Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

TheChevron wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

Its was probably said because its true. The place is a money pit and is being opened once again by people with no experience in the business. Being opened in a recession, going up against far superior competion and being opened once again under the weight of heavy debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

I wouldnt necessairly say the Donohoe family have no experience in the licensed trade. Just look at the success story they presided over on duffry hill for some years.
    Also Mick runs one of the more successful electrical contracting business's in the county at a time when most are shutting up shop.

Im not saying the place is going to be packed and some valid points are bening made but as usual Boards.ie seems to be a haven for negativity.

Cue the responses...."were just being realistic".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

sundula wrote: »
    Its was probably said because its true. The place is a money pit and is being opened once again by people with no experience in the business. Being opened in a recession, going up against far superior competion and being opened once again under the weight of heavy debt.
    As my hero Ben Dunne says on his brilliant radio ads: "a lot of new businesses start in recession".

He knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I wouldnt necessairly say the Donohoe family have no experience in the licensed trade. Just look at the success story they presided over on duffry hill for some years.
    Also Mick runs one of the more successful electrical contracting business's in the county at a time when most are shutting up shop.

Im not saying the place is going to be packed and some valid points are bening made but as usual Boards.ie seems to be a haven for negativity.

Cue the responses...."were just being realistic".

A very different generation ran 'Donohoes'. So to say that Mick and his father have no experience in the bar trade is more than valid. Since his grandfather left the pub game there has been massive changes to the industry and peoples drinking habits aside from the recession. With regard to the electrical business and the 'success' being made of it all I would say is that the black and whites figures cant be argued with.
    Indeed, it has been widely reported that on the original electrical installation for the former lease holder of the Castle the electrical contractor was owed a considerable amount of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As my hero Ben Dunne says on his brilliant radio ads: "a lot of new businesses start in recession".

He knows what he's talking about.

Like BenDunne.com :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Like BenDunne.com :rolleyes:
    *Whooosh*

Here's a link to the 'new' Castle Night Club Facebook page - it's going to be bleedin deadly - for as long as it lasts! :D

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Castle-Nightclub-Enniscorthy/172558166124770

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Byrne and Byrne builders, Enniscorthy Electrical Wholesale, Jim Byrne Byrnes world of wonder and bookshops, Maloccas takeaways. Michael Donohoe senior.
    I don't think that young Michael Donohoe and his wife Nadia Malloca will run into trouble with having a big family like this.

What a plonker. Complaining about a place that is under renovation, before its finished being renovated? Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

What a plonker. Complaining about a place that is under renovation, before its finished being renovated? Ridiculous.

Why don't you have a proper look at the blog before coming out with that statement? I have made nothing other than factual statements about what I can see - the broken pots are being retained, the stuffed cannons are being retained and the 'discovered' one is waiting for somebody with a van to nick it, as happened to some of the other outside exhibits. Plonker yourself. :p

Ha, Didnt know it was you! :D

How do you know they are being retained? At least let them finish before you decide what you think would suit the place best. Negative for the sake of it imo.

A few of your other points are valid enough, although a frayed flag on a private business is hardly a sign that the town is gone to ruins, especially when the business in question is still thriving.

Cant see that video where I am.

Synopsis?

Cant see that video where I am.

Synopsis?

Just my warped idea of humour. Sorry for being narky in my previous posts - splitting headache developing. :)

Outside of St.Mary's in an indescribable state again today. A letter on its way to the principal and I will report the response, if any, here.
    Work on the castle has been accelerating today with everybody and his dog seemingly involved.
    Water off again last night - what is going on? When it came back on it was like this (see below) - any scientist amongst you know why and what gives it the delightful cloudy effect?

water-001.jpg?w=300&h=243

http://www.mapalerter.com/wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Water off again last night - what is going on? When it came back on it was like this (see below) - any scientist amongst you know why and what gives it the delightful cloudy effect?

water-001.jpg?w=300&h=243

There's ads running on South East Radio regarding the water being turned off.
    Maintenance is taking place at the pump house,the cloudy effect is harmless,let it settle for a few minutes and it'll be ok.It's just sediment from lime in the water.

New pharmacy opening at Bellfield: Grants Pharmacy,I think that's 6 pharmacies in the town now.Nice to see the empty units beside Dunnes being filled,new butchers and a new takeaway are the latest tenants.

Zerks - how long do you reckon the butchers and takeaway will last? I'm thinking of calling to William Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

JD,

the Eileen Gray mentioned in your blog is a relative of the Pounden family (thru her mother) I mentioned when we were discussing the cannon lying outside the castle.

JDo

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Zerks - how long do you reckon the butchers and takeaway will last? I'm thinking of calling to William Hill.

The take-away was doing brisk business today but not sure if its enough to cover overheads.

Took a walk down town this morning to check progress on Rafter Street and the state of the new paving is difficult to describe and too depressing to photograph. Dog ****, miscellaneous stains and a trail of oil greet you outside the defunct My Sport shop and the light colour of the paving looks to have been the disaster that I predicted but perhaps the Council intend to powerwash it daily?

Back at the Market Square, the 1798 monument is still covered in graffiti; tomorrow the Council hypocrites will hold a wreath laying ceremony there to commemorate 1916 and then go back to ignoring it again.

1798+003.JPG

That graffiti will have it's 1st Birthday in June,bad enough the fuckers that did it but it's also a lack of respect to leave it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wallop 64

I was looking for a site where people get to moan about Enniscorthy and can cowardly hide behind a screen name, this seems to fit the bill

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Wallop 64 wrote: »
    I was looking for a site where people get to moan about Enniscorthy and can cowardly hide behind a screen name, this seems to fit the bill

Brilliant First post.

Why don't you post under your own name then you daft twat? I feel a warning coming but it was worth it. :D

Clever username. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

So that's what I was doing wrong :rolleyes:

Welcome to boards,don't worry-we moan about it in public too.We do praise the good things too but the bad far outweigh them.

Will you have anymore insightful and thoughtful contributions to the thread? Really looking forward to them.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I agree with Wallop, this thread is just full of people moaning about the town, and no action taken by these moaners to make it better. I have lived in Enniscorthy all my life, and love living here, are there problems with the town? yup there are indeed, but there are problems in every town. The internet is a great place to give out and not do anything to try fix it. whinge whinge whinge.

Advertisement