Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

To be followed by two/three more long established businesses very shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Del.Monte wrote: »

Many of whom objected to development around the town and are now retiring and sitting pretty on the money they made over the long years they held sway over trade in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

"Ms. Phone Care" is the new shop opening on Main Street, where the pound shop was.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

kneemos wrote: »
    Ger Carty in the square has a closing up notice in the window.

Cant blame the Man really as the town is full of wannabe photographers:rolleyes: these days, That Enniscorthy History:o:o FB page is a prime example of that.

"Ms. Phone Care" is the new shop opening on Main Street, where the pound shop was.

Badly needed. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Navarre wrote: »
    Cant blame the Man really as the town is full of wannabe photographers:rolleyes: these days, That Enniscorthy History:o:o FB page is a prime example of that.

Imagine people having hobbies, those inconsiderates.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note,

Mind the Language

Badly needed. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside, it really is, Sunday in Gadget Technology currently holds monopoly which is bad for consumers. Frankly, if a new shop helps to drive down prices, then I welcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Definitely a market for a proper newsagent in the town centre I reackon. There isn't anywhere to get a coffee,sandwich/roll and bits a bobs. Most of the empty units aren't big enough to swing with a cat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

zerks wrote: »
    Many of whom objected to development around the town and are now retiring and sitting pretty on the money they made over the long years they held sway over trade in the town.

What line of business are they in that they could justify objecting to new development around the town ?

Just curious ( as someone not originally from Enniscorthy )

• Advertisement

ninja 12 wrote: »
    What line of business are they in that they could justify objecting to new development around the town ?

Just curious ( as someone not originally from Enniscorthy )

It's not so much the type of business but many of the established businesses saw the building of a new Tesco SC outside the town as having the potential to suck the life out of the town centre and their businesses. That it happened anyway without Tesco coming to Enniscorthy is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Curious... all the Tesco talk that often crops up... do people feel that Tesco in New Ross has help that town?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Curious... all the Tesco talk that often crops up... do people feel that Tesco in New Ross has help that town?

Good case study I suppose,both are empty I take it?

The supermarkets will always object anyway,but An Bord Pleanala up held the objection to a Tesco and a Lidl expansion on the grounds it would damage the town centre. It's kind of frustrating to think nobody can ever build anything.How do we expect to get any progress?

jpb1974 wrote: »

It's not Tesco per se but it's a fine example of the protectionist attitude of long established traders in the town who always lunched together happy in the knowledge that they hold a monopoly in the town.A few people own a lot of the retail space in the town and hold any budding newcomer who tries to open up to ransom with extortionate rents and the council don't help with demands for rates as soon as the doors open on a new business.
    The chairman of Nenagh town council was on The Last Word a few weeks ago and they have a plan of reduced rates until a business becomes established,long term thinking there.In Enniscorthy the hands come out straight away,no wonder so many places close up within months.

Lidl is the latest to fall foul of the 'cartel' in this town who made their money when the place was actually doing well and will protect their little empire with gusto.

Regarding retail developments,there was a lot of activity around the Supervalu/Eurogiant site by estate agents etc. this morning,will we see something happening there? At the time of Tesco being stopped the consensus by 'experts' was that a retail development would be better service to the town if it was located in Abbey Square,maybe this is actually happening but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Dunnes Stores on Rafter street is a blight on the town, they should never have been allowed move unless they gave a commitment to allow the old store to be redeveloped, regardless of tenants. They should be massively fined for that place.

Dunnes Stores on Rafter street is a blight on the town, they should never have been allowed move unless they gave a commitment to allow the old store to be redeveloped, regardless of tenants. They should be massively fined for that place.

I don't know how the council allow it to remain empty. Having a massive empty building right in the middle of the town is shocking, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They did the same in Wexford Town, must be a thing they do

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I don't know how the council allow it to remain empty. Having a massive empty building right in the middle of the town is shocking, frankly.
    vicwatson wrote: »

Dunnes did the same in Dundalk .

When the Marshes Centre opened (They are the main tenant ) , they just abandoned the old premises .

https://goo.gl/maps/WjaKtcaFYVE2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Even if Dunnes do not want a property for themselves, they would rather leave it idle than sell it to a competitor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Dunnes did the same in Dundalk .

When the Marshes Centre opened (They are the main tenant ) , they just abandoned the old premises .

https://goo.gl/maps/WjaKtcaFYVE2
    Even if Dunnes do not want a property for themselves, they would rather leave it idle than sell it to a competitor

I believe Arklow was subject to a similar tactic when they moved into the Bridgewater too. Unfortunately the only potential occupant for a former Dunnes premises is likely to be a competitor, and they don't like competition. The premises in Enniscorthy is actually a bit unusual in that it could theoretically have been split up into smaller units (I think it was, after all, made up of several smaller units merged to begin with), and been re-let without the same risk of a competitor occupying it, but that would be a big cost to a new business, and Dunnes were unlikely to invest the money to split it either.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    I believe Arklow was subject to a similar tactic when they moved into the Bridgewater too. Unfortunately the only potential occupant for a former Dunnes premises is likely to be a competitor, and they don't like competition. The premises in Enniscorthy is actually a bit unusual in that it could theoretically have been split up into smaller units (I think it was, after all, made up of several smaller units merged to begin with), and been re-let without the same risk of a competitor occupying it, but that would be a big cost to a new business, and Dunnes were unlikely to invest the money to split it either.

A store on three different levels ain't much good to anybody I'd imagine even if they wanted to let it.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

I always thought that Dunnes unit had potential for a lifestyle/home/craft store with a nice deli/cafe supporting small Irish producers. Unfortunately, the town doesn't have the appetite for it.

The town council/older retailers in town can be blamed all day long for not supporting growth over the years but I honestly think the people in the town/surrounding areas have done this to themselves. Simple example is Doyles butchers...they couldn't compete with supermarket meat prices. They had special offers etc that were good value with good quality meat. The locals didn't support them. They let a family business go under. A small country town is run by families and needs the support of local families to survive.

tatumkelly wrote: »
    I always thought that Dunnes unit had potential for a lifestyle/home/craft store with a nice deli/cafe supporting small Irish producers. Unfortunately, the town doesn't have the appetite for it.

The town council/older retailers in town can be blamed all day long for not supporting growth over the years but I honestly think the people in the town/surrounding areas have done this to themselves. Simple example is Doyles butchers...they couldn't compete with supermarket meat prices. They had special offers etc that were good value with good quality meat. The locals didn't support them. They let a family business go under. A small country town is run by families and needs the support of local families to survive.

How do Staffords manage then? Staffords always had people waiting to be served and Doyle's didn't.

The plain fact is that a cartel of business interests didn't want a big supermarket on the outskirts of town, and the useless Council are crucifying businesses with rates. Not forgetting a couple of merchant princes who own half the property in the town and want eye watering rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

How do Staffords manage then? Staffords always had people waiting to be served and Doyle's didn't.

The plain fact is that a cartel of business interests didn't want a big supermarket on the outskirts of town, and the useless Council are crucifying businesses with rates. Not forgetting a couple of merchant princes who own half the property in the town and want eye watering rents.

Staffords farm/slaughter their own beef so were always more competitively priced than Doyles.

Rates are a disaster for every town across the country and not all have fallen to ruin like Enniscorthy.

Doyle's did not close due to lack of local support. It had many loyal customers. The business was used as leverage to finance investments that went sour and eventually debts were called in and the shop closed.I think the ill fated Setanta Insurance was one of the investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

cython wrote: »
    store was levelled last year and a new library/council offices built in its place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Sitting outside O'Briens at midday today, enjoying a cup of coffee and a little spring sunshine on my back, when a person pulled their car up on the double yellow lines outside the shop and proceeded to have a phone conversation and cigarette.

A few minutes later they threw the still lit cigarette out the car window and onto the pavement about 5-6 yards away from me. I won't go into the details of what happened next, only to say that the person left shortly afterwards with their cigarette handed back to them.

A couple of minutes later an onlooker from inside the shop came out, congratulated me and proceeded to tell me how the cigarette smoker had recently qualified as a member of the establishment tasked with upholding the law in our country.

Heard today that Siopa Brog is due to close,Matt Mernaghs possibly due to retirement and English's stores will also close.
    Even if two out of three close I can't honestly see anybody taking up the space left by them.

tatumkelly wrote: »
    Staffords farm/slaughter their own beef so were always more competitively priced than Doyles.

Rates are a disaster for every town across the country and not all have fallen to ruin like Enniscorthy.

How can a butchers survive in a town with 3 of them? That's the problem we have in this town, too much of the same. On Weafer St. Where I live, there's 5 hair salons, go down to the square and there's 3 takeaways and 2 pubs, go up rafter St. There's another pub and takeaway; there's 3 pound shops, there was 2 Supervalus? Like come on now.. two SuperValus and not one Tesco? While I like SuperValu it's abhorrently expensive. The whole town has nothing affordable. You have Lidl & Aldi and that's it.

the pound shops are somewhat affordable but most of what they sell is crap anyway, so if god help you one day you see that you're short of some tea towels, you can buy rags in dealz for 1.50, buy slightly better rags in dunnes for €8 or some rags on par with dunnes for €10 in Smyths. And can I just ask how many people when in need of some kitchen equipment or homewares actually buy them in smyths? I'd rather go into Wexford and buy those in heatons or Tesco!

• Advertisement

The playground at Bellfield is a disgrace, there's ones in villages around the country who had to fundraise to get one that are immaculate and well kept.
    I drove into the car park to be greeted by crows having a feast on the remains of some bollixes Chinese takeaway obviously dumped last night.
    There's lettering missing off the statue of Sean Kelly.I've yet to see anyone maintaining the place.Lack of funding can't be blamed, there's enough lads on CE schemes that could spend some time there bringing it up to standard and not have it looking like somewhere abandoned near Chernobyl.

Advertisement