Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Well it made the paper. No mention of which Jim Henson creation put it there.

Saw it in the guardian just now, very one eyed article.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looks like the People Before profit/anti Irish Water protestors are the Palestinian flag wavers.
    The usual handful are on the bridge with one.

The WSPCA shop is being brought to court for non payment of rates and is due to close apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fjkeenan/permalink/1210036512465368/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Which shop is that - the one in Slaney Street? It's not mentioned on their FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/South-East-Animal-Rescue-338813226139254/

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Which shop is that - the one in Slaney Street? It's not mentioned on their FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/South-East-Animal-Rescue-338813226139254/

Slaney Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

kneemos wrote: »
    The WSPCA shop is being brought to court for non payment of rates and is due to close apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fjkeenan/permalink/1210036512465368/

That's the 'South East Animal Rescue' charity shop. They aren't associated in any way with the WSPCA, who run their charity shop in Wexford town.

How do so many charity shops remain open? Most of them stock pure junk, selling for a paltry sum. I realise their stock comes from freely donated stuff, but it must be difficult to make serious money whilst paying rent, rates, energy costs, insurance, accounting etc. Plus - Enniscorthy is riddled with them.

I thought shops with charity status were exempt from rates?

I thought shops with charity status were exempt from rates?

Apparently correct.

The plot thickens

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/removal-of-rate-relief-from-some-charity-shops-35468774.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone else hear the ads on Today FM for the Riverside Park Hotel? No mention of Enniscorthy in it but does mention Wexford, keeping it vague I suppose until you hit the website.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone else hear the ads on Today FM for the Riverside Park Hotel? No mention of Enniscorthy in it but does mention Wexford, keeping it vague I suppose until you hit the website.

Heard it. Monart do the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hi All,

We are looking at making a move to that neck of the woods, near to ferns / eniscorthy area. Could you tell me, would you recommend the area? Having read through the thread I see you may have an issue with members of a certain mobile community.

Are you seeing much in the way of regeneration? Job creation?
    What are the secondary schools like in the area (for those who have kids in them)?
    Is ferns in the catchment area for Enniscorthy secondary schools?
    Is there a big issue with antisocial behaviour?

We are looking in this area and Duncormick / Rathangan / Kilmore quay etc. So any info on either of these areas would also be helpful.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ferns unfortunately won't be linked to the new bypass.
    As much as I give out about Enniscorthy,it's not a bad spot and has 3 secondary schools,2 are single sex and there's the Technical college. Regeneration plans are in place for the town and hopefully the opening of the new bypass next summer will see those plans push on. The East side of the town has a large "ethnic community". By and large they don't cause the hassle we see in other parts of Ireland.
    Duncormick,Rathangan are very rural so if you are thinking of moving to that area you'd need to take that into consideration as you'll spend a lot of time driving everywhere.

Ferns unfortunately won't be linked to the new bypass.
    As much as I give out about Enniscorthy,it's not a bad spot and has 3 secondary schools,2 are single sex and there's the Technical college. Regeneration plans are in place for the town and hopefully the opening of the new bypass next summer will see those plans push on. The East side of the town has a large "ethnic community". By and large they don't cause the hassle we see in other parts of Ireland.
    Duncormick,Rathangan are very rural so if you are thinking of moving to that area you'd need to take that into consideration as you'll spend a lot of time driving everywhere.

Many thanks for the reply, we are looking outside of the towns so not overly concerned but good to know as much as possible. We live in kildare at present in a rural enough area, just a shop, pub, church, NS etc. Are there any smaller communities around the tincurry / ballydangan with similar services or is it all into ferns / enniscorthy for a loaf of bread?

Do you know where the new M11 link will be? Clavass junction?

I am not planning to work in Dublin as I am now but possibly wexford or gorey, possibly as north as arklow at a push. Same as My OH. Don't want to have more than a 40 min commute each way.

Would anyone know what school transport services are available in the area also?

Re duncormick areas, yep, we kind of figured that but again its what we are after, we would ideally like to have a rural-ish home where is is nice and quiet etc. with a decent bit of land I.E. Up to 1 acre. Close to the sea is a big draw for us but I know there is no NS in duncormick and its a bus for primary and secondary schools to rathangan.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ElKavo wrote: »
    Many thanks for the reply, we are looking outside of the towns so not overly concerned but good to know as much as possible. We live in kildare at present in a rural enough area, just a shop, pub, church, NS etc. Are there any smaller communities around the tincurry / ballydangan with similar services or is it all into ferns / enniscorthy for a loaf of bread?

Do you know where the new M11 link will be? Clavass junction?

I am not planning to work in Dublin as I am now but possibly wexford or gorey, possibly as north as arklow at a push. Same as My OH. Don't want to have more than a 40 min commute each way.

Would anyone know what school transport services are available in the area also?

Re duncormick areas, yep, we kind of figured that but again its what we are after, we would ideally like to have a rural-ish home where is is nice and quiet etc. with a decent bit of land I.E. Up to 1 acre. Close to the sea is a big draw for us but I know there is no NS in duncormick and its a bus for primary and secondary schools to rathangan.
    Thanks

Ferns afaik is serviced by school buses. You are only ten minutes from Gorey and the same to Enniscorthy. Tincurry just out the road from Ferns,nice area and rural but not too rural.

Ferns catchment area for secondary school is FCJ Bunclody. A really good mixed school. Ferns is a nice village, with good access to Gorey and Dublin to the north, and Enniscorthy and Wexford to the south. Good GAA community there also.

Heard it. Monart do the same thing.

Yeh they say "in the heart of Wexford" but don't mention the word "Enniscorthy"

Disappointing

Ferns catchment area for secondary school is FCJ Bunclody. A really good mixed school. Ferns is a nice village, with good access to Gorey and Dublin to the north, and Enniscorthy and Wexford to the south. Good GAA community there also.

Thats great info, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Gardai have appealed for witnesses to the horrific crash in Blackstoops last week. With so many heart-breaking stories in the news at the moment this appeal may not get noticed so thought I would post it here in case anyone can help.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/renewed-appeal-for-witnesses-to-wexford-crash-in-which-woman-19-died-845686.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I see on Facebook a chap who has photographed 50 empty shops in the town. You'd never realize the number is so high until you stop and look through all the photos.

John Boland Photography

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1802953876429108&id=398703466854163

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I see on Facebook a chap who has photographed 50 empty shops in the town. You'd never realize the number is so high until you stop and look through all the photos.

John Boland Photography

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1802953876429108&id=398703466854163

Tesco and Lidl made attempts at progress but were shot down.

Bart's charity shop is closing today as well according to facebook.

• Advertisement

Tesco and Lidl made attempts at progress but were shot down.

Bart's charity shop is closing today as well according to facebook.

I've officially boycott Lidl... word of warning, don't ever buy anything reasonably expensive in there. Almost a month now trying to get a €250 power washer issue resolved, thing broke down after 6 days, store wanted nothing to do with it, dealing with phone support, might as well be p1ssing again the wall.

I've officially boycott Lidl... word of warning, don't ever buy anything reasonably expensive in there. Almost a month now trying to get a €250 power washer issue resolved, thing broke down after 6 days, store wanted nothing to do with it, dealing with phone support, might as well be p1ssing again the wall.

The seller is the one responsible for defective goods.

Yep Lidl... store wanted nothing to do with it, was told to call Lidl customer service. About six calls and four weeks later and going nowhere... a total joke. It'll get sorted one way or another, whether Lidl like it or not.

Sad thing is, they're too short sighted to see that they've lost way more than €250 by me refusing to shop there anymore.

Son's PS4 from Argos died after about 6 months. In and out of Argos within 5 minutes with a brand new console in hand... that's how you keep customers happy. Lidl are a joke... just stick with the cheap bananas and other crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yes and the likes of Lidl and Aldi used to swop defective for new or give refund. But that's a good few years ago. They then came up with this scheme that you have to deal with another agency who will repair etc.

I've never been able to square how they do this in light of consumer protection laws but seemingly it must be legal as they've been at it a good while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

John Boland Photography

That's pretty shocking, isn't it. The steady decline of a solid rural Irish town. And one still with a good flow of people through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Council and their outrageous rates are the root cause of a lot of the problems, that and a few gombeen merchant princes who own half the town and are content to sit on vacant properties. Online shopping has played a part but given a fair playing field retailers could adapt to the times we are in. What do most retailers get in return for their rates?

They have a 28 or 60 returns policy (depending) that actually doesn’t supersede Irish and eu consumer protection law. Point that out

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yes and the likes of Lidl and Aldi used to swop defective for new or give refund. But that's a good few years ago. They then came up with this scheme that you have to deal with another agency who will repair etc.

I've never been able to square how they do this in light of consumer protection laws but seemingly it must be legal as they've been at it a good while now.

Yep... and they think I'm going to empty it of petrol and oil, take it apart, package it and arrange have it sent to Germany... not going to happen. Thing bust after 6 days having had problems every single day in the lead up to that... that's grounds for having your money back, if the item was defective right from the get go.

Their "customer service" is a total and utter joke... even after agreeing to go through their f-cked up repair process at one stage, nobody called me to arrange same. I'm now dealing with a manager and he keeps promising X, Y and Z and then disappears as soon as the phone call ends.

Lidl first, customer second is the way they do things. They're a joke... lesson learned.

vicwatson wrote: »
    They have a 28 or 60 returns policy (depending) that actually doesn’t supersede Irish and eu consumer protection law. Point that out

They said something about "petrol engine goods" don't fall under the cool off period thingy. I'm not even cooling off here... POS was faulty from the get go.

• Advertisement

for that money you'd've gotten a top class karcher.

Advertisement