Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Its scandalous the condition that O Leary's compound was left in by the previous tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anyone go to the Strawberry Fair? Anyone? Didn't think so.

Anytime I went through town over the weekend it was just like any other weekend-nobody around.A lot of people didn't even know it was on.

On a positive note,planning has been applied for to build a new filling station and retail area on the vacant site beside Shingaun.Probably to take advantage of the new interchange to be built just down the road as part of the bypass.Hopefully it will also break up the cartel that fixes prices amongst all the filling stations in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Work appears to be going on in the Doyle's butcher's premises but it may just be the removal of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    Anyone go to the Strawberry Fair? Anyone? Didn't think so.

Anytime I went through town over the weekend it was just like any other weekend-nobody around.A lot of people didn't even know it was on.

On a positive note,planning has been applied for to build a new filling station and retail area on the vacant site beside Shingaun.Probably to take advantage of the new interchange to be built just down the road as part of the bypass.Hopefully it will also break up the cartel that fixes prices amongst all the filling stations in the town.

Want sure it was on till I noticed the dates on a poster.

Are English's closing,I notice closing down stock in the window.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Are English's closing,I notice closing down stock in the window.

I heard on the grapevine that they may be gone within a month. The closing notice is confusing as are most of the signs in their window down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

zerks wrote: »

Where exactly is this Zerks? Is it the site on the RHS heading out of town, just over the Bloody Bridge?

I can foresee lots of objections to a filling station.....possibly justified?

blindsider wrote: »
    Where exactly is this Zerks? Is it the site on the RHS heading out of town, just over the Bloody Bridge?

I can foresee lots of objections to a filling station.....possibly justified?

On the left just beside Shingaun Estate,it's waste ground atm as it was originally lined up for housing before the recession.

In other news there are plans for the old Murphy Floods site but aren't being disclosed yet (Wexford Co.Co. news in The Echo)

Vinnies on Island Road is closed down now,another empty building to add to the growing list.

Babatique children's clothes shop on Weafer Street is finally gone, but in better news Crystal Script has reappeared at the top of Slaney Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Empty buildings galore. Strawberry "Festival" barely raised a whisper.

Enniscorthy is in crisis. Has been for a long time now. What are councillors, politicians doing about it?? Absolutely nothing. Zero.

A bypass to be built soon and will more than likely be the death knell - whatever footfall the place had before will almost definitely be gone.

It will be too late then to drag the town back above water.

• Advertisement

Just listening to the bin fiasco on Lavhline and I wonder how everybody in town is fixed? I had my own experience this week when I tried to buy a Greenstar rubbish bag in town - they were all gone! I was fortunate in that I bumped into somebody on the street who told there were still a couple available at the Arts & Crafts shop at the bottom of Slaney Street. The kind proprietor sold me her second last one - the other she was keeping for her own use!

What a shambles this is turning into and it makes the Irish Water thing pale into insignificance. I'm seriously considering leaving my rubbish outside Paul Kehoe's office the next collection day and James Browne's the one after that. Anybody else affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Just listening to the bin fiasco on Lavhline and I wonder how everybody in town is fixed? I had my own experience this week when I tried to buy a Greenstar rubbish bag in town - they were all gone! I was fortunate in that I bumped into somebody on the street who told there were still a couple available at the Arts & Crafts shop at the bottom of Slaney Street. The kind proprietor sold me her second last one - the other she was keeping for her own use!

What a shambles this is turning into and it makes the Irish Water thing pale into insignificance. I'm seriously considering leaving my rubbish outside Paul Kehoe's office the next collection day and James Browne's the one after that. Anybody else affected?

Ray Whelan isn't going ahead with the pay by weight now as far as I could gather.

I thought most had postponed for 12 months and they will supply you with lift details and show a comparison based off pay by weight and a yearly fee.

Seems Virgin Media are going to be digging up the place till September.
    What are they at anyway,fibre or something?

Seems Virgin Media are going to be digging up the place till September.
    What are they at anyway,fibre or something?

Fibre to the house. Will be similar to the Virgin service provided in Dublin.

They started last week out by the Rubgy Club and are finished on the Ross Road now.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Fibre to the house. Will be similar to the Virgin service provided in Dublin.

They started last week out by the Rubgy Club and are finished on the Ross Road now.

Trying to get in there before Eir do I'd say! Eir have it scheduled for Winter 2016 for fibre to go live in Enniscorthy. 1 Gigabit Speeds!

daraghwal wrote: »
    Trying to get in there before Eir do I'd say! Eir have it scheduled for Winter 2016 for fibre to go live in Enniscorthy. 1 Gigabit Speeds!

Eir and Vodafone already have fibre in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Work seems to have stopped on the bypass just after Monart House. Anyone know what's going on ?

paulaa wrote: »
    Work seems to have stopped on the bypass just after Monart House. Anyone know what's going on ?

Apart from clearing of ditches and trees I haven't seen much happening anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Apart from clearing of ditches and trees I haven't seen much happening anywhere.

It was a hive of activity for a while and then nothing. I wonder how far they have come from Scarawalsh.

paulaa wrote: »
    It was a hive of activity for a while and then nothing. I wonder how far they have come from Scarawalsh.

Ditches cleared and site fenced off from Scarawalsh to Monart.According to another poster,the earth moving equipment is arriving on site and a Spanish contractor is doing the earthworks.The road at the Gap Cross has been reinforced to allow heavy equipment on site there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Gorey is a town that is thriving after the bypass, but mainly I think because people wanted to move there as it was close to Dublin and had good infrastructure.

I would say that I can't see Enniscorthy going the same way, but when did it attract passing trade? On the southbound route, you can't even stop at teh shop because there is usually no parking. There are no petrol stations to pull into and on the northbound route, you've basically got nothing from Oilgate until Ferns.

The town is already bypassed, we just haven't been able to drive around it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/eight-food-businesses-closed-for-breaches-in-june-1.2711108

Holy Grail Restaurant closed last month due to a "grave and immediate danger to public health at or in the premises."

ezra_ wrote: »
    Gorey is a town that is thriving after the bypass, but mainly I think because people wanted to move there as it was close to Dublin and had good infrastructure.

I would say that I can't see Enniscorthy going the same way, but when did it attract passing trade? On the southbound route, you can't even stop at teh shop because there is usually no parking. There are no petrol stations to pull into and on the northbound route, you've basically got nothing from Oilgate until Ferns.

During the boom,a huge amount of Dubs bought property in Gorey as they made a killing on selling their homes in Dublin,there is a large population of retired Dubs in Gorey who have disposable income and keep the economy there going.Maybe with the new motorway,Enniscorthy will become the same as it will only be 10 minutes further down the road.One big problem is the building of new estates is in hiatus due to the fact the revamp of the main drainage scheme still hasn't started years after it was announced,it is at capacity so no new housing schemes are allowed.

ezra_ wrote: »

Given the convoluted exit planned for Enniscorthy it won't be overly inviting for a stop off.

Given the convoluted exit planned for Enniscorthy it won't be overly inviting for a stop off.

I think I'll invest in a pedal powered food cart to feed all the hungry motorists stuck in gridlock from Clonhaston to the Quays when they leave the motorway.Kerching!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/healt...june-1.2711108

Holy Grail Restaurant closed last month due to a "grave and immediate danger to public health at or in the premises."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I hear the Holy Grail closed recently, can anyone confirm?

Ian Whelan wrote: »

I think we gathered that from your first post.

• Advertisement

Ian Whelan wrote: »

I read the article and it didn't mention the Holy Grail specifically as being a grave danger,the report on the FSA website listed places that did pose a threat to health.I reckon the foodstall in Dublin was the one that posed a "grave and immediate threat" due to pathogens in the food.The closure order was in place on the 7th of June and lifted on the 9th.

Advertisement