Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

And the amount of dog **** around the town lately is disgraceful, it has always been a problem, seems even worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wexford County Council have better things to be spending our money on

Athenaeum - Was to cost 250,000 then went up to over 3 times that (how/why?) and Wex Co Co lobbied Howlin he approved the extra funding, unreal really, easy to spend other peoples money, Wexford Co Co and Labour in Wexford are the experts in doing that -

Anyone that has an account might paste up full article

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/howlins-876-000-for-constituency-1916-project-dkql02hm7

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

vicwatson wrote: »
    Wexford County Council have better things to be spending our money on

Athenaeum - Was to cost 250,000 then went up to over 3 times that (how/why?) and Wex Co Co lobbied Howlin he approved the extra funding, unreal really, easy to spend other peoples money, Wexford Co Co and Labour in Wexford are the experts in doing that -

Anyone that has an account might paste up full article

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/howlins-876-000-for-constituency-1916-project-dkql02hm7

It's the law of nature,winter always follows Autumn and Government contracts always escalate.

Who's even running that place anyway? The doors are open,presumably somebody or bodies are employed in there. Might rob the petty cash for a new flag or take down the rag that's up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

kneemos wrote: »
    It's the law of nature,winter always follows Autumn and Government contracts always escalate.

Who's even running that place anyway? The doors are open,presumably somebody or bodies are employed in there. Might rob the petty cash for a new flag or take down the rag that's up there.

Seems to be a museum and theatre. Five days worth of theatre between now and March, and the only thing on in January was a Palestinian solidarity event.

Great use of tax payers money...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The rag was taken down by council workers yesterday. It seems that rules regarding flying the flag are ignored when it suits: https://senatormarkdaly.org/irish-flag-can-now-be-flown-at-night-thanks-to-protocol-change/ but even allowing for this piece of nonsense the flag on the Athenaeum is not lit up at night.

As regards the building itself: it appears to be manned by volunteers but the council also have some involvement. i attended an antiques/crafts fair there before Christmas and there was no heating as a cost saving measure. It was cold!!

There was also evidence of leaks in the roof and damp on the walls of the main room - no sign of the builders being called back in to put things right though. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ENNISCORTHY IS THE SECOND CLEANEST TOWN IN IRELAND

http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2016/09/08/enniscorthy-is-the-second-cleanest-town-in-ireland/

This has got to be a joke surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Del.Monte wrote: »
    ENNISCORTHY IS THE SECOND CLEANEST TOWN IN IRELAND

http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2016/09/08/enniscorthy-is-the-second-cleanest-town-in-ireland/

This has got to be a joke surely?

Thank god we have the unemployed to clean the streets,
    (Gateway/ CE scheme). i just hope unemployment doesn't fall so low that there is no one to do it, other wise the council would have to start employing/paying people to do it. God forbid!

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    (Gateway/ CE scheme). i just hope unemployment doesn't fall so low that there is no one to do it, other wise the council would have to start employing/paying people to do it. God forbid!

The Tidy Towns Crew are out every Sunday morning in fairness,whatever the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

The Tidy Towns Crew are out every Sunday morning in fairness,whatever the weather.

Volunteers.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Fat chance as unemployment is rampant in the town and county. Anyway, whatever about CE schemes and the Tidy Towns volunteers the place is a mess. Most of the new paving destroyed by chewing gum - no attempt to remove or educate school kids; numerous park benches that are so grimy that even rough sleepers would have second thoughts about using them; broken glass, dog ****e and vomit everywhere. I wouldn't like to see Ireland's dirtiest town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fat chance as unemployment is rampant in the town and county. Anyway, whatever about CE schemes and the Tidy Towns volunteers the place is a mess. Most of the new paving destroyed by chewing gum - no attempt to remove or educate school kids; numerous park benches that are so grimy that even rough sleepers would have second thoughts about using them; broken glass, dog ****e and vomit everywhere. I wouldn't like to see Ireland's dirtiest town.

The flower pots etc. look nice but as you say,look a bit past them and the mess is unreal.People have no regard for the area they live in and use every day.
    A quick spin around the roads surrounding the town unveils rampant illegal dumping.

And yet Wexford people keep voting the same assholes/parties into council and national elections - I don't get it, at least the assholes that keep voting for Lowry get something in return, Wexford has always been poorly represented but that's the peoples own fault.

More closures slipping under the radar:

Brocante Antiques at the bottom of Slaney Street closed last Saturday:
    https://www.facebook.com/Brocante-Antiques-Collectables-578139919011430/timeline

and the B Natural Health shop on Rafter Street is closing and moving online.

IMG_7049%2B%25282%2529.JPG

Following on from Zerks' post yesterday - here are two images which show just how poorly maintained things are by our worthy council.

IMG_7048%2B%25282%2529.JPG

BENCH.JPG

The seat above, one of four in the immediate vicinity of the bike monument, is in a horrible state. The others are in an identical condition. I ran a tourist business in another life, and at the end of the season all of the outdoor equipment such as seats were removed to our workshops for overhaul for the next season. Why can't are useless council do the same as they have far greater resources at their disposal than I ever had. I have been banging on about this sort of stuff for years and it's enough to make me run in the next local elections but instead I'll be shipping out.

Things must really be bad as one of the local rags has it on its front page this week.

16707311_1379042642160765_73153223823732123_o.jpg?oh=62cdd346b9e22bd837fde9cae9d16b4c&oe=594858B0

Things must really be bad as one of the local rags has it on its front page this week.

16707311_1379042642160765_73153223823732123_o.jpg?oh=62cdd346b9e22bd837fde9cae9d16b4c&oe=594858B0

15.7% vacancy rate which is rising in the town.Has there been any updates on the revamp of Templeshannon?

Just two more items that I notice every day which nobody in the Council seems to be able to deal with.

Missing%2BBollard.JPG

GUM%2B2017.JPG

Councillors receive €1,000,000.00 in expenses is another headline

You go to Spain etc. and they have crews out washing and clearing rubbish from the streets at 6am. By the time everyone is up and about the place is spotless.How hard would it be to implement this in Ireland,although I suppose by the time unions etc give it the okay it would never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

The Councils in most towns seem to have given up on picking litter most especially on approach roads. I am a volunteer with Tidy Towns and have adopted one stretch of road that I pick at least one black sack of litter from once a week - so multiply that by 52 weeks. During my pick I see lots of Council trucks passing me but not sure where they are going. Most of this litter is thrown out of cars/vans as there are no footpaths here and since my wife travels this route to work daily she can tell me its already been relittered less than 24 hours after I have been. Do these litter louts think their litter is going to evapourate ? I think we need to force fast food outlets to use wrapping and cups that disintigrate in a short time, this might help somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Some good news I suppose. From their Facebook page

"Kavanaghs is opening a 4000 square foot new bedding and home interiors shop on castle street, opening soon."

paulaa wrote: »
    Some good news I suppose. From their Facebook page

"Kavanaghs is opening a 4000 square foot new bedding and home interiors shop on castle street, opening soon."

In The Castle presumably?

Well they own half the premises in the town,why not add another.

One small problem on Castle Street.....Parking.

The old Bourke Roches premises I'd say

paulaa wrote: »
    The old Bourke Roches premises I'd say

Ah maybe so. 4000 sq feet is quite substantial though.

Well, he's got plenty of choice as he already owns three substantial premises on Castle Street - two of which have been closed up for years. All the town needs is another outlet for his Chinese goods.

The old shop has a lot of groundspace. Compare it to say Mace in Bellefield which is just over 2000 sq feet .

Well, he's got plenty of choice as he already owns three substantial premises on Castle Street - two of which have been closed up for years. All the town needs is another outlet for his Chinese goods.

I heard he's closing the one on Barrack Street.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    I heard he's closing the one on Barrack Street.

Just heard that too.

Advertisement