Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Even if the rates problem was fixed in the morning, you still need customers... that's the single most important thing.

The town is terminally, all it really is at this stage is a glorified bread and milk stop. Heatons, Penneys, Tesco... if I were in charge of any sort of mainstream store I'd run a mile from Enniscorthy... it's dead on so many levels.

Years of protectionism by existing businesses who prevented development and are now reaping what they sowed by seeing shoppers drive past them on the way to Wexford,Carlow etc. to spend their money.Dundrum is only an hour up the road with the motorway and will be even less in 2 years.
    If I want something in Argos I find I head to other shops in Wexford while I'm there to pick up stuff I can't get in Enniscorthy, many more are the same.
    Is it too late to see a flagship store open? The shopping mall in Market Square became a victim of the recession but the developer is back in business so maybe we'll see something there.Experts said we should have Abbey Square developed instead of an out of town retail area,in Enniscorthy that means we will probably never see it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Navarre wrote: »
    I am just after been told that sports savers was emptied out this evening.

They closed down in Wexford too so it's not just here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Closed in Waterford a couple of months ago. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057697468/1

Anything they sold could be got online for half the price anyway.

kneemos wrote: »
    Closed in Waterford a couple of months ago. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057697468/1

As with any other shop... but I'd still rather spend a little extra where I can and support local jobs etc. But not in Enniscorthy. They can all go way to fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

zerks wrote: »
    .Dundrum is only an hour up the road with the motorway and will be even less in 2 years

That's my newest haunt... been up there 4 times since Christmas and am thinking about heading up tomorrow too. Dead handy to get to and last time we were up there we stopped in Gorey on the way home to watch a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

As with any other shop... but I'd still rather spend a little extra where I can and support local jobs etc. But not in Enniscorthy. They can all go way to fcuk.

Not there, the ****ers that own it,wouldn't give them a shilling. Shysters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oh they'll be back in a different unit in a while, always happens with these dudes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

If you want a healthy local shopping arrangement then people have to get past this line of thinking. Yes, internet shopping is cheaper - but the entire cost base of running a website is a fraction of what it takes to run a bricks and mortar shop. Very hard for local shops to compete with that. For some of the hardships I've had with internet shopping, a lot can be said for being able to try out stuff and hassle free returns.

I tend not to moan too much about the lack of shopping in Enniscorthy. Yes, I travel further afield and yes, I shop online. People like me are one of the reasons that customers in bricks and mortar shops are on the decline.

There's a whole host of reasons that Enniscorthy is dead in the water. Coupled with a lot of the stuff that's already be mentioned, personally I think that the economy, raising taxes and a general lack of major employers in the area is also a significant factor at it reduces spending power and causes people to be more thrifty with their money. Take a bad situation like Enniscorthy and this just compounds the situation.

Regarding Sports Savers - I thought they ran a decent business - staff were friendly and helpful, prices were decent and they always ran good promotions. The Enniscorthy store didn't carry as good a range of stock as the Wexford store, but that's understandable given the sh1tty market base in Enniscorthy. I shopped there quite often and will be sad to see them go.

If you think that SportsSavers could ever compete with Mike Ashley and SportsDirect then... well, that's another can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 essmbee

Have to take a 25km round trip to wexford tomorrow because I cannot get canary seed in Petopia in Enniscorthy and the other pet shop where I got it from closed down a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

essmbee wrote: »
    Have to take a 25km round trip to wexford tomorrow because I cannot get canary seed in Petopia in Enniscorthy and the other pet shop where I got it from closed down a few weeks ago.

why don't you try the pet shop called Pet Corner on Duffry Hill beside Enniscorthy cabs or Pet Corner Market Square in Bunclody.
    https://www.facebook.com/petcorner.bunclody/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 essmbee

Thanks for that, did not know there was a pet shop on the Duffry, will go there in the morning

essmbee wrote: »
    Thanks for that, did not know there was a pet shop on the Duffry, will go there in the morning

yep its been there now for a few months. I buy my 15kg bags of Dog Nutts there. The only place i can get the right Protein dog for my working dogs. Nice people to deal with. There is also a pet grooming parlour there for dogs and cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I bought the odd thing in Sportsavers down the years and it always seemed quite busy. It's another serious loss to what's left of the town's retail sector in my opinion.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh they'll be back in a different unit in a while, always happens with these dudes

One in Wexford town is still open, was there today

I like how there's not a single photo of the inside.

I like how there's not a single photo of the inside.

The old L+N is going for almost twice the price,albeit 50% bigger,but in a less central location. http://www.sherryfitz.ie/commercial/18466

The old L+N is going for almost twice the price,albeit 50% bigger,but in a less central location. http://www.sherryfitz.ie/commercial/18466

Who'd want it to be fair.. unless someone like Penny's planned to buy it and just turn the whole thing into a massive store. Or as an investment opportunity what with the units being rented there

It would make a great charity shop - perhaps the Vincent de Paul will add it to their property portfolio. :rolleyes:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It would make a great charity shop - perhaps the Vincent de Paul will add it to their property portfolio. :rolleyes:

We are short on hairdressers, bookies or chippers in town too, maybe someone might open one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

M & M Meats opening at 12 Rafter Street on 6 April

lazer.blue wrote: »
    M & M Meats opening at 12 Rafter Street on 6 April

Is it this click and collect interweb dealio https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/en/our-food

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is it this click and collect interweb dealio https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/en/our-food

I was told it's two lads that worked in Doyle's butchers opening it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I was told it's two lads that worked in Doyle's butchers opening it.

Yes Mark Hunt & Mick Crofts. Great to see good people giving it a go like this

lazer.blue wrote: »
    Yes Mark Hunt & Mick Crofts. Great to see good people giving it a go like this

I'd say they'll get a good lot of Doyle's old customers going to them now. I hope they do well.

Is this new butchers opening up at Martin Doyles butchers premises ???

Is this new butchers opening up at Martin Doyles butchers premises ???

No, down the street where Cloze and Shoes used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Former employee of Doyles opening the new butchers afaik.

is Martin Doyles shop for sale or for lease does anyone know

• Advertisement

is Martin Doyles shop for sale or for lease does anyone know

Both as far as I know.

Advertisement