Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Incidentally, if you wish to rent a shop that has an unpaid rates bill the Council expect you to pay the arrears - you couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 essmbee

€200,000 is the asking price......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

essmbee wrote: »
    €200,000 is the asking price......

Must be derelict.

Must be swimming in money if they can leave assets like that go to ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 essmbee

€200,00 for the building that the Enniscorthy Chamber of Commerce is in

essmbee wrote: »
    €200,00 for the building that the Enniscorthy Chamber of Commerce is in

Ah right,thought it was Dunnes. Is that one floor or two?

• Advertisement

Seems Dunnes were hit with a rates bill for their ****load of empty stores around the country.

http://m.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/dunnes-stores-hit-with-60000-in-rates-bills-by-county-council-35004603.html

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

kneemos wrote: »
    Seems Dunnes were hit with a rates bill for their ****load of empty stores around the country.

http://m.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/dunnes-stores-hit-with-60000-in-rates-bills-by-county-council-35004603.html

Saw that but didn't post in case it was already. Article was Sept. last. But it's about time the council were stepping in and doing something. Unfortunately 30k a year is a small price to keep out competition.

I'm thinking actually maybe it's not so small a price. Dunnes these days is practically empty, I mean upstairs is ridiculous I went up there the other day for the first time since Christmas to get some cookie cutters & it was literally empty. I wonder how viable it is to keep the store open in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Saw that but didn't post in case it was already. Article was Sept. last. But it's about time the council were stepping in and doing something. Unfortunately 30k a year is a small price to keep out competition.

I'm thinking actually maybe it's not so small a price. Dunnes these days is practically empty, I mean upstairs is ridiculous I went up there the other day for the first time since Christmas to get some cookie cutters & it was literally empty. I wonder how viable it is to keep the store open in that state.

Clothes are so expensive in there; cheaper to go to Modern Fashion or God forbid, Eric Barron.

Clothes are so expensive in there; cheaper to go to Modern Fashion or God forbid, Eric Barron.

It's cheaper to go to Wexford mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's cheaper to go to Wexford mate.

And you'd actually be in Wexford in the same time it takes to drive from the top of Enniscorthy to Templeshannon.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    And you'd actually be in Wexford in the same time it takes to drive from the top of Enniscorthy to Templeshannon.

I remember going past one of the clothes shops here and in the window "men's jumper One for €90 two for €120"

WHAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

"men's jumper One for €90 two for €120"

WHAT.
    Sounds like a pretty good offer to me.

davef1000 wrote: »

Sounds like he had a massive markup on the first one.

kneemos wrote: »
    Sounds like he had a massive markup on the first one.

There's usually a high markup on clothes.

I don't believe it - somebody in the Council must be reading Boards.

The bollard that I referred to here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102659540&postcount=3889 has at last been replaced with one from somewhere else. I note that this job along with that of moving of a public bin on Slaney Street must have been carried out by the same crew - real rough jobs but nothing that a man on a galloping horse would notice. :rolleyes:

davef1000 wrote: »

I'm glad you can look at two jumpers for €120 and think yes that is a nice offer. But personally I'd rather eat soil.

Look, I haven't seen the jumpers so I've no idea what they look like. And frankly I don't care. But 'buy one, get one 2/3rds off' is a good deal. Don't buy them if you don't want them.

Murt Walsh and Modern Fashions I occasionally see people coming or going,but the rest of the clothes shops I have literally never or hardly ever seen anyone enter or leave. Can't be more than a hobby for most of them.

The Prom is eventually getting a new playground,they may surround it with razor wire to keep vandals out though.

zerks wrote: »
    The Prom is eventually getting a new playground,they may surround it with razor wire to keep vandals out though.

Or they could just try maintaining it on a daily/weekly basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Del.Monte wrote: »

Ha, funny man.

Del.Monte wrote: »

True but this town is one of the only places I've seen playgrounds vandalised so regularly.

Florist on Slaney Street has opted to go online only and close their shop. I wonder how many more shops will opt to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Florist on Slaney Street has opted to go online only and close their shop. I wonder how many more shops will opt to do the same

I've never seen anyone in there, Slaney St has nothing only Malocca's and O' Learys, and the couple of pubs at the bottom. The place beside O' Learys is disgraceful.

I've never seen anyone in there, Slaney St has nothing only Malocca's and O' Learys, and the couple of pubs at the bottom. The place beside O' Learys is disgraceful.

Jewellers,Barbers,Charity Shop,Crystal Script,Chemist,Take Away. The new Barbers is open on Sunday's apparently according to the times on their door.

They were only open a few months and they took their sign down after a couple of weeks. Until commercial rates are totally rethought this is the future. The ****ing rates are like a fine for having the cheek to open a business. :mad:

It's the council rates causing shops to close.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I am just after been told that sports savers was emptied out this evening.

Navarre wrote: »
    I am just after been told that sports savers was emptied out this evening.

Haven't seen anyone in there in ages,was wondering how long they would last.

How much we talking for rates for one of those small shops,hundreds rather than thousands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Even if the rates problem was fixed in the morning, you still need customers... that's the single most important thing.

The town is terminally, all it really is at this stage is a glorified bread and milk stop. Heatons, Penneys, Tesco... if I were in charge of any sort of mainstream store I'd run a mile from Enniscorthy... it's dead on so many levels.

Advertisement