Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pinkfoot1

zerks wrote: »
    I have Vodafone and my speed is 90Mb/s down and 20 up.

Virgin have most of the town done,Bellfield,Moran Park,The Moyne and more are live for a while now.
    I have Eir Fibre (FTTC) and I get 47Mb/s down and 15Mb/s up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Went mad this morning and got the bus to Wexford (30 mins late) and the stop at the Bus Stop Shop is a charming place to while away the time and survey all human life. Three locals (two adults and a teenager) enjoyed a repast on the riverbank before throwing their cans into the Slaney; at the grimy bus set-down point numerous cars were illegally parked while their occupants visited the Bus Stop Shop. The Celtic Tiger is definitely back judging from the amount of passing contractors vans and people buying Breakfast Rolls - including the 'pyjama family'. I had never encountered this phenomena before and it's quite appalling - pink dressing gowns, flip flops....ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrived in Wexford in good time - quick bit of business and back to the bus, but not before taking in the surroundings. Small trees and other plants growing out of the Redmond monument in an otherwise nicely maintained park - why? And then the pièce de résistance - the railway station - recently painted by a farmer (?) and a really poor job. The timber bargeboards left peeling and a finial about to fall onto the pavement. The station itself, devoid of timetables, access to the platform barricaded and toilets locked....I could go on but why bother.... Incidentally, you should make the journey while you can as in view of Bus Eireann's plans announced today......:(

Took the train down to Wexford this morning - quite a few got on in Enniscorthy despite lack of advertising and the fare being 50% more than the bus. It can usually be relied on timewise which is more than can be said for the bus.

Anyway here are a couple of pics - make of them what you will.

REDMOND.png

Redmond Monument with tree growing from it - why is it not properly maintained?

tour%2Bsign.jpg

The grimy tourist information board that greets visitors arriving by train or bus. The filthy perspex has been in this condition for years.

On the positive side of things, I saw lots of wildlife on the journey including a Buzzard and a Kingfisher - a magical trip on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Took the train down to Wexford this morning - quite a few got on in Enniscorthy despite lack of advertising and the fare being 50% more than the bus. It can usually be relied on timewise which is more than can be said for the bus.

Anyway here are a couple of pics - make of them what you will.

REDMOND.png

Redmond Monument with tree growing from it - why is it not properly maintained?

tour%2Bsign.jpg

The grimy tourist information board that greets visitors arriving by train or bus. The filthy perspex has been in this condition for years.

On the positive side of things, I saw lots of wildlife on the journey including a Buzzard and a Kingfisher - a magical trip on a sunny day.

I was down that way myself this morning, picking up stuff that as usual can't be got in Enniscorthy.
    No Buzzards on my journey but a few nesting near my house though. Amazing sight seeing a bird that size gliding around almost effortlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Why is Sam McCauley's closed?

daraghwal wrote: »
    Why is Sam McCauley's closed?

Lunchtime??

Tbf it's one of the busiest shops in the town.

• Advertisement

Lunchtime??

Shutters are down and there's a sign on the door with something else beside it but I only wondered why it was closed when I had gone by it.

Shutters are down and there's a sign on the door with something else beside it but I only wondered why it was closed when I had gone by it.

Open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Lunchtime??

They don't close for lunch.

Mrs. McCauley died yesterday I believe.

They don't close for lunch.

Mrs. McCauley died yesterday I believe.

My lunchtime post was in jest.

I heard that,completely forgot so I reckon they closed for the funeral.

My lunchtime post was in jest.

I heard that,completely forgot so I reckon they closed for the funeral.

Most likely yeah. It's strange they opened at all yesterday. I would've assumed they'd close for the day out of respect for the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Lovely lady - and her late husband, Gerry was a gentleman.

RIP.

Most likely yeah. It's strange they opened at all yesterday. I would've assumed they'd close for the day out of respect for the owner.

Capitalism trumps sentiment these days unfortunately.

Capitalism trumps sentiment these days unfortunately.

Or they might not want to inconvenience their customers too much??

Or they might not want to inconvenience their customers too much??

Oh imagine poor old Betty had to go to a different chemist for one day. God Mrs. McCauley is an awful woman deciding to die.

Oh imagine poor old Betty had to go to a different chemist for one day. God Mrs. McCauley is an awful woman deciding to die.

What? I was just saying that I doubt they were keeping the shop open for the "Capitalism". No need to be like that.

What? I was just saying that I doubt they were keeping the shop open for the "Capitalism". No need to be like that.

I would well believe the former. In this day and age it's too much for a bit of respect to close for the day. A staff member in the Gala died a few months back, shop closed for the day, SVP was closed on Thursday due to a bereavement. It's just the way. If a staff member or someone closely connected to a shop or business dies you don't go carry on working.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nobody in EuroGiant. Hard to see them lasting.

In other news I hear that the relocated Chinese Euro shop on Rafter Street is not going well and may not last much into the New Year.

In other news I hear that the relocated Chinese Euro shop on Rafter Street is not going well and may not last much into the New Year.

?? It doesn't look much busier than it used to. But why would it? It's just a pound shop. Another pound shop.

Fire brigade in attendance at flats behind My Sports - umteenth time since I've lived nearby. What goes on in there? :confused:

Update: Must have been a major event as the brigade has already gone - whole incident took less than 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

Fire brigade in attendance at flats behind My Sports - umteenth time since I've lived nearby. What goes on in there? :confused:

Update: Must have been a major event as the brigade has already gone - whole incident took less than 10 minutes.

Cat stuck up a tree?

Could be just messers wasting their time.

?? It doesn't look much busier than it used to. But why would it? It's just a pound shop. Another pound shop.

Feck all footfall on Rafter St. anymore.Hard for something to thrive in a desert.

Feck all footfall on Rafter St. in the whole town anymore.Hard for something to thrive in a desert.

FYP.

No joking - I've lived in enniscorthy now 3 year and I've spent in that time €4.50 in the Chinese pound shop. Once bought the roses strawberry dream sweet bag and just recently bought a wallet because it was only 3 euro as opposed to 30 or 60 in modern fashion :rolleyes:

The bus late again. Passengers standing in the rain for a bus that should have showed up 10 minutes ago and before that more passnagers in the rain waiting for a bus that was 15 minutes late going to Dublin. Still no sign of him.

Bus Éireann due at 3.25 no show still at 3:42, the Wexford bus should be here at 3:45 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Can anyone tell me if there is all day parking at or near the train station - need to catch the 8am train northbound. Thanks

jordata wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there is all day parking at or near the train station - need to catch the 8am train northbound. Thanks

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/enniscorthy

Why is there gridlock all day today?

kneemos wrote: »
    Why is there gridlock all day today?

An artic broke down just before coming onto the bridge from Wexford this morning,it was gone when I was going back through town at midday but for some reason the town was still choked with traffic.
    The traffic was backed out to Blackstoops,the rat run through Solsborogh is gone as BAM have closed the road until February so everybody from the Ferns side has to stick to the N11.

Don't forget it's your chance to see if you can spot Del Monte at the Antiques & Crafts Fair in the Athenaeum this Friday/Saturday/Sunday from 11am-5pm each day. :D

• Advertisement

Half the place closed a five even when there are a few shoppers about.

Advertisement