Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So is the cinema gone at this stage? Was looking up listings the other day and saw that Enniscorthy's had been taken down. Tis a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I wonder if Smyths Arro store is expanding,saw their staff doing a big clear out of the former toyshop on Weafer St. Don't think it's gona be a 'total rubbish' outlet-sorry to disappoint you Judgement Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Watched the movie (the violent enemy), lets just say the oscars were justified in not rewarding it that yr...nice to see the town in a movie.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Watched the movie (the violent enemy), lets just say the oscars were justified in not rewarding it that yr...nice to see the town in a movie.

I have been trying for years to get me hands on this movie. how did you come across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

its on amazon. dont think its sold out...yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I knew it was too good to be true. Passed again yesterday 2.15pm and two CE workers were picking up loads of litter from the grass outside the school.

Passed the back of St.Mary's today (Saturday) and the grassy area between Parnell Road and St.John's Street is papered with tins, fast food packaging and so on - it looks like the kids gave the Parnell Stores a big send off! It closed for good on Friday evening. Where this leaves the school kids I don't know? Perhaps their parents can give them something out of their wheelie bins to bring to school or perhaps the school could open a tuck shop at the back gate. I shudder to think of how environmentally conscious the St.Mary's students are by the time they do the Leaving Cert. Do they have nature/environment studies in the school or even anything on basic civic responsibility? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Passed the back of St.Mary's today (Saturday) and the grassy area between Parnell Road and St.John's Street is papered with tins, fast food packaging and so on - it looks like the kids gave the Parnell Stores a big send off! It closed for good on Friday evening. Where this leaves the school kids I don't know? Perhaps their parents can give them something out of their wheelie bins to bring to school or perhaps the school could open a tuck shop at the back gate. I shudder to think of how environmentally conscious the St.Mary's students are by the time they do the Leaving Cert. Do they have nature/environment studies in the school or even anything on basic civic responsibility? :rolleyes:

Maybe if there were bins provided? You can't expect 800 odd students not to make a mess if there's only one bin in a bad location. The school has a huge anti litter drive and the grounds are spotless, the rest of the town is just as bad as the green area behind the school.

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Maybe if there were bins provided? You can't expect 800 odd students not to make a mess if there's only one bin in a bad location. The school has a huge anti litter drive and the grounds are spotless, the rest of the town is just as bad as the green area behind the school.

Surprisingly I do expect them not to make a mess. There are two bins within feet of the area that I mentioned. There is obviously no sense of civic pride instilled in the school and the management of same should have the students out during their break periods cleaning up the mess instead of leaving it for the CE scheme.

Surprisingly I do expect them not to make a mess. There are two bins within feet of the area that I mentioned. There is obviously no sense of civic pride instilled in the school and the management of same should have the students out during their break periods cleaning up the mess instead of leaving it for the CE scheme.

+1

And then what? Go to school all day and on your breaks be forced to clean outside, a job which the council is actually there for? It's not just the back of the school the whole town is filthy so I don't see why you're singling it out. And if your child was out cleaning the green I bet you wouldn't be too happy.

• Advertisement

JayEnnis wrote: »
    And then what? Go to school all day and on your breaks be forced to clean outside, a job which the council is actually there for? It's not just the back of the school the whole town is filthy so I don't see why you're singling it out. And if your child was out cleaning the green I bet you wouldn't be too happy.

I have tried to teach my children to respect the environment and they wouldn't leave their litter on the street for someone else to pick up. Civic pride is where it's at! No school that I attended would have allowed such behaviour. My secondary school did not even allow students to consume food while walking back along the road between the local shop and the school.

Perhaps the lack of good civic responsibility being taught at school is part of the reason that the town is so filthy.

These chaps have no respect for the enviroment and the residents living at the end of John street. I have said it before they treat the place like a Rubbish tip now that the shop is closed maybe they wont gather around the grass triangle anymore also I like a lot of other people drive by that Junction every morning on the way to work these chaps should also learn to use the pedestrian crossing thats there instead of throwing themselves out in front of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi.
    Would anyone know what the quickest route from Galway city to Enniscorthy is?
    Have heard someone say to go via Portlaoise while someone else said to take the motorway to Dublin and then get on another motorway down to Enniscorthy from there.
    Anyone here know the quickest route?
    Thanks in advance

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi.
    Would anyone know what the quickest route from Galway city to Enniscorthy is?
    Have heard someone say to go via Portlaoise while someone else said to take the motorway to Dublin and then get on another motorway down to Enniscorthy from there.
    Anyone here know the quickest route?
    Thanks in advance

Depends on time you're travelling-if you hit Dublin traffic at the wrong time God help you.I usually travel via Portlaoise as I found it quicker,much of a muchness really.

Rumours of the cinema site being turned into a bowling alley,has anybody else heard anything?

Not sure but I heard treacy's were expanding into the rooms above. Don't think Enniscorthy could support a bowling alley

Here we go again - 8.52pm and the water is off in this part of town - yet again with no prior warning. A couple of mornings this week it has also been off with no warning. Our local authorities are really for the birds - a byeword for arrogance! Would it really be too hard to put a note through people's doors advising of water outages? :mad:

Just came across this Pathe newsreel film of 1798 celebrations on Vinegar in 1938 - see if you recognise anybody. :D

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=18875

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Here we go again - 8.52pm and the water is off in this part of town - yet again with no prior warning. A couple of mornings this week it has also been off with no warning. Our local authorities are really for the birds - a byeword for arrogance! Would it really be too hard to put a note through people's doors advising of water outages? :mad:
    http://www.mapalerter.com/wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mapalerter

Thanks @TheChevron! :D
    Wexford Co Co and Enniscorthy TC are now fully subscribed Alerters on MapAlerter.com and are offering Phone, SMS and Email alerts for the entire county.

This is a free service... we'd appreciate it if you could help spread the word to others in the county.

• Advertisement

mapalerter wrote: »
    Thanks @TheChevron! :D
    Wexford Co Co and Enniscorthy TC are now fully subscribed Alerters on MapAlerter.com and are offering Phone, SMS and Email alerts for the entire county.

This is a free service... we'd appreciate it if you could help spread the word to others in the county.
    Love the service, I just have one small complaint (sorry).

I got texts all last week telling me the water was being cut of a 10pm each night in Enniscorthy. The problem is, the water was shut off at 8pm. So for the first few nights I didnt get to store a bit of water.

Once again, great service, hopefully you can iron out little issues like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mapalerter

That's an excellent point - and is something to do with the content that Wexford Co Co are delivering (rather than it being a MapAlerter system issue).

I'll forward the message on to the project manager at Wexford Co Co. This is great feedback.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Thank you Judgement day for posting that video, but I couldn't recognise anyone. I would have loved to have been alive in Enniscorthy in the 1930s they were great times.

Nice to see the freshly painted double yellow lines outside St.Aidans N.S are doing the job:rolleyes:.The whole area was one big car park again today.
    On the spot fines wouldn't go astray,imagine an ambulance or fire brigade needing to get through.

The race is on now to see whether "El Kippo" aka The Castle Nite Club will reopen before The Castle Museum - the reopening date for the latter has now slipped from Easter to 'opening soon'. :rolleyes:

zerks wrote: »
    Nice to see the freshly painted double yellow lines outside St.Aidans N.S are doing the job:rolleyes:.The whole area was one big car park again today.
    On the spot fines wouldn't go astray,imagine an ambulance or fire brigade needing to get through.
    Wanton abandonment!

The race is on now to see whether "El Kippo" aka The Castle Nite Club will reopen before The Castle Museum - the reopening date for the latter has now slipped from Easter to 'opening soon'. :rolleyes:
    Castle opening Friday Night!! Yeaow!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Being opened by two VERY naive people.

Being opened by two VERY naive people.
    Why do you say that?

• Advertisement

Yes, do tell!!:D

Advertisement