Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I live in the town centre.

I wish I didn't.

Someone mentioned war on local Facebook pages over the carry on yesterday which pages are these?

I mentioned them,the missus came across it and read some of the comments out.I don't do facebook myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Town is fierce dead as of late.

Town is fierce dead as of late.

Nothing in it to attract people. Over the last fortnight I can count on one hand the places in town I went to.A haircut,paid the bills and the other 2 were Lidl and Aldi.The town centre has nothing I need and any time I headed that direction I was met by traffic gridlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 essmbee

The old Dunnes Stores building on Rafter Street has finally gone up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

essmbee wrote: »
    The old Dunnes Stores building on Rafter Street has finally gone up for sale.

Really? About fcuking time, DS are a disgraceful. Paddy Kavanagh announced years ago that Iceland was going in there but it never happened.

I'd say that building needs to be completely knocked and rebuilt, it was falling down 15 years ago, so I can't imagine what state it is in now.

• Advertisement

Really? About fcuking time, DS are a disgraceful. Paddy Kavanagh announced years ago that Iceland was going in there but it never happened.

I'd say that building needs to be completely knocked and rebuilt, it was falling down 15 years ago, so I can't imagine what state it is in now.

I think a decision higher up than the town council was made regarding Dunne's holding streets to ransom in towns across Ireland by keeping large vacant premises.Arklow,Enniscorthy, Wexford are just 3 examples of a national problem with them.
    About time we saw the building being let out of their greedy grasp.

zerks wrote: »
    I think a decision higher up than the town council was made regarding Dunne's holding streets to ransom in towns across Ireland by keeping large vacant premises.Arklow,Enniscorthy, Wexford are just 3 examples of a national problem with them.
    About time we saw the building being let out of their greedy grasp.

I hope that they were fined and fines collected for dereliction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Even if the old Dunnes premises is for sale, who in their right mind would buy it? Even the media - Matt Cooper on Today FM - had the plight of retail caused by the nonsense of commercial rates aired yesterday. Rates need to be related to turnover not floor space/location.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Old Dunne Stores is up for rent at €7,000 per month.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »

That letting for dunnes has been up for ages.

Navarre wrote: »
    Old Dunne Stores is up for rent at €7,000 per month.

Won't be hard to keep it empty if they have a mind to.

A certain property owner in town was wanting €2000 a month for a shop space that would be barely bigger than the canteen in Dunne's.

Won't be hard to keep it empty if they have a mind to.

Ah if Tesco or Iceland wanted to move in 7k a month is fairly doable. I think Marius in the square is under new management as well.

Ah if Tesco or Iceland wanted to move in 7k a month is fairly doable. I think Marius in the square is under new management as well.

True, but would Dunnes allow them in? And how much would be required to be spent to get it up to any kind of standard?

I'd love to see and English style market being set up there, not sure how economically feasible it would be, but surely it is worth exploring.

True, but would Dunnes allow them in? And how much would be required to be spent to get it up to any kind of standard?

I'd love to see and English style market being set up there, not sure how economically feasible it would be, but surely it is worth exploring.

Great idea, but this is Enniscorthy and vested interests plus the Council and you can forget it.

lets all wait and see what the outcome from tonight's meeting is.

lets all wait and see what the outcome from tonight's meeting is.

County council or is the municipal only guys?

County council or is the municipal only guys?

i just added a link to my post sorry, have a look now.

• Advertisement

i just added a link to my post sorry, have a look now.

I saw that in The Echo alright. Can't see much happening; it'll be the usual lads. New blood and ideas are needed.

I also see that the old cinema area is up for sale, where the Chamber offices are, though not the actual cinema.

Surely it's not up to them anymore? I thought the post earlier said the council aren't letting them keep it empty anymore.

I saw that in The Echo alright. Can't see much happening; it'll be the usual lads. New blood and ideas are needed.

I also see that the old cinema area is up for sale, where the Chamber offices are, though not the actual cinema.

Any updates on the revamp of Templeshannon? It was put in the hands of Arup but we've heard nothing since the public consultations.I thought the idea was to have it ready to coincide with the opening of the bypass-at least we are seeing progress with that.
    Nothing started on the flood defences either despite money being available,the overhaul of the main drainage scheme has gone quiet too.

zerks wrote: »
    Any updates on the revamp of Templeshannon? It was put in the hands of Arup but we've heard nothing since the public consultations.I thought the idea was to have it ready to coincide with the opening of the bypass-at least we are seeing progress with that.
    Nothing started on the flood defences either despite money being available,the overhaul of the main drainage scheme has gone quiet too.

Wasn't that flood defence supposed to be finished by next year? They haven't even started it yet. But I do believe they're knocking down the seamus Rafter bridge so they probably need to wait until the bypass is open before that.

Dunnes is up for sale apparently alright. Noticed they have a for sale or let sign stuck up. http://www.southeastradio.ie/2017/03/old-dunnes-in-enniscorthy-to-go-under-the-hammer/

Dunnes is up for sale apparently alright. Noticed they have a for sale or let sign stuck up. http://www.southeastradio.ie/2017/03/old-dunnes-in-enniscorthy-to-go-under-the-hammer/

About time. Dunnes trying to control the town by refusing competition was scandalous. Something like a Penny's or TK Maxx would be great. Not another supermarket though, with Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes & Supervalu there's enough. There's not one reasonably priced clothes shop in the whole town.

About time. Dunnes trying to control the town by refusing competition was scandalous. Something like a Penny's or TK Maxx would be great. Not another supermarket though, with Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes & Supervalu there's enough. There's not one reasonably priced clothes shop in the whole town.

Really depends on how much Dunnes want for it, they might just be awkward and price it so high to make it unsellable; and even if it is sold, I reckon massive money is needed to get it up to speed for any modern store; plus the delivery area at the back in the carpark will need to be sorted, and you can bet Arro will have something to say on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

ninja 12 wrote: »
    There's an article in the Independent about how rural Ireland got ignored during the Celtic Tiger .

Two people from Enniscorthy are interviewed and both criticize the rates
    being looked for by the town council .

The article might be of interest .

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-celtic-tiger-galloped-past-us-people-in-rural-ireland-share-eyeopening-stories-of-their-struggles-35515556.html

Hope the link works , on my phone.

Hopefully things will change regarding Rates in town

I doubt those changes will make a jot of difference to Enniscorthy. Rates need to linked to turnover/profits not floor space. Sound of shutting door after horse has long bolted.

• Advertisement

This was discussed on The Last Word in the week.The show was inundated with texts from business owners who said that the first bill in the door was a massive bill for rates.They were already up the creek financially before they even started trading.Matt asked one what they got back from paying rates,the answer was "a few potholes on the road outside get filled now and again and that's it." Hardly a big return for a massive financial outlay.

Advertisement