Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I think a large part of it all boils down to something we've discussed already -

Enniscorthy not being an attractive town for shoppers... which ultimatley means fewer families about the place... which ultimatley means less business for places like the cinema, swimming pool etc (I'd name more facilities if there were any)

An awful lot of people are heading to Wexford, Gorey, Waterford, Carlow and Arklow to visit the shopping centres and other amenities.

You look at Enniscorthy and it has f*ck all draw for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

jpb1974 wrote: »

An awful lot of people are heading to Wexford, Gorey, Waterford, Carlow and Arklow to visit the shopping centres and other amenities.

You look at Enniscorthy and it has f*ck all draw for people.

It is difficult for a town to compete when there is no decent sized shopping centre or major retail outlets in the town, you would imagine that the town council could be doing something to attract the larger outlets which would then attract the visitors who would filter down to the smaller outlets

you would imagine that the town council could be doing something to attract the larger outlets

Strangely enough it's quite the opposite in Enniscorthy - the attention has turned to protecting the existing local businesses and keeping the likes of Tesco out of the town :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Strangely enough it's quite the opposite in Enniscorthy - the attention has turned to protecting the existing local businesses and keeping the likes of Tesco out of the town :(

Too true,the protectionist attitude in the town has done more harm than good,if anybody wants proof just head to Wexford town any given weekend and they'll meet more Enniscorthy people there than they would in their own town.It's a pity as Enniscorthy is perfectly placed in the centre of the county but this fact has never been used to the towns advantage.
    Now with the cinema closing it's another attraction gone and the potential for another eyesore to develop in the town,perhaps the building could be redeveloped as a theatre seeing as the Atheneum looks like it will never return to it's former glory.There's very little to do at night in the town as it is,go to a near empty pub with no atmosphere grab a takeaway from one of the few that bother to open past 11pm anymore because there's nobody around and go home.After that there's shag all else nightlife especially if you don't want to go drinking,no wonder the local Xtravision is one of the busiest branches in the country.

Have you guys considered actually trying to take over the cinema?

Following on from the 'big society' aspect of the UK, there seems scope in Enniscorthy for the locals to actually step back in and try and turn around some failing businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Have you guys considered actually trying to take over the cinema?

Following on from the 'big society' aspect of the UK, there seems scope in Enniscorthy for the locals to actually step back in and try and turn around some failing businesses.

Come on, I know you mean well but what planet are you living on? The country, and this county in particular, and most of the population is broke; and anybody with a few bob salted away would best holding on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

hi, grew up in town in 70/80s, moved to Dublin in mid 90's and occasional visitor now.

a bit of a random question when in primary school a teacher told us that a film has shot (not sure how much of it) in Enniscorthy in the 60's, i think Enniscorthy was used as a French town.

Anyone know if this is true, what its called. Would be really interested in trying to locate it.

Some really interesting thoughts/ideas/comments on previous pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

hi, grew up in town in 70/80s, moved to Dublin in mid 90's and occasional visitor now.

a bit of a random question when in primary school a teacher told us that a film has shot (not sure how much of it) in Enniscorthy in the 60's, i think Enniscorthy was used as a French town.

Anyone know if this is true, what its called. Would be really interested in trying to locate it.

I'm from Wex town so not an expert on this...
    I do remember some film which was shot in Enniscorthy, something like this Irish lad lived aboard and had to come home to Ireland and the town used was Enniscorthy...now i could be completely wrong on this!!
    Someone from Enniscorthy may know more???

The Violent Enemy (1967)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063781/

Available on DVD from Amazon.co.uk here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Violent-Enemy-DVD-Susan-Hampshire/dp/B000LP4SU2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297952439&sr=8-3

Interesting on the You Tube clip the town is flooded - again!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The Film is called The Underground http://nashville.thistv.com/view/movie/2609/Underground it starred Robert Goulet. It is a WW2 movie. Enniscorthy was made up to be a French town a lot of the locals were used as extras.

The other film that was The Violent Enemy (1967) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063781/ starred Susan Hampshire
    about an IRA operative. It was shot in Enniscorthy and Courtown

• Advertisement

Underground (1970) featured Enniscorthy Railway Station.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066505/

mv5bmjm5otgynduwof5bml5banbnxkftztcwmzgznzyymq-_v1-_sy317_.jpg?w=209&h=317

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

scaller wrote: »
    The other film that was The Violent Enemy (1967) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063781/ starred Susan Hampshire
    about an IRA operative. It was shot in Enniscorthy and Courtown

That was the one i was thinking of...fair play to you...

Another shortlived venture bites the dust. "Twinkle" boutique in Castle Street is holding a closing down sale. :(

twinkle%2B001.JPG

Another shortlived venture bites the dust. "Twinkle" boutique in Castle Street is holding a closing down sale. :(

That lasted long-only opened at beginning of October,there's too much competition in town for that type of shop.It seems every 2nd place is a womans clothes and accessory shop.Be interesting to make a count of them,there's not enough footfall trade/money in the town to support them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Why are friday nights in enniscorthy so quiet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Shops like "Twinkle" seem to pop up and disappear very quickly in most towns. I often wonder just how many necklaces they would need to sell every day just to break even:eek:.

Its a shame its closed down, there are so many empty shops in Enniscorthy, and New Ross is no better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Why are friday nights in enniscorthy so quiet?

Its not just Enniscorthy mate. A mass exodus seems to happen in Wexford also at 6pm on Friday evenings. Feck all around for a big town. Seems Fridays have gone to sh*te everywere to be honest. I dont know a club anywhere in the country that isint struggling on Fridays at the moment.

Its not just Enniscorthy mate. A mass exodus seems to happen in Wexford also at 6pm on Friday evenings. Feck all around for a big town. Seems Fridays have gone to sh*te everywere to be honest. I dont know a club anywhere in the country that isint struggling on Fridays at the moment.

Good point...there's no obvious reason for it though. Well I know times are hard etc...but no work the next day you'd thing there migh even be 20% of the crowd 10 years ago going out but we don't even get that.

Good point...there's no obvious reason for it though. Well I know times are hard etc...but no work the next day you'd thing there migh even be 20% of the crowd 10 years ago going out but we don't even get that.

People now budget for one night out and it's usually a Saturday.Even so there's very little going on in Enniscorthy at night to entice anybody out and that causes the a cycle where anyone potentially organising anything won't bother as they don't see the numbers through their doors.
    It's gone to the stage that all you see on the streets at night are boy racers doing endless laps of the town.

I think we should do something about it. Seriously.

• Advertisement

When we were younger the ritual was a few drinks with the lads before we hit the town but now nobody bothers going out,choosing to stay in and drink at home with friends-even the younger crowd who usually don't have a worry except their social lives.
    I'm sure some posters here can remember the times when some pubs in town had a 1 out 1 in policy because they were that busy,no need for that anymore.Fair play to Toss Kavanaghs for bucking the trend,one of the few success stories in the town,well done to the lads running it.Considering it's on a street with nearly as many places closed as are open it's doing sterling trade.

Just looking at what some of the places are doing. Some big bands to benedicts..,the square, according to their Facebook page are making serious improvements - new carvery..lower prices across the board..live music every Friday..they seem to be giving away a lot of dinner vouchers too...can it last? I was out in town last Friday and it was dead as a doornail...you have to ask yourself..should the places even bother? No offence to the lads behind the square, in fact I admire and respect the job they're doing, but I fear it's all in vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Thanks for that scaller/big vern & judgement day, appreciate info.

If you have the time I recommend calling up to The Moyne today and checking out the condition of the road at the Greenville Lane junction. It's most definetly one of the sorriest roads you will see around the town. After the rain all the botch filled potholes have emptied out for the gazillionth time.

Then factor in the decision to grant planning permission, for I don't know how many hundred houses, in this area over the past 10-15 has increased the traffic considerably - at a guess I'd say by a factor of 10... so that doesn't help matter either.

Not only is it a disgrace it is also extremely dangerous. People are having to drive all over the road in an attempt to protect their cars from damage.

Botch filled the other week, washed away today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

The lack of people hitting the town, any town, over the last few months on a Friday night could be to do with the amount of people that have returned to college during this recession. Look at this way, if you go out on a Friday night, that's Friday night gone and most of Saturday on your hangover and by Sunday it's hard to get motivated to study and you're catching up on the other things you've missed over the last two days as well.

This is the reason why a lot of people I know in college don't go out on a Friday night.

Work has resumed on Redmonds pub in Templeshannon,a risky move in this climate but that end of town needs something.The amount of empty buildings is shocking and an eyesore.

Work has resumed on Redmonds pub in Templeshannon

Aka The Tavern? Used to be a good pub a long time ago (circa 15 years back).

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Another pub? Doesn't seem like a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Aka The Tavern? Used to be a good pub a long time ago (circa 15 years back).

It did used to be a "place to go" sort of pub 20-odd years ago, but the last time I was home it was packed with thugs, twats and general ****. I was quite surprised at how it had gone from being a slightly cool hangout for the rugby crowd to being a dive.

• Advertisement

Bearhunter - Thanks for the colourful description. I wonder if the reincarnation will be as exciting? Definitely a strange time to refurbish a pub given the number of closures and reduced opening hours in many other establishments.

Advertisement