Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What is it about Dunnes (Enniscorthy) that annoys me most - the crap selection of everything on offer, the poor customer service, the crass attempt to cash in on the wino element (naggins of spirits on sale at the 'express' checkout at the entrance) or is it because they close every time when they might have to pay overtime to staff? Went down there at 5.30pm tonight - closed - it's not a bank holiday!! Mental note made to spend even less than I already do in the kip. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What is it about Dunnes (Enniscorthy) that annoys me most - the crap selection of everything on offer, the poor customer service, the crass attempt to cash in on the wino element (naggins of spirits on sale at the 'express' checkout at the entrance) or is it because they close every time when they might have to pay overtime to staff? Went down there at 5.30pm tonight - closed - it's not a bank holiday!! Mental note made to spend even less than I already do in the kip. :mad::mad:

It never opens on Easter Sunday. It's also closed Christmas Day and Stephens day.

I think Pettits was the only supermarket open today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dunnes Stores

The Mill Centre, Barrack St, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford
    (053) 923 0222 https://g.co/kgs/kmrjeJ

Not open till 10 am tomorrow apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

It's Easter Sunday, they weren't open today. Nowhere should be open today.

"the crass attempt to cash in on the wino element" - its a business, in fairness they have a right to actually make a profit and having stock where it is handy, if that means at the express area, without having to walk through the whole store, thats a good thing.

It's Easter Sunday, they weren't open today. Nowhere should be open today.

"the crass attempt to cash in on the wino element" - its a business, in fairness they have a right to actually make a profit and having stock where it is handy, if that means at the express area, without having to walk through the whole store, thats a good thing.

Nowhere should be open - is that some new law?

As for stocking naggins inside the door - why not some up market alcohol instead? No, much better to stock stuff for the desperate drinker. Bit like putting all the best selling kids chocolate bars near the tills. Anyway, they will be getting less of my business.

• Advertisement

As for stocking naggins inside the door - why not some up market alcohol instead? No, much better to stock stuff for the desperate drinker. Bit like putting all the best selling kids chocolate bars near the tills. Anyway, they will be getting less of my business.

The vast majority of supermarkets I've been in have the smaller bottles of alcohol behind the express tills.

To be honest you always seem to be complaining about something on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

No, it's not a law, but people should be allowed a day off to spend with families or friends. Work and consumerism is so rampant now that having a day off at Christmas and Easter shouldn't be too much to ask.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The vast majority of supermarkets I've been in have the smaller bottles of alcohol behind the express tills.

To be honest you always seem to be complaining about something on here.

Well thank you. I'm afraid I post anything and everything about Wexford/Enniscorthy and I don't tend to analyse my posting history - you've obviously too much time on your hands.

Well thank you. I'm afraid I post anything and everything about Wexford/Enniscorthy and I don't tend to analyse my posting history - you've obviously too much time on your hands.

Yea Dunnes was closed so I'd some spare time on my hands :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The small naggins and the like are usually found behind a counter,too easy for shoplifters if left on open shelves.
    The wino elements never go into Dunnes, you'll usually find them waiting for the off licence to open in the mornings. Guaranteed that at 10.30am on any given Monday you'll spot them outside Reid's waiting to get their cheap hooch.

• Advertisement

Work going on in the Old ESB office/Barnardo's at the top of Castle Hill.

Work going on in the Old ESB office/Barnardo's at the top of Castle Hill.

And in the former premises of John Garahy solicitors on Castle Street - the tiger is really beginning to roar. :rolleyes:

In other news the Slaney News Freesheet managed to accurately report the ongoing nonsense over the fate of the 1798 Centre - a feat which the Enniscorthy Guardian couldn't manage in their piece.

1798.PNG

https://issuu.com/slaneynews/docs/sn_issuu_96

Where will it end though? The paltry amount that the Council appear to be getting for the place won't buy much property for the proposed new Centre. It won't be shovelled into the Athenaeum that's for sure. Perhaps they could 'store' the contents of the Centre alongside the contents of the Castle Museum mouldering away at Johnstown Castle. Apologies for yet another negative post - perhaps somebody else can put a positive spin on the fiasco.

€325k for the 1798 centre, you'd barely get a decent size house for that. I suppose it's better to see the building put to use than be allowed sit unused which has happened to the Court House despite €750k being pumped into renovations and the doors locked on it.

He had a planning application in to build out in Tommalosset.
    Must have been refused presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The contents of the Castle Museum are stored in the County Archive, well some of them are, I've heard comments about ownership issues some people lent stuff for display and the council/castle kept them so they apparently stay "hidden".

The 1798 centre shame its going though. I think Enniscorthy would be better with one place about 1798 and 1916 rather than multiply places.

The 1798 centre was always a bit of a folly.
    It could never get justifiable numbers in Enniscorthy. Never mind it being a little or lesser known event in our history.

Talk about town that a coffee shop(Insomnia) ,a chemist and Spar are moving into the old Dunnes premises.

Talk about town that a coffee shop(Insomnia) ,a chemist and Spar are moving into the old Dunnes premises.

Haven't heard that one but I won't believe it until I see the builders move in.

Flood relief scheme to begin next January apparently.
    It was originally due to start in 2017.http://www.southeastradio.ie/2018/03/enniscorthy-flood-relief-works-to-begin-next-january/

Potholes already appearing in the new road surface at Bellfield. I await with baited breath for the high quality repair that the council will do.;)

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the craic is with The Hill Bar? A lot of building work going on in it and the facade covered in scaffolding.

Does anyone know what the craic is with The Hill Bar? A lot of building work going on in it and the facade covered in scaffolding.

Owner of the two buildings tarting up with a view to selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Tumbleweed...

This thread is very quiet... :D

Any of my fellow scalders walking for "Darkness into Light" in Enniscorthy this year? hopefully there will be good weather.

I presume Ulster Bank was the busiest premises on Rafter St today ;)

Anyone know when the road at Bessmount/Kiltrea is re-opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

BuboBubo wrote: »

Anyone know when the road at Bessmount/Kiltrea is re-opening?

Hopefully soon , I posted this in the " M11 - Gorey to Enniscorthy " thread a few minutes ago --
    ninja 12 wrote: »
    I just had another look down the old Art Butlers site .

The newly resurfaced road has had road markings added and they're in the process at tidying the edges of the road / verges .

449275.jpg

Apologies for the rubbish picture , taken with my phone , and tried not to get workers in the shot :)

Can't be too long before it's reopened ( hopefully )

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

The road at Bessmount/Kiltrea / the old Art Butler's site has reopened to traffic .

I've put two pics in the " M11 - Gorey to Enniscorthy " thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

ninja 12 wrote: »
    The road at Bessmount/Kiltrea / the old Art Butler's site has reopened to traffic .

I've put two pics in the " M11 - Gorey to Enniscorthy " thread :)

Just passed through there this evening, the snow didn't delay them too much after all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Can someone please tell me that they’re not going to leave the Esmonde Road as it is? It is an actual disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Wellyd wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me that they’re not going to leave the Esmonde Road as it is? It is an actual disgrace

It's shocking did you see the state of the road outside the o Connor chaps house? It looks like the burst the water main and covered it over, bloody cowboys.

jca wrote: »
    It's shocking did you see the state of the road outside the o Connor chaps house? It looks like the burst the water main and covered it over, bloody cowboys.

Jobs like that usually have an RE (resident engineer) from the council on it. I'm sure they'll reinstate the roads later. It's pointless doing it now and digging it up again if a problem is found.
    However if it's left like that, someone has to answer for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Jobs like that usually have an RE (resident engineer) from the council on it. I'm sure they'll reinstate the roads later. It's pointless doing it now and digging it up again if a problem is found.
    However if it's left like that, someone has to answer for it.

For the length of time it’s been closed it should be finished completely. Maybe bam could finish it for them (after the water leak is fixed). To leave the road in such a state right outside a mans gate is dreadful.

Advertisement