Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sue Ryder shop in Abbey Sq. seems to be open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The fancy cast iron surrounds on the trees in Rafter Street are being replaced with cement which looks messy and is a further waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Dealz shopfront is taking shape,hopefully not too garish.

kneemos wrote: »
    The Dealz shopfront is taking shape,hopefully not too garish.

And here it is on http://enniscorthy4kids.blogspot.ie/

image1.JPG

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The fancy cast iron surrounds on the trees in Rafter Street are being replaced with cement which looks messy and is a further waste of money.

Nobody will notice,there's not enough people on the street to even cop they've been changed.

• Advertisement

So, just who is behind the 'development' work at the Athenaeum? There hasn't been a post on the Athenaeum Restoration website http://enniscorthyathenaeum.com/ since July? Have they been taken over by the Council? :confused:

The Castle Bar has been converted into a sport and music venue with eight screens apparently,by the sign over the door.

The Castle Bar has been converted into a sport and music venue with eight screens apparently,by the sign over the door.

It always had a pile of screens. On my rare visits I always found the staff obliging but it was never a pub with any atmosphere.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It always had a pile of screens. On my rare visits I always found the staff obliging but it was never a pub with any atmosphere.

€3 pints when matches are on it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

It's now called "The Hill".

• Advertisement

Item on Nationwide about making Brooklyn.

Notice Ann Doyle doing the rounds with a camera crew earlier.

Dealz to open within the next 2 weeks.I was also told that a certain number of retailers in the town objected to it-the usual suspects.:rolleyes:

tumblr_lnohilxlcl1qm7srzo1_500.gif

Got a look at The Echo for the first time in years.The Enniscorthy content didn't make up much more than a page!What's the point of that?
    Had to check a few times to see if it was the Enniscorthy edition.

Those free sheets have way more local information.

Tarring the Scarwalsh roundabout on a Friday evening.
    Nighmare,avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Tarring the Scarwalsh roundabout on a Friday evening.
    Nighmare,avoid at all costs.

Yep, got stuck out there heading (north) for Monageer, total mayhem.

Had to turn back and go through town which wasn't too bad at all as there was very little getting through the roundabout heading south towards town.

Unusually, this weeks Enniscorthy Guardian is full of interesting titbits not least of which is the incredible decision to replace the 'Beak with the Leak' with a 16 metre high stainless steel flagpole artwork. Who comes up with these mad ideas, who pays for them and who is asked for their opinions before more of this third rate ****e is inflicted on the town?

E%2BGuardian.PNG

In other news, Dealz is to open on Thursday 29th with the first 100 lucky shoppers eligible to receive a €5 voucher to spend in the shop - I think I'll start queueing now. :D

The fresh surface at Templeshannon as you come over the bridge is starting to crumble already.Won't be long until we see the shovel of tar brigade out "fixing":rolleyes: it.

Quiet before the storm! I'm first in the queue for the big opening - here since yesterday. :D

dealz.jpg
    http://enniscorthy4kids.blogspot.ie/

The town centre was unusually busy this morning,then I realised Dealz had opened.Imagine what it'd be like if we had something in the Old Dunnes..it might actually be like the old days when it was a thriving retail centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

zerks wrote: »
    The town centre was unusually busy this morning,then I realised Dealz had opened.Imagine what it'd be like if we had something in the Old Dunnes..it might actually be like the old days when it was a thriving retail centre.

it would still be overpriced- poorly stocked with very limited choices and terrible parking.
    Add into that the traffic chaos caused during school days etc and you've got the reason most people go to Wexford .
    A tatty British pound shop will not fix Enniscorthy.
    Nor would putting a business into the old dunnes stores.

• Advertisement

I went in for a look at lunchtime and the place was heaving, but I saw nothing that would make me want to go back. It's basically a larger version of the Euro shop across the road but at least it's two less empty shop units.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robinmgp

Dropped by Dealz only to see the lettering has been sabotaged already!
    Picture @ i.imgur.com/axAOyOU.jpg
    Source: Enniscorthy 4 Kids

barney 20v wrote: »
    it would still be overpriced- poorly stocked with very limited choices and terrible parking.
    Add into that the traffic chaos caused during school days etc and you've got the reason most people go to Wexford .
    A tatty British pound shop will not fix Enniscorthy.
    Nor would putting a business into the old dunnes stores.

Anything that increases footfall is encouraging for present and possible future stores to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Anything that increases footfall is encouraging for present and possible future stores to open.

Perhaps if it was a shop with substance- and not one that mainly poorer people head for. If ye think that dealz or shops akin to it will bring back business into the town I think you are in for a shock! The traders in Enniscorthy ( not just the section so often slated on here) had it too good for too long. the by-pass will seal the faith of the town. and rightly so. Take the schools out of Enniscorthy and you're left with very little else of value apart from the sporting organisations. Bad pubs/ bookies, chippers and lads walking greyhounds = Enniscorthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

barney 20v wrote: »
    Perhaps if it was a shop with substance- and not one that mainly poorer people head for. If ye think that dealz or shops akin to it will bring back business into the town I think you are in for a shock! The traders in Enniscorthy ( not just the section so often slated on here) had it too good for too long. the by-pass will seal the faith of the town. and rightly so. Take the schools out of Enniscorthy and you're left with very little else of value apart from the sporting organisations. Bad pubs/ bookies, chippers and lads walking greyhounds = Enniscorthy.

Unfortunately, that's true. And if people think all of Wexford Town is booming, you would be wrong. Business at the North End and the side streets are doing as badly as Enniscorthy, with loads of vacant units. Only the 'main strip' and the out of town retails parks are doing well

Parking is what people are complaining about in Enniscorthy,it's gas-some would drive into the shops if they could rather than walk a few yards.I've had 3 people this morning moan about lack of spaces near Dealz.There's a multi storey car park around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

By passes have proven themselves in putting heart back into the centre of a town that has been by passed. Despite all the fears over the years of a town becoming a ghost town afaik the opposite became true when a by pass was built.

I hope this will be the case for Enniscorthy

vicwatson wrote: »
    By passes have proven themselves in putting heart back into the centre of a town that has been by passed. Despite all the fears over the years of a town becoming a ghost town afaik the opposite became true when a by pass was built.

I hope this will be the case for Enniscorthy

Avoid at all costs I'd say at the moment.
    Feel sorry for anyone who has to get through it every evening.

Gave directions to a woman on a backroad at Scarwalsh the other day,she was heading for Fethard and someone had told her to turn off to avoid the delays at Enniscorthy.

J Donohoes bottling yard went into receivership but was sold almost immediately,it seems the Hardware is also on the market.

• Advertisement

Cathy Keane's excellent "Brooklyn" photobook is selling like hotcakes. I was amused to see that both Del Monte and Judgement Day (formerly of this parish) appear iin the book several times. Available in Byrne's. :D

11147060_869885473119370_3473606612409925602_n.jpg?oh=21ee43d067167d57dbb143c90615adf9&oe=56B4BC56

Advertisement