Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

jca wrote: »
    Great positivity in this thread, some of it I sense from people who don't actually live in Enniscorthy/ Ireland anymore.

I live in Enniscorthy. Don't know about anyone else.

But all we want is something done to invigorate the town. It's dying off. The streets are empty by 9pm the shops are empty most of the time.. nothing for anyone to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Great positivity in this thread, some of it I sense from people who don't actually live in Enniscorthy/ Ireland anymore.

No use complaining about the good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lived here all my life and see it going down the drain,it used to be a thriving town but greed and a myopic view by a few who own a lot in it have virtually killed the place.
    Enniscorthy is smack bang in the middle of the county but failed to take advantage of that fact.Anyone trying to open a business these days is immediately faced by a queue with their hands out wanting money before said business can even get up and running.Rather than promote new blood they strangle the life out of it.

Some positivity: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101219703&postcount=3546

I have to say the kebabs from the new place on Slaney St. are unreal.

zerks wrote: »
    Some positivity: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101219703&postcount=3546

Pizza is amazing as well. Marius is very good but I don't think it's as nice. the younger chap there is fairly touch and go with pizzas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

zerks wrote: »

I've been wondering and will give it try on the strength of this. :D

The new shop in Dessie Sheehan's is another pound shop and I imagine that the old shop beside John Kavanagh's Chinese Emporium will be closing up. I can't see how Dealz, Euro Giant and this new one are going to find enough custom.

Forgot to mention that going to and from the train today there's almost continuous broken glass on the pavement from the old bridge to the station - just wonderful!

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I've been wondering and will give it try on the strength of this. :D

The new shop in Dessie Sheehan's is another pound shop and I imagine that the old shop beside John Kavanagh's Chinese Emporium will be closing up. I can't see how Dealz, Euro Giant and this new one are going to find enough custom.

Forgot to mention that going to and from the train today there's almost continuous broken glass on the pavement from the old bridge to the station - just wonderful!

Another one. Lovely that's exactly what was needed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

I'm not from Enniscorty but pass through it regularly and it certainly seems quieter lately. What kind of retail and shops does the town need ? Electrical? Clothes etc and what are the obstacles to opening say a woman's fashion store. Is it lack of footfall or just costs too high like rates and rent .

I'm not from Enniscorty but pass through it regularly and it certainly seems quieter lately. What kind of retail and shops does the town need ? Electrical? Clothes etc and what are the obstacles to opening say a woman's fashion store. Is it lack of footfall or just costs too high like rates and rent .

The only shops that survived the recession - apart from the many charity ones - are mainly owner occupiers. Many of the empty shops are owned by a couple of individuals and the rents they have been looking for in good times and bad are eye watering! Add in the non-negotiable council rates, water rates, insurance, heating and lighting and you have to be daft to even consider opening a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

It's needs allot most residents travel down south to Wexford or up north to Gorey especially in run up to Christmas and high rates/rents seem to be the main reason.

• Advertisement

I can't list exactly what it needs but I can tell you what it needs LESS of.

Takeaways
    Pound shops (a small town like it doesn't need 2 major brands plus another big one opening)
    Pubs

There's just shy of 20 pubs and 20 takeaways. In a town this small it's ludicrous.

Del.Monte wrote:
    The only shops that survived the recession - apart from the many charity ones - are mainly owner occupiers. Many of the empty shops are owned by a couple of individuals and the rents they have been looking for in good times and bad are eye watering! Add in the non-negotiable council rates, water rates, insurance, heating and lighting and you have to be daft to even consider opening a business.

So these guys would rather have no income from an empty unit than a fair rent coming and there unit being occupied . You have to wonder at councils in Ireland setting crazy high rates for business especially start ups. No wonder so many towns in Ireland are ghost towns with no shops or amenities . How will it ever change

So these guys would rather have no income from an empty unit than a fair rent coming and there unit being occupied . You have to wonder at councils in Ireland setting crazy high rates for business especially start ups. No wonder so many towns in Ireland are ghost towns with no shops or amenities . How will it ever change

Electing Cllrs that aren't greedy.

I can't see why the council don't offer reduced rates to new businesses not already catered for in the town. No other rational retailer should have any objection as it would increase footfall. A general reduction in rates would also be a good idea plus penalties for those few individuals who are keeping premises closed up. One individual has at least four shops standing empty for years.

15603076_1.jpg

It says everything that you need to know about Enniscorthy when the landmark building on the Market Square (pictured above) is now an SVP charity shop.

Del.Monte wrote:
    I can't see why the council don't offer reduced rates to new businesses not already catered for in the town. No other rational retailer should have any objection as it would increase footfall. A general reduction in rates would also be a good idea plus penalties for those few individuals who are keeping premises closed up. One individual has at least four shops standing empty for years.

Del.Monte wrote:
    It says everything that you need to know about Enniscorthy when the landmark building on the Market Square (pictured above) is now an SVP charity shop.

Agree there should be a penalty on those who deliberately keep premises empty . It's clearly all about money rather than pride in their town or ambition for it .
    That's a fine building on the square and what a waste it is as a charity shop. What was it last used as ?

Agree there should be a penalty on those who deliberately keep premises empty . It's clearly all about money rather than pride in their town or ambition for it .
    That's a fine building on the square and what a waste it is as a charity shop. What was it last used as ?

Permanent TSB and a bank before that.

Del.Monte wrote:
    Permanent TSB and a bank before that.

Would be an ideal premises for a financial company or a government department but from the opinions here about local TDs and county council there would unlikely be any hope of that happening . Shame to see a town with potential being literally abandoned just like many other towns in this country .

Would be an ideal premises for a financial company or a government department but from the opinions here about local TDs and county council there would unlikely be any hope of that happening . Shame to see a town with potential being literally abandoned just like many other towns in this country .

Would be better still as a restaurant/craft centre/museum basically anything other than a bank or charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

So much wasted potential! That's what pains me about Enniscorthy.

It's a historic town and is (or was anyway) an attractive, interesting-looking place, but they've made an utter balls of developing it over the years.
    They destroyed the Abbey Square, made a mess of the Prom, and Vinegar Hill and the surrounding area is a disaster zone.

Piss-poor 'leadership', devoid of vision or taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Quick question.

There is a forestry south of Enniscorthy, would i guess be in the St Johns area heading into Kilcarbery, pretty much the opposite side of the railway and slaney opposite St Senans Hospital

I vaguely remember years ago skipping a few classes in school and heading up the rail line ending up in the forest that way with the usual pathways etc in the forest.

Does anyone actually know what the name of that forestry is and is there a way into it off the st johns/kilcarbery road or anyway at all into it apart from skipping across the rail line somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

the kelt wrote: »
    Quick question.

There is a forestry south of Enniscorthy, would i guess be in the St Johns area heading into Kilcarbery, pretty much the opposite side of the railway and slaney opposite St Senans Hospital

I vaguely remember years ago skipping a few classes in school and heading up the rail line ending up in the forest that way with the usual pathways etc in the forest.

Does anyone actually know what the name of that forestry is and is there a way into it off the st johns/kilcarbery road or anyway at all into it apart from skipping across the rail line somewhere?

I know the place you are on about, just not sure what it is called. There is an entrance to same in Kilcarbery, small lane that runs past a house on the side of the road. From what I can remember its on the left hand side on hill as your heading from Enniscorthy down towards the Kilcarbery bridge.

Enniscorthy Tourism have been updating their website recently - it really is priceless and here are few of the latest improvements. The website itself should be listed as one of the things for visitors to do - spot the error/typo/ missing business and win a prize. http://www.enniscorthytourism.com

mURT%2BWALSH.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I know the place you are on about, just not sure what it is called. There is an entrance to same in Kilcarbery, small lane that runs past a house on the side of the road. From what I can remember its on the right hand side on hill as your heading from Enniscorthy down towards the Kilcarbery bridge.

Hi it's called ring wood I'm not to sure how to get into in ....

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I know the place you are on about, just not sure what it is called. There is an entrance to same in Kilcarbery, small lane that runs past a house on the side of the road. From what I can remember its on the right hand side on hill as your heading from Enniscorthy down towards the Kilcarbery bridge.

On the left it is,beside that house right on the road. There might be a way via that graveyard in St.Johns,whatever it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

kneemos wrote: »
    On the left it is,beside that house right on the road. There might be a way via that graveyard in St.Johns,whatever it's called.

Is that called the corrig grave yard . spelling is probably completely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Typical Enniscorthy, I went looking for a 1/2" bsp blanking cap to put on a washing machine fitting temporarily. Went to plumbers in the business Park and he was trying to persuade me that a 1/2" Irish plumbing cap which is actually 15mm would do.... I gave up in despair and went to Patsy and he tried persuading me to jam on some fitting with loads of thread tape on the threads would work...against mains water pressure which is about 4bar in my house if not higher. I gave up and ordered one online. My father has a saying, there's 2 of everything in Enniscorthy, one's the wrong size and the other will be in next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Typical Enniscorthy, I went looking for a 1/2" bsp blanking cap to put on a washing machine fitting temporarily. Went to plumbers in the business Park and he was trying to persuade me that a 1/2" Irish plumbing cap which is actually 15mm would do.... I gave up in despair and went to Patsy and he tried persuading me to jam on some fitting with loads of thread tape on the threads would work...against mains water pressure which is about 4bar in my house if not higher. I gave up and ordered one online. My father has a saying, there's 2 of everything in Enniscorthy, one's the wrong size and the other will be in next Wednesday.

Next time try the farm shop out the old Dublin road. All manner of weird n wonderful things in there.

Do they still use imperial measurements on fittings ?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Do they still use imperial measurements on fittings ?

UK and Irish sizes are different for plumbing fittings,we still use imperial for fittings.

I think I saw the reason the foot bridge on the prom is closed,there seems to be works going on further down the pathway.

Advertisement