Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭secman

Take a trip into Gorey for a bit of Christmas spirit, lovely lights, piped music along main Street and Esmonde Street. A Christmas market was on last Sunday, have to say they put a bit of effort and money into the town. Scorty should be well able to emulate Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Two fire brigades in the square this evening. They seemed to be upstairs over Jennings. Hopefully it wasn't anything too serious

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wellyd wrote: »
    Two fire brigades in the square this evening. They seemed to be upstairs over Jennings. Hopefully it wasn't anything too serious

Does it cost double if two engines turn up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Wellyd wrote: »

Small fire in the Apt above. Nothing too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

zerks wrote: »
    The tree is now standing in the square with the abomination of an overpriced bungee ride beside it...........Now all we need are a few more shops stocking stuff we actually want and a few more shoppers to populate said shops.

Just seen the infamous tree in the square the state of it looks like the cheapest one the Christmas tree farm had thrown in the corner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

sjb25 wrote: »
    Just seen the infamous tree in the square the state of it looks like the cheapest one the Christmas tree farm had thrown in the corner
    Well, at least it won't clash with its surroundings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pinkfoot1

I have read numerous comments about how lousy Enniscorthy is and that the range of shops is dismal. Ok, we have 4 supermarkets, at least 9 convenience shops, umpteen fast food outlets, about 5 discount shops, 3 mobile phone shops, 3 gents outfitters, 3 or 4 boutiques, 3 shoe shops, numerous ladies and gents hairdressers, 2 butcher shops, some hardware shops, a carpet shop, several cafes, a few restaurants, I could go on.

So what other type of shop could one ask for?

PS Just in case you ask - I have lived in this area for over 35 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Pinkfoot1 wrote: »
    I have read numerous comments about how lousy Enniscorthy is and that the range of shops is dismal. Ok, we have 4 supermarkets, at least 9 convenience shops, umpteen fast food outlets, about 5 discount shops, 3 mobile phone shops, 3 gents outfitters, 3 or 4 boutiques, 3 shoe shops, numerous ladies and gents hairdressers, 2 butcher shops, some hardware shops, a carpet shop, several cafes, a few restaurants, I could go on.

A place to buy video games, computers, laptops, dvds, blu rays, records, CDs, consumer electronics, all the big things that sell at Christmas

As for the clothes and shoe shops well there has been plenty of people I know from Enniscorthy down in Wexford this week buying shoes and clothes because there is nowhere selling what they want in Enniscorthy so you might have a shop but the shops don't have what people want.

Pinkfoot1 wrote: »

The clothes shops are ridiculously expensive. Got a well known brand of Jeans at full price in Shaws in Wexford a few years ago,they were still cheaper than a local menswear shop was selling an unknown brand for half price.
    The supermarkets are only good for local convenience shopping,nothing there to attract shoppers from outside.

Those clothes shops are a scandal. One of them is selling a wallet that supposedly stops your debit card being scanned without your knowledge.. €60. Now, I don't know about you, but I've never had an occurrence of someone walking around with a Contactless card machine scanning my pockets without me knowing. No doubt trying to fear monger less in the know people. :rolleyes:

The problem with getting in new stores is no one sees money to be made here. I've often considered opening a games and movie store but would anyone actually buy anything? I look around and see how dead the town is and it just seems pointless.

And I had a good laugh, Cllr Keith Doyle was in a local takeaway last night moaning about how people were letting their upset over the no Christmas tree be known on facebook, went on a big rant about how they give out about that, but not all the other issues like depression, suicide etc. Clearly ignoring that if you look you'll find it very quick. Imagine complaining about no tree at Christmas of all times. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

All very well having expensive boutiques but anyone with kids will make a trip to the likes of Penneys in Wexford and while there will visit other shops.All very good dropping several hundred on an outfit in a shop in Enniscorthy but most people will rather have that money to buy several outfits.This is not Foxrock,this is Enniscorthy which still has high unemployment and people with very little disposable income.

Make a trip down there tomorrow and Wexford will be thronged,Enniscorthy will be a ghost town.The busiest places will be Lidl and Aldi which aren't even in the town centre.

I often wonder how many people buy clothes in those shops. I personally don't like penny's clothes but I'd sooner go to Wexford and buy from Shaws or TK Maxx.

I saw in the free paper here the plea to shop local :rolleyes: maybe if anyone could afford it we would.

Edups2.0 wrote: »
    I often wonder how many people buy clothes in those shops. I personally don't like penny's clothes but I'd sooner go to Wexford and buy from Shaws or TK Maxx.

I saw in the free paper here the plea to shop local :rolleyes: maybe if anyone could afford it we would.

Literally never see anybody in most of these clothes shops. Vast majority of it gets bought online I'd imagine,the rest mostly in Wexford.
    They object to big stores moving in and expect people to pay over the odds in what's left.
    Go shoite.

kneemos wrote: »
    Literally never see anybody in most of these clothes shops. Vast majority of it gets bought online I'd imagine,the rest mostly in Wexford.
    They object to big stores moving in and expect people to pay over the odds in what's left.
    Go shoite.

I'd love a new game and movie store in the town. Just something to replace xtra vision. I've heard a few prople say GameStop should open up but they wouldn't be arsed really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd love a new game and movie store in the town. Just something to replace xtra vision. I've heard a few prople say GameStop should open up but they wouldn't be arsed really.

GameStop is to expensive.

If you got a Pennys and Argos into Enniscorthy you'd see a massive pick up around the town.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    GameStop is to expensive.

If you got a Pennys and Argos into Enniscorthy you'd see a massive pick up around the town.

No games are too expensive. Yeah but Argos in Wexford would take a massive drop imo so I don't think they'd come so close to Wexford. Even Gorey didn't get one because a lot of them go to arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Must say though i think the christmas lights in Enniscorthy are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No games are too expensive. Yeah but Argos in Wexford would take a massive drop imo so I don't think they'd come so close to Wexford. Even Gorey didn't get one because a lot of them go to arklow.

Games aren't as expensive now as they were in the early 90s.

Most new releases can be gotten for €50-€60 in either Argos/Smyths/Amazon, GameStop will charge you €65-€75 for the same games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Online shopping - ever increasing as the wrinklies die off - is destroying retail bricks and mortar shops everywhere and for a town like Enniscorthy which is already in the horrors - it's terminal. The new Chinese Euro shop is just like a larger version of the old one and no better - a waste of a great renovation job. Unless the Council do something about rates - which they won't - the decline will continue. :(

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Games aren't as expensive now as they were in the early 90s.

Most new releases can be gotten for €50-€60 in either Argos/Smyths/Amazon, GameStop will charge you €65-€75 for the same games.

But that's hardly a fair comparison.

Smyths can take a loss on game sales as they make up the difference in their toy department

Argos makes it up in everything else

Amazon is online only

GameStop is 100% games and recently game merchandise, the only real profit they make is off of used games. They make in profit about 3 quid for every game sold at full price. Xtra vision and GameStop sell them as cheap as they can (or could have in xtra visions case) but obviously massive toy stores and the like of Argos can undercut them.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Online shopping - ever increasing as the wrinklies die off - is destroying retail bricks and mortar shops everywhere and for a town like Enniscorthy which is already in the horrors - it's terminal. The new Chinese Euro shop is just like a larger version of the old one and no better - a waste of a great renovation job. Unless the Council do something about rates - which they won't - the decline will continue. :(

They didn't move the euro shop to make it different they moved for the bigger space and more traffic. More people up and down rafter street than the Main Street. Plus the first place was awful, horribly cramped. You can actually breath in the new shop.

No water in town due to a burst main. The usual suspects have been seen driving around in their van claiming double time while not actually doing anything to fix it....it's not even their department ffs.
    Yes,this is what the water tax pays for.

No water in town due to a burst main. The usual suspects have been seen driving around in their van claiming double time while not actually doing anything to fix it....it's not even their department ffs.

They're up on Summerhill since early this morning,dunno if it's related.The water was off for a while in the wee small hours.
    Did notice water coming from a manhole cover on Castle St though,so maybe that's next on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

But they had the flashing beacons on the FLASHING BEACONS that means they are doing important stuff with stuff :)

Virgin Media laying ducting down along the Milehouse Rd. No hanging around from those fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Virgin Media laying ducting down along the Milehouse Rd. No hanging around from those fellas.

Hurry up and get down my way. Vodafone are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The proposed restaurant in the old bank on Castle Street seems to have bitten the dust and a "To Let" sign has appeared in the window. I doubt that there will be a stampede.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Hurry up and get down my way. Vodafone are a joke.

I have Vodafone and my speed is 90Mb/s down and 20 up.

Virgin have most of the town done,Bellfield,Moran Park,The Moyne and more are live for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Re: The walking trail between the Prom and Edermine

They laid fresh gravel on about half the trail (it stops about half way between the hospital and Roadstone) along with doing some drainage work.

I'm guessing it was year end budget but they didn't have enough to do the entire trail.

The fresh laid gravel looks good, but I guess you might still call it a half-arsed job... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Eir are rolling out fibre in town as well, up to 1 Gigabit per second. They say the FIRST live road will be live in mid 2017 so probably orderable by August 2017? That would be seriously good but their rollout seems to be going pretty slowly at the moment. To see if you are on the plans go to http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ and zoom in on enniscorthy. If you're on a blue line you're in luck (sometime next year).

Advertisement