Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I picked up a few old games last week, ones I used to have/still have on PS2 on 360 and am now playing through again for added Achievements.

Started with The Godfather: The Game, and I'd forgotten how good it was. It's so much fun to go around extorting bakers and butchers. :P

On the downside, I randomly started thinking about who it was that succeeded Tom Hagen as consigliere, I now have 42 (that's FORTY-TWO) wikia tabs open on different Godfather things... Wikia is worse than Wikipedia. :\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I picked up a few old games last week, ones I used to have/still have on PS2 on 360 and am now playing through again for added Achievements.

Started with The Godfather: The Game, and I'd forgotten how good it was. It's so much fun to go around extorting bakers and butchers. :P

On the downside, I randomly started thinking about who it was that succeeded Tom Hagen as consigliere, I now have 42 (that's FORTY-TWO) wikia tabs open on different Godfather things... Wikia is worse than Wikipedia. :\

What an amazing game. Played that from start to finish several times on the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Just played through the Ratchet and Clank series. Am now stuck between buying the Borderlands GOTY Edition or Dark Souls, thoughts?

Just played through the Ratchet and Clank series. Am now stuck between buying the Borderlands GOTY Edition or Dark Souls, thoughts?

Dark Souls is excellent! It'll wine and dine you, take you home, have its way with you and never call you back. Few months later you'll find out your pregnant, it'll tell you to deal with it. It'll never love you and it'll treat you rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Imo borderlands was muck esp. if you're soloing it.

• Advertisement

Dark Souls it is :) Better prepare to die I guess!

So Xbox One requires an internet connection every 24 hours. No internet, no games.

In the words of Ghandi, "**** THAT!"

Instant no-buy from me on principal alone. Here's to hoping Sony aren't going down the same route, although now that MS have said it, I think they'd be fools not to tbh. An easy win for relations with publishers. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The last of us a week today :D:D

Can't believe The Last of Us escaped my memory! Reviews look promising, never been let down by Naughty Dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

cloud493 wrote: »
    The last of us a week today :D:D

Man of Steel is out the same day. Awesome day to be had. :D

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Man of Steel is out the same day. Awesome day to be had. :D

My plan is

Town
    Buy the last of us
    Man of steel
    Go home and play the last of us
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

cloud493 wrote: »
    My plan is

Town
    Buy the last of us
    Man of steel
    Go home and play the last of us
    :D

You Bastard! You stole my plan! I shall fly home!

Corkfeen wrote: »
    You Bastard! You stole my plan! I shall fly home!

See you at man of steel :p

E3 tomorrow. :)

While I know it's going to crush my hopes and dreams (lookin' at you Sony), I'm still oddly excited. :o

All Sony have to do is not do something ridiculously f-n stupid and they should trump that *****y xbox one. (I may be biased :D )

All Sony have to do is not do something ridiculously f-n stupid and they should trump that *****y xbox one. (I may be biased :D )

But from a business point of view, can they afford not to go down the same route as Microsoft with the always online? Look at it from a publisher point of view, you're releasing a game, who're you going to be more likely to give better deals/DLC to? Xbox One with its DRM and used game fee, or Sony with a traditional model?

If Sony had anything good to say, you'd think they'd have been shouting it from the rooftops for the past few weeks to capitalise on the pissed off keyboard warriors' rage and try to get a few more thousand preorders out of it.

Now, I guess it's possible that they're gonna come out on stage and say "No DRM, no always online, we <3 yhoo all!", but you'll excuse me if I'm a bit cynical that there's a shred of decency left in the industry these days.

But from a business point of view, can they afford not to go down the same route as Microsoft with the always online? Look at it from a publisher point of view, you're releasing a game, who're you going to be more likely to give better deals/DLC to? Xbox One with its DRM and used game fee, or Sony with a traditional model?

If Sony had anything good to say, you'd think they'd have been shouting it from the rooftops for the past few weeks to capitalise on the pissed off keyboard warriors' rage and try to get a few more thousand preorders out of it.

Now, I guess it's possible that they're gonna come out on stage and say "No DRM, no always online, we <3 yhoo all!", but you'll excuse me if I'm a bit cynical that there's a shred of decency left in the industry these days.

Yeah I understand your point alright, I would just find it hard to believe, I mean, as it stands they have won a huge chunk of the Xbox folk over already with the Xbox' always online model.

As it stands, bear in mind I'm not fully clued in to the debate so may be wrong here, but the Ps4 seems to be set to vastly outsell the Xbox One. If Ps4 go always online as well, that huge chunk they've won over will be gone again.

My point is, from a publisher point of few, which console are they going to prefer, the one that is selling games or the one that isn't? That may be over simplified but I think you get my general point :) Ps4 sells more consoles, it sells more games!

Either way, if both consoles go always online, it's going to put a tonne of gamers into a position where neither console is a viable option, where we can go from there I'm not sure!

Yeah I understand your point alright, I would just find it hard to believe, I mean, as it stands they have won a huge chunk of the Xbox folk over already with the Xbox' always online model.

As it stands, bear in mind I'm not fully clued in to the debate so may be wrong here, but the Ps4 seems to be set to vastly outsell the Xbox One. If Ps4 go always online as well, that huge chunk they've won over will be gone again.

My point is, from a publisher point of few, which console are they going to prefer, the one that is selling games or the one that isn't? That may be over simplified but I think you get my general point :) Ps4 sells more consoles, it sells more games!

Not oversimplified at all. Great point.

I just hope Sony see it that way. :D
    Either way, if both consoles go always online, it's going to put a tonne of gamers into a position where neither console is a viable option, where we can go from there I'm not sure!

Wii U?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA, no seriously, if both are always online, I'm putting €400 in my PC fund and finishing with consoles completely.

Wii U?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA, no seriously, if both are always online, I'm putting €400 in my PC fund and finishing with consoles completely.

At first I was like....Wii U....is, is he serious?!

Yeah that would be an idea, however I haven't the slightest clue about gaming in PC's. Is a gaming laptop a viable option? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Kiefer Sutherland's Big Boss voice seems a bit crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

k Sony win. I wasn't even going to buy a console this time around but the bloody thing is only €400 on launch.

So the Ps4 is 100 quid cheaper, doesn't require an always on connection and allows for pre-owned games.

I was going to get the Ps4 anyway because I'm fanboyish like that, but damn! Fair f*cks to Sony! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Surely microsoft will change something now, their not that retarded.

anirishlad wrote: »
    Surely microsoft will change something now, their not that retarded.

I don't think they will tbh. At least not before the console launches. They have to have known that this would not be well received by gamers, just like they knew when they set up Xbox Live that it'd piss people off that it was Broadband only.

Part of me wishes them well with this risky move, because I'd hate to have a one console market (that doesn't end well for anyone, least of all the consumers), but another part of me wants to see them burn for, what I would deem to be, a sh*tty business practice that will probably end up hurting the industry.

I'm severely hungover but Dark Souls just came in the post. Let the games begin!!

I'm severely hungover but Dark Souls just came in the post. Let the games begin!!

God speed and may the gods be kind to you on your journey

Dark Souls is possibly my favourite game ever.

Also this,
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151675469526023

Look at the comments!

Operation "Fix My NES" is underway.

So far, I've taken the thing apart twice, replaced the 72pin, cleaned it out, broken one of the screwwells, and have managed to get it working as long as I hold the cartridge down with my finger.

Operation "Fix My NES" was a failure. Don't know how I managed it, but it seems I shorted something and now it won't power up. Oh well, 30 years is a good innings for console I guess. :(

RIP NES 1999-2013.

In other news,

HOLY ****ING **** **** JESUS MOTHER****ING WHAT?!

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

• Advertisement

Their change of mind doesn't warrant any cookie points. I suspect the change came from the impending doom of losing a lot of potential buyers.

Advertisement