Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I'm playing through Ocarina of Time again on my N64, but this time I'm trying to do the Three Heart Challenge! You just avoid picking up the Heart Containers left after you beat each boss. So far I've been shouting "frickin' Gibdos!" a whole lot and bursting into tears whenever I see an Iron Knuckle. It's fun! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

So many games just won't work on my laptop because I've a crappy graphics chip instead of a card. So no Portal 2 or Starcraft 2 :( Incredibly annoying. It has convinced me that I should buy a new Xbox though. The new ones are apparently reliable, and not crazy expensive, so a few weeks and I'll be gaming again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

The slim is fine now, rarely hear problems about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Conquered God of War again. :)

That was fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

And most importantly, it's no longer "TF2 is free to play this week" and rather "TF2 is free for everyone to play forever with all of the maps and game modes avaliable, and the only difference is that if you didn't buy TF2 before you don't get certain minor non-gameplay benefits"

What that means: EVERYONE MUST PLAY TF2 NOW.

Valve will probably use a similar system when DOTA 2 comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

you don't get certain minor non-gameplay benefits
    a.k.a a hat. At least, I think the Proof of Purchase hat is the only thing (released in the Uber Update, at least) that is given to people who bought the game.

I just can't wait until the excessive trade chat dies down a bit. 'twas annoying before, but now it's practically the only thing I see (apart from the voice commands :P) in the chat window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Colm! wrote: »
    And most importantly, it's no longer "TF2 is free to play this week" and rather "TF2 is free for everyone to play forever with all of the maps and game modes avaliable, and the only difference is that if you didn't buy TF2 before you don't get certain minor non-gameplay benefits"

What that means: EVERYONE MUST PLAY TF2 NOW.

Valve will probably use a similar system when DOTA 2 comes out.

Installing as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Roomie bought a PS3 :D

Sweet sweet Metal Gear Solid 4...

Robby91 wrote: »
    a.k.a a hat. At least, I think the Proof of Purchase hat is the only thing (released in the Uber Update, at least) that is given to people who bought the game.
    Actually, there are some differences. Nothing major.
    HgKRf.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Colm! wrote: »
    Actually, there are some differences. Nothing major.
    You get bumped to Premium once you buy anything, even the cheapest hat

Healium wrote: »
    You get bumped to Premium once you buy anything, even the cheapest hat

You must add a minimum of €5 to your Steam Wallet to purchase the item though, so it's close enough to buying the game pre-F2P and you get an item with it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Team Fortress is amazing. I was playing it before it was free.
    I'm so hip.

marko93 wrote: »
    Team Fortress is amazing. I was playing it before it was free.
    I'm so hip.

Which badge do you have though? :pac:

I wish I had Primeval Warrior :(

Which badge do you have though? :pac:

I wish I had Primeval Warrior :(

Badge? o.o
    say whaaa now?

Badge? o.o
    say whaaa now?

One of these yokes.

Can't be hip unless you had Primeval Warrior :pac:

I have the Soldier Of Fortune one...
    Oh well.
    STILL LOVE THE GAME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The free accounts backpack space of 50 slots means you can't hold all the weapons with unique stats at once, provided you manage to play long enough to get them all. Fortunately there are enough useless weapons that you probably won't ever use so you're not missing out on too much if you choose wisely. That might not be the case with the addition of future weapons.

You also can't get the four hats that grant a set bonus, which might be an oversight on Valve's part. They might be not great, but they do have measurable effect on gameplay i.e. God damn Spies.
    You must add a minimum of €5 to your Steam Wallet to purchase the item though, so it's close enough to buying the game pre-F2P and you get an item with it :P
    You can use the remainder of that €5 to buy something else on Steam as far as I'm aware (not 100% sure, never used it). They wouldn't be at much of a loss if they ever intended on buying anything else on Steam. In that sense, the cost of a premium account is potentially €0.39 (cheapest thing in store I think) for anybody that buys through Steam. Can't blame them if they don't, outside of sales Steam is a bit of a rip-off.

You can use the remainder of that €5 to buy something else on Steam as far as I'm aware (not 100% sure, never used it).
    I've never seen the option of paying for games through the Wallet (although, it does say on the Add Funds page that you can do it... :confused:).

There's always the option of buying a hat (or two) with that money... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Bought Portal 2 tooday. Combined with vouchers I spent a total of 15 quid. Awesome.

Also, the price-fixing on Nintendo games still astounds. How can a new Portal 2 costs less than a new Mario Kart Wii, in any shop, even if Portal's on promotion. Wiidiculous.

Tried the 3DS out aswell. It's kind of cool, the depth of vision it gives you is great- kind of focuses you on whats happening. Unfortunately, I don't think it'd be worth buying if your choice of games is going to boil down to "Nintendo Olympic Holiday Party Resort" or something like that. I could see the appeal for Ocarina of Time though, the effect draws you into the game a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Anyone getting the PS Vita?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Bought a 3ds and oricana of time yesterday...

may have been expensive but I've wanted a ds for a while and I got paid so feck it.
    Really enjoying the game so far.

I'm not a massive fan of the 3DS lineup. I mean, the original DS had some top quality games. And 99% of it was awful. A lot of people are excited about the Wii U, but I had the same thoughts about the 3ds and the wii, both MAJOR disappointments.

The PS Vita? I absolutely love the look of that. If it has a decent app store (Android Market? Oh god, I hope so), it could be the greatest portable device ever. A proper middle ground between a laptop and a phone (the iPad does not fit into my pocket nor does it play WipEout). I have a job, I'm making around €250 a week, and the PSV just happens to cost that much. Worth it.

On another note, I picked up WipEout HD from the PS Store for free the other day, and the game is just MIND BLOWING. Who would have thought that futuristic combat racing games with loud bass-focused soundtracks and pretty lights everywhere could be so damn fun? Can't wait for the PSV version.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

Desire. wrote: »

Its not going to be too dear it seems so I might get it, but Im not sure about all the touch things I just want better hardware and graphics:D

I may induldge in one, provided funds allow. When is it due out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I may induldge in one, provided funds allow. When is it due out?

2012 in Europe, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

2012 in Europe, I think.
    November worldwide launch I thought? 25th or something, so it'll be on all the santa lists.

2012 in Europe, I think.
    Jackobyte wrote: »
    November worldwide launch I thought? 25th or something, so it'll be on all the santa lists.
    Seems like a good buy, depending on the release titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Finished Portal 2 yesterday. Hot dam, but it's a bloody good game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Was up ages last night playing TF2 with my friend, good craic. Was playing on the DCU Games SOC server so my ping was excellent.

Advertisement