Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I visit the town regularly but usually as a day trip, decided to stay over this weekend and whether it was the Easter Weekend or what, there seemed to be no recession in any of the pubs we visited ! Really enjoyed the Alba restaurant and Hayes pub, would liked to have gone into Stamps but it was packed solid when we tried. Went into a couple of others but nothing special, can anyone recommend a nice comfortable pub for 50 somethings please for our next visit ?

Stamps, but don't take my spot at the bar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That house on Castle Hill we were discussing before is marked as sold on the sign outside of it.

I see the fella who robbed yer man at knifepoint made the front page of the Echo.Nice mugshot of him,on bail,refused to meet the terms of his bail and then robs a guy at knifepoint.

Passed through the Market Square a few minutes ago and group of teenage girls were tossing the 1916 wreath about and acting the maggot. Given their sex and age I made do with giving them a hard stare but they seemed oblivious. Given my politics I decided to walk on by especially as nobody else seemed inclined to check their disrespectful behaviour.

Despite being of the Unionist persuasion I have complained to our worthy elected representatives a number of times down the years about the poor condition of the 1798 memorials in Enniscorthy and New Ross. At least the one in the Square now looks better than it has for years except where the some fool threw something greasy over it. :mad:

Just goes to show the mentality and respect that some teens show these days.Over the years I've never seen anybody so much as lay a finger on the wreaths but these days youngsters barely remember what happened last month let alone important events in history. Showing respect would be fairly low on their list of priorities.

• Advertisement

Ward and Burke named as the main contractor for the upgrade of the towns main drainage systems.Over €16 million allocated to the project.
    There'll be fun with traffic when they start digging up the prom etc.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »
    Ward and Burke named as the main contractor for the upgrade of the towns main drainage systems.Over €16 million allocated to the project.
    There'll be fun with traffic when they start digging up the prom etc.

I wonder will they hire local people. ??

New Vape shop opening on Rafter Street - badly needed. :rolleyes:

The old Sportsavers premises having a facelift, but whether this is for a new tenant or to tempt one....

Here's a question - location, location, location - please. Somewhere around the town?

underground---face-aux-nazis_307364_4755.jpg

I know its from the Underground but are you 100% sure that image is a location in town as the film was partly shot in town and them scenes were Wexford rd past Rock Factory, a chase scene down the prom which ended somewhere else and over in Railyway station,

• Advertisement

I'm not sure, as you say the scenes were all over the place and then stuck together. Even the Guinness Brewery featured. I was thinking of starting a thread just on "Underground" and a second on the "The Violent Enemy" as I'm researching both. I would like to talk to anybody who has photographs of the filming or got a job as an extra on either movie.

I remember someone told me that Chris Courtney of Courtney print put up Photos of 1 of them films on FB page a while ago. I also remember that 1 of the Atheneum restoration committees held a screening of the underground in Bellfield a few years back also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Here's a question - location, location, location - please. Somewhere around the town?

underground---face-aux-nazis_307364_4755.jpg

Is that near the Folly, where the blacksmiths used to be ?
    I'm probably completely wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

paulaa wrote: »

Has the look of it.

paulaa wrote: »

Thanks, I'll take the photograph and go for a walk up there. :)

Its some sort of a grain shed in the photo you can see an auger/screw out thru the top of the window.

Navarre wrote: »
    I wonder will they hire local people. ??

I worked on a similar upgrade scheme in the past,only a couple of locals were hired,that's usually the way unfortunately. These contractors have their own men and hire very little locally.

Mr.Sales at the bottom of Slaney Street 'appears' to be having a closing down sale. His entire stock was dumped out on the pavement today and the owner (?) was sitting inside - a source of interest to local school kids. Surely in the history of bizarre shops in town this takes the proverbial biscuit? https://mrsales.ie

5aLjhpC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Mr.Sales at the bottom of Slaney Street 'appears' to be having a closing down sale. His entire stock was dumped out on the pavement today and the owner (?) was sitting inside - a source of interest to local school kids. Surely in the history of bizarre shops in town this takes the proverbial biscuit? https://mrsales.ie

5aLjhpC.png

Some useless junk (stock) sitting on the footpath as I was passing

was it not oil paintings that someone was selling at that shop Mr sales today.

• Advertisement

was it not oil paintings that someone was selling at that shop Mr sales today.

There were some canvases there, but calling them paintings would be pushing things a bit. :D

There were some canvases there, but calling them paintings would be pushing things a bit. :D

Would €150 for the Lone Ranger not be a fair price? Lol.
    I thought they were done by the local primary school kids.

does anyone know who painted them.

does anyone know who painted them.

Possibly the proprietor himself or Cooper the dog - still available. :D

cooper-the-dog_1.jpg?resize=200,200&resize=180,180

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Kill the dog,they'll triple in value.

Clearstream/Bard has new owners,already over 400 employed there so hopefully we will see expansion rather than the scary alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Saucy Butcher is opening up in Enniscorthy beside Gala on the Duffery​.

Excellent meat in their Wexford shop in Clonard so I'm delighted they are coming to town.

Posted this in the M11 thread in Roads.This is out past the Moyne.

0Us.jpg

• Advertisement

New vaping shop open on Island Road.

Storm Hair Salon has reopened on Weafer St.

Advertisement