Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi everyone!

Heading to the Blues Festival in a few weeks but not sure what to expect.
    Is it just different bands in pubs all day/night?
    Is it particular pubs taking part?

What IS the festival?

Any info greatly appreciated as I'm having trouble finding out more online.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Drink and Blues Music and more drink.

Good to see that the Visit Wexford Tourism site http://www.visitwexford.ie/events/blackstairs-blues-festival-1 has info about the 2016 Festival and the lamentable Enniscorthy Tourism http://www.enniscorthytourism.com/event/blackstairs-blues-festival-2017/ site at least gives the dates and says more details to follow. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you better keep an eye on this page for the latest news: https://www.facebook.com/BlackstairsBluesFestival/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I think its up to the organizers to contact Wexford Tourism regarded what they want on the site they even have an "add event" page on the website.

http://www.visitwexford.ie/node/add/event

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I think its up to the organizers to contact Wexford Tourism regarded what they want on the site they even have an "add event" page on the website.

http://www.visitwexford.ie/node/add/event

That's as maybe but it doesn't excuse the woeful inaccuracies on both sites - especially the Enniscorthy one.

Wexford, Enniscorthy and the South East getting a plug on Newstalk with George Hook and Barry Kenny on "High Noon" today. The 1798 Centre got a glowing mention but the fact that it is to close was missed. Then Kenny referenced the running of the "Opera Train" to Wexford - another thing axed by the cretins in CIE. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Wexford, Enniscorthy and the South East getting a plug on Newstalk with George Hook and Barry Kenny on "High Noon" today. The 1798 Centre got a glowing mention but the fact that it is to close was missed. Then Kenny referenced the running of the "Opera Train" to Wexford - another thing axed by the cretins in CIE. :rolleyes:

Doesn't Kenny work for Iarnroid Eireann?

lazer.blue wrote: »
    Doesn't Kenny work for Iarnroid Eireann?

He's 'employed' by them but seems to live the life of Riley. He left CIE in 2000 and tried working for Ryanair where he lasted only a couple of weeks before waltzing back into CIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Del Monte probably has more info on this but Gorey to Rosslare has once more popped up as one of the rail routes in the firing line for closure.Enniscorthy once more deemed as a backwater.
    IMO the opening of the bypass could speed up this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    Del Monte probably has more info on this but Gorey to Rosslare has once more popped up as one of the rail routes in the firing line for closure.Enniscorthy once more deemed as a backwater.
    IMO the opening of the bypass could speed up this process.

Nobody wants to lose these services yet nobody uses them. The Rosslare trains are so infrequent they're of no use to anybody even if they did want to use them.

Just a quick question. How many social houses does Enniscorthy need? A scheme of them being built in the Moyne area and another 100 planned for the Milehouse which will almost join up with the other ones.
    Enniscorthy has problems with generations who's sole ambition is to get a cheap council house. It's not uncommon to see 3 generations sign on at 18 and keep it up until pension age.
    Maybe the emphasis should be put on attracting companies to locate in the area and provide jobs.Get these people out of the cycle of get to 18,sign on,have kids,get council house, rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

kneemos wrote: »
    Nobody wants to lose these services yet nobody uses them. The Rosslare trains are so infrequent they're of no use to anybody even if they did want to use them.

It's time the railways were privatised. Someone like Michael O'Leary would make them work

kneemos wrote: »

You're obviously not a rail user or you wouldn't trot out this crap. Despite CIE there are plenty of people using the Rosslare line and it would be another nail in Wexford's coffin if our useless TDs let it close. Commuters, tourists, there's plenty of traffic but only a fraction of what there could be. IE needs to be shunted off to just maintenance of the permanent way and a Luas type operation with a competitive tender process and award to a company that knows what its doing.

I hear the latest management plan is to de-staff all the stations on the line if they can get the unions to agree - of course the users won't be consulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

paulaa wrote: »
    It's time the railways were privatised. Someone like Michael O'Leary would make them work

Yawn...

jca wrote: »
    Yawn...

I suppose you have some valuable opinions as to how to make the railways work ? Please share them with us

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You're obviously not a rail user or you wouldn't trot out this crap. Despite CIE there are plenty of people using the Rosslare line and it would be another nail in Wexford's coffin if our useless TDs let it close. Commuters, tourists, there's plenty of traffic but only a fraction of what there could be. IE needs to be shunted off to just maintenance of the permanent way and a Luas type operation with a competitive tender process and award to a company that knows what its doing.

I hear the latest management plan is to de-staff all the stations on the line if they can get the unions to agree - of course the users won't be consulted.

How many people on average would be on the train from Enniscorthy to Wexford/Rosslare per journey?

I haven't used it in years but it's hard to imagine that the route is making a profit?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How many people on average would be on the train from Enniscorthy to Wexford/Rosslare per journey?

I haven't used it in years but it's hard to imagine that the route is making a profit?

No railway in Western Europe makes a profit. Some railways in the US do due to vast freight traffic.

Below is a link to the Indo article about the railways. There are some interesting replies in the comments section

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-rail-earmarks-four-routes-for-axe-as-it-warns-pay-rise-will-push-it-towards-insolvency-36079194.html

Just a quick question. How many social houses does Enniscorthy need? A scheme of them being built in the Moyne area and another 100 planned for the Milehouse which will almost join up with the other ones.
    Enniscorthy has problems with generations who's sole ambition is to get a cheap council house. It's not uncommon to see 3 generations sign on at 18 and keep it up until pension age.
    Maybe the emphasis should be put on attracting companies to locate in the area and provide jobs.Get these people out of the cycle of get to 18,sign on,have kids,get council house, rinse and repeat.

This stereotyping of people in social housing really annoys me. I've worked in many jobs and there were plenty of co workers who lived in social housing and were hard and decent workers. In many cases the home was their parents who had worked in jobs that had made them redundant in their 50's and 60's ex Davis Mill, Barna buildings etc. Even where I'm working now there are many people in social housing. Genuinely I don't see that 3 generation dole family anymore.

I suppose you have some valuable opinions as to how to make the railways work ? Please share them with us

The railways do work, some lines are busier than others such is the nature of the beast. Michael o Leary certainly isn't the answer, that messer would have every line closed and everyone on minimum wage( not himself of course)

This stereotyping of people in social housing really annoys me. I've worked in many jobs and there were plenty of co workers who lived in social housing and were hard and decent workers. In many cases the home was their parents who had worked in jobs that had made them redundant in their 50's and 60's ex Davis Mill, Barna buildings etc. Even where I'm working now there are many people in social housing. Genuinely I don't see that 3 generation dole family anymore.

I know it came across as stereotyping but there's so many families around the town who are career benefit claimants.I personally know one girl who wasn't out of school 6 months and got pregnant,not by accident but as a choice to become eligible for a house.Others that I went to school with never worked,had kids young and these are continuing on the trend set by their parents,it's not just confined to Enniscorthy but we do have a massive amount of social housing per head of population.
    It's these types that annoy me.My point is the council see the solution in building estates instead of working on employment and attracting jobs to the town.As much as we laugh at the Healy Rae's and parish pump politics at times that's what's needed.

• Advertisement

I know it came across as stereotyping but there's so many families around the town who are career benefit claimants.I personally know one girl who wasn't out of school 6 months and got pregnant,not by accident but as a choice to become eligible for a house.Others that I went to school with never worked,had kids young and these are continuing on the trend set by their parents,it's not just confined to Enniscorthy but we do have a massive amount of social housing per head of population.
    It's these types that annoy me.My point is the council see the solution in building estates instead of working on employment and attracting jobs to the town.As much as we laugh at the Healy Rae's and parish pump politics at times that's what's needed.

Well the so called "Town Rate" of pay would have to increase so workers in these jobs could actually get mortgages to buy a house. We've a medical devices company paying minimum wage the only medical devices company in the whole country doing so.

Well the so called "Town Rate" of pay would have to increase so workers in these jobs could actually get mortgages to buy a house. We've a medical devices company paying minimum wage the only medical devices company in the whole country doing so.

I worked with lads from up Wicklow way,the old story from them and their father's was "plenty of work in Wexford, just don't expect plenty of money".
    When you see stories about the average industrial wage,just halve it for wages down this way.

The railways do work, some lines are busier than others such is the nature of the beast. Michael o Leary certainly isn't the answer, that messer would have every line closed and everyone on minimum wage( not himself of course)

They work, at a massive loss and inefficiently. Ml O'Leary was just one example of a successful businessman with a profit making business

They work, at a massive loss and inefficiently. Ml O'Leary was just one example of a successful businessman with a profit making business

Yea, you keep believing that spin. His workers don't get a share of these profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

All new estates have to have mixed usage these days AFAIK.

Enniscorthy has always been a black spot for unemployment though. Even in the boom we were in double figures.

Yea, you keep believing that spin. His workers don't get a share of these profits.

What spin ? His company is one of the most successful Irish companies ever. What he does with his staff is not the subject of conversation.
    Does Iarnród Éireann share it's "profits" or Bus Éireann, Pennys or Dunnes Stores ?

What spin ? His company is one of the most successful Irish companies ever. What he does with his staff is not the subject of conversation.
    Does Iarnród Éireann share it's "profits" or Bus Éireann, Pennys or Dunnes Stores ?

Maybe they don't but they pay their workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Bull****. I worked in Ryanair for almost 10 years, and I got well paid, I got travel perks, i got a pension, I had sharesave options, as did, and do, all permanent employees. A great company to work for.

I notice that is always people who don't work for them, that seem to have an issue and always, without fail, have no earthly clue what ****e they are spouting.

Bull****. I worked in Ryanair for almost 10 years, and I got well paid, I got travel perks, i got a pension, I had sharesave options, as did, and do, all permanent employees. A great company to work for.

I notice that is always people who don't work for them, that seem to have an issue and always, without fail, have no earthly clue what ****e they are spouting.
    I've never heard of a permanent employee in Ryanair you certainly are privileged (or related).

Really? A work colleague's son worked for that cowboy on aircraft maintenance, they were treated like ****, the most responsible job in the organisation and treated like slaves. You can notice what you like but that ****er is a slave driver and doesn't give a **** about his workers he's only in it to line his pockets, don't be fooled by his bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

he's only in it to line his pockets.

That's usually the main reason anyone sets up a business.

Advertisement