Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd like to know who gives permission for that name? It's an Irish bridge ffs, not a New Ross town council bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

vicwatson wrote: »
    I'd like to know who gives permission for that name? It's an Irish bridge ffs, not a New Ross town council bridge.

Actually, I think it is a New Ross council bridge. They administer the work / development in their area?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looks they're planning on widening the old bridge.Dunno why if there is less traffic,unless it's two way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Navarre wrote: »
    just reading that link and it describes what has been done is it an old link.??

No,don't think so.The old bridge hasn't been widened nor any roundabouts constructed.

Can only assume it's for the upcoming works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

kneemos wrote: »
    No,don't think so.The old bridge hasn't been widened nor any roundabouts constructed.

Can only assume it's for the upcoming works.

Definitely reads like it.
    I mean seats like Navarre's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That bridge is being removed and a pedestrian bridge replacing it with a higer arch ala the Ha'penny Bridge.
    The new one is being built downstream below the Riverside Hotel and will join up the existing road at the junction of the 1798 Centre.

Definitely reads like it.
    I mean seats like Navarre's post.

Seem to be the crowd that did the new bridge right enough.
    What's the bit about the strengthening and widening of the old bridge?

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    Actually, I think it is a New Ross council bridge. They administer the work / development in their area?

Paid for by the Irish taxpayer, councillors shouldnt have the right to vote on these matters, the public should, even if its Wexford residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Paid for by the Irish taxpayer, councillors shouldnt have the right to vote on these matters, the public should, even if its Wexford residents.

It's standard practice to be fair. Not sure what process was followed here, but taking the Rosie Hackett Bridge in Dublin as an example (as the most recent one there), submissions were accepted from the public, but the final name was chosen by DCC. Samuel Beckett bridge was also named by them (and possibly without public submissions, I'm not 100% on that). By all means take issue with the exact process followed, or the name selected, but don't complain about the council naming it like it's not done everywhere else in Ireland......

cython wrote: »
    It's standard practice to be fair. Not sure what process was followed here, but taking the Rosie Hackett Bridge in Dublin as an example (as the most recent one there), submissions were accepted from the public, but the final name was chosen by DCC. Samuel Beckett bridge was also named by them (and possibly without public submissions, I'm not 100% on that). By all means take issue with the exact process followed, or the name selected, but don't complain about the council naming it like it's not done everywhere else in Ireland......

And its Ireland I'm talking about :rolleyes: The "Standard practice" is balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

And its Ireland I'm talking about :rolleyes: The "Standard practice" is balls.

So you'd rather the public come up with something like Bridgey McBridgeface? :roll eyes: (See, I can use unnecessarily condescending emojis too!)

Seriously, on the one hand you appear to gripe about taxpayer money funding the bridge, so would you rather spend more taxpayer money to organise a mechanism to name it, and ignore the fact that councillors are already supposed to be elected (and indeed funded by even more taxpayer money!) to represent the public? Should we also hold public polls to name every roundabout that springs up in towns or on ring roads since they too are paid for by taxpayers, and do tend to be named now? Or are they too small? Then at what point do you draw the line? Your posts on this smack of contrarianism, IMHO, and come across as an overreaction to a simple disagreement with the chosen name, and the reasonings given for it.

I'm confused,when have they decided to build the New Ross bridge in Enniscorthy??

The Rockin' Food Festival is getting into full swing,I was down that way before 11am and even at that stage it had put the Strawberry Fest to shame.
    Fair play to the organisers although I think the Farmers Market missed a trick by not moving up to Rafter Street for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

They made an unmerciful bags of the public showing of Brooklyn tonight - 30 minutes late, so bright with all the street lighting that you couldn't see the screen, the screen was put up back to front, the projection was also back to front i.e the titles etc. were backwards and of course traffic allowed through the square. I haven't seen the film yet so came home so as not to spoil a future viewing.

As for the food part of the festival - too much of the same i.e. burgers and sausages. Virtually zero stands selling anything but instantly edible stuff - no crafts, bric-a-brac etc. nothing really to hold anybody but there was some crowd out all the same.

New Barbers/Hairdressers in the ex clothes shop on Rafter St.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

New Barbers/Hairdressers in the ex clothes shop on Rafter St.

It's Turkcuts. Moving from further down the road to a bigger shop.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    They made an unmerciful bags of the public showing of Brooklyn tonight - 30 minutes late, so bright with all the street lighting that you couldn't see the screen, the screen was put up back to front, the projection was also back to front i.e the titles etc. were backwards and of course traffic allowed through the square. I haven't seen the film yet so came home so as not to spoil a future viewing.

As for the food part of the festival - too much of the same i.e. burgers and sausages. Virtually zero stands selling anything but instantly edible stuff - no crafts, bric-a-brac etc. nothing really to hold anybody but there was some crowd out all the same.

They solved the excessive lights for Star Wars,it was way better.The big screen was actually an inspired idea.
    It was great to actually see a crowd in the town for the weekend.The music was top class and the weather was decent.Everyone is of the opinion that the Strawberry Fair should be binned and keep this as the main town festival.

• Advertisement

Oul flag could do with wash.

Smaller ones are fair mouldy looking as well.

Oul flag could do with wash.

Smaller ones are fair mouldy looking as well.

The umbrellas in Slaney Street are getting battered in the last few days, and the flags could do with taking down - what's left of them - or will the council let the wind do the job for them. :rolleyes:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The umbrellas in Slaney Street are getting battered in the last few days, and the flags could do with taking down - what's left of them - or will the council let the wind do the job for them. :rolleyes:

They are being removed this morning.

The shop fronts from Toss Kavanaghs down have been given a lick of paint,a bit odd considering the plan being mooted is to demolish that corner and move the pub due to new road layouts to accomodate extra traffic when the exit off the bypass is open out the road at Finchogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Still scratching my head on the plan to force more traffic into town on that road, horrible as is at peak hours.

Gets me thinking... if Templeshannon is supposedly going to flourish as a result of all the bypass traffic feeding into town, how come the Island Road isn't like Las Vegas strip or 5th Avenue? Vinnies should be MGM Grand like at this stage with what cars pass/backup there on a daily basis.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Still scratching my head on the plan to force more traffic into town on that road, horrible as is at peak hours.

Gets me thinking... if Templeshannon is supposedly going to flourish as a result of all the bypass traffic feeding into town, how come the Island Road isn't like Las Vegas strip or 5th Avenue? Vinnies should be MGM Grand like at this stage with what cars pass/backup there on a daily basis.

There will be exits at Scarawalsh,Monart and Finchogue.I suppose the thinking is anyone heading for a certain part of town will use the appropriate exit.

Finally broke out of Enniscorthy today - as far as Gorey anyway! Place was heaving with traffic and shoppers. Permanent TSB is like a fortress to try and get into with all sorts of OTT security not to mention unfriendly staff. Shouldn't think they will be there much longer anyway as Open24 takes over from the remaining branches.

Popped into the excellent "Zozimus Books" at the Book Cafe on Main Street - thriving since my last visit to Gorey in 2011 - was tempted by a copy of the comical 1960s Irish Govt. 'what do if the bomb drops' booklet (€6) but kept my money for drink instead.

n1.PNG

Just in case Trump gets elected here's a useful tip from the booklet - any survivors won't even have to bury you. :D

n2.png

Anyway, somethings never change and it was good to see that Myles Doyle's grocers are still in business. Of course, no trip to Gorey is complete without a visit to French's Pub; a quick pint there and back to sunny Enniscorthy just ahead of the weather.

Image.jpg

jpb1974 wrote: »

Easier to get out of the place more like.Gorey becomes as accessible as Wexford.

I'd love to know their reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Is there a link to a clean and clear image of what the bypass will look like?

I've seen some that were early stage and quite confusing, I don't actually know what the route is at this stage.

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    Is there a link to a clean and clear image of what the bypass will look like?

I've seen some that were early stage and quite confusing, I don't actually know what the route is at this stage.

This has a clear route map. http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/52.4429/-6.5473

Advertisement