Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Not really into vidjo games that much anymore, but Last of Us looked fairly wowserz at E3. The only game that did though, judging by the negative reaction people are having. The South Park game looked like a larf too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Nintendo saves E3 from being total pants <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

cloud493 wrote: »
    I watched their conference and it was pretty terrible. Lots of social media bullshít that nobody cares about and the only game really worth mentioning was Pikmin 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Except, no, they didn't.

Their conference was pure shit, even worse than Microsoft's. They didn't show any actual gameplay. There was one new game concept: Zombiu. All of their games were rehashes. Fuck, they were even saying that things that existed on every other platform in Batman Arkham City were all new for the wiiu. Abyssmal, nothing redeeming about it.

I thought it was good :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

So 6 months after getting it, I finally started Fallout: New Vegas (it was that or watch E3 :pac:). Does killing everyone and stealing everything in the first village muck up the game much? I really wanna be a good Guy :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I thought it was good :pac:
    Why? By what measure was this an improvement on what we've seen so far?

Pikmin. Mario. Paper mario. Luigis mansion. And the fact the company that gives me pokemon, and all their other franchises, always wins.

Pikmin. Mario. Paper mario. Luigis mansion.

"Congratulations Nintendo Customers, you get four more games which have exactly the same gameplay as their prequels. Don't worry about graphics, we're not going to improve them. And guess what: We'll still charge you full price!"
    And the fact the company that gives me pokemon, and all their other franchises, always wins.

That's a terribly deluded argument. You essentially just said that they saved a conference which was supposedly about the latest and greatest in gaming because in the past they gave you good games, despite not actually giving you anything new today. If all of nintendo's target audience is this conceited, I worry for society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

flyswatter wrote: »
    What's the honeybadger approach? In the original game I basically just killed everything! A bit more stealth used in this game. I think you have to cos if you go all gung ho you die very easily.

Honeybadgers don't give a FÚCK! :pac:

Basically, you go into every situation guns blazing. You shoot first, ask questions later. If hostages die, meh!
    "Congratulations Nintendo Customers, you get four more games which have exactly the same gameplay as their prequels. Don't worry about graphics, we're not going to improve them. And guess what: We'll still charge you full price!"

That's a terribly deluded argument. You essentially just said that they saved a conference which was supposedly about the latest and greatest in gaming because in the past they gave you good games, despite not actually giving you anything new today. If all of nintendo's target audience is this conceited, I worry for society.

I'll preface this by saying I have yet to watch the Nintendo conference.

I'm worried about Nintendo as a company. There's only so long that their fans will accept the same games over and over again. And the Wii U has the potential to cripple them, for being too tech savvy for the market that bought the Wii, and too gimmicky for the people that moved to Xbox/PS3 when the Wii came along.

I also agree that it's a completely idiotic argument to say a company wins because of past achievements.

And anyway, Watch Dogs from Ubisoft has "saved" the Expo. (Even though it didn't really need saving seeing as Microsoft, EA and Ubi at least were pretty decent while not being earth shattering.)

Now... to watch Sony and Nintendo conferences...

• Advertisement

Just got Skyrim. :)

Decided to be a Tiger-person. I literally have no idea whether that's a good race to be or not, I just chose it because it reminded me of the Turians. :pac:

The sheer level of interactivity with the world and stuff you can pick up is overwhelming, and I'm only in the Keep after just getting the bindings off!

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just got Skyrim. :)

Decided to be a Tiger-person. I literally have no idea whether that's a good race to be or not, I just chose it because it reminded me of the Turians. :pac:

The sheer level of interactivity with the world and stuff you can pick up is overwhelming, and I'm only in the Keep after just getting the bindings off!

Lollipop chainsaw is excellent :D

"Who wants to play as a pusssayy!!"

ahahahah! :)

Is it weird that I've spent the first few hours just stealing stuff? I walked into Hadvar's house and took everything in sight. Pots, pans, bread, swords. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Several years late to the party but today I started GTA Vice City. So far I've enjoyed the references to Scarface and Carlito's Way. :cool: Main guy's voice is a bit annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Main guy's voice is a bit annoying though.
    Initially, I felt that dislike was a bit undeserved so I had to check YouTube just to verify. I never remember Tommy Vercetti being so damn angry at everything. Now I feel like I should download San Andreas on Steam again (since Vice City on PC has god-awful camera control which takes away so much of the good :( )

I'm probably in the minority of GTA fans that doesn't really care for VC at all. I find it far too cartoonish, Tommy controls like a stick figure or something, doesn't feel like he has any weight to him. Kinda irritating.

I guess it didn't help that I played SA first, but shur you'd have that!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

I'm probably in the minority of GTA fans that doesn't really care for VC at all. I find it far too cartoonish, Tommy controls like a stick figure or something, doesn't feel like he has any weight to him. Kinda irritating.

I guess it didn't help that I played SA first, but shur you'd have that!

While my recollection of the series is a bit hazy (beyond the fact that they were fun, although GTA IV was a letdown for me in that regard), I guess Vice City was still in that madcap antics phase. At least, I don't recall any of the GTA games prior to San Andreas being particularly serious.

It's been way too long since I've played them (other than San Andreas because the Multi Theft Auto mod is bloody brilliant :D) - I should try GTA IV again, if only in the hope that there is some opportunity within the game to punch that idiot Roman in the face :pac:

Robby91 wrote: »
    While my recollection of the series is a bit hazy (beyond the fact that they were fun, although GTA IV was a letdown for me in that regard), I guess Vice City was still in that madcap antics phase. At least, I don't recall any of the GTA games prior to San Andreas being particularly serious.

It's been way too long since I've played them (other than San Andreas because the Multi Theft Auto mod is bloody brilliant :D) - I should try GTA IV again, if only in the hope that there is some opportunity within the game to punch that idiot Roman in the face :pac:

Get the TLAD DLC for IV!! You get to kidnap Roman and threaten him with a shotgun! :pac:

I guess it's that I prefer more serious games that's the main reason VC and SA aren't as fun for me. I loved IV.

I had this problem of not really enjoying madcap games with Saints Row 3. I loved Saints Row 2, but then in SR3 they just went over the edge into the realm of "This sh1t's no longer believeable" and I lost interest.

Several years late to the party but today I started GTA Vice City. So far I've enjoyed the references to Scarface and Carlito's Way. :cool: Main guy's voice is a bit annoying though.

Egads man, that's Ray Liotta you're after slandering!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Egads man, that's Ray Liotta you're after slandering!

:D I did actually say to myself at one point "this guy sounds like Ray Liotta"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I recently bought Fallout 3, out of sheer boredom and I never got it when it came out. I really liked it.

But,
    The dad dies? After all that crap, he dies? Are you ****ting me? -.-

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I recently bought Fallout 3, out of sheer boredom and I never got it when it came out. I really liked it.

But,
    The dad dies? After all that crap, he dies? Are you ****ting me? -.-

How does it hold up? I was thinking of picking it up myself a few nights ago when I was browsing games on Gamestop. Is it a big loss not having played any of the other ones do you think?

How does it hold up? I was thinking of picking it up myself a few nights ago when I was browsing games on Gamestop. Is it a big loss not having played any of the other ones do you think?

Buy Fallout New Vegas (game and all DLC), you can get the Ultimate Edition for around 40 squid now.

I also think Oblivion is essential before playing Skyrim, it's so bizarre in comparison with Skyrim now.

Also:

Buy Fallout New Vegas (game and all DLC), you can get the Ultimate Edition for around 40 squid now.

I also think Oblivion is essential before playing Skyrim, it's so bizarre in comparison with Skyrim now.

Oddly, I think I'd be completely lost playing Skyrim had I not played Dragon Age. Very similar games AFAICS.

Same question about New Vegas though, will I be completely lost storywise or will it be easy enough to pick up?

Also, anyone else seen the new SimCity: Social trailer?
    It's bad. Really bad.

Oddly, I think I'd be completely lost playing Skyrim had I not played Dragon Age. Very similar games AFAICS.

Same question about New Vegas though, will I be completely lost storywise or will it be easy enough to pick up?

It's bad. Really bad.

No, New Vegas starts you off with a completely new story, much like Skyrim does. Of course previous Elder Scrolls games set you up somewhat for the mechanics, but they're all pretty easy to pick up and play. Once you've got a hang of one Bethesda RPG, barring a few tweaks, you'll understand them all.

I also found New Vegas more enjoyable than Skyrim (says the guy who's played Skyrim for probably 100 hours...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I've been playing New Vegas for the last month with no prior Fallout experience, things dont really make sense at first but as you advance in the story and complete side quests and talk to people it all really comes together - what happened in the past, the factions, the technology. Its a great game with truckloads of dialogue, might get the DLC and then Fallout 3 if I can acquire the fundage.

I think the number one thing I want in the next gen consoles is for them to be quiet. I have the Slim 360, and unless you install the game on the HD(at which point it's almost silent) it's far too loud. So annoying at night when you can't have the TV up too loud, but the hum of the console encroaches on the ambiance.... :\

Anyone played Thomas Was Alone? I played the demo for five minutes and fell in love with it. It's €7.99, and you get both the PC and MAC versions DRM free.

It's a cool little platformer. Hard to describe, play the demo.

• Advertisement

If Sony don't have super cool news for vita games at gamescom or whatever its called, I'm trading mine in for one of those 3DS XL's :cool:

Advertisement