somewhat biased :pac:

Huge fan myself and I think Halo games live up to their hype. There's not many console games that keep me playing for three years, the Halo multiplayer is alwyas full of suprises :)

Advertisement