Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 yellowbelly

Just read your post about litter in Enniscorthy it seems to be a problem all over
    the town I walked on the foot path I think it is called called Lymington Road it is where the houses in parkton are i was absolutely disgusted with the amount of dog dirt on the footpath do people who walk their dogs on this road not clean up after them it is a health hazzard in that vicinity. The footpath in that area must never be swept please people in Enniscorthy pick up after your dogs. If i had
    a camera on me i would have taken a picture to show the council the amount of
    dog dirt on the footpath there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just read your post about litter in Enniscorthy it seems to be a problem all over
    the town I walked on the foot path I think it is called called Lymington Road it is where the houses in parkton are i was absolutely disgusted with the amount of dog dirt on the footpath do people who walk their dogs on this road not clean up after them it is a health hazzard in that vicinity. The footpath in that area must never be swept please people in Enniscorthy pick up after your dogs. If i had
    a camera on me i would have taken a picture to show the council the amount of
    dog dirt on the footpath there.

Yes, it is a particularly disgusting stretch of footpath and smashed to bits by heavy traffic mounting the kerb. I have to walk my kids back from school along it every day. Anybody who lives in town will be well aware of people who walk packs of dogs (greyhounds in particular) and nothing is done about them but perhaps they all wear nappies. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Yes, it is a particularly disgusting stretch of footpath and smashed to bits by heavy traffic mounting the kerb. I have to walk my kids back from school along it every day. Anybody who lives in town will be well aware of people who walk packs of dogs (greyhounds in particular) and nothing is done about them but perhaps they all wear nappies. :rolleyes:

Enniscorthy is the dogshite capital of the country,its everywhere.A few fines being handed out wouldn't go astray.In other countries the general public challenge dog owners over not cleaning up after their pets and it's generally accepted to clear up the mess but not here.
    If you're up early enough for a walk between 7 and 8am it's amazing how many people bring dogs out for a clean out on the towns footpaths.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

This was brilliant planning by someone

Of all the hours in the day. They decide to do line marking on the roads around 9am this morning on Lymington rd outside st Aidans primary school. Someone should get a medal or a pay rise for planning this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Of all the hours in the day. They decide to do line marking on the roads around 9am this morning on Lymington rd outside st Aidans primary school. Someone should get a medal or a pay rise for planning this job.

They did the one at the bottom of Weafer Street last Friday at the same time. I did think to myself at the time "how Irish". I was almost run down by a lady who was too busy watching workmen to notice me crossing. Remarkable how short a length of time the original paint lasted too.

Just as a side note, and this has been mentioned before - I'd really love to meet the people that planned the location of most of the zebra crossings in Enniscorthy. Only in Enniscorthy would you get zebra crossings a few feet from junctions (Weafer Street, Post Office) and roundabouts (Abbey Square).

Then you have the dumb phucks that are too lazy to walk the extra 10 feet to use them... instead opting to walk straight out in front of you (as I have experienced at Treacy's hotel on numerous occasions).

Minor rant over :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

jpb1974 wrote: »
    They did the one at the bottom of Weafer Street last Friday at the same time. I did think to myself at the time "how Irish". I was almost run down by a lady who was too busy watching workmen to notice me crossing. Remarkable how short a length of time the original paint lasted too.

Just as a side note, and this has been mentioned before - I'd really love to meet the people that planned the location of most of the zebra crossings in Enniscorthy. Only in Enniscorthy would you get zebra crossings a few feet from junctions (Weafer Street, Post Office) and roundabouts (Abbey Square).

Then you have the dumb phucks that are too lazy to walk the extra 10 feet to use them... instead opting to walk straight out in front of you (as I have experienced at Treacy's hotel on numerous occasions).

Minor rant over :D

The one in the square crossing over to shenanigans side is the most ridiculous. It goes at some weird angle that makes most of the pedestrian traffic have to go out of their way to use it. I also noticed the road down to Dunnes stores from the square has been made one way. Could all this funding being put into road markings not be diverted into repairs? I know I'd rather have some old markings than a wrecked car.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The new yellow box at the top of wafer street is a complete waste of paint. As bad as that junction was it is now worse with the yellow box. So much for not entering the box until you have space at the otherside to exit it.

Some works going on in Rafter Street,and at long last the street beside Murphy Floods is one way-had an eejit of a woman nearly tear the side out of my car there last week.No matter how many times I gestured her to stop she kept coming towards me.
    RE the pedestrian crossings,it wouldn't matter how many are placed in the town you still get people to lazy to use them.Pettits is unreal between people pulling out without looking or pedestrians dodging traffic.

Picture here of Rafter Street. The pedestrianisation scheme is reputed to be costing in the region of €500,000! I can't see the point of it myself and it the Slaney Street mess is a benchmark for such work, God help us. It won't be completed a wet weekend before it's covered in dog poo, gum, glass and vomit - all good traditional Enniscorthy fare. I'm sure businesses would have preferred a rate reduction or grants towards improving their frontages rather than this nonsense.

rafter-street-002.jpg?w=500&h=375

On Friday which is usually one of the busiest days in Enniscorthy you could count on one hand the amount of people on Rafter Street,I'd say the shop owners are delighted:rolleyes: Rumours still doing the rounds of Iceland taking Dunnes Stores old site on the street.At least it will draw some customers to the area.
    On the note of road markings,do drivers not know how to read or understand signs-NO ENTRY means exactly what it says yet the amount of people driving the wrong way up the new one way steets is amazing.Just goes to show how much attention they pay while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

zerks wrote: »
    On Friday which is usually one of the busiest days in Enniscorthy you could count on one hand the amount of people on Rafter Street,I'd say the shop owners are delighted:rolleyes: Rumours still doing the rounds of Iceland taking Dunnes Stores old site on the street.At least it will draw some customers to the area.
    On the note of road markings,do drivers not know how to read or understand signs-NO ENTRY means exactly what it says yet the amount of people driving the wrong way up the new one way steets is amazing.Just goes to show how much attention they pay while driving.

Why do people think Iceland will move into the old Dunnes ? Dunnes will never rent there premises to a rival business.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Why do people think Iceland will move into the old Dunnes ? Dunnes will never rent there premises to a rival business.

Far as I know Dunnes don't own the building and never have,I must find out for definite but pretty sure they only rented it for the time they were there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Seeing as this is an Enniscorthy thread, can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Dublin city to Enniscorthy??
    I'm making the journey down for the Kildare V Wexford game on Wednesday evening.

how long it takes to drive from Dublin city to Enniscorthy?

I'd say allow for 2 hours.

Getting out of the city is the tough part and depending on the time of day you plan to leave it could add anywhere from 20-45 mins onto the journey time.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

I can drive from the North side of Dublin (Drumcondra area) to Wexford town in under two hours, and thats going through the city. Wexford is another 20 minutes past Enniscorthy.

The AA route planner has Dublin to Enniscorthy timed at 1 hour 39 minutes. But what it doesn't factor in is traffic jams caused by car crashed, road works etc.

I still maintain that you should allow 2 hours... even if you make it to Enniscorthy in 1 hour 39 mins you'll still have to find your way up to Belfield, park the car, take a whizz etc.

Judging from this piece in the Guardian today, Dunnes Stores own the building on Rafter Street so no chance of an Iceland store I should think. Great to see all the work on pedestrianising the street, meantime the council still can't be bothered to clean the 1798 memorial or buy a pot of paint for the seats opposite their offices. :rolleyes:

Dunnes%2B003.JPG

Meanwhile the Castle is to reopen before Easter (the year isn't specified) but don't hold your breath. The question of whether the windows are timber or PVC seems to have been resolved according to David Medcalf in the today's Guardian - they are timber. The white paint is another matter!
    The GAA heads are annoyed that their pet is not getting its own special room but why should it as it's not the only sport in the county. The designer Eileen Gray (1878-1976) is and for my money her story is likely to be of more interest to visitors. Anyway, the jury is still out on how the refurbishment will turn out but the cynic in me fears the worst.

Dunnes%2B005.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Judgement Day, I'm not sure if you're aware, but the wordpress hosting you're using for your last few image uploads seems to have permissions blocked for at least some people - they won't load for me, and I'm getting a 403 error when I try to view it directly. It's possible that if you haven't included them in a post they're hidden or something? You probably have no issues viewing them yourself as you'd be logged in from uploading, and permissions would allow you access.

Nice to see despite hundreds of thousands having been spent on Enniscorthy Court House,it still remains idle.How does this town manage to waste so much money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

zerks wrote: »
    Far as I know Dunnes don't own the building and never have,I must find out for definite but pretty sure they only rented it for the time they were there.

I believe that Dunne's have a 99 year lease on the premises, which is a as good as owning it. Can't see them letting in anyone who would rival them which means the major retailer that Rafter St. needs is unlikely to happen. A more likely solution is that the premises is developed into smaller units or some sort of market which it would be ideal for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

I watched with interest a tv slot on the Royal Hibernian Academy pop up shops in Dublin. I popped in for a look yesterday and it's fantastic. There's a really good vibe about the place and it gives start up businesses a chance to flourish. From talking to people working there, a lot have seized the opportunity to do something they love since being made redundant.

Why could something like this not go into Dunnes? I'm sure there is an enterprise board in Wexford who could offer advice to people wanting to start up a pop up shop.

http://www.royalhibernianacademy.ie/html/gallery/gallery_popup.html

underground-1970.jpg

Earlier in this thread the WW II film "Underground" (1970) which was filmed in the town in 1969 got a mention and now you have a rare opportunity to see it.
    There will be a special screening of the movie on St.Patrick's Day (after the parade) at the Bellefield GAA Complex at 5.30pm. €5 including popcorn!

Proceeds in aid of the Athenaeum Restoration Fund http://enniscorthyathenaeum.com/

Some good news from today's Enniscorthy Guardian.

Athenaeum%2B003.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I hope this will be the start of something good in the town. A little restoration and we could change the look and feel of the entire place.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Excellent. As an aside, does anyone know if Tony McClean from the committee is a teacher? I used to have a teacher by that name...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Excellent. As an aside, does anyone know if Tony McClean from the committee is a teacher? I used to have a teacher by that name...

Doubt it's the same guy, this Tony McClean is an accountant, with an office in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

cython wrote: »
    Doubt it's the same guy, this Tony McClean is an accountant, with an office in the town.

Thanks for that. There might be some hope of success then.

Some renovation work going on in the old Toymaster store,any ideas what's going there?

• Advertisement

Another Kavanagh's "Total Rubbish" outlet? :D

Advertisement