Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

trigger26 wrote: »
    Read in the slaney news there's an urban play ground approved in behind presentation centre, will be great for the top of the town

Never really fulfilled its suggested role as a tranquil spot for peaceful reflection. Never seen a sinner come or go from the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pinkfoot1

According to Google the subject of this painting by Joseph Poole Addey is "A view of Haulbowline", a watercolour dated 1900 in the Crawford Art Gallery, Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pinkfoot1

Del.Monte wrote: »
    addey-thomas-poole-copy.jpg

A nice view of the River Slaney nr.Enniscorthy painted about 100 years ago by Irish artist Joseph Poole Addey (1852-1922), and which sold at auction in Connecticut, USA yesterday for just $125 - sadly not to me. :(
    Google got the title of this picture wrong. It is of the River Slaney, not Haulbowline Co. Cork.

Another new park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

kneemos wrote: »
    Another new park.

Where is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ezra_ wrote: »
    Where is that?

At At Senans

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From the weather forum, looking like Wexford has been upgraded to a Status Red weather warning tomorrow with schools ordered to close.
    Stay safe tomorrow folks and make sure anything that can blow around is secured safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Enniscorthy is virtually closed down but no serious wind yet. As usual Dunnes is closed all day but Pettitt's still managed to open (until 10,30am apparently) and scenes inside are like those from an apocalypse movie.

Pre%2BHurricane%2B.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Enniscorthy is virtually closed down but no serious wind yet. As usual Dunnes is closed all day but Pettitt's still managed to open (until 10,30am apparently) and scenes inside are like those from an apocalypse movie.

Pre%2BHurricane%2B.JPG

I was very surprised Dunnes closed. They don't usually care to much about their staffs welfare.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I was very surprised Dunnes closed. They don't usually care to much about their staffs welfare.

They care even less about their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I can't understand the rush to stock up on trolly loads of food for something that's just going to last a day or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Pre%2BHurricane%2B.JPG

What do you mean "as usual Dunnes are closed"? The store only closes 2 days a year. Had someone been hurt on their way to work in dunnes you'd be the first on here giving out about them. As employers go they're a lot better than the standard minimum wage is the only wage Enniscorthy employer.

jca wrote: »
    What do you mean "as usual Dunnes are closed"? The store only closes 2 days a year. Had someone been hurt on their way to work in dunnes you'd be the first on here giving out about them. As employers go they're a lot better than the standard minimum wage is the only wage Enniscorthy employer.

I might well have been on about that too. However, as regards closing I was referring to hours as much as anything. They close at 8pm whereas Pettitt's stay open until 9pm - even the woeful Supervalu Abbey Centre used to manage to stay open until 9pm.

As for customer service, supporting local producers or stocking a wide range of quality products Dunne's are a bad joke.

I might well have been on about that too. However, as regards closing I was referring to hours as much as anything. They close at 8pm whereas Pettitt's stay open until 9pm - even the woeful Supervalu Abbey Centre used to manage to stay open until 9pm.

As for customer service, supporting local producers or stocking a wide range of quality products Dunne's are a bad joke.

An extra opening hour? Seriously? You obviously have a bee in your bonnet over dunnes I'm not going bother any further. If I found myself in the unlucky position to choose between Dunnes or Super Value/Pettitts as my employer I know who I'd be picking.

An extra opening hour? Seriously? You obviously have a bee in your bonnet over dunnes I'm not going bother any further. If I found myself in the unlucky position to choose between Dunnes or Super Value/Pettitts as my employer I know who I'd be picking.

You're the one who brought up the employer issue - not me - I don't like Dunnes for a whole variety of reasons none of which you seem to notice. :rolleyes:

Dunnes don't give anybody decent hours,that's what the strike was for recently. Plus they somehow manage to operate giant stores with only basic foodstuffs,and annoyingly still handing out pennies.

Dunnes don't give anybody decent hours,that's what the strike was for recently. Plus they somehow manage to operate giant stores with only basic foodstuffs,and annoyingly still handing out pennies.

Neither do Pettitts unless you're sucking up to the Managment and you'll still only get minimum wage. Pettitts closed at 10:30 btw

The protestant hall will need some repair. One of many no doubt.

St.Mary's Church is shedding slates and ridge tiles too. Anyone walking about town tonight is taking their lives in their hands as the wind has picked up again and slates are coming off all around.

St.Mary's Church is shedding slates and ridge tiles too. Anyone walking about town tonight is taking their lives in their hands as the wind has picked up again and slates are coming off all around.

That would be dangerous that's a high roof!! The poor aul church institute has taken a hammering in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 cesaro

Hi im in the middle of looking up ancestors and have located some in the shannon, can anyone tell me where fitzsimmons corner is

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nettle

I know I won't be the only person looking for this but anybody got a number of a roofer? Have had serious enough roof damage today and everybody I have phoned has had their phone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Nettle wrote: »
    I know I won't be the only person looking for this but anybody got a number of a roofer? Have had serious enough roof damage today and everybody I have phoned has had their phone off.

Phone signal is gone in areas of Wexford too

trigger26 wrote: »
    Read in the slaney news there's an urban play ground approved in behind presentation centre, will be great for the top of the town

Digger has moved in.

Digger has moved in.

I only hope the local scrotes don't wreck it when it's built.

Speaking of diggers,I see a new roundabout taking shape out the Milehouse Road where the new filling station is to be built.

Work is continuing apace upgrading the water treatment plant,not sure when they'll start digging up the roads from Drumgoold down the Shannon.

Regarding digging etc. it was reported in last weeks Guardian that there'll be a delay in the flood relief scheme.Funding from national level cited as the problem.

I pass this 'thing' on the outside of the shortlived Italian shop (formerly Michael White's) on the Market Square several times a day and it's been like this for well over a month. A real tourist attraction! Despite being just yards away from the Council offices nobody seems to notice or care. Somebody told me that it's a private bin and that's why the council don't remove it. :rolleyes:

BIN.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Does anyone have a recommendation for a pub to watch the Denmark v Ireland game in Enniscorthy. Somewhere that has good food and could reserve a table? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a pub to watch the Denmark v Ireland game in Enniscorthy. Somewhere that has good food and could reserve a table? Thanks

For Food and drink what your really looking at is.

Riverside Park Hotel.................Phone: (053) 923 7800
    The Bailey........................Phone: (053) 923 0353
    Treacys Hotel.......Phone: (053) 923 7798

Advertisement