Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

kneemos wrote: »
    The rear of the Church of Ireland resembles a prison unfortunately after having all of its stained glass windows covered in a mesh,presumably they've had breakages.

They have had a small amount of vandalism down the years as certain youths seem to treat church property as a place for drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Del.Monte wrote: »
    They have had a small amount of vandalism down the years as certain youths seem to treat church property as a place for drinking.
    That's been going on for years, it was a favourite haunt of my brother for drinking,riding and glue sniffing,to name but a few of the activities, that was back in the 80's. It wouldn't have happened if aul Collier was still around, a bad inclined fcuker too, he got joy in sticking a knife into kids footballs rather than just throwing them back over the wall:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Will this involve the destruction of (more) 18th/19th century buildings?

The floods have done enough,that end of town needs regeneration and the plans are meant to be pretty impressive.The buildings being knocked are falling apart anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jca wrote: »
    That's been going on for years, it was a favourite haunt of my brother for drinking,riding and glue sniffing,to name but a few of the activities, that was back in the 80's. It wouldn't have happened if aul Collier was still around, a bad inclined fcuker too, he got joy in sticking a knife into kids footballs rather than just throwing them back over the wall:mad:

The renovated church institute has been a massive hit,seems to be constantly occupied .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Anyone know what time Euro Giant opens on a Sunday... Emergency.... Well not really... Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

He was a good caretaker considering the lack of respect some local scumbags showed to the church. Did your brother ever try the grounds of St Aiden's ? Plenty more room there .

paulaa wrote: »
    He was a good caretaker considering the lack of respect some local scumbags showed to the church. Did your brother ever try the grounds of St Aiden's ? Plenty more room there .

He was a bollox to be puncturing kids footballs, we were no older than 10 at the time. I'm sure the brother tried St Aidans too, be hard to ask him unless you believe the film Ghost, which I don't btw.

He was a bollox to be puncturing kids footballs, we were no older than 10 at the time. I'm sure the brother tried St Aidans too, be hard to ask him unless you believe the film Ghost, which I don't btw.

The man had lost his only son and he and his wife never recovered from it. I lived around there and I saw the damage the kids caused. The church couldn't even be left open for visitors in the summer because they were in wrecking the place.

I'm sorry about your brother

The man had lost his only son and he and his wife never recovered from it. I lived around there and I saw the damage the kids caused. The church couldn't even be left open for visitors in the summer because they were in wrecking the place.

I'm sorry about your brother

I lived there too, I still think anyone putting a knife in kids footballs is a horrible person no matter what their problems are. At that age we certainly weren't wrecking the place, but, as you say life looks very different through the eyes of a child. He had nice birds in his dooorway though. What happened his son?

Speaking of religious places,I see TWEP (Thomas Warren? ) has a notice in the local press about redeveloping the convent in The Shannon into offices an 30 car park spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

zerks wrote: »
    Speaking of religious places,I see TWEP (Thomas Warren? ) has a notice in the local press about redeveloping the convent in The Shannon into offices an 30 car park spaces.

Surely a better use of the building....

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Surely a better use of the building....

A few people picked up properties on that side of the town for a song in the last while,now there is a massive regeneration plan on the way and said properties will be worth a fortune.

A few people picked up properties on that side of the town for a song in the last while,now there is a massive regeneration plan on the way and said properties will be worth a fortune.

As ever who you know is more important than what you know.

As ever who you know is more important than what you know.

A proud tradition upheld in Enniscorthy.

I lived there too, I still think anyone putting a knife in kids footballs is a horrible person no matter what their problems are. At that age we certainly weren't wrecking the place, but, as you say life looks very different through the eyes of a child. He had nice birds in his dooorway though. What happened his son?

I think he was killed while in the RAF. He was friends with Frank Keenan

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I think he was killed while in the RAF. He was friends with Frank Keenan

Sorry who is Frank Keenan ??

Navarre wrote: »
    Sorry who is Frank Keenan ??

He runs the Enniscorthy History and photos Facebook group. I sure some of the members here are on that group too

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

He runs the Enniscorthy History and photos Facebook group. I sure some of the members here are on that group too

ok sound never heard of the man.

A ninety property development site for auction on the Milehouse Road,more sites been sold on the Oulart Road. Have we a dire housing shortage or will these be marketed as an hour from Dublin with easy motorway access ?

A ninety property development site for auction on the Milehouse Road,more sites been sold on the Oulart Road. Have we a dire housing shortage or will these be marketed as an hour from Dublin with easy motorway access ?

There's a chronic shortage of rental properties,when the motorway is done the problem with a housing shortage will get worse as those who can't afford to live nearer to Dublin follow said motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

enniscorthy will be the new gorey, full of dubs and hard to find a wexford accent

enniscorthy will be the new gorey, full of dubs and hard to find a wexford accent

Unlike at present where it's full of Romanians and hard to find a Wexford accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Unlike at present where it's full of Romanians and hard to find a Wexford accent.

I'd rather the former personally. The Romainians have almost taken the town over

Howya Hun.:P

I read in one of the local papers that we have 400 odd living in the town.

Howya Hun.:P

I read in one of the local papers that we have 400 odd living in the town.

Nah, that's just in Lower Church Street. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

i actually laughed out loud at this response, so true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Walking down The Prom one day with my son and the dogs and a Romanian teen jumps up in my son's face shouting all sorts of stupid crap at him ("you f'n virgin" and other similar crap), with me literally standing a few yards from him. I said nothing, thinking maybe my son knew him from school, turns out he didn't have a clue who he was.

Walking down there again a couple of weeks later and spot the same Romanian teen. Luckily for him, he kept his mouth shut this time, otherwise he'd be getting free swimming lessons... and not in hotel for that matter.

I hate to admit it, but I'm not a fan... just more economic migrants who aren't here with any intention to contribute much. Then you have the beggars and thieves, probably a minority, who just pull them all down with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Walking down The Prom one day with my son and the dogs and a Romanian teen jumps up in my son's face shouting all sorts of stupid crap at him ("you f'n virgin" and other similar crap), with me literally standing a few yards from him. I said nothing, thinking maybe my son knew him from school, turns out he didn't have a clue who he was.

Walking down there again a couple of weeks later and spot the same Romanian teen. Luckily for him, he kept his mouth shut this time, otherwise he'd be getting free swimming lessons... and not in hotel for that matter.

I hate to admit it, but I'm not a fan... just more economic migrants who aren't here with any intention to contribute much. Then you have the beggars and thieves, probably a minority, who just pull them all down with them.
    Nobody is a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Anyone know what the story is with the foot bridge down the Prom being closed?

• Advertisement

Sheehans looks almost ready to go...or stand idle. Whichever comes first.

Advertisement