Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

emmetkenny wrote: »
    That's usually the main reason anyone sets up a business.

Yep, but some people here think he's Ireland's saviour, the poor deluded fools, he's just a mouthpiece like all that went before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

jca wrote: »
    I've never heard of a permanent employee in Ryanair you certainly are privileged (or related).

Really? A work colleague's son worked for that cowboy on aircraft maintenance, they were treated like ****, the most responsible job in the organisation and treated like slaves. You can notice what you like but that ****er is a slave driver and doesn't give a **** about his workers he's only in it to line his pockets, don't be fooled by his bull****.

Hundreds of us worked for FR, and I am not related. Prob thousands now, as I left a good number of years ago to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I hate to say this but Enniscorthy is noted for it's "chip on the shoulder attitude".
    Anyone who gets on or makes an effort to better themselves are torn down with the typical begrudgery.

Why would big companies bother coming to a place where they will be resented for creating much needed jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

ENNISCORTHY%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

Doesn't mention whether there's going to be refreshments but I'll drop in on the off chance. :D

paulaa wrote: »
    I hate to say this but Enniscorthy is noted for it's "chip on the shoulder attitude".
    Anyone who gets on or makes an effort to better themselves are torn down with the typical begrudgery.

Why would big companies bother coming to a place where they will be resented for creating much needed jobs.

Well, if they pay minimum wage with proper wages being paid in other branches of the company any resentment towards them would be deserved. At this stage Ti Reynolds (Wexal) were the last decent wage employer in Enniscorthy. Pay the wages and you'll get the workers pretty simple really. The problems start when people are better off on social welfare because the wages are rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Work has begun on the new filling station at Shingaun.

zerks wrote: »
    Work has begun on the new filling station at Shingaun.

I saw that yesterday, Dan doesn't hang around.

I saw that yesterday, Dan doesn't hang around.

I suppose the resurfacing works might have forced his hand.I wonder if the previously planned roundabout will still be built at the site?The planning was granted a while back so I suppose they had to get cracking sooner or later.

Speaking of roadworks in the town.
    Comedy capers at the Bloody Bridge on Sunday evening. Somebody driving towards town met a car coming the wrong way through the roadworks and ended up in the trench.He wouldn't have except he was drunk out of his mind.Another of his ethnic minority friends tried to pull the car out with a Hiace.
    Gardai arrived and arrested the driver of the car as his mates scarped when they saw the blue lights.Gardai also managed to book several other drivers who came the wrong way down through the works site.Delighted for them as I met 2 cars last week doing it as I drove the right way up the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

kneemos wrote: »

LOL... "Boom Time", what a sensationalist headline. 2 new shops in Enniscorthy and the Guardian's economists have us on the rise.

I must admit, I'm absolutely amazed that a large chain like Vila would come to Enniscorthy. Unless its a franchise and some poor soul has taken a punt on actually turning a profit in the town. I do however, wish them the best.

Another clothes shop and another coffee shop, great just what's needed....

Another clothes shop and another coffee shop, great just what's needed....

Assuming you're being sarcastic - do you mind me asking, what is it that you believe we're supposed to need?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

More old tosh. Don't hold your breath while we await the arrival of the Celtic Slug. That new coffee shop up a horrendous flight of stairs - if you're elderly - will fail like everything else that has been tried there.

At least we are seeing some movement. A big chain opening in Rafter Street is most needed.Dunnes pulled strokes like that all over Ireland leaving premises to go into dereliction after they moved to out of town or more favourable locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

jpb1974 wrote: »
    LOL... "Boom Time", what a sensationalist headline. 2 new shops in Enniscorthy and the Guardian's economists have us on the rise.

I must admit, I'm absolutely amazed that a large chain like Vila would come to Enniscorthy. Unless its a franchise and some poor soul has taken a punt on actually turning a profit in the town. I do however, wish them the best.

If they're the shop I'm thinking of, they do seem to be a franchised chain, as I remember the OH asking in the one in Liffey Valley was a particular offer also on in Blanchardstown (due to stock scarcity in the former) and the staff told her the Blanchardstown one was a different owner to their store, so the offer might not be in store there.

At least we are seeing some movement.

I agree.

I'd feel sorry for anyone who takes on a new venture, if they were to stumble across this thread and read some of the not so positive comments. It's very hard to sustain a profitable business in this town, just about everything is against you from the word go, but it'd help if people gave these shops a chance rather than immediately writing them off.

Admittedly, I've been skeptical myself in the past, but I've had a long hard think about the town and how I'd like to see it improve... and to be honest, it doesn't all stem around Enniscorthy becoming the next Dundrum Town Centre or the like. I don't even think that the Tesco dream is necessarily a sure thing (look at New Ross). I'm also highly skeptical about the "Templeshannon Re-development"... not that the area doesn't need it, but this notion that heavy traffic translates to profitable businesses... that's a total and utter load of tosh, as I've said before - the Island Road should be like 5th Avenue if this were the case... but I stand to be corrected.

Anything negative I usual say, is down to me being realistic about a business's chance of surviving or how effective/successful I think a plan might be, but I'm not going to moan because a woman's clothes shop, not to my taste, is vacating an empty unit or the like. I genuinely wish them well.

Here'd be my priorities for the town -

1. Long term, sustainable job creation - all the complaining is about shops, but this hands down the single biggest important thing

2. Tidy the frickin place up and manage the town better - this is one thing that really doesn't impress me about Enniscorthy and I think a cleaner, tidier town would certainly help the place from a tourism perspective. As for the planning and management of the place, well that's the greatest f'ing disaster of all time in my opinion. The waste, the bad decisions... its hard to fathom how professionals actually get paid to f*ck the place up so bad.

3. Sort out the traffic - you'd be put off the place with the situation as is, hoping the bypass will help with this

4. Re-think housing growth - at this stage I think the Irish economy would be thrilled to start building housing estates on top of housing estates with no local infrastructure or service improvements - thats one bubble we really don't need to get back to

If you sort out #1, then new shops and local businesses would organically grow as a result of the increased spending power.

All a dream though...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A few decent sized units wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

A few decent sized units wouldn't go amiss.

New business park beside st senans due to start bring built in autumn

Regarding housing, what is the fascination with building estate after estate on the West side of the town? The Moyne area is turning into one massive estate. More houses planned for the Milehouse which will join up with the Moyne.Nothing planned for the Eastern side bar a proposal for some social housing beside the new business park on the St.Senans site.

• Advertisement

Regarding housing, what is the fascination with building estate after estate on the West side of the town? The Moyne area is turning into one massive estate. More houses planned for the Milehouse which will join up with the Moyne.Nothing planned for the Eastern side bar a proposal for some social housing beside the new business park on the St.Senans site.

Its all short sighted, short term gain - find someone who'll sell land, doesn't matter where and "get the economy moving" by building more houses.

Just look at the traffic in those two areas... it's pretty darn bad in both, and now they just want to pile more onto it. The parents live in The Moyne, and you wouldn't believe how busy that road has become in the last 10-15 years.

Its all a race to the bottom if you ask me because I really don't see any well thought out strategy here. Ireland is absolutely desperate to get back to the cheap credit, building boom, zero sustainability economy that crippled us 10 years ago.

I still remember a statement by one of our long serving Councillors back during the boom when he was asked about the imbalance of building in the town.He said "the East of the town already had too high a density of houses". Absolute bollix,I wonder how much they were getting in levies from developers who wanted land they owned zoned for housing on the West of the town to come out with guff like that?

I still remember a statement by one of our long serving Councillors back during the boom when he was asked about the imbalance of building in the town.He said "the East of the town already had too high a density of houses". Absolute bollix,I wonder how much they were getting in levies from developers who wanted land they owned zoned for housing on the West of the town to come out with guff like that?

Well, there's a huge parcel of land behind George Kehoes new premises in Clonhaston that has been stopped for the second time by objections. The topography of the land on the east side doesn't lend itself to easy development on a large scale and if course the landowners themselves are terrified to put any land on the market in case the travellers buy it. Unless you can get virgin media to wire your new development high speed bb won't be available because there are no cabinets in the area, everything is direct to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Well, there's a huge parcel of land behind George Kehoes new premises in Clonhaston that has been stopped for the second time by objections. The topography of the land on the east side doesn't lend itself to easy development on a large scale and if course the landowners themselves are terrified to put any land on the market in case the travellers buy it. Unless you can get virgin media to wire your new development high speed bb won't be available because there are no cabinets in the area, everything is direct to the exchange.

All the amenities are on the west side.
    Definitely room for expansion along the N30 and N11 in the future,though the N11 might get zoned for industrial use.

[quote="jca;104598073"Unless you can get virgin media to wire your new development high speed bb won't be available because there are no cabinets in the area, everything is direct to the exchange.[/quote]

Virgin media stopped their rollout at Sliabh Amhairc because once you go over The Bloody Bridge the area is classed as rural despite having hundreds of houses there with more in the pipeline.

Virgin media stopped their rollout at Sliabh Amhairc because once you go over The Bloody Bridge the area is classed as rural despite having hundreds of houses there with more in the pipeline.

I saw that. I don't think the houses in either Bridge meadow or Shingan were wired for VM when they were being built which doesn't help their case. The remains of the VM legacy system is still on some of the houses in the Milehouse.

I saw that. I don't think the houses in either Bridge meadow or Shingan were wired for VM when they were being built which doesn't help their case. The remains of the VM legacy system is still on some of the houses in the Milehouse.

I spoke to one of the supervisors when they were doing the works,they had to install new ducts and cables.Knowing this country,they'll probably wait until the road is resurfaced and dig it up again.

Well, there's a huge parcel of land behind George Kehoes new premises in Clonhaston that has been stopped for the second time by objections.

One of the neighbours of that land has a site up for sale for €100k. Maybe they are worried that a housing estate would devalue the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hey Zerks, is the riverside park doing well? talking to someone I know earlier and said they were in for food this evening and the place was hopping, good to hear

• Advertisement

One of the neighbours of that land has a site up for sale for €100k. Maybe they are worried that a housing estate would devalue the area.

There's your answer to the lack of development in the area:)

Advertisement