Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Saw something on FB at the weekend where the principal of St. Patrick's Special school had basically come to the end of his tether regarding failed promises to provide new premises and facilities. He wrote a very passionate and heart wrenching post.. the fact that these kids don't even have a small playground is shocking.

I tell ya what... spending €12m on relocating the 1792 centre should be canned immediately and whoever the f*ck makes these decisions needs to get their priorities straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Here is the post from the Friends of St. Patrick's School Enniscorthy Facebook page. :mad::mad:

I have thought long and hard about this post, and whether I should post or not. But I have finally had enough.
    I know St Patrick's students, parents, families, teachers, SNA’s and staff have had enough.
    When I took this job in September 2014 I was shown the plans of our amazing new school in Drumgoold.
    The start date was February 2016, 595 days ago. We waited patiently. This was then pushed back to Spring 2017. We waited patiently and then Summer 2017 and now Spring 2018. We have waited patiently for 595 days. We contacted our local TD’s, they all visited, many published press releases and announced great plans for our new school on local radio and in local papers. We waited patiently.
    I have now made hundreds of phone calls to department officials and architects and we are still waiting. As I drive to work and around this wonderful county I see brand new schools everywhere - well deserved and much needed. But they just intensify my anger as I park in the car park of a ramble of portacabins, on two sites each morning. Neither site has a playground - just imagine that?!
    I don't mean a small playground, I mean no playground for the most vulnerable citizens in our state. No space to play. No roomy classrooms. No proper staff room for the amazing people who work here each day. I am not waiting patiently anymore.
    We need your help. The parents of our amazing students are already working 24/7 jobs, caring brilliantly for their children. They raise money to pay for our buses, for trips, for sensory equipment, for assessments, for gardening and cookery and art equipment, they keep this school working. They are unsung heroes. They are weary and tired and as fed up as I am.
    We need your help, Friends of St Patrick's. We need you to contact your TD’s and say this is a disgrace.
    We need you to publicise this disgrace on local radio and in the local press.
    We need you to contact whoever you can - we need this school built.
    We need you to share this post and let’s all work together.
    The land is bought. The plans are drawn up. Our students deserve this as much, if not more, than any other students in the South East.
    I am not waiting patiently any longer and we need your help.
    Lee Rogers
    Principal St Patrick's Special School

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Why not move the school lock, stock and barrel to the former 1798 Centre as it has plenty of ground around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Heard tonight that St.Senan's has been sold to local business interests including Bert Allen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Heard tonight that St.Senan's has been sold to local business interests including Bert Allen.

New Meanscoil maybe?

Another still from the 1970 movie "Underground" - anybody recognise the location? Could it be in the cathedral or perhaps it is a studio set? Thanks in advance.

Underground%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Another still from the 1970 movie "Underground" - anybody recognise the location? Could it be in the cathedral or perhaps it is a studio set? Thanks in advance.

Underground%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

Confession box looks very like that in the Cathedral. Pews look similar and the cut of the stone wall looks to match as well (cut in for the window)

Thanks, being a wrong footer I've always been shy of going into the cathedral for a look around. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thanks, being a wrong footer I've always been shy of going into the cathedral for a look around. :D

I don't think you'd burst into flames but better to be safe than sorry :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Ahhh, they won't bite you. It's worth having a look inside it's held up really well since the big revamp in 94. The Catholic churches are much more colourful than their COI counterparts.

I'll definitely have a look in now that it's confirmed as the film location. Should I disguise myself? :D

I'll definitely have a look in now that it's confirmed as the film location. Should I disguise myself? :D

Just leave the Audi 80 in Dunnes car park no one should twig you then.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

brilliant move, The Underground" with Robert Goulet it has been years since i saw that.

Navarre wrote: »
    brilliant move, The Underground" with Robert Goulet it has been years since i saw that.

I have it on DVD, dreadful quality it's a transfer from VHS which was recorded from our great piped TV system...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Maybe take of the bowler hat and sash you be grand :)

jca wrote: »
    I have it on DVD, dreadful quality it's a transfer from VHS which was recorded from our great piped TV system...

The original movie was dark in every sense and has been slated all over the place for very poor lighting. There's a recent MGM DVD release and the lighting is no better, but there's plenty of Enniscorthy scenes in it.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The Saucy Butcher is excellent, I used to drive to Wexford to get all my meat there before they moved up.

Some of my personal favourites

Smoked Turkey Burgers
    Black Pepper Sasuages
    Venison Sasuages
    Steak Fajitas (premade with sweet potato)
    Lemon Chicken (premade with sweet potato)

So far, really enjoying their Smoked Turkey Sausages. For a quick snack - heat an Italian roll from Lidl in the oven @ 150 for 5 minutes, put two sausages (each split in half) inside and a few dollops of Lidl's tomato relish.

An increase of 5% in property tax earmarked for a new technology park,Templeshannon redevelopment and a town centre tourist project in Enniscorthy. http://wexfordhub.com/wexford-property-tax-2017/

kneemos wrote: »
    An increase of 5% in property tax earmarked for a new technology park,Templeshannon redevelopment and a town centre tourist project in Enniscorthy. http://wexfordhub.com/wexford-property-tax-2017/

Makes me cringe... an authority with a proven track record of p1ssing money down the drain now want to dip their hand in our pockets and take even more.

"Yep, lets relocate the 1798 centre"
    "Yep, lets renovate the court house again"
    "Yep, lets relocate the zebra crossing we installed last week"
    "Yep, lets install some traffic lights and never turn them on"
    "Yep, lets make the traffic flow this way today and another way a few months later and back to the first shortly after that"
    "Yep, lets dip into the public's pocket and have them pay for it"

There's something fundamentally wrong with this system.

"Town Centre Tourism Project" - what's the betting that'll be an epic waste of money?

This isn't negativity for the sake of being negative... this is negativity based on a track record of f ups. If you went to private investors, you'd have to prove to them that what you're doing will provide a return on investment. What these guys do is just take the money from us and don't have to guarantee a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They are a bunch of wasters that aren't made accountable

Next time council elections come around don't forget to ask how they voted both times for the increases

Easy to spend other people's money:mad:

Its seriously worrying, it'll just go up and up and up, and as mentioned above... no accountability.

Did you take a look at St.Senan's also on that website: http://wexfordhub.com/pictures-st-senans-hospital/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Did you take a look at St.Senan's also on that website: http://wexfordhub.com/pictures-st-senans-hospital/

Not sure if this has already been posted but I found it a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsLD190dgEs

At last a new shop comes to town and it's one that may stay the course.

Vision%2Bby%2BVila%2BRafter%2BStreet.JPG

Meantime the Market Square has recently been further desecrated by Eir - the shop has had new garish signage added which really shouldn't be allowed in a town with aspirations of heritage tourism. Sunglasses needed for this one!

EIR.JPG

The trees growing out of the window sills above the new signs are more attractive!

Elsewhere the new Guardian Office in Slaney Place has had a decent paint job.

GUARDIAN.JPG

However. it's back to absolutely dire signage on the new cafe - yet to open - on Abbey Square.

CAFE.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

However. it's back to absolutely dire signage on the new cafe - yet to open - on Abbey Square.

CAFE.JPG[/quote

Does Enniscorthy need another cafe? There seems to be an awful lot of them, or is that just my opinion?

Taste factory sounds a bit industrial. Not enticing at all.

Factory?? What's that?

addey-thomas-poole-copy.jpg

A nice view of the River Slaney nr.Enniscorthy painted about 100 years ago by Irish artist Joseph Poole Addey (1852-1922), and which sold at auction in Connecticut, USA yesterday for just $125 - sadly not to me. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Read in the slaney news there's an urban play ground approved in behind presentation centre, will be great for the top of the town

Advertisement