Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

kneemos wrote: »
    Bit of a speed track that road.

Yep, it can be. You get cars mad to build up a bit of speed there and its also a favoured spot for overtaking. Hard to see the traffic when pulling out from the Blackwater junction onto the main road too, you really have to force the nose of the car out onto the road to get a good view.

This is the 3rd accident I've seen on this stretch since they start the bypass works a few hundred yards down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Yep, it can be. You get cars mad to build up a bit of speed there and its also a favoured spot for overtaking. Hard to see the traffic when pulling out from the Blackwater junction onto the main road too, you really have to force the nose of the car out onto the road to get a good view.

This is the 3rd accident I've seen on this stretch since they start the bypass works a few hundred yards down the road.

The sun can be blinding on that road especially if it's wet, I've had a few close calls at that junction especially coming from the Oulart direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My sister came across that crash,some numpty came from Enniscorthy and turned to take the Blackwater rd. oblivious to the traffic heading towards them.It could have been a lot worse as kids were involved.

Yep, I seen a small chap sitting on the ditch - didn't look hurt but most definitely in shock.

For some reason, I'd swear the amount of bad/reckless driving is on the increase the past year. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't witness something that makes me shake my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Enniscorthy named as an unemployment blackspot (Urban area) at a rate of 32%. Nothing surprising there, I suppose. Most people I know working in town are in low paid service sector jobs. Even the few I know in Clearstream get paid badly.

• Advertisement

Enniscorthy named as an unemployment blackspot (Urban area) at a rate of 32%. Nothing surprising there, I suppose. Most people I know working in town are in low paid service sector jobs. Even the few I know in Clearstream get paid badly.

Nope, no surprises there other than maybe the figure of 32% is distorted. If you were to include all the people "on the sick" or "on government funded training" and the like, the number would probably rise significantly. Government likes to manipulate the true number in their favor.

All the relatively large employers left a long time ago and I don't believe we have had a significant jobs announcement in the town ever since.

Nope, no surprises there other than maybe the figure of 32% is distorted. If you were to include all the people "on the sick" or "on government funded training" and the like, the number would probably rise significantly. Government likes to manipulate the true number in their favor.

All the relatively large employers left a long time ago and I don't believe we have had a significant jobs announcement in the town ever since.

I remember all the factories, Alcast, Wexal, even Buttles, plenty of work, especially for fella's who left school with no ambition of further education. Now them lads are all hanging about in the bookies and the like.

Most people I know work in Wexford Town, and a few, like myself, commute daily to Dublin.

Single biggest cause for the decline of the town in my opinion. You can throw all the shops in the world into Enniscorthy, but without a population with significant spending power, the demand just won't be there.

Single biggest cause for the decline of the town in my opinion. You can throw all the shops in the world into Enniscorthy, but without a population with significant spending power, the demand just won't be there.

That's it in a nutshell.

Yep, same in many provincial towns. I remember the Old House every weekend, great craic, lads having a few beers after a hard weeks work.. Now?
    I know the pub scene has changed anyway, but when there is no where for men to work, towns die. Slowly.

But in saying that Gorey is thriving, but it is on the Dublin commuter belt and has a huge influx of Dubs every year too.

• Advertisement

Yep, Gorey is thriving because the spending power is migrating from Dublin. The only migration of people we seem to have in Enniscorthy is largely from other countries and typically comes at a cost to the country (housing, social welfare etc) or money leaving the country.

I really think that Enniscorthy and New Ross have been informally classified as lost causes within the county.

Yep, same in many provincial towns. I remember the Old House every weekend, great craic, lads having a few beers after a hard weeks work.. Now?
    I know the pub scene has changed anyway, but when there is no where for men to work, towns die. Slowly.

But in saying that Gorey is thriving, but it is on the Dublin commuter belt and has a huge influx of Dubs every year too.

Maybe with the completion of the bypass Enniscorthy might become part of the dreaded Dublin commuter belt too, if course if CIE extended the commuter train service that Gorey enjoys to Enniscorthy it would be great for people.

I'd honestly prefer if Enniscorthy stayed a kip rather than become another 'Little Dublin'.

I'd honestly prefer if Enniscorthy stayed a kip rather than become another 'Little Dublin'.

Ahhh, the Nouveau rich Dubs won't be long making it a kip...

To start with - it'd end up as housing estate on top of housing estate with no supporting infrastructure, facilities or local road improvements. Its the last thing the town needs because its bad enough as is.

I use Wexford Bus every day. I dread it in the summer, it's not as bad as Bus Eireann, but it gets a fair few scangers, especially on Thurs/Fri, on their way to Kilmuckridge or Courtown. We've enough of our own scangers, without adding to it.

I use Wexford Bus every day. I dread it in the summer, it's not as bad as Bus Eireann, but it gets a fair few scangers, especially on Thurs/Fri, on their way to Kilmuckridge or Courtown. We've enough of our own scangers, without adding to it.

You don't need to tell me, commuted myself for years... some horrible memories.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Enniscorthy has one of the highest amounts of social housing in the country per head of population. There's generations of families in this town who's sole aim is sign on and get a council house.
    Already sites are being cleared to build more houses in time for the bypass being completed along with the main drainage upgrade.
    I'm lucky enough to work locally as I don't want to return to commuting,I spent too many years getting into a vehicle at stupid o clock and getting home in time for bed.
    Hopefully the initiative to build a technology park in town will bring much needed jobs but the pig headedness of those in the County Council to build the university on an unsuitable site in Wexford is a blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

HEDGE.jpg

Good to see the Council doing their bit for nature conservation and breaking the law to boot - this was the scene just below the 1798 Centre today. Not content with needlessly shaving the hedge along the road a machine was doing the same on the inside. Height of the breeding season for garden birds.

BENCH.jpg

Meanwhile - well into what passes for the tourist season - all the park benches that I've seen around town are in the usual unkempt state. Sorry for harping on about this but I live in hope that some worthy on the Council still reads Boards occasionally. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile around the rugby club you can't actually walk on the paths due to overhanging trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Del.Monte wrote: »
    HEDGE.jpg

Good to see the Council doing their bit for nature conservation and breaking the law to boot - this was the scene just below the 1798 Centre today. Not content with needlessly shaving the hedge along the road a machine was doing the same on the inside. Height of the breeding season for garden birds.

BENCH.jpg

Meanwhile - well into what passes for the tourist season - all the park benches that I've seen around town are in the usual unkempt state. Sorry for harping on about this but I live in hope that some worthy on the Council still reads Boards occasionally. :rolleyes:

Co co did the same illegal hedge cutting on the n25 and in barntown. Nobody cares though, they do what they want when they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Was through the town last week and there was some amount of high vis jacketed people, could be tidy towns? Unlikely the co Council

vicwatson wrote: »
    Was through the town last week and there was some amount of high vis jacketed people, could be tidy towns? Unlikely the co Council

CE Scheme lads,they do a lot of work around the town, planting flowers,cutting grass,litter picking etc.
    It's a pity they don't send a couple of them around painting the park benches.

zerks wrote: »
    CE Scheme lads,they do a lot of work around the town, planting flowers,cutting grass,litter picking etc.
    It's a pity they don't send a couple of them around painting the park benches.

Lads on community service too, I think

€2 charge for the recycling centre in Kilcannon now. We use it every weekend, and use it properly, in that we wash our plastics, separate everything properly etc. Whereas €2 is not much, on a monthly basis it is €8 or so, so the incentive to use it is gone, as using the green bin costs the same. I don't mind a nominal fee, perhaps let householders buy a monthly or yearly pass on a lower rate, but charge the local business' more - as some of them certainly did take the piss big time and used it as their own personal fiefdom for shop waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Charging anything is a major retrograde step but no less than you would expect from the fools in Wexford Co.Council - how else will they pay for all their shiny new 171WX road vehicles?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Charging anything is a major retrograde step but no less than you would expect from the fools in Wexford Co.Council - how else will they pay for all their shiny new 171WX road vehicles?

Better than Blondie on the dumper in fairness:pac:

Does anybody know why the pet shop in Abbey Square is closed? Just a notice apologising for any inconvenience on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why is the coast guard circling the town and ambulance/fire/guards sirens everywhere.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Why is the coast guard circling the town and ambulance/fire/guards sirens everywhere.

Just wondering the same, he has been over my house for the last 15 mins

Advertisement