Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note

Lads in the words of the man of the moment. CHILL THE BEANS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Another of my pet hates in Enniscorthy is the poor standard of maintenance of basic things like road signs/street lights etc.

3%2BPOLES.jpg

Above left to right: an ESB pole on Castle Hill - very badly sited in the middle of the path and not painted in my 12 years living in the town; two new (and probably expensive) signs beside the steps approaching the top of Castle Hill - what on earth's the point of them?; and the almost 45 degree Belisha beacon outside the SVP in the Market Square. If I was an inspector for the Tidy Towns Competition it's this sort of thing that I would notice and deduct marks for but I guess they mustn't go to Specsavers. All little complaints I know, but they all contribute to the down at heel sight that the town presents.

Incidentally, I see some scumbags have written on the 1798 memorial - again -
    and can we not have the grease marks removed too please! :mad:

Pics: Robin mgp

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I feel sorry for society when a sign is needed to tell people to be careful on steps.I suppose the council have to cover themselves if some litigious eejit falls on them.

On another negative note I see the new pavement edge along Church Street is being broken up by traffic. I have also seen instances of at least three cars puncturing tyres on the same sharp pavement edging outside Evolv - you couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I see on Petopia's Facebook Page that the shop is closing down. :(

Bought all my dogs and cats food there. There's no other pet supplies as far as I know besides the Vets on the Dublin Rd.

BuboBubo wrote: »

Bought all my dogs and cats food there. There's no other pet supplies as far as I know besides the Vets on the Dublin Rd.

There's a pet shop up at the Duffry.

BuboBubo wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/petcorner.bunclody/ Pet corner in Enniscorthy on Duffry hill beside the Taxi rank and in the market square in Bunclody.

Only in Enniscorthy would you see council workers watering plants after a night of heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    Only in Enniscorthy would you see council workers watering plants after a night of heavy rain.

I've seen them do it before. I imagine not a lot of water gets through with the plant coverage plus those boxes probably dry out completely,they practically fill them to the brim I think.

The only explanation I can figure anyway.

• Advertisement

Pet Depot opening in the former Doyle's Checkout in Bellfield.

Anti abortion crew doing the rounds already. Going to turn into a proper ****fest by the time a referendum is called.

kneemos wrote: »
    Anti abortion crew doing the rounds already. Going to turn into a proper ****fest by the time a referendum is called.

I'm all for free speech and debate but they tend to take it too far.The last time they were campaigning in town they had graphic images on display while some of them had kids in tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Bloke going around door-to-door trying to sell people aerial photos of their property. Personally, I'm not sure why most people would be bothered?

Now, either he's done his research and there's a market for this, or he's totally and utterly bonkers.

someone had 1 of them drones up last night around the town it was hovering a good bit over houses. maybe that was what this guy was doing. I thought it was illegal to fly these drones in built up areas.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Bloke going around door-to-door trying to sell people aerial photos of their property. Personally, I'm not sure why most people would be bothered?

Now, either he's done his research and there's a market for this, or he's totally and utterly bonkers.

Some people may feel obliged to buy the photo to remove it from circulation. It's a scheme/scam that's been around long before drones.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Some people may feel obliged to buy the photo to remove it from circulation. It's a scheme/scam that's been around long before drones.

Unless it had caught me sunbathing nude in the back yard, I can't say I'd be fussed.

Not even sure selling photos specifically of private property without the consent of the owner is actually legal to be honest. Hope he comes calling again sometime soon, I'll be sure and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

I'd say the Drone owner would be careful to ensure his toy didn't go over a farmer's house (or anyone else with a spread of land).

Said drone might meet a bad end over private property.

"Drone, what drone?" "Now please leave my property!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Del.Monte wrote: »

My parents always used to get a photograph of their house. This was back from 80s. it is nice to be able to see the houses that you've a memory of as a kid, or the ones that were there before you.

never thought of it as a scam

ezra_ wrote: »
    My parents always used to get a photograph of their house. This was back from 80s. it is nice to be able to see the houses that you've a memory of as a kid, or the ones that were there before you.

never thought of it as a scam

You're right of course and I remember legitimate people selling aerial photographs back in the 1970's, but there was an element even back then that were virtually intimidating people into buying the prints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Echo gone into liquidation. Liquidator looking to sell as going concern. Potentially 30 jobs effected county wide. €845,000 worth of liabilities.

Echo gone into liquidation. Liquidator looking to sell as going concern. Potentially 30 jobs effected county wide. €845,000 worth of liabilities.

Been bought apparently. They made made huge ad revenue during the last boom I believe,but god knows who buys those rags any more. https://www.her.ie/life/receiver-appointed-to-irish-examiner-and-sunday-business-post-28042

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Been bought apparently. They made made huge ad revenue during the last boom I believe,but god knows who buys those rags any more. https://www.her.ie/life/receiver-appointed-to-irish-examiner-and-sunday-business-post-28042

My parents get it. I don't like it but I would hate to see more job losses in the town. We do get the Guardian though!

Newspapers are history but nobody seems to have told them; ironically the local rags may outlive the National ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

blindsider wrote: »
    I'd say the Drone owner would be careful to ensure his toy didn't go over a farmer's house (or anyone else with a spread of land).

Said drone might meet a bad end over private property.

"Drone, what drone?" "Now please leave my property!"

Was selling them to farmer's too! Not near as good as the guys that used to go around in the helicopter taking them though.

Pet shop in Abbey Square definitely closing, they are having a clear out sale.

Anyone remember during the Tesco/retail park fiasco when it was said that the Abbey Square was the best location and plans were in place to redevelop it? Tesco was stopped and nothing ever happened with the redevelopment.

So... our Parisian Boulevard... it starts it life as a pedestrianised street, but now its some sort of hybrid. Here's what I don't get -

You have cars parked where traditionally you'd expect a path. From what I can gather, this doesn't appear to be illegal? So, as a pedestrian, I'm now forced to walk down the middle of the street where I stand the chance of being run down by oncoming cars.

In terms of how this street should function, I'm assuming Wild West laws apply until something bad happens.

I really do wonder what sort of liability local authorities will assume if someone forced to walk in the middle of the street gets clipped by a car here someday.

vgk2us.jpg

dethj7.jpg

Fines getting handed out this morning anyway.
    Are we down to one warden? Haven't seen the lad that does the town side for ages.

Fines getting handed out this morning anyway.
    Are we down to one warden? Haven't seen the lad that does the town side for ages.

Yep, spotted two cars ticketed on John Street around midday. A very rare occurrence to see two parking tickets in Enniscorthy within 50 yards of each other.

I can get over people parking in pay areas and not paying, its the stupid parking that gets me. On the double yellow lines outside the BOI ATM and the bus stop would be two spots I'd love to see a clamp down on.

People who park their entire car on top of a footpath is another one.

Friday @ circa 2pm at probably the worst bend in the town...

34813438294_1a010e4010_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Friday @ circa 2pm at probably the worst bend in the town...

34813438294_1a010e4010_n.jpg

Ah now that's being a bit picky the car is nowhere near the bend.

Advertisement