Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

kneemos wrote: »
    Sheehans looks almost ready to go...or stand idle. Whichever comes first.

Them poor craters have been working morning till night

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Edups wrote: »
    Them poor craters have been working morning till night

Must be someone moving in so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Nobody is a fan.

Eh. Pavee Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sheehans looks almost ready to go...or stand idle. Whichever comes first.

As what? There's some serious money been spent on it.

Looks like Chinese owners with money to burn.
    Definitely been going all out to finish the ground floor at least,which suggests someone eager to get in before Christmas. https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=11&ved=0ahUKEwis8aPYurPQAhUnKsAKHV7pCTw4ChAWCBkwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wexfordecho.ie%2F2016%2F05%2F31%2Fno-plans-for-sheehans-building%2F&usg=AFQjCNHfgeaEaiHhl-QJccoVlUGZFRbM9w

• Advertisement

Word on the street is that there will be no Christmas tree in the Market Square this year as the council haven't enough money. I wonder where the extortionate rates go?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Word on the street is that there will be no Christmas tree in the Market Square this year as the council haven't enough money. I wonder where the extortionate rates go?

I know one shop owner who pays a fortune in rates and contributes to the Christmas lights and there is never so much as a piece of tinsel,let alone lights on the street by his store.
    They have money to print promotional posters,flyers and banners to try and get shoppers into the town,the problem is none of my gifts will be bought in the town,either the stores that may have had stuff are closed down or what I want isn't available.A trip to Wexford and a couple of clicks on a keyboard got me sorted.99% of locals will do the same and there's not a hope too many from outside will come here to shop.Even Dunnes is like a morgue at times.

The council's outrageous rates, combined with the greed of some of the town's 'merchant princes' have torn the heart out of the place. Who in their right mind would open a business in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Must be someone moving in so.

Shelves being packed all day today. Looks like another pound shop

Wellyd wrote: »
    Shelves being packed all day today. Looks like another pound shop

I think your man is just moving. I don't know why, we don't need ****ing pound shops.
    zerks wrote: »
    I know one shop owner who pays a fortune in rates and contributes to the Christmas lights and there is never so much as a piece of tinsel,let alone lights on the street by his store.
    They have money to print promotional posters,flyers and banners to try and get shoppers into the town,the problem is none of my gifts will be bought in the town,either the stores that may have had stuff are closed down or what I want isn't available.A trip to Wexford and a couple of clicks on a keyboard got me sorted.99% of locals will do the same and there's not a hope too many from outside will come here to shop.Even Dunnes is like a morgue at times.

Same as myself. I've started buying presents a few weeks back - things even in Mccauleys that I've gone into Wexford to get. Dunnes is gone to hell and there nary another shop in the town that sells anything worth buying. It's all pound shops takeaways and supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

It's a chicken and egg conundrum in Enniscorthy.... which comes first, the shops or the shoppers?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    It's a chicken and egg conundrum in Enniscorthy.... which comes first, the shops or the shoppers?

The shops. When it's all the same rubbish why would anyone come here to shop? Wexford is 20 minutes away and it's the difference between pound shops and supermarkets or streets of stores of all sorts. Even outside the town by 5 minutes you have industrial estates full of businesses. For crying out loud Drinagh retail park has more variety in its stores than enniscorthy.

I just don't see it working... one shop isn't going to make a huge difference as the demand isn't there, a flood of new (and good) shops isn't going to happen... I personally wouldn't investment my money in Enniscorthy.

I genuinely think that Enniscorthy's problems are far deeper routed than just a lack of shops. The town is largely dirty, dingy and unpleasant, the layout of the town is impractical, the traffic is horrible, un-employment is a serious issue, the management of the town is horrible.

Was in the Indian restaurant last night, pretty good it was, and the place was absolutely empty. I asked myself "Why?".

You can't even walk down our "Parisian Boulevard" now without fear of getting run over.

The place is such a sh1thole on so many levels... where do you even start trying to fix it?

Nuke it from orbit

Council's idea of landscaping - honestly, they showed up and planted these out of the blue a few years ago.

15038647220_dca5fe6e2e.jpg

I've posted this time and time again... a picture speaks a thousand words. To think... "projects" like this is where your property tax is going.

To me this sums up Enniscorthy. The state of the place just makes me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The thoughts of Wexford county council wasting money elsewhere and doing **** all makes me cringe, the amount of money wasted by them is sickening, and another 5% increase in property tax in January for them to waste. Grrrrrrrrrrr

If €10 million Euro was allocated to Enniscorthy to renew the place, you know they'd manage to phuc it up. Few new shiny things that'd be run down within a few years e.g. the foot bridge on the Prom... has been totally neglected since it's construction... minging, has grass growing out of it. Enough lifer un-employed people in the town... should be sent out for a few hours a week to maintain things like this to earn their social welfare IMO.

What's the betting they phuc up the flood protection? They already managed to phuc up a few zebra crossings.

I've given up on the place at this stage. I just take it for what it is.. home, and hope that I can make the few brief trips through the place with as little hassle as possible.

The councillors across all parties and none are an embarrassment. Why the puck aren't they challenged though and voted in. It's a joke

vicwatson wrote: »
    The councillors across all parties and none are an embarrassment. Why the puck aren't they challenged though and voted in. It's a joke

Don't forget our TDs!

But WEX people still keep voting the same ****e in time after time

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter... TDs are just overpaid arseholes caught up in a system of bureaucracy. People voted for Mick Wallace in an attempt to bring about change, what effect has that had? Is Mick throwing in a few curveball challenges in the Dail really a win for the people of Wexford? Which candidates that ran last time out would have made any significant difference if they had of been voted in?

People who seek hope in politics are destined to never be happy. We don't have a political system that dramatically changes anything for the better... at least not for the middle income, average joe.

Can anyone tell me the last time politics has served the people of Wexford (let alone Enniscorthy) a major win?

Wexford has never been served well or well served by the people elected to represent the people of Wexford. Sad that.

Tesco were prevented from building a store and Lidl from updating theirs,both on the grounds pf protecting the fantastic town centre/dirty looking hole.
    Any new development or attempt at progress has to be within a quarter mile of the monument apparently.

Council's idea of landscaping - honestly, they showed up and planted these out of the blue a few years ago.

I've posted this time and time again... a picture speaks a thousand words. To think... "projects" like this is where your property tax is going.

It's now overgrown and full of weeds and briars.One brainiac over the Tidy Towns had the roundabout at Aldi planted with wild flowers and about a month ago they were destroyed with a strimmers.

Politics just pi$$es me off. The hope and belief that some people invest in it is just ridiculous. For the most part, our government is responsible for the day to day running of the country. To believe that they competently plan past a year is foolish in my opinion. A true vision or 10, 15, 20 year plan... it doesn't exist. Borrow, spend, honour... repeat. What do people find in all of this that's worth it all? Don't even turn on the news or read newspapers anymore, ignorance is truly bliss.

"It's time to give back to the people... we'll drop PSRI by 0.5%"... then your local property tax jumps 5%... ffs, gimme a break.

I don't vote... there I've said it. Anyone who tells me I should, or it should be made mandatory can go phuc off with themselves. I look at what's gone on in my lifetime and ask myself... what difference does it make who gets in and who does not. It's just a merry-go-round of the same old sh1te, and I frankly couldn't care less. Why would I bother wasting my time.. Paul Kehoe, Mick Wallace, Brendan Howlin etc, etc... I couldn't give a sh1t.

The smoking ban... that's been the highlight for me politically in my lifetime. I can go for a drink once a year and not come home smelling like an ashtray.

If €10 million Euro was allocated to Enniscorthy to renew the place, you know they'd manage to phuc it up. Few new shiny things that'd be run down within a few years e.g. the foot bridge on the Prom... has been totally neglected since it's construction... minging, has grass growing out of it. Enough lifer un-employed people in the town... should be sent out for a few hours a week to maintain things like this to earn their social welfare IMO.

The gas thing is the lads on the CE Schemes are very restricted in what they can do in cleaning and maintaining such things as some of it is deemed "council work" yet the same 'workers':rolleyes: who are meant to do it never actually do.

Every county should be run like a proper business. A detailed plan laid out every year - projects and budgets allocated. Money in and money out forecasted in advance. End of year statements, accounts should be reviewed and compared to forecasts. Someone should be in charge. Failure to deliver and they should be fired. It needs to be more cut-throat and results need to be measured. Quality of deliverables and value for money are two other things that need serious assessment.

I can guarantee you, if each county was run like this and real pressure was put on people to deliver, you wouldn't have 6-8 council boys hiding on the lane where I live for a few days every now and again doing nothing. Pressure put on at the top should feed down to the lowest level.

The council mentality is killing counties. Here we are in November and the usual spate of re-surfacing jobs has already started cos they're using up the money that they hadn't a clue how to spend properly at the start of the year.

There seems to be no accountability for anything that goes on. Sleepy phucers just riding the system for all its worth. I work for a large American Corporation... and shareholder demands fizzle from the top right through to the bottom. It's not pleasant sometimes, but it demands constant results and there's a constant push for improvement... albeit from a profitability perspective. Like I said, it can be horrible, but it gets results.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My parents live up to the left.

Where I live the Council had Monageer Engineering(?) out to repair a leak in a pipe. They actually made it worse and had to come out twice more which will undoubtedly be billed as well, they also managed to leave us without water for the best part of a day once they finished their so called "repairs"

Enniscorthy is a lost cause at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Great positivity in this thread, some of it I sense from people who don't actually live in Enniscorthy/ Ireland anymore.

Advertisement