Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

So... our Parisian Boulevard... it starts it life as a pedestrianised street, but now its some sort of hybrid. Here's what I don't get -

You have cars parked where traditionally you'd expect a path. From what I can gather, this doesn't appear to be illegal? So, as a pedestrian, I'm now forced to walk down the middle of the street where I stand the chance of being run down by oncoming cars.

In terms of how this street should function, I'm assuming Wild West laws apply until something bad happens.

I really do wonder what sort of liability local authorities will assume if someone forced to walk in the middle of the street gets clipped by a car here someday.

vgk2us.jpg

dethj7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jpb1974 wrote: »
    So... our Parisian Boulevard... it starts it life as a pedestrianised street, but now its some sort of hybrid. Here's what I don't get -

You have cars parked where traditionally you'd expect a path. From what I can gather, this doesn't appear to be illegal? So, as a pedestrian, I'm now forced to walk down the middle of the street where I stand the chance of being run down by oncoming cars.

In terms of how this street should function, I'm assuming Wild West laws apply until something bad happens.

I really do wonder what sort of liability local authorities will assume if someone forced to walk in the middle of the street gets clipped by a car here someday.

vgk2us.jpg

dethj7.jpg

No traffic warden about.

Irrespective of the parking, from a pedestrian perspective there seems to be no clearly defined path/road. It appears I can walk down any part of this street, but have to get out of the way of cars if they come. The day a kid doesn't figure that out, then there'll be tears.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Irrespective of the parking, from a pedestrian perspective there seems to be no clearly defined path/road. It appears I can walk down any part of this street, but have to get out of the way of cars if they come. The day a kid doesn't figure that out, then there'll be tears.

A barrier for Dunnes allyway wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They pedestrianised the street despite the concerns of local businesses on it.Viola,business dropped as it was common for people to drive on the street,pull in and grab their few bits and bobs. Suddenly that stopped."There's a car park just up the lane" said the council. The thing is people wanted to do as they always did and stop on the street so now we have a bastardised version of what was there before as the council opened it to traffic again and it's nuts,especially when people can't seem to park straight.
    Bad planning and bad decisions followed by more seems to be the modus operandi of Enniscorthy Councillors. It would be funny if it wasn't our money they are wasting.

• Advertisement

It sums up to a tee how this town is managed. A bunch of clueless morons running the place into the ground.

zerks wrote: »
    bastardised

Perfectly described

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

I see the 1798 centre is to close after this summer, with it being sold to a private investor, who apparently will open a distillery in it.

I see the 1798 centre is to close after this summer, with it being sold to a private investor, who apparently will open a distillery in it.

Glanced the headline in the paper,thought it was April first.

Gone run down looking anyway,maybe just as well if it's only open for a few months.
    Bit of a strange location for an industrial unit though,particularly the sweet smells of a brewery.

kneemos wrote: »
    Glanced the headline in the paper,thought it was April first.

Gone run down looking anyway,maybe just as well if it's only open for a few months.
    Bit of a strange location for an industrial unit though,particularly the sweet smells of a brewery.

It's actually a good idea,a barely used building being given a new lease of life.I wonder if we'll see a 1798 Whiskey?
    We could see both the museum and distillery merge as a visitor attraction which is open year round.

Isn't the new bridge crossing going to hit the junction there?

• Advertisement

It's actually a good idea,a barely used building being given a new lease of life.I wonder if we'll see a 1798 Whiskey?
    We could see both the museum and distillery merge as a visitor attraction which is open year round.

Isn't the new bridge crossing going to hit the junction there?

Isn't Monart House associated with the Jameson family - definitely an opportunity to combine something historical with something new.

On a different note; saw some Wexford gin available in Dublin airport recently - strawberry was one flavour..

Isn't Monart House associated with the Jameson family - definitely an opportunity to combine something historical with something new.

The Reynaers factory stands on the site of the old distillery out there.Hence the are being called "The Still".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So 1798 is no longer of any interest? There's loads of surplus brewery/distillery type buildings in town - Lett's and elsewhere. A lot of Lett's brewery which is signposted for tourists is about to fall down.

Look at this: http://www.southeastradio.ie/2017/05/1798-centre-in-enniscorthy-to-close-after-nearly-20-years/

According to local councillor Paddy Kavanagh an ongoing exhibition relating to 1798 will continue in either Enniscorthy Castle, the Castle Ballroom or the Athenaeum.

You couldn't make it up. :rolleyes:

Great to see the town's tourism going from strength to strength. http://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/jacqui-hynes-steps-down-from-1798-centre-30734033.html

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Look at this: http://www.southeastradio.ie/2017/05/1798-centre-in-enniscorthy-to-close-after-nearly-20-years/

According to local councillor Paddy Kavanagh an ongoing exhibition relating to 1798 will continue in either Enniscorthy Castle, the Castle Ballroom or the Athenaeum.

You couldn't make it up. :rolleyes:

Great to see the town's tourism going from strength to strength. http://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/jacqui-hynes-steps-down-from-1798-centre-30734033.html

Ireland's Ancient East me hole,it's as if they are trying to do the opposite in Enniscorthy. There's the world of opportunity in the town but like the Rafter St. fiasco the powers that be tend to balls it up.
    I was seriously underwhelmed by the Atheneum revamp,a few pictures of dances from the 60's and that was it.

Why don't they do a Heritage Park type set up near Vinegar Hill for a 1798 experience and have a whole interactive set up on site and visitors can ramble up the hill at their leisure.

I wonder who the local businessman is that bought the centre? I didn't even know it was on the market........although a few places were snapped up in the last while by the those "in the know".;)

I certainly didn't see the 1798 Centre advertised for sale, but you can bet that the buyer had connections. Another scandal. As for developing Vinegar Hill - how about a wind farm?

Two more filming locations that I need help with - both from "The Violent Enemy".

The garage is really puzzling me - I'm sure I know it but ...?

The factory may not be in County Wexford at all - possibly near Bray (a lot of interior stuff was done at Ardmore Studios).

Any help gratefully received and thanks in advance. :)

Garage%2B1.jpg

FACTORY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Two more filming locations that I need help with - both from "The Violent Enemy".

The garage is really puzzling me - I'm sure I know it but ...?

The factory may not be in County Wexford at all - possibly near Bray (a lot of interior stuff was done at Ardmore Studios).

Any help gratefully received and thanks in advance. :)

Garage%2B1.jpg

FACTORY.jpg

Is that bottom one as you go from New Ross to Waterford I think it was a fertiliser factory? I am not sure but the roof shape just reminded me of that.

EDIT: I think that place in New Ross had an asbestos roof so probably not it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pinkfoot1

daraghwal wrote: »
    Is that bottom one as you go from New Ross to Waterford I think it was a fertiliser factory? I am not sure but the roof shape just reminded me of that.

EDIT: I think that place in New Ross had an asbestos roof so probably not it.

The two top pictures are of the garage at The Scalp on the Enniskerry side of what used to be known as "Pat Quinn's Club" where the Ski Club of Ireland has their slopes.

Pinkfoot1 wrote: »
    The two top pictures are of the garage at The Scalp on the Enniskerry side of what used to be known as "Pat Quinn's Club" where the Ski Club of Ireland has their slopes.

Thank you, thank you! :)

Now I know why I thought I knew the place well. I had that road through The Scalp burnt into my memory during the 1970s when I would have travelled it frequently. Pat Quinn's was in its original incarnation back then - the shortlived "Oppermann Country Club" which opened in 1972 and closed a year later.

The filling station has changed little in the two views (from the movie making circa winter 1966) and the Google Street View. The pumps are in the same spot and even the old street lantern is still in situ.

Filling%2BStation%2B-%2BCopy.PNG

• Advertisement

From the latest issue of the freesheet rag that is "Slaney News" - mouthpiece for the business community clique and council.

In the same week that the same Council Chairman Paddy Kavanagh announced the closure of the 1798 Centre - you couldn't make it up.

Wonder who paid for the Gala Banquet?

FINAL%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

From the latest issue of the freesheet rag that is "Slaney News" - mouthpiece for the business community clique and council.

In the same week that the same Council Chairman Paddy Kavanagh announced the closure of the 1798 Centre - you couldn't make it up.

Wonder who paid for the Gala Banquet?

FINAL%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

Maria Nolan, the self appointed queen of the town.

Maria Nolan, the self appointed queen of the town.

Something wrong with the latest issue of that paper,we didn't have the obligatory half a dozen pictures of her in it.

Something wrong with the latest issue of that paper,we didn't have the obligatory half a dozen pictures of her in it.

She does appear to write the whole damn thing. I wonder how they will spin Paddy Kavanagh's announcement of the 1798 Centre closure in the next issue.

What about this nonsense? Look at the date on it!

Gorey%2BEcho.PNG

Between Boards and the various Facebook pages it appears that everybody has given up on Enniscorthy, leaving the Council and their faceless minions to do as they please.

^^^

Charity Shop

I'm hearing a lot of reports about the al fresco drinking club lately.The younger members are giving grief to women passing them.The older lads are harmless enough and pretty polite actually but there's a new cohort there who have zero respect for women walking by even if they have kids with them. The Garda station is a 2 minute walk away yet we never see a cop over challenging them or confiscating their drink.
    I guarantee you that if I or any other law abiding citizen carried on the same way even once we'd be in the back of a squad car.

I'm hearing a lot of reports about the al fresco drinking club lately.The younger members are giving grief to women passing them.The older lads are harmless enough and pretty polite actually but there's a new cohort there who have zero respect for women walking by even if they have kids with them. The Garda station is a 2 minute walk away yet we never see a cop over challenging them or confiscating their drink.
    I guarantee you that if I or any other law abiding citizen carried on the same way even once we'd be in the back of a squad car.

There is a worrying lack of presence of Bobbies on the beat around the town.
    Rumour has it that they're are hanging out on the Esmonde Road these days carrying out random breath tests.

If they really want to go for the easy money, then there's enough illegal parking out there to pay for several salaries. A walk down Rafter Street on Sunday morning could kop them about €500 for 10 minutes work.

The new recruits were sent on the beat for a week or two and that was it.A bye law was passed to stop public drinking but I think that was more to force people into the pubs during the strawberry fair.I'd like to see that being enforced to stop these lads annoying people.
    They were threatening a young lad on the CE scheme about a fortnight ago because the lawnmower he was using was too loud and disturbing them enjoying their cheap cans at 10.30 am on a Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I have been told that some man/lad was there on last Friday morning selling cheap spirts and beer on the pigmarket hill at 9am.

Advertisement