Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

There's an article in the Independent about how rural Ireland got ignored during the Celtic Tiger .

Two people from Enniscorthy are interviewed and both criticize the rates being looked for by the town council .

The article might be of interest .

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-celtic-tiger-galloped-past-us-people-in-rural-ireland-share-eyeopening-stories-of-their-struggles-35515556.html

Hope the link works , on my phone.

Doyle's Checkout is having a closing down sale. Sale of premises agreed apparently.

Doyles%2BDuffry.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Apparently the council have big plans for the land around St.Senans hospital,a new technology park is to be built with hundreds of jobs promised.About time we are seeing somebody lay their cards on the table.For years all we got were task forces and empty promises from the IDA and various ministers.
    A regeneration program for the town centre is also in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    Apparently the council have big plans for the land around St.Senans hospital,a new technology park is to be built with hundreds of jobs promised.About time we are seeing somebody lay their cards on the table.For years all we got were task forces and empty promises from the IDA and various ministers.

Two units all but sold with a hundred odd workers each and another in the works apparently.

• Advertisement

Jobs for all, boom time.... ffs - I'll believe it when I see it.

An Siopa Brog last day of closing down sale today - prices slashed!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Doyle's Checkout is having a closing down sale. Sale of premises agreed apparently.

Doyles%2BDuffry.PNG
    apparently new owners are to inject funds for a badly needed renovation of the shop, he was very tight lipped as to who bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Do you have a source? Would be great news if it happens.

ezra_ wrote: »
    Do you have a source? Would be great news if it happens.

It was in one of the local papers, can't remember which one.

A quick survey of the town this morning before I close the shutters and turn up the Stereo.

Not a shred of official bunting for St.Patrick's Day to be seen but several shops had make a token gesture in their windows - incidentally both of the businesses have ceased trading! The only shop with a proper window display is the NCBI charity shop on Main Street.

I also did a quick survey of the shops in the town centre i.e. excluding the former Supervalu Complex, the Shannon Quay and Templeshannon itself.

Out of 149 retail premises I counted 34 vacant - some very long term - which comes to 22.8% vacant. This is worse than the official 15% figure and would be worse still if I had included the three areas mentioned above.

On the way home I was passed by a Ford Transit with plastic billboards and tricolours attached - such is what passes for a float in Enniscorthy's St.Patrick's Day parade. Why not do a proper parade every five years or so instead of this embarrassing nonsense every year? :confused:

Anyway, home and work with music on, shutters closed and I won't emerge again until the rugby tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

went to Wexford town for the parade this morning instead of going into town...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

went to Wexford town for the parade this morning instead of going into town...

and? how was it?

I think the big problem these days is insurance,as usual in this country stuff we used to do without a thought is pretty much banned due to health and safety.
    Floats are a no-no,insurance says we can't use our imagination and have an entertaining parade,a stream of commercial vehicles is deemed to be low risk.
    I never heard of anybody being killed or injured off a float before.
    We headed to the parade in Bunclody this morning,no scenes of young teenagers covering the place in silly string and shaving foam which has happened again in Enniscorthy according to the pictures I saw.

Insurance my backside. Floats seem to work elsewhere in Ireland and here in previous years. It's pure laziness - stick out a few vans/trucks/tractors - shure isn't it good enough and then abandon the town for the evening to feral youths and drunks. It's just the usual 'couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery' attitude in this town. Zero leadership from anybody.

All the local community groups made an effort,can't expect too much from a small rural town.
    Could stick a few buntings or flags on some of the trucks as a minimum though in fairness.

Population about 12,000 isn't that small. As I say, why not only have the parade once every 4-5 years and do it properly? The thing has become a habit and people drag their kids along to it because they were dragged along to it in their day - bit like mass. The kids are bored (not to mention the parents) - or is that just my family experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Never mind the bunting.

I'll not be bringing my 3 and 4 year old kids to the Enniscorthy parade again for quite a while. I've no desire for my family to be covered in a mixture of shaving foam and green stringy ****e in the equivalent of a war zone that the middle of town was today.

Great to see the pound euro shop opposite sports savers made the most of it though, they couldn't get in quick enough to spend in the shop with a cue almost out the door, congrats to them!

And fair play to the guards who stood with arms folded while children were being sprayed in the face and bumped and bounced left right and centre by teenagers who had free reign for the day.

And they reckon the problem with Patrick's day is alcohol, not in Enniscorthy today it wasn't that's for sure.

^^^^ The night is still young and I fully expect to see plenty of extras from the "Walking Dead" prowling the streets in the wee small hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Was at Wexford parade today seem quieter then normal,easy parking, but still lack of floats, just scouts, Gaa, clubs etc.. and a lot of self advertising,
    one bloke blowing flames out of his mouth was the only entertainment, did warm as up abit though.

Company vans and trucks should be required to make some sort of an effort more than ten minutes with a power washer if they want to participate. Looks mane and goes against the purpose of the thing.

• Advertisement

A major backlash on local Facebook pages over the conduct of teenagers running wild around the town yesterday, of course there was always one saying "weren't we all young once", the replies were along the lines of " we never carried on like wild animals charging around the town,our parents would kill us".

A major backlash on local Facebook pages over the conduct of teenagers running wild around the town yesterday, of course there was always one saying "weren't we all young once", the replies were along the lines of " we never carried on like wild animals charging around the town,our parents would kill us".

The one's giving out on facebook are probably the parents of the ruffians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Idle curiosity...

That house on the left hand side of Castle Hill that's been for sale ages.
    What's the story with it not shifting? From an outsider's perspective it's a solid looking historic building with a decent whack of space, a set of usable outbuildings, a yard, and at affordable money. Even assuming there's the extra cost of doing anything on a listed building, it looks like good value. What am I missing, beyond the general malaise in the town, and the niche appeal of old piles?

http://www.daft.ie/wexford/houses-for-sale/enniscorthy/st-anthonys-castle-hill-enniscorthy-wexford-1147460/

alastair wrote: »
    Idle curiosity...

What's the story with it not shifting? From an outsider's perspective it's a solid looking historic building with a decent whack of space, a set of usable outbuildings, a yard, and at affordable money. Even assuming there's the extra cost of doing anything on a listed building, it looks like good value. What am I missing, beyond the general malaise in the town, and the niche appeal of old piles?

http://www.daft.ie/wexford/houses-for-sale/enniscorthy/st-anthonys-castle-hill-enniscorthy-wexford-1147460/

It just looks so dated,most people seem to want generic 3 bed semis in town,there's another beside the old St.Senans graveyard that has history and character which isn't selling.

It just looks so dated,most people seem to want generic 3 bed semis in town,there's another beside the old St.Senans graveyard that has history and character which isn't selling.

That one near Bill Hendricks was once a nice house, but the traffic outside it is crazy.

alastair wrote: »
    Idle curiosity...

Three story properties have an arkward layout. If you have living quarters on the ground floor you have a load of bedroom space,or divide the living quarters between ground and first floor you're left with tight bedrooms.

As an aside practically nobody lives in the town centre,completely empty above almost every shop unit.

Plus it's probably ready to fall down like a lot of other properties in town. External appearances can be very deceptive.

kneemos wrote: »
    Three story properties have an arkward layout. If you have living quarters on the ground floor you have a load of bedroom space,or divide the living quarters between ground and first floor you're left with tight bedrooms.

As an aside practically nobody lives in the town centre,completely empty above almost every shop unit.

Weafer St aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Weafer St aside.

I live in the town centre.

I wish I didn't.

Someone mentioned war on local Facebook pages over the carry on yesterday which pages are these?

• Advertisement

I live in the town centre.

I wish I didn't.

Someone mentioned war on local Facebook pages over the carry on yesterday which pages are these?

I don't know, not on facebook.

Advertisement