Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

zerks wrote: »
    Keep meaning to call in and have a look,it's across the street from Astor Electrical.Is there many people in the area into airsoft? It looks like great fun.
    Yeah I know plenty that are into it and more that would be if a shop was handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Jaafa wrote: »
    Yeah I know plenty that are into it and more that would be if a shop was handy.

Yeah there's a good few around interested in it, I wouldn't have sold my gear at the start of the year if there had of been a good local shop and site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

According to an article in this week's Echo there are roads works scheduled to commence in May in the following locations: Kilagoley (absolutely woeful), Munster Hill, The Moyne, and Belfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jpb1974 wrote: »
    According to an article in this week's Echo there are roads works scheduled to commence in May in the following locations: Kilagoley (absolutely woeful), Munster Hill, The Moyne, and Belfield.

Slightly different location but in last weeks papers the local traders in Bunclody are up in arms over the roads through the town being resurfaced-however upon reading through the article,the road will be closed for at most 3 days over the duration of the works.
    I'd gladly sacrifice 3 days to have a decent road to drive on.The company that did the drainage works there are the same crowd that left the road along Hempfield to Clonhaston in such a state and that only got half finished when they eventually decided to repair it.
    There should be some kind of clawback clause written into contracts before these works are started to ensure the finish is up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Thats the place I'm on about, not Drumgoold. Shocking road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

It would have been better if the council repaired these roads before they started rafter street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Took a walk to the end of the Promenade today (as far as the missing bridge) and I have to say I'm not a fan of the concrete path. It is completely incongruous and it's only when you reach the path leading under the railway that you see what the 'walkway' could/should be like. A simple path that blends in with the surroundings - no concrete. Anywhere else that I have walked similar routes this is the typical approach adopted by the authorities. Long, expensive ribbons of concrete through the countryside are a no-no. Okay, so it may become muddy in wet weather - walk somewhere else or come prepared. Incidentally, the amount of people out walking their dogs on the promenade and who let them crap all over the place is unreal - the same place where children play. Other opinions?

railway_lines14.jpg

Above - The public long distance path that links Douglas to Peel (Isle of Man), and which is used by bicycles, walkers and horses is completely unmetalled and the better for it.

More negativity - sorry - but I have to call a spade a spade. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

i'm a runner and I have to say I agree with JD, concrete is a horrible surface. However I'm guessing they are obliged to make it acessible to older people and wheelchairs. Love natural paths but guessing wheelchairs don't. Same as having to put a lift in the castle, necessary evil I'm guessing.

In terms of the debate about negativity, I worked for a US multinational for several years, first thing they do when they scope out a site is check out the local media to see what sort of a place it is. The IDA have already said that Wexford print media is excessively negative relative to the rest of the country (case in point is when Wexford town came 1st for litter free and they printed 'Should have gone to specsavers' and a bag of rubbish on the frontpage! now that is turning a positive ino a nagative)

So some balance and concious is needed in the debate not just 'Everything is cr*p' and whatever anyone does to try and improve the town it's just never good enough, i wouldn't be hanging out for elected officals t be reading these posts, JD is complaining about seats and playgrounds for 2 years and nothing has happened. Much more effective to contact elected officals in person I think - i'm not being funny but have
    any of you tried this route?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wallop 64

Excellent post

Uphill - some good points there. I have contacted plenty of local officials in the past but will put something together again and circulate them ALL. I will report the feedback here. As for the arguments about access for elderly and wheelchair people along the promenade walk.....I mean how many of them are seriously going to want to do the full length of the promenade? As for the lift in the castle - political correctness going OTT in my opinion. You might as well argue that a cable car should be run to the top of Mt.Everest in case a wheel chair bound person or OAP wishes to take in the view. You won't find anybody more sympathetic towards OAPs (sure I'm nearly one myself) or the disabled but I think in some cases their rights are pushed for by the politically correct brigade rather than those affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

How exactly is the lift in the castle OTT? I know it would hardly be called in keeping with the historical surroundings but from what I can gather (and please feel free to correct me) the castle has been changed a lot over various eras by different groups/families/owners.

It may seem like disabled access is something that the PC brigade take too far but speaking as someone whose younger brother was in residential care in Enniscorthy (and wheelchair bound) I and my family would have been bloody grateful for anything that was designed to make getting around easier. Enniscorthy by it's nature is not the easiest town to get about in a wheelchair (think of all the hills and high kerbing), but hey, thats just the luck of the draw geographically. I don't think anyone is silly enough to start complaining about that.

However, when you are faced with having to try and think of somewhere nice to go for a walk/day out/visit the castle it is amazing what a difference these things make.

anamaria - Good points but given that much of the town is still very wheelchair 'unfriendly' I would have thought that whatever the lift cost would have been better spent on fixing up the pavements, pedestrian crossings etc. which are hard enough for able bodied people to negotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

It is true that there are many places where money could be effectively used, however this is always the case. Due to the way funding is allocated it cannot be diverted from the purpose it was awarded. Therefore if a group is allocated funding to install a lift, or fix kerbing (just as examples) they cannnot then decide after receiving the funds to divert it elsewhere even if the need is greater in other areas.

The fact that the walk along the prom is an even surface an wheelchair accessible is wonderful, I know I would have given a lot for that when having to developthe muscles of a weightlifter to push a wheelchair around when taking my bro for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

the wheelchair lift in the castle doesn't just go straight to the roof, it provides access to all the floors. what would the american tourists think if they had to use the stairs? :p Its a tough market out there and they are looking at the bigger picture. People expect higher standards in public exhibitions nowadays.

Enniscorthy - Friday 6th May - The Moyne to Supervalu and Back

Walking out of me parent's place in the Moyne I turned my ankle on their doorstep. Ouch.

Into the car and over the napalm hit Moyne Road. According to the Echo it's going to be fixed soon... start of May... but I won't hold my breath.

Stuck at the bottom of Bohreen Hill, traffic building up heading south from Dublin. At least some hesitant fart isn't in front of me waiting for a written invitation to pull out to be delivered to them by registered post. Sometimes it can take 10-15 minutes to get out here... but I'm lucky this time... maybe a minute, minute and a half and I'm free.

Heading over the new bridge from the Quay an articulated lorry heading from the Wexford Road decides to pull out in front on me... "phucker"... blast my car horn at him. Exact same thing happened earlier this week except with a Bus Eireann Bus... I think they think that if their vehicle exceeds a certain size then they have the right of way... "phuck that".

Up along by Burger Mac... nowhere to park... "phuck it".

Left turn by the AIB bank... someone has gone to O'Leary's for the newspaper and left their car parked in the middle of the road with their "I can park anywhere lights turned on"... a traffic jam ensues up along by Burger Mac.

Finally find a car parking space, Chocolate Soldier is nearby chatting with a punter, have to be quick.

Run to the BOI ATM... "yay, no queue!!!", just one person already at the machine... damn, she puts the card in 3 times and starts programming nuclear missle binary launch codes... "Sorry" she says to me, "No problem" I reply whilst secretly thinking "phuck sake hurry up love".

Look up at the Castle... the windows now look wooden. albeit a bit new... must have been covered in plastic back when the PVC issue was being debated.

Gardai pull up whilst I'm waiting for the missiles to go... "Irish Lung Foundation" scratch card seller outside the post office is put into the back of the squad car, his table, cards, collection box and umbrella are put in the boot. Never liked them scratch card selling mother-phuckers, always had my doubts about them... glad to see the gards making themselves useful too.

Finally get to the ATM and get my dosh... head for Supervalu... they don't have what I want... "phuc it, no cheap steak for tea tonight".

Heading back to the car I walk on a dodgy section of footpath and my ankle goes again.. sore... "phuck it" I cry.

Back in the car another traffic jam by the turn at the AIB... "phuck it" I think to myself and I zip up the right hand lane, bypassing the jam and swooping back into the left hand lane, back on the road to freedom.

So I think... there's going to have to be an artic trying to reverse into Dunnes now... Enniscorthy style Murphy's law... it makes sense - it's Friday and the town is start to turn choc-a-block. But no... there's nothing and I zip along the Island Road and back up Bohreen Hill.

Get to the top and there's someone already there, waiting to negotiate the roundabout, looking to turn left... but they don't seem to understand roundabout rules... 3 opportunities to pull out onto the roundabout come and go... so I have to pull a manoeuvre... shuffling up beside them, past them, onto the roundabout and straight for the Moyne.

Back along the napalm hit Moyne Road... I make it back to the parents.. and herself is there with a Kebab Meat and Fries box from Dennis's... there is a God.

Short of the artic reversing into Dunnes... this could have been the perfect trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

HA good taleJPB:D:D -the joys of driving in Enniscorthy.Can't understand why boy racers love doing laps of the town so much-rev car,stop,rev car stop....to infinity.I hate driving in the town unless it's at night or early morning when all the eejits are in bed and not double parked or pulling out in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Outside the entrance to dunnes, people parking on double yellow lines, in the yellow box, up on the path. Absolute sheer laziness, and i make no apologies for saying that. theres a flippin underground carpark with elevators for god sake.

Munster hill has been like downtown Baghdad for the last 5 months. Less than a week ago the council spent 2 days filling in the potholes 4-5 men there for 2 days. Today there is a contract crew digging up the road and laying new tarmac. A waste of 2 days and 4-5 men last week.

A waste of 2 days and 4-5 men last week.

I think this is what písses most people off... the total and utter waste of time, money and resources with nonsensical arseing around like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

Anyone know how many Chinese restaurants/take-aways are in enniscorthy. Any space in the market for another? or are any for sale?

• Advertisement

Anyone know how many Chinese restaurants/take-aways are in enniscorthy. Any space in the market for another? or are any for sale?

I think there are currently 4 Chinese resteraunts (The Quay, Slaney Street, Market Square, Rafter Street) and there is a 5th shut down at the bottom of Templeshannon.

Edit: I think 'The Vinegar' up in Drumgoold also do Chinese Food.

I think there are currently 4 Chinese resteraunts (The Quay, Slaney Street, Market Square, Rafter Street) and there is a 5th shut down at the bottom of Templeshannon.

Sweet, thanks.

Do you think there would be resistance from the town to another one opening up?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Only if it was excellent food. I think you would have more luck with a Chinese restaurant with high quality food, service and surroundings.

Do you think there would be resistance from the town to another one opening up?

"Resistance" - no, not at all, but personally I feel that if the town were to have another Chinese restaurant/take-out then it needs to be something special... otherwise it'll just end up as more of the same old.

There is a opening for a good Indian restaurant in Enniscorthy I only found out last week that Anar Kali is not an Indian restaurant its actually a Pakistan restaurant.

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Only if it was excellent food. I think you would have more luck with a Chinese restaurant with high quality food, service and surroundings.

I can't be dealing in luck right now... But thanks for the advice. :)

I have an interesting business model whereby I prep the food in one location and create it in another. Thus reducing staffing/training levels, and being able to quality control from a centralised location. It's basically the McDonald-isation of Chinese food. Or more appropriately, SuperMacs. (Better quality of food by a mile).

I can't be dealing in luck right now

Well.. this is Enniscorthy we're talking about... so you'll be needing plenty of it to make a start-up business a success here.

scaller wrote: »
    There is a opening for a good Indian restaurant in Enniscorthy I only found out last week that Anar Kali is not an Indian restaurant its actually a Pakistan restaurant.

There is not much of a market for Indian food in southern Ireland at all from my experience. And people are likely to bundle both Pakistan & Indian cuisine together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I think the Chinese market is flooded in the town tbh. Although I thought that the town had enough chippers also, but Denis's opened and that seems like its doing really well so you never know. Hong Kong kitchen tried and failed miserably recently but best of luck if you do decide to open one.

Theres a new kebab shop opening over in templeshannon where near buy used to be as well.

Some of the best "Indian" food I have ever had has been Pakistani (if that makes sense). Anar Kali is ok, nothing special. It does the trick if I fancy an "Indian".

• Advertisement

All this talk of Indian food put me in mind of this scene from "Good Morning Vietnam" ...

Hot, damn hot - that's what Indian food should be. I used to eat in a restaurant on the Isle of Man called, what else "Churchill's India" , sadly no more - is there a hot Indian restaurant in Enniscorthy or Wexford? :D

Advertisement