Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hey Zerks, is the riverside park doing well? talking to someone I know earlier and said they were in for food this evening and the place was hopping, good to hear

Its always busy,a popular spot. It'll get worldwide exposure this weekend as one of the Premier league shows is filmed there as they are interviewing Paul McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    Its always busy,a popular spot. It'll get worldwide exposure this weekend as one of the Premier league shows is filmed there as they are interviewing Paul McGrath.

I thought he was back on the sauce. Riverside is certainly gone expensive since the revamp.

jca wrote: »
    I thought he was back on the sauce. Riverside is certainly gone expensive since the revamp.

He was for a bit, he's back on the wagon now.

You'd need a credit union loan if you spent a night at a function down there,they rival Dublin for drink prices.

He was for a bit, he's back on the wagon now.

You'd need a credit union loan if you spent a night at a function down there,they rival Dublin for drink prices.

That's good he's a nice guy but he's certainly battling his demons. Yea the prices are pretty shocking alright, it doesn't seem to deter people at all.

Crane in place at the water treatment plant,mustn't be long now until the Shannon side of the town is dug up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Guess the 'boomtown' phase is already over - Doyle's butcher back on the rental market again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Just back from Riverside, place is packed. And there's a wedding on.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Guess the 'boomtown' phase is already over - Doyle's butcher back on the rental market again.

Any idea who was thinking of renting it? Surely they weren't thinking of opening another butchers, three butchers on one street and the newly opened saucy butchers on the Duffry would be pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Archaeology of Vinegar Hill.
    Interesting bit on the mass graves around 1:30. https://youtu.be/jFM1uZKH5gQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Anyone got any good recommendations as to what to try from any of these new butchers?

A lot of these 'protein packs' they're all pushing these days wouldn't be up to much from a taste perspective, but I suppose anything healthy rarely is. Having a couple of Mexican Chicken wraps from Staffords here for the lunch, they're not bad for the price (5 for €10) and taste ok. Also tried the pulled pork wraps, not as good, pulled pork should have some texture to it, but it was a bit on the mushy side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Anyone got any good recommendations as to what to try from any of these new butchers?

A lot of these 'protein packs' they're all pushing these days wouldn't be up to much from a taste perspective, but I suppose anything healthy rarely is. Having a couple of Mexican Chicken wraps from Staffords here for the lunch, they're not bad for the price (5 for €10) and taste ok. Also tried the pulled pork wraps, not as good, pulled pork should have some texture to it, but it was a bit on the mushy side.

The Saucy Butcher is excellent, I used to drive to Wexford to get all my meat there before they moved up.

Some of my personal favourites

Smoked Turkey Burgers
    Black Pepper Sasuages
    Venison Sasuages
    Steak Fajitas (premade with sweet potato)
    Lemon Chicken (premade with sweet potato)

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The Saucy Butcher is excellent, I used to drive to Wexford to get all my meat there before they moved up.

Some of my personal favourites

Smoked Turkey Burgers
    Black Pepper Sasuages
    Venison Sasuages
    Steak Fajitas (premade with sweet potato)
    Lemon Chicken (premade with sweet potato)

Good man Emmet, good to know. Will be sure and give some of these a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Good man Emmet, good to know. Will be sure and give some of these a try.

Their Steak Burgers are nice as well. Also keep an eye out for a vacuum packed fillet of turkey. We got one a while ago for Sunday dinner that was marinated in Garlic and is was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

kneemos wrote: »
    Archaeology of Vinegar Hill.
    Interesting bit on the mass graves around 1:30. https://youtu.be/jFM1uZKH5gQ

I read they are not going to excavate the "pits" / mass graves ?

paulaa wrote: »
    I read they are not going to excavate the "pits" / mass graves ?

No,they did geophysical surveys and out of respect they are not excavating them.They reckon the mass grave was used to bury dead civilians.

No,they did geophysical surveys and out of respect they are not excavating them.They reckon the mass grave was used to bury dead civilians.

Yes I often heard it said over the years that both Protestant and Catholic civilians were buried in mass graves on the hill and surrounding area. Hundreds of protestant men, women and children were taken from their homes in the town and imprisoned on the Vinegar Hill. Then they were either sent to Wexford bridge to their death or piked and buried up there.

I recall an old saying that the horses wouldn't cross the old Wexford bridge because they were frightened by the blood that flowed.

I think they should all be left to rest in peace at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pinkfoot1

Yes I often heard it said over the years that both Protestant and Catholic civilians were buried in mass graves on the hill and surrounding area. Hundreds of protestant men, women and children were taken from their homes in the town and imprisoned on the Vinegar Hill. Then they were either sent to Wexford bridge to their death or piked and buried up there.

I recall an old saying that the horses wouldn't cross the old Wexford bridge because they were frightened by the blood that flowed.

I think they should all be left to rest in peace at this stage

Here are some names of the deceased.
    Protestants massacred in 1798.docx

Pinkfoot1 wrote: »
    Here are some names of the deceased.
    Protestants massacred in 1798.docx

Thank you for that. I can't open the link but I did find this

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/wexford/xmisc/ferns-prots-1798.txt

PS Just got it opened in Word. Thanks again

Just to warn anybody in the Solsborough area - a gang of our finest ethnic minority were intercepted attempting to steal central heating oil earlier in the week. Despite one arrest the rest of the gang got away. :mad:

• Advertisement

Yea with all the great parking for the tourist buses... Mother of Jaysus if they had brains they'd be dangerous.

So the 1798 Centre will now fall derelict like the Court House. The Castle Night Club......a well known tycoon will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Incidentally, I've heard that the Council want to buy and demolish a number of building on Castle Hill - below the Castle - for use as a carpark? Why not knock the Castle and put the carpark there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Del.Monte wrote: »
    So the 1798 Centre will now fall derelict like the Court House. The Castle Night Club......a well known tycoon will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Incidentally, I've heard that the Council want to buy and demolish a number of building on Castle Hill - below the Castle - for use as a carpark? Why not knock the Castle and put the carpark there?

Hasn't the centre been sold?

ezra_ wrote: »
    Hasn't the centre been sold?

No, the sale fell through and the Council are looking for a new buyer.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

My significant other showed me the peoples reactions on the FB page "Enniscorthy photos" to the news of the 1798 center been put into the Castle nightclub at a cost of €12 million, People are not happy about it at all.

€12 million... oh mother of God, how on Earth could it cost that much?

Navarre wrote: »
    My significant other showed me the peoples reactions on the FB page "Enniscorthy photos" to the news of the 1798 center been put into the Castle nightclub at a cost of €12 million, People are not happy about it at all.

Some people on the FB group put forward some ideas for the 1798 centre. One was if they are going to spend that kind of money , build it at Vinegar hill with a gift shop and cafe attached and a car/bus park. Someone suggested the land where the old golf club was up there.
    Anyone agree ?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Some people on the FB group put forward some ideas for the 1798 centre. One was if they are going to spend that kind of money , build it at Vinegar hill with a gift shop and cafe attached and a car/bus park. Someone suggested the land where the old golf club was up there.
    Anyone agree ?

That's the best place to invest money in a building a visitors center.

Anyone agree ?

Probably passing trade they're going for,the bus tours apparently were scarce.
    If they had a one for all ticket for the Castle,Atheneum and the 1798 centre it might prove more popular.

Don't see any advantage in putting it up there,might as well leave it be.

• Advertisement

Probably passing trade they're going for,the bus tours apparently were scarce.
    If they had a one for all ticket for the Castle,Atheneum and the 1798 centre it might prove more popular.

Don't see any advantage in putting it up there,might as well leave it be.

It was suggested they incorporate it into a tour of say, Oulart Hill, the castle and other historical places

Whatever they do I can't see why they would need €12m

Advertisement