Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

This truly is an evil computer game, my mate told me about it. I made a blog post about it and I thought I'd post it in here too.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    This game, all I can say is oh my god. When I was playing this game, I had goosebumps, my heart rate was up and I felt genuinely frightened. At no point in the game do you feel safe, some weird thing is following you the whole time and it is terrifying to say the least. The game creates an eerie and dark atmosphere giving you sense of dread as you walk through the dark halls alone. It’s like a scary movie but you’re the character. I’m early into the game but what is scaring me the most so far is these constant footsteps that I can hear, not cool. The letter you read tells you that it’s a living nightmare following you.

I’m playing this in a dark room with big headphones on(the best way to expierience it apparently). I have to take a break and go watch Barney or some shít.

I didn't think it would be this chilling tbh, it's 6 euro on steam, well worth the buy. Buy it if you want a scare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Civilization V.

SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.
    It's a lot more difficult but so much better. Even if I did get war declared on me by every state in the known world except for the one which had no military ability. I survived that war and made peace with the other nations...
    ...then was defeated by the last one because the last war had destroyed my army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm obsessively playing this:
    khds_cover-300x270.jpg

I love it so much! It combines my love of Disney and video games, though I don't seem to be able to play it for less than 3 hours at a time which causes problems when I need to sleep. Its all missions and I just keep thinking, one more mission and then never stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Colm! wrote: »
    Civilization V.

SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.
    It's a lot more difficult but so much better. Even if I did get war declared on me by every state in the known world except for the one which had no military ability. I survived that war and made peace with the other nations...
    ...then was defeated by the last one because the last war had destroyed my army.
    I bought the Civ IV pack on Steam the other day. I always start a game with good intentions like going for a cultural victory or space victory but invariably the Chinese start being dicks and getting annoyed at me for not declaring war on somebody else. Naturally I invade them and it kind of spirals into a Conquest victory.

Played the Civ V demo but my laptop's a bit ****. It's a nice touch to have the leaders speaking their own language though Ramesses speaking Arabic doesn't really make any sense. I wonder if they release Brennus as leader of the Celts will he be speaking Irish instead of whatever dead continental language he spoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Davidius wrote: »
    I bought the Civ IV pack on Steam the other day. I always start a game with good intentions like going for a cultural victory or space victory but invariably the Chinese start being dicks and getting annoyed at me for not declaring war on somebody else. Naturally I invade them and it kind of spirals into a Conquest victory.

Played the Civ V demo but my laptop's a bit ****. It's a nice touch to have the leaders speaking their own language though Ramesses speaking Arabic doesn't really make any sense. I wonder if they release Brennus as leader of the Celts will he be speaking Irish instead of whatever dead continental language he spoke.

Was playing Civ 4 last night on my old computer which can barely handle it. I'm gonna try install it on this but I can't imagine it running all too well either. I seem to revert back to playing it at some point every year for a few weeks.

And you're right about the Chinese. They're constantly complaining about something - in my case it's usually because our borders are too close and I won't give them one of my cities. At this stage I just do it to annoy them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Okay it's the most tasteless game ever and I know I should see it as an awful game. But I gotta be honest, I really enjoy it.. :D Nothing beats killing protesters. It even has a Gary Coleman cameo.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

I've been replaying...
    158469-warhammer_dawn_of_war_2_original.jpg

A friend bought it over Steam during the Christmas period, so we've been pushing through the campaigns (original and expansion) fairly swiftly. There are few things more entertaining than watching a Dreadnought turn an army into chunks with an awesome Assault Cannon :D

Must pre-order the next expansion soon, 5 more (I think) co-op campaigns would be great :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Corkfeen wrote: »

Okay it's the most tasteless game ever and I know I should see it as an awful game. But I gotta be honest, I really enjoy it.. :D Nothing beats killing protesters. It even has a Gary Coleman cameo.

Ah it's good when you're bored. Lighting people on fire is fun.

The new Elder Scrolls is out in November. I was planning on trying the schols and doing well next year but I don't know if that'll happen now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    The new Elder Scrolls is out in November. I was planning on trying the schols and doing well next year but I don't know if that'll happen now
    This coupled with the newly updated Morrowind ;)

• Advertisement

Redlion wrote: »
    This coupled with the newly updated Morrowind ;)

FFFUUUUUU I was just downloading Morrowind so I could replay it and now I'm gonna have to get that.
    Soo much easier to download a game than rebuy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Playing through Final Fantasy IX for 2nd time.

And Super Street Fighter IV along with BlazBlue too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I have a newly formed Minecraft addiction :pac:

Jay P wrote: »
    I have a newly formed Minecraft addiction :pac:

So good! I heard of it through some lads in college, we've built a ghost train/rollercoaster. Pretty cool.

:)

Minecraft seems like a lot of fun but I can never bring myself to play it just because of the time investment involved. Generally if I put much focus into playing a game I feel like I'm completely wasting time I could be using to improve myself in some way.

Of course I never actually use my spare time to do that but 'tis very hard to shake the feeling.

I know what you mean, it takes a good while to get materials and stuff together but it can be a fun distraction in a boring lecture or something, for some people anyways. I play it now and then.

It's casual enough I suppose, but it can be really hardcore. Since it's only a beta you have to look up Wikis and stuff on how to make things, there's tons of stuff on Youtube about it.

Even when you start up the game, there is a tip saying that there is heaps of tips on Youtube!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Started playing Machinarium in the last few days and its one major mind ****....:D

Minecraft seems like a lot of fun but I can never bring myself to play it just because of the time investment involved. Generally if I put much focus into playing a game I feel like I'm completely wasting time I could be using to improve myself in some way.

Of course I never actually use my spare time to do that but 'tis very hard to shake the feeling.

Exactly how I feel. Usually 3/4 of a way through a game of Civ 4 or the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I feel like I'm completely wasting time I could be using to improve myself in some way.

It's even worse when you're wasting your time learning a fake skill, like with Rock Band. I've taken to singing in that game for the most part, so at least it approximates something, er... kind of useful? Though not really, I'm just fooling myself. I sometimes (when I'm not consumed by how much fun I'm having, or the audio/visual splendour involved) wish my hobbies were less pointless and empty. Oh, videogames. :'(

Oh well. Nevertheless, I'm currently playing Luigi's Mansion, trying obsessively to get gold frames for all the portrait ghosts, something I've not done before. It's really hard! Still, it makes you feel like a Ghostbuster, and for that thrill I will persevere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I just got insanely excited for Pokemon Black/White. Still undecided as to which one to get though, there seems to be a lot of actual differences (instead of practically just the name). Some sort of scam incentive to get people to buy both, probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Got Pokémon Black today, seems pretty good so far.

Major change I've noticed this time is levelling system.
    I don't have all the details (bulbapedia is horribly slow atm due t the release), so I could be misinterpreting it, but it seems that weaker pokémon (measured by level probably) get more experience for the same kills than stronger pokémon; which when combined with the fact they take less to level up makes it quite advantageous to spread out the kills (or switch out weaker pokémon so they still get a lot of XP).

Since in previous games my tactic was always to stick with my starter and make it super powerful until I found other strong/rare pokémon it means I'll have to go about it differently.
    Seems to actually make more sense and make the game much easier if you catch a lot of pokémon and rotate them for the first time in the series.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Got Pokémon Black today, seems pretty good so far.

Major change I've noticed this time is levelling system.
    I don't have all the details (bulbapedia is horribly slow atm due t the release), so I could be misinterpreting it, but it seems that weaker pokémon (measured by level probably) get more experience for the same kills than stronger pokémon; which when combined with the fact they take less to level up makes it quite advantageous to spread out the kills (or switch out weaker pokémon so they still get a lot of XP).

Since in previous games my tactic was always to stick with my starter and make it super powerful until I found other strong/rare pokémon it means I'll have to go about it differently.
    Seems to actually make more sense and make the game much easier if you catch a lot of pokémon and rotate them for the first time in the series.
    But hold up. Let's say I roll out weak Pokemon A at the start of a battle, then instantly swap him for strong Pokemon B, and Pokemon B gets the kill, does Pokemon A get more XP? Or must Pokemon A get the kill?

I don't even have a DS. I might borrow someone's and buy this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Colm! wrote: »
    But hold up. Let's say I roll out weak Pokemon A at the start of a battle, then instantly swap him for strong Pokemon B, and Pokemon B gets the kill, does Pokemon A get more XP? Or must Pokemon A get the kill?

A gets more XP, tried it earlier :P.

I've taken on a few fights by basically having my weaker pokémon Leer and Tail Whip until in the red health, then switch them out and slaughter them with good pokémon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Pygmalion wrote: »

Every pokemon game I've played (which is admittedly only 2) has this stupid flaw. It's extremely easy to beat the game with only one pokemon and much harder if you have 6.

edit: no wait I've played the gameboy advance one too now that I think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Football Manager 2011 is utterly addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I want Pokémon Black or White so so sooo much but I'm refusing to buy it until after my exams as I know it will consume my life until I finish it. I've spent the past couple of days actively not thinking about the fact I am and will be missing out for a long long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    I want Pokémon Black or White so so sooo much but I'm refusing to buy it until after my exams as I know it will consume my life until I finish it. I've spent the past couple of days actively not thinking about the fact I am and will be missing out for a long long time

Ditto. Stay strong! Support group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I'm holding out on Black/White, too, as they will capture my study time with Ultra Ball-like efficiency! This legendary "Victini" dude they're giving out over wifi is really tempting me to buy it now, though, gah! I don't want to miss out on the Winston Churchill of Pokémon, but I don't want to live out of a cardboard box for the rest of my days either. Stupid real life, always getting in the way of my Pokémans. :(

Thinking of picking up Pokémon White soon because Zekrom is on the box and is probably a badass. Doesn't seem to be much supply of it though, a quick search shows only Black being sold in most places which leads me to assume White is sold out simply because everybody thinks Zekrom is a badass.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of pirating Black for my PC seeing as I don't have a DS, but now I've decided this MUST be my next playthrough of Pokemon:

Advertisement