Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

There's no mention of refreshments so I think I'll pass. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Does anyone know of any peace commissioners in Enniscorthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wellyd wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any peace commissioners in Enniscorthy?

Think there's one in those new buildings on Lymington Rd.Pretty sure I've seen oath commissioner on the window of one of those buildings.

I've seen many shops close over the years, but never had the opportunity to observe a supermarket in its final death throes before. Consequently it is with a degree of morbid fascination that I pay a nightly visit to Soviet Valu - ostensibly to pick up a carton of milk.

There's something very British, very stoical about the run down - kinda of reminiscent of the last hours on the Titanic. Okay, so there's no band playing 'Nearer, My God, to Thee' but there's no sign of panic either. The crew staff carry on as normal chucking anything that might float over the side removing the fridges, units etc. There's no sign of any fire sale despite the fact that the closure date has been brought forward to the 22nd. Some of the crew think it may not stay afloat for that long - they are certainly running out of everything.

I suppose it's not surprising that the surviving crew are so resigned to their fate as the Marie Celeste has been heading for the iceberg rocks for years. Words don't do it justice - some pictures tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I've seen many shops close over the years, but never had the opportunity to observe a supermarket in its final death throes before. Consequently it is with a degree of morbid fascination that I pay a nightly visit to Soviet Valu - ostensibly to pick up a carton of milk.

There's something very British, very stoical about the run down - kinda of reminiscent of the last hours on the Titanic. Okay, so there's no band playing 'Nearer, My God, to Thee' but there's no sign of panic either. The crew staff carry on as normal chucking anything that might float over the side removing the fridges, units etc. There's no sign of any fire sale despite the fact that the closure date has been brought forward to the 22nd. Some of the crew think it may not stay afloat for that long - they are certainly running out of everything.

I suppose it's not surprising that the surviving crew are so resigned to their fate as the Marie Celeste has been heading for the iceberg rocks for years. Words don't do it justice - some pictures tomorrow.
    was in the cash and carry the other day, they took the opportunity to save a few of the special offer signs and put em to good use instead of heading for the tip, and apparently shelving that had nothing wrog with it and worth a few quid were dumped in a massive skip, keep an eye out for the skips ya be surprised what ya may get from the place that ya can sell on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

was in the cash and carry the other day, they took the opportunity to save a few of the special offer signs and put em to good use instead of heading for the tip, and apparently shelving that had nothing wrog with it and worth a few quid were dumped in a massive skip, keep an eye out for the skips ya be surprised what ya may get from the place that ya can sell on

Stand still 'til I brush that Vulture from your shoulder...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Quick question regarding traffic coming onto the 'New' Bridge in Enniscorthy from the Quay, the Backway and the Wexford Road.

Is precedence -

1. The Quay
    2. Wexford Road (Yields Right Of Way)
    2. The Backway (Stop sign dictates that you must wait for ALL traffic to clear)

or

1. The Quay
    2. The Backway (Yield Right of Way)
    3. Wexford Road (Yields Right Of Way)

*** Disclaimer ***
    * I've not stated which one I use
    * Yes its true, I have not read the rules of the road since passing my driving test 21 years ago

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Quick question regarding traffic coming onto the 'New' Bridge in Enniscorthy from the Quay, the Backway and the Wexford Road.

Is precedence -

1. The Quay
    2. Wexford Road (Yields Right Of Way)
    2. The Backway (Stop sign dictates that you must wait for ALL traffic to clear)

or

1. The Quay
    2. The Backway (Yield Right of Way)
    3. Wexford Road (Yields Right Of Way)

*** Disclaimer ***
    * I've not stated which one I use
    * Yes its true, I have not read the rules of the road since passing my driving test 21 years ago

Option 1.
    It has become a free for all lately in fairness,much honking of horns and shaking of fists.

Option 1 is what I've generally leaned towards for all the years the bridge has been there. Although when you're on the Backway, sometimes you just gotta squeeze out there, otherwise it'd be backed up to the grotto at Fr. Cullen's Terrace.

Someone tried to suggest to me recently that it was option 2, but I think they were most definitely overlooking the stop sign which throws a spanner in the basic 'yield right of way' rule.

Yep, you are right, its like the wild west down there most days. Cars coming from the Wexford Road side are a total nightmare... large portion of them just completely ignore any rules, drive straight into the left-most lane and then attempt to cut across into the middle lane whilst traffic from the Quay is still flowing onto the bridge.

• Advertisement

Am I behind the curve on this one, but I only heard today that the proposed redevelopment of Lidl has been thrown out by An Bord Pleanala and RGDATA.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/246524.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lidl will pull out

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lidl will pull out

Supervalue would be a great spot for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

They'll appeal and will win IMO. RGDATA would be far better served getting the large vacant premises on Rafter St sold/leased.

This sniping to prevent competition is small-minded, and certainly not good for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Option 1 is what I've generally leaned towards for all the years the bridge has been there. Although when you're on the Backway, sometimes you just gotta squeeze out there, otherwise it'd be backed up to the grotto at Fr. Cullen's Terrace.

Someone tried to suggest to me recently that it was option 2, but I think they were most definitely overlooking the stop sign which throws a spanner in the basic 'yield right of way' rule.

Yep, you are right, its like the wild west down there most days. Cars coming from the Wexford Road side are a total nightmare... large portion of them just completely ignore any rules, drive straight into the left-most lane and then attempt to cut across into the middle lane whilst traffic from the Quay is still flowing onto the bridge.

Drive down the Quay and as you get to the bridge have your hand ready to press the horn as invariably some numpty will drive out in front of you having ignored the Stop or Yield signs.That is the protocol for using that bridge.
    At least the damn thing will be coming out of there within the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Did anyone here make it to the public meeting with the Council and ARUP last Thursday regarding the redevelopment of Templeshannon?
    Couldn't go myself but it would be interesting to hear exactly what is planned for the area.

https://twitter.com/FACIreland/status/776789307260559365

https://twitter.com/FACIreland/status/776747036293095424

http://www.arup.com/global_locations/ireland

http://futureanalytics.ie/templeshannon/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Once I hear the words council and Arup together I hear the money pit being dug

Anyone know where the money is coming from? I'm assuming it has to be some sort of government financed urban renewal grant or the like? Private investors would have to be daft to throw any money into this town.

Anybody know what's happened to the bus service to Waterford? I used to use quite regularly a while back but it seems to have been withdrawn. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Anybody know what's happened to the bus service to Waterford? I used to use quite regularly a while back but it seems to have been withdrawn. Thanks in advance.

Was withdrawn a while ago. You need to get the bus to Wexford and then to Waterford. If you're going, make sure to ask for a bus ticket to Waterford because some bus drivers will sell you a ticket to Wexford and then you need to buy another ticket and it works out more expensive.

• Advertisement

Fantastic - first they get rid of the rail service and then the bus. CIE - Complete Incompetence Expected.

One of the objections to the new Lidl was that it would detract from the town centre.
    Ignoring that there's nothing in the town centre,if nobody can build anything of significance on the outskirts and there isn't anywhere to build in the centre,where exactly can they build?

Went mad this morning and got the bus to Wexford (30 mins late) and the stop at the Bus Stop Shop is a charming place to while away the time and survey all human life. Three locals (two adults and a teenager) enjoyed a repast on the riverbank before throwing their cans into the Slaney; at the grimy bus set-down point numerous cars were illegally parked while their occupants visited the Bus Stop Shop. The Celtic Tiger is definitely back judging from the amount of passing contractors vans and people buying Breakfast Rolls - including the 'pyjama family'. I had never encountered this phenomena before and it's quite appalling - pink dressing gowns, flip flops....ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrived in Wexford in good time - quick bit of business and back to the bus, but not before taking in the surroundings. Small trees and other plants growing out of the Redmond monument in an otherwise nicely maintained park - why? And then the pièce de résistance - the railway station - recently painted by a farmer (?) and a really poor job. The timber bargeboards left peeling and a finial about to fall onto the pavement. The station itself, devoid of timetables, access to the platform barricaded and toilets locked....I could go on but why bother.... Incidentally, you should make the journey while you can as in view of Bus Eireann's plans announced today......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Went mad this morning and got the bus to Wexford (30 mins late) and the stop at the Bus Stop Shop is a charming place to while away the time and survey all human life. Three locals (two adults and a teenager) enjoyed a repast on the riverbank before throwing their cans into the Slaney; at the grimy bus set-down point numerous cars were illegally parked while their occupants visited the Bus Stop Shop. The Celtic Tiger is definitely back judging from the amount of passing contractors vans and people buying Breakfast Rolls - including the 'pyjama family'. I had never encountered this phenomena before and it's quite appalling - pink dressing gowns, flip flops....ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrived in Wexford in good time - quick bit of business and back to the bus, but not before taking in the surroundings. Small trees and other plants growing out of the Redmond monument in an otherwise nicely maintained park - why? And then the pièce de résistance - the railway station - recently painted by a farmer (?) and a really poor job. The timber bargeboards left peeling and a finial about to fall onto the pavement. The station itself, devoid of timetables, access to the platform barricaded and toilets locked....I could go on but why bother.... Incidentally, you should make the journey while you can as in view of Bus Eireann's plans announced today......:(

So you had a good day out then :)

SV.jpg
    Caulfields SuperValu - 2:OOpm today but there won't be much in the way of bargains.

Petrol station in Drumgoold area is converting to Applegreen. Been out of touch with fuel prices lately, their Diesel was priced @ 115.9 this morning - no idea how this lines up with the rest of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Wexford town has the cheapest petrol that I can see.

Maxol on the Quays, followed by the rest.
    Once you go North of 'scorthy, prices track back towards Dublin.

I don't even know where you can buy petrol in 'Scorthy apart from that place by the bridge which is always expensive and packed (go figure)

The father reckons that the Applegreen prices in Ferns aren't as competitive as they used to be. Someone said it was up for sale, place seems like a gold-mine to me, always busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

The father reckons that the Applegreen prices in Ferns aren't as competitive as they used to be. Someone said it was up for sale, place seems like a gold-mine to me, always busy.

They aren't. Used to be very good (as was camolin), now they are closer to Dublin than to Wexford town prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Premises for sale applegreen only lease it but have a massive long lease which is unaffected by the sale

But yes price not as good as used to be

Advertisement