Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

sjb25 wrote: »
    I suddenly understand your username :/

You're the first. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

sjb25 wrote: »
    I suddenly understand your username :/

That took you a while,ah Del Monte is not the worst.

I was at the commemoration today,it was very good and dignified.As far as I know Irish TV will be showing a programme on it Sunday week.

The Proclamation read by Lt. Killian Doyle in Abbey Square at the 1916 Commemoration.

995320_1018922081507260_3458020711322174686_n.jpg?oh=8bbae5fac822b72d87e05b1f88846780&oe=57816D02

12401008_1102898409761375_5413498070449405686_n.jpg?oh=0a84f28be7fb286e1e0111a0c4ff67b9&oe=578E95B6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Zerks - I presume the bottom pic is the 'Patriot's Flag' by the new bridge?

From what I could see on the news this evening, a tricolour flew from the 'post'.The tricolour looked tiny and utterly out of proportion.

Is this the finished article?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

blindsider wrote: »
    Zerks - I presume the bottom pic is the 'Patriot's Flag' by the new bridge?

From what I could see on the news this evening, a tricolour flew from the 'post'.The tricolour looked tiny and utterly out of proportion.

Is this the finished article?

Not that small.https://m.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10208759324410957&id=1547865041&set=gm.769438516525172&source=48&refid=8&_ft_=qid.6267230680928415308%3Amf_story_key.-7287151685984710412&__tn__=E.

• Advertisement

Ooh Ah Up the Ra playing over the PA system.??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

kneemos wrote: »
    Ooh Ah Up the Ra playing over the PA system.??

I heard Seven Drunken Nights one morning last week when I was around the square

That FB link is briste Kneemos, but thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

The new flagpole looks well, now if they could only get the flag to fly it would look better. It's just laying flaccid beside the pole, while all the other tricolours on the bridge and elsewhere are flying full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

TheChevron wrote: »
    The new flagpole looks well, now if they could only get the flag to fly it would look better. It's just laying flaccid beside the pole, while all the other tricolours on the bridge and elsewhere are flying full.

have they not raised the flag?

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    have they not raised the flag?

Oh it's raised. But it just won't fly. Maybe its caught on something. It just lies limp against the pole.

Has anyone seen the flag fly in full glory yet?

TheChevron wrote: »
    Oh it's raised. But it just won't fly. Maybe its caught on something. It just lies limp against the pole.

Has anyone seen the flag fly in full glory yet?

It's sheltered from the west.A good southerly might raise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Yeah, the flag pole is way too thick.. it just shields the flag depending on which way the wind is blowing. It does look rather limp and lame. The pole itself, I find a lot more aesthetically pleasing than that other pile of shíte that stood before it.

Car crash at the roundabout at the top of Bohreen Hill the other evening, cars mangled but nobody hurt. The only thing that surprised me about the crash was, it was the first time I'd seen a crash at this roundabout since it was built. If only I had a euro for the number of near misses I've witnessed there over the years. Typically it's either car pulling out in front of you irrespective of the right of way, or a Mexican stand-off on all 4 entry points.

The flagpole is a pile of ****e too, and you would have thought that somebody would have realised that flagpoles - the clue is the title - only work if it is a thin pole rather than something resembling a factory chimney. Still no sign of Seamus Rafter getting his pointing fixed either.

A Council website for the flood defence programme. Plan details and pictures of what it will supposedly look like. https://www.google.ie/url?q=http://enniscorthyfds.ie/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi2z_j-z-vLAhXFkA8KHV9gBBMQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNFLh1l1bD5wEqBjw4HpAvUDhLSBaw

Shannon-after-wide-1024x677.jpg

enniscorthy.jpg

People got their knickers in a twist over digging gravel out of the river but that was done for centuries,the gravel banks between the 2 bridges only appeared after the main drainage works were completed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

zerks wrote: »
    Shannon-after-wide-1024x677.jpg

is the picture also reflecting the inhabitants of Enniscorthy who are still wearing fashionable 1980's clothes? :pac:

kneemos wrote: »
    It's sheltered from the west.A good southerly might raise it.

Praise the Lord!

1.jpg?screen

bruschi wrote: »
    is the picture also reflecting the inhabitants of Enniscorthy who are still wearing fashionable 1980's clothes? :pac:

And not a can of cheap cider between them.

I passed the flag at 7pm this evening and it was pathetic... wet and limp. A tragic representation of our national flag.

• Advertisement

The Athenaeum flag - left flying day and night since it was raised - has been shredded by the wind and some of the retaining ropes have become detached. Still, it's none of my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I passed the flag at 7pm this evening and it was pathetic... wet and limp. A tragic representation of our national flag.

The flag is tied down, it must be to stop it tearing.

I saw it earlier when I was walking past.

Aren't flags supposed to raised and lowered at dawn/sunset each day?

The National Flag should be displayed in the open only between sunrise and sunset, except on the occasion of public meetings, processions, or funerals, when it may be displayed for the duration of such functions. - See more at: http://www.military.ie/info-centre/defence-forces-history/the-national-flag/#sthash.p2KKwVlA.dpuf

I know that this is a bit of a military thing, but The Patriot's Flag honours an Armed Uprising, while the Athenaeum was their HQ.

Sounds like someone, who hasn't a clue, got a 'brain-wave' and now it just looks silly, and possibly disrespectful. It's really not that hard to do the right thing sometimes, yet we persist in messing things up......

Plus ca change......

The merry band of Saturday morning water protestors haven't given up I see.

Their dedication at least is admirable.

I saw something posted on a local FB page.Some asshole jumped out of a 01 Peugot and urinated on the plaque dedicated to the Gardai killed opposite St.Patrick's school.He was caught on camera but has a hood up.

Either somebody has changed the flag or its shrunk in the rain.

The poor old flag... on Wednesday it was quite windy and, as hard as it tried to fly, it was just tangled up and going nowhere.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Won't be long before somebody puts a match to it.

Our local minority have done a fair job stripping out a lot of valuable metal etc. already.I know a few people who still work there and they were scourged with them.

It's gas that the Co.Council had new offices built for nigh on €50 million,when for a fraction of that,the old St.Senans could have been brought up to scratch to be used by them instead.

Advertisement