Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

I appreciate the clarification.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

johnwd wrote: »
    Broken glass around Enniscorthy and Templeshannon in particular has been a problem since the year dot ... that and chip papers. As for the bins for dog poop, when there aren't any then I say either a) bring it home or b) get those bio degradeable bags and peg the thing into a ditch/field rather than leaving it on the pavement for someone to walk into.

When you see people letting their dogs sh1te beside the bins then it's the problem of the owners not the council.

The council should be out giving fines to people instead of sitting around moaning about Christmas trees and depression. Get out and fcuking do their jobs for a change.

I've made the point before,why can't the wardens start at about 7am and patrol the blackspots and catch these offenders as they clean out their pets before breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

zerks wrote: »
    I've made the point before,why can't the wardens start at about 7am and patrol the blackspots and catch these offenders as they clean out their pets before breakfast.

That's called work mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Another shop gone - "Rare Bits" the small antique shop owned by Agnes Allen on Slaney Street. Crystal Script have relocated from their recently opened premises near the top of the street to the former "Rare Bits" premises.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Another shop gone - "Rare Bits" the small antique shop owned by Agnes Allen on Slaney Street. Crystal Script have relocated from their recently opened premises near the top of the street to the former "Rare Bits" premises.

Anything decent ever in there? I walked past loads but it always looked closed down, gate on the window and everything.

The rumours about St.Senans hospital have been confirmed. It's up for sale with a price tag of €780,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The rumours about St.Senans hospital have been confirmed. It's up for sale with a price tag of €780,000.

Not a listed building surprisingly. It is going on An Taisce's top ten most at risk buildings however.
    If it's left empty it'll be destroyed. https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj62b7Rmb3RAhWpKcAKHYwkBtAQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Flife-and-style%2Fhomes-and-property%2Fbuildings-at-risk-1.1914414&usg=AFQjCNGnzooYtLYmewOX0DycoSuvFfmnQg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Parking 80-100% of your car on the footpath seems to be on the rise in Enniscorthy. Don't worry about mothers with prams or small kids, let them walk out on the road.

Ever wished you were the Chocolate Soldier for a day?

kneemos wrote: »

Would it really be any great loss?

• Advertisement

Would it really be any great loss?

Certainly would. A lot of these places are grey and featureless,you'd wonder what the fuss is about,such as the old Wexford Hospital.
    St.Senans is a magnificent looking building. Probably too vast to be of any use to anybody,but a shame if it goes to ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ribbonsandpins

Having come across this thread by accident I have read with interest the various contributions made about the towns declining economy. Can someone clarify for me what they mean whey they say that there is no money in Enniscorthy. Are you referring to the immediate town area? The reason I ask is because if you look at the selection of business that are still operating there is a mix of high end (I’m thinking specifically of a couple of the women’s boutiques) to middle of the road stuff (again a couple of clothes shops in mind) and the lower end of the scale i.e euro shops,dealz etc.

Despite what a number of contributors have said the womens clothes shops both high and middle budget range have a very loyal clientele. If you check out their facebook pages it’ll give you an idea. Just because the shop floor isn’t full of customers doesn’t mean it’s not doing business.

There are a number of hair salons, beauty salons , nail bars etc all with an online presence and these are the kind of places where disposable income is spent. Personally I don’t have a huge amount of disposable income but what I do have I make the effort to spend locally. I have always found service in small local shops to be far better than the bigger stores elsewhere. If there’s something I need but can’t pay for outright I simply put a deposit down and pay it off. Granted there are some things I have to travel to Wexford town for – childrens clothes comes to mind.
    The amount of people on here whinging that a business such as Heatons hasn’t arrived in town to save the day makes me laugh. The same people openly admit they don’t/won’t do any shopping in the town and then give out when another business closes down.

Speaking of business’ closing,:Cloze and Shooz is having a closing down sale due to the sad passing of its owner, Mag. A really genuine, friendly woman who was so good with customers. Again take a look at the facebook page and it’ll give you an idea of how active some business are.

I do feel that there should be a lot more collaboration between business, service providers, chamber of commerce etc. in really selling the town to visitors and locals. Take for example the Enniscorthy 10k which is scheduled for next month. This event gets a really good turnout with club runners travelling from Dublin, Cork, Kilkenny etc. Yet apart from the signs advertising the race (assume by Slaney Olympic the organisers of the event) there doesn’t seem to be any input from the chamber of commerce and co. (I’m open to correction on that) Wouldn’t it be beneficial to the town to make this into a weekend event with a race package on offer to include a couple of nights accommodation and maybe an effort to get some live music in the local pubs, perhaps a discount card for sports and health food shop and physiotherapy practice. Just thinking out loud...

Yeah, yeah everybody has Facebook pages and they are pretty meaningless. The useless Council and their rates, greedy property owners leaving premises empty rather than looking for realistic rents and an inner circle guarding their own bailiwicks to the exclusion of most people.

Mmmmm shop local?

I want a jumper. I could go to one of the clothes shops here and spend perhaps €100 on that jumper or I could go online or into a shop in Wexford and get it cheaper. It's very simple for anyone to go on Facebook and be active there but that doesn't translate into money. Even dunnes is due to have the drapery section closed down. The whole town is ridiculously overpriced considering a vast majority of Enniscorthy is unemployed. How many people do you genuinely think go into the clothes shops here and buy anything on a regular basis? I rather think very few. Besides that wexford town for example doesn't survive on customers solely in Wexford for a town to function effectively we need people from other towns coming to do their shopping, but as Del.Monte has said, the council & landowners greed stops any new business being arsed starting up. It's naive to think that if Penny's, Iceland, Tesco or TK Maxx came to the town like they were planning to (before dunnes stopped it because they have a fcuking 99 year lease on a building they don't inhabit!!) it wouldn't have any positive effect on the town. You're talking out of your arse at that stage. Big business means more employment which means more money in the town to spend in the local shops. We have for example the takeaways who won't hire anyone who isn't a woman because men start fights :rolleyes: a backwards and bull**** claim that should be stamped out. Pettits are as bad even, I sent two CVs in, which were identical, one was my wife's name one was mine - she heard back I didn't. Sorry but if I go into a shop or takeaway looking for some work to be told "sorry we want to hire a woman" then there's something wrong there. The whole town is fcuked tbh. Evacuate and nuke the place.

Tesco were prevented from building,Lidl were prevented from expanding because they would detract from the town centre(state of it). If anything they would have attracted more shoppers,or at least saved folk the trip to Wexford.
    Who even buys clothes in a shop anymore,bar maybe the sales.

Tesco were prevented from building,Lidl were prevented from expanding because they would detract from the town centre(state of it). If anything they would have attracted more shoppers,or at least saved folk the trip to Wexford.
    Who even buys clothes in a shop anymore,bar maybe the sales.

Yeah but the litter, broken glass and dog shít everywhere looks great for the town :rolleyes:

Yes we have high end boutiques who have their regular customers but people with kids don't shop there.Even Dunnes has become expensive and as somebody said to me "€30 for a kids shirt in Dunnes but it's still Dunnes,not a designer brand."
    People will gladly jump in the car and spend €100 or more on a load of stuff in Heatons or Penneys where €100 will get you feck all in Enniscorthy and 9 times out of 10 you won't get what you want in the place.
    A friend of mine went to a local shop to get suited and booted,no shirts to fit or a trousers to go with it."Ah sure would these not do you?" was one answer and then it was "we can order them in next week".He wanted them for the next night,into his car and down to Wexford,2 new shirts,trousers and shoes within 10 minutes in the shop and they even worked out cheaper than they would have in Enniscorthy.

In positive news,it looks like a new shop is opening where the Chinese discount store used to be.

In positive news,it looks like a new shop is opening where the Chinese discount store used to be.

Positive as long as it's not another poundshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 supersiren

Enniscorthy really has zero appeal to me anymore..yes it's only a ten minute drive into town but realistically where is there to shop (for women's clothes/ shoes etc)? The one last shop that I would have actually visited (and rarely enough as it was expensive) has just closed down -cloze and shoes and for such sad reasons. I went into dunnes last Monday evening to do my food shop which I usually go to Lidl to do but needed baby stuff so said dunnes would do..well I was greeted by completely empty shelves in the fruit/ veg and bread section..I actually questioned was the shop closing down it was that bad. So I had to put my trolley back and leave the car park which I had already paid for and head up town to SuperValu and yet people harp on about shopping locally..how can I when there's nothing in the shops???
    Few weeks ago parked up in town centre to get a few bits in dealz/ chemist and had the buggy with me when I got back to the car one of the wheels had dog **** on it which I do try to look out for but obviously wasn't that careful that day. I think it's really sad that I even have to watch out for it on the footpaths etc in the middle of the town..it's really disgusting!
    This probably sounds like I'm bashing enniscorthy but I'm just sad that the town has got to this stage..if I go down to Wexford today I have nemerous shops to chose from for myself of all price ranges and for the sake of an extra half hour or so drive it's well worth it. I don't know how or if enniscorthy will ever come back but there are only so many pound shops that one town needs.

It looks like work has started clearing the site for the new filling station in The Milehouse.

• Advertisement

The 'boy racers' have the town to themselves tonight - not a garda to be seen. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The 'boy racers' have the town to themselves tonight - not a garda to be seen. :rolleyes:

Bandit country, call the superintendent and get an answer, demand one

They must have been taking time out from drag racing out in Templescoby,you could hear them for half the night at it.

The land that somebody posted about earlier that was for sale opposite Shingaun estate in the Milehouse has Sale Agreed posted on it,it has planning for houses,retail,creche and medical centre,along with a new filling station within 100 metres and in the future easy access to the bypass,that part of town is becoming very developed.

vicwatson wrote: »

That's why I saw the armed response unit and garda vans passing through town Saturday.Delighted for the cnuts,hope they get decades rather than years in jail.

Chance being a fine thing. This is Ireland and it's their culture y'know

vicwatson wrote: »
    Chance being a fine thing. This is Ireland and it's their culture y'know

They bought a cottage in Brownswood,it's pretty much a wreck but filled the yard with mobile homes and caravans. I think they were reported on a few months ago in the local papers due to criminal activities.

Ger Carty in the square has a closing up notice in the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ger Carty in the square has a closing up notice in the window.

He's retiring.

Advertisement