Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wexford would be a better option imo,as was said before a lot of estates in Gorey empty out at 6am and people only arrive home at 8pm as they commute to Dublin.It's still a busy town though and has a lot of retired folk from Dublin living there along with commuters.
    Enniscorthy for the quiet life as it's like a ghost town seeing as everybody heads to Wexford or Gorey to shop,plus if you don't like hills then Enniscorthy is ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

zerks wrote: »
    Wexford would be a better option imo,as was said before a lot of estates in Gorey empty out at 6am and people only arrive home at 8pm as they commute to Dublin.It's still a busy town though and has a lot of retired folk from Dublin living there along with commuters.
    Enniscorthy for the quiet life as it's like a ghost town seeing as everybody heads to Wexford or Gorey to shop,plus if you don't like hills then Enniscorthy is ruled out.

All in all Wexford sounds very positive. We are planning to go there shortly. We are 57 and 68 but like a good night out in the pub and a bit of traditional music. I would also like to get involved in the community and join some groups etc. I like walking but my husband has knee problems so is not able to walk far unfortunately. Do you know if they have an Aldi in Wexford, its my favourite supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

Zelda

You're in luck! Three Aldis in Wexford town.

Missent wrote: »
    Zelda

You're in luck! Three Aldis in Wexford town.

Ah thats the place for me then!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Being from Enniscorthy, I would highly recommend that you do not move there unfortunately :(

Terrible town - desolate, boring, no amenities, no night life, terrible traffic, awful local representation, atrocious shopping.

Pains me so much to say all that. Had/has so much potential but years and years of ineptitude from local councillors/politicians have turned it into one of the worst spots in a what is great county.

Good looking place and looks great in photos otherwise.

• Advertisement

Rackard wrote: »
    Being from Enniscorthy, I would highly recommend that you do not move there unfortunately :(

Terrible town - desolate, boring, no amenities, no night life, terrible traffic, awful local representation, atrocious shopping.

Pains me so much to say all that. Had/has so much potential but years and years of ineptitude from local councillors/politicians have turned it into one of the worst spots in a what is great county.

Good looking place and looks great in photos otherwise.

Ah that's a shame, what do you think of Wexford Town?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Ah that's a shame, what do you think of Wexford Town?

Thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057489466

Being from Enniscorthy myself,I have to agree with the other posters,looks nice but feck all in it.Wexford has left it behind due to progressive thinking while small minded greed from the minority who wield the power in Enniscorthy have turned it into a retail desert.

Work going on where the Chinese used to be in Templeshannon (beside Datapac)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Flag could do with a wipe down,it's covered in long streaks of something I presume is bird shoite.
    Maybe it's meant to be self cleaning and it's due to the dry weather.

According to the local papers there will be no County Show this year,after almost a century and a half it won't take place "due to financial and other issues".

First The Strawberry Fair dies a death and now the County Show.Just shows how far the town has fallen.Look at other towns that invested in small festivals and turned them into something special,not here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Stuck in traffic between Mr. Price and Hendricks Tyres for about 20 mins yesterday trying to get into town, circa midday. 6 wheeler articulated lorry having great fun trying to get around the bend at the old graveyard there... good thing the footpath there serves pedestrians and large commercial vehicles. Luckily there were no ongoing tyre repairs on the side of the road, this helped a bit.

Still scratching my head as to how this type of situation is going to rejuvenate Templeshannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

Will get worse once the bypass is done with the finchogue roundabout adding more traffic to that entry/exit road to town. No room to widen that corner, maybe a one way system planned??

The exit for Enniscorthy is a complete screw up anyway . You're almost approaching the town but have to turn back to Scarwalsh.
    It should have been to the north or even parallel to Scarwalsh to make it way more practical.

IsaBrown wrote: »
    Will get worse once the bypass is done with the finchogue roundabout adding more traffic to that entry/exit road to town. No room to widen that corner, maybe a one way system planned??

Yep, this is what baffles me. Unless you knock the graveyard, there's very little scope to fix that bend. I just can't see how a one way system would be developed... unless they're planning on sending people up around the Hill and down the backway, or maybe through Slaney View Pk :-)

To be honest... nothing would surprise me.

27282764230_d8cd270d7c.jpg

Just to make things even better - if you look closely, there's actually a bloke (I think from Hendricks) standing in the middle of the road having a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pdev94

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, however, I am a bit desperate.
    I am looking for a daily lift from Enniscorthy to Carlow Town to get to work.
    I just got a new job up there (starting on the 22nd of June) and just realised how difficult it is to get to and from both counties due to the lack of public transport links.
    My work day is 09.00 - 17.30, Monday to Friday.
    I would happily split the cost of fuel.
    I am a non-smoker, male and 22 years of age.
    If you think you could help me out or know of someone that could, please drop me a message.

Thanks a lot,
    Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Goddamn burglar alarms making living in this town a real pain. 8.30pm alarm ringing aimlessly on Castle Street for a good 15/20 minutes and now another one going off pointlessly.....I'm pretty sure that there is a law against having poorly maintained alarms but like all those other laws there's zero enforcement. :mad:

pdev94 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, however, I am a bit desperate.
    I am looking for a daily lift from Enniscorthy to Carlow Town to get to work.
    I just got a new job up there (starting on the 22nd of June) and just realised how difficult it is to get to and from both counties due to the lack of public transport links.
    My work day is 09.00 - 17.30, Monday to Friday.
    I would happily split the cost of fuel.
    I am a non-smoker, male and 22 years of age.
    If you think you could help me out or know of someone that could, please drop me a message.

Thanks a lot,
    Paul.

Try sticking this up on Facebook,you might have better luck.Try one of the Enniscorthy related pages.

Two more businesses gone. One a surprise (Doyle's Butchers) and the other ....the new Bridal shop on Church Street.....not really.

rmgp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Two more businesses gone. One a surprise and the other ....the new Bridal shop on Church Street.....not really.

rmgp.jpg

Doyle's is gone? Any reason why?

• Advertisement

No, just a notice on the door today saying they had closed down.

No, just a notice on the door today saying they had closed down.

Jesus, that's one store I would not have closed.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Jesus, that's one store I would not have closed.

An institution on that street gone,another victim of the 'Old Dunnes Phenomenon'.The anchor store on the former main retail area allowed to remain empty thus people don't have much reason to use Rafter St. and the other businesses suffer.
    On any given day,you would do well to see a dozen people at any one time on Rafter St.

An institution on that street gone,another victim of the 'Old Dunnes Phenomenon'.The anchor store on the former main retail area allowed to remain empty thus people don't have much reason to use Rafter St. and the other businesses suffer.
    On any given day,you would do well to see a dozen people at any one time on Rafter St.

Toffee and Thyme is by far the busiest place on the whole street.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Toffee and Thyme is by far the busiest place on the whole street.

Another shop reported to be closing on the street,I was told the Pet Shop is set to shut now.

In some positive news,it seems The Old House in Templeshannon has been bought.

Another shop reported to be closing on the street,I was told the Pet Shop is set to shut now.

In some positive news,it seems The Old House in Templeshannon has been bought.

I know the man that owns that pet shop. Hadn't actually heard he was closing down though.

Saw the itinerary for the Strawberry Fair,talk about depressing.It has turned into a glorified field day at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Two more businesses gone. One a surprise (Doyle's Butchers) and the other ....the new Bridal shop on Church Street.....not really.

rmgp.jpg

That's a shame. Martin Doyle's was always a good butchers.

I guess that Jimmy's untimely passing had an impact.

Doyle's owned that premises since 1971-72....and that's not today or yesterday! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

https://m.facebook.com/BaringMySoles/

For anyone on the road from Enniscorthy to Gorey today keep an eye out for Eamonn. I'm sure he'd appreciate a beep of encouragement!

• Advertisement

Peugeot are moving into O'Leary's.

Might need a wipe down.

Advertisement