Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jpb1974 wrote: »
    They said something about "petrol engine goods" don't fall under the cool off period thingy. I'm not even cooling off here... POS was faulty from the get go.

Yeh could be that alright. Their website has the warranty details on it, I’ll try find

In addition to your consumer Statutory Rights:

Problem With An Item?

YOU ARE COVERED!
    • Within 60 Days
    • With proof of purchase

Any item that is not covered by a manufacturer's guarantee will be automatically covered by our 60 day guarantee.

Change Your Mind?

NO PROBLEM!
    • Within 28 days
    • With proof of purchase
    • With all parts labels and packaging
    • If the item is fit for sale

We are happy to refund you!

Please Note!

Our 60 day Problem with an Item Policy and our 28 day Change of Mind Policy do not apply to fresh or frozen foods, briefs, boxers, swimwear and selected electrical goods and media devices including but not limited to PCs, tablets, mobile devices, laptops, mobile top ups and clearance lines.. It will be indicated in store if selected electrical & media devices are not covered by our return policies.

Should you have any problems with a selected electrical good or media device, please contact our Customer Services Team who will be happy to help you: http://www.lidl.ie/contact or 1800 20 10 80. Lidl will ensure that your legal rights are upheld at all times

For problems or queries regarding fresh or frozen foods, briefs, boxers or swimwear please visit your local store and ensure you bring proof of purchase.

If, pursuant to your statutory rights, you are returning a product that holds personal data (i.e. mobile phone, laptops, tablets, hard drives, cameras, SD Cards etc.) it is your responsibility to remove the information from the product prior to us receiving it as we are not in a position to remove any data on such items.

Please check out our 'Refund and Returns FAQ' section for more information.

Given the above I think you should insist on your consumer rights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

vicwatson wrote: »
    Given the above I think you should insist on your consumer rights

Yep, was just on their website reading that same info - I think you're spot on.

This one is good -
    We hope that there will be no problems with your purchase, however if you do have an issue with an item you may be covered under the manufacturer's guarantee.

Please check the warranty information received with your product - this may vary across different manufacturers. If you are covered they may be able to offer you a product repair or replacement. Please note you will need your proof of purchase when dealing with the product manuafacturer.

If you require further assistance, please contact our Customer Services team who will put you in contact with the product supplier.

They try and flog you off to the manufacturer... yet the sale/purchase agreement was between them/you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That's pretty shocking, isn't it. The steady decline of a solid rural Irish town. And one still with a good flow of people through it.

The problem with the flow of people through it is that the congestion breaks people's hearts. I times a drive from the Cathedral to Templeshannon the other day - 25 minutes and it wasn't even peak time. It takes less time to drive from Enniscorthy to Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The Council and their outrageous rates are the root cause of a lot of the problems, that and a few gombeen merchant princes who own half the town and are content to sit on vacant properties. Online shopping has played a part but given a fair playing field retailers could adapt to the times we are in. What do most retailers get in return for their rates?

They get very little in return for their rates, unless you count the Rafter St re-vamp ;)

It's a sad state of affairs if even the charity shops are closing up (Barts and S.E.A.R.).

But what is really needed in Enniscorthy? There are pharmacies galore, hairdressers, discount/pound shops, charity shops, cafe's, chippers, pubs, and very little else. Are these the only shops who can actually survive in Enniscorthy - genuine question!

I've heard people suggest Iceland would be a welcome addition to the town (I don't see the appeal of that shop personally) British chain stores? Something like LeisureMax in Wexford maybe? I'm stumped tbh.

So many have tried and failed to set up business in Enniscorthy, failing not only due to exorbitant rates, but low footfall. I'll admit, I like online shopping - great for shift workers like me.

Lastly, we all know who the merchant princes are (love that moniker btw) - how are they surviving? With their empty decaying shops, and low sales? They are presumably paying rates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

@ BuboBubo

Rates are only payable on active business premises. If you have the premises 'nominally' available to rent no charges are applicable - no matter how outrageous the rent.

I give out about this issue regularly because I am directly affected by it and would like to open a shop in town but the rates/rent situation make it a suicidal option, I'm not a 'merchant' prince', more of a 'merchant pauper'. Much less hassle to trade online and off the grid. :(

Curious that many of the shops advertised to rent - with signs in their windows - are not to be found on the estate agents websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

@ BuboBubo

Rates are only payable on active business premises. If you have the premises 'nominally' available to rent no charges are applicable - no matter how outrageous the rent.

I give out about this issue regularly because I am directly affected by it and would like to open a shop in town but the rates/rent situation make it a suicidal option, I'm not a 'merchant' prince', more of a 'merchant pauper'. Much less hassle to trade online and off the grid. :(

Curious that many of the shops advertised to rent - with signs in their windows - are not to be found on the estate agents websites.

What sort or shop would you like to open Del? Be interesting to hear what people actually think could be successful in Enniscorthy.

sweeper.jpg

Another thing that irks me about Enniscorthy is the street cleaning. Expensive, hired in, road sweepers tour the town cleaning the already clean roads while the pavements are left untouched and covered in dog ****, broken glass and gum. :mad:

TitianGerm wrote: »
    What sort or shop would you like to open Del? Be interesting to hear what people actually think could be successful in Enniscorthy.

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you! That said, there's so few shops left in the town the world is your oyster - a 'good' bookshop; a music/dvd/games shop; antiques; a 'good' toy shop; a computer/tech shop; a good shop selling exclusively Irish made products - i.e. the opposite to John Kavanagh's 'Chinese' Slaneyside Pottery/Fancy Goods shop. There's a few ideas for you without revealing my own area. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

@ BuboBubo

As of this year Wexford Co. Council are charging owners 10% of the total rates that would be due from an occupier on vacant premises, just FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A proper newsagents in the town centre would do well also I reackon.

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you! That said, there's so few shops left in the town the world is your oyster - a 'good' bookshop; a music/dvd/games shop; antiques; a 'good' toy shop; a computer/tech shop; a good shop selling exclusively Irish made products - i.e. the opposite to John Kavanagh's 'Chinese' Slaneyside Pottery/Fancy Goods shop. There's a few ideas for you without revealing my own area. :D

I honestly don't think a bookshop would work, antique shops have failed before, as have tech and game shops (although I'd love a mix of gaming/tech/pc shop)

A toy shop might be an idea but I'd say the Bookshop do have a good selection there and lots would go to Ken Black in Wexford. It'd have to be very competitively priced and I don't think the mark up on toys would be high enough?

I'd like to see another sports shop in town and I think a Penny's and River Island/TopShop might do well enough here.

If you could get the likes of Penney's into the old Dunnes the footfall in town would triple over night.

cython wrote: »
    As of this year Wexford Co. Council are charging owners 10% of the total rates that would be due from an occupier on vacant premises, just FYI.

What do ratepayers receive in return for their rates - apart from the wasteful street cleaning mentioned in another of my posts? It would be cheaper to do away with local councils, councillors and the huge number of pen pushers/managers and privatise (or reallocate to another arm of the State) whatever it is that they actually do.

I honestly don't think a bookshop would work, antique shops have failed before, as have tech and game shops (although I'd love a mix of gaming/tech/pc shop)

A toy shop might be an idea but I'd say the Bookshop do have a good selection there and lots would go to Ken Black in Wexford. It'd have to be very competitively priced and I don't think the mark up on toys would be high enough?

I'd like to see another sports shop in town and I think a Penny's and River Island/TopShop might do well enough here.

If you could get the likes of Penney's into the old Dunnes the footfall in town would triple over night.

Nothing will work if the rates nonsense continues. The town has gone over the tipping point i.e. fewer shops = less footfall = fewer shops = the end.

Nothing will work if the rates nonsense continues. The town has gone over the tipping point i.e. fewer shops = less footfall = fewer shops = the end.

A bigger chain store can absorb the rates.

I think we're in a catch 22 situation, the council need the rates but the businesses need a reduction. If there are more shops then we might see the rates come down.

Anyone looking to open a shop/business should also be aware of Business Start Up Relief (Revenue scheme on Income Tax). Social Welfare also have a scheme where you can still get your regular payments for three years if you start your own business (payments will be on a sliding scale). You can also apply for grants from your local enterprise office, the grants can be towards professional services, training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

What do ratepayers receive in return for their rates - apart from the wasteful street cleaning mentioned in another of my posts? It would be cheaper to do away with local councils, councillors and the huge number of pen pushers/managers and privatise (or reallocate to another arm of the State) whatever it is that they actually do.

Oh, I don't dispute that the rates don't offer good "value for money" to businesses in the town. However, given the levying of a percentage of the the overall rates on vacant premises is a change this year (and hence many wouldn't be aware of it), it's worth being aware of. Ultimately it smacks more of trying to make up a shortfall due to the scarcity of active businesses as opposed to incentivising getting businesses into the premises though.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

The business park out beside St Sennans was supposed to have started last November but now Guardians reporting council is still looking at phase 1 rollout. smacks of drip feeding progress till next year when council election is on.

A bigger chain store can absorb the rates.

I think we're in a catch 22 situation, the council need the rates but the businesses need a reduction. If there are more shops then we might see the rates come down.

Anyone looking to open a shop/business should also be aware of Business Start Up Relief (Revenue scheme on Income Tax). Social Welfare also have a scheme where you can still get your regular payments for three years if you start your own business (payments will be on a sliding scale). You can also apply for grants from your local enterprise office, the grants can be towards professional services, training etc.

On a personal level I know of all these schemes, but it still comes down to the rates and landlords who own premises trying to pay mortgages on them and extracting the maximum from tenants. I know people who have closed up their bricks and mortar operations and moved online to avoid rates/rent etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

I am not from Enniscorthy but spend some time there, what the town badly needs is a Penneys/River Island/Gamestop/etc, not more pound shops or Iceland.
    Something to at least attract footfall into the area.
    The old Dunnes being vacant has killed Rafter Street, as has the pedestrianisation of the street.
    But lets be honest, Wexford is a far better shopping town. Both in terms of choice and layout. Rafter Street used to be much more vibrant than it is now when there were cars driving on it. I think the council made a balls of the street. At least they should have left parking on one side, even if they wanted to pedestrianise some of it.
    Maybe the new bypass will help Enniscorthy though? I would be put off by the traffic in to the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The problem with the flow of people through it is that the congestion breaks people's hearts.
    Maybe the new bypass will help Enniscorthy though? I would be put off by the traffic in to the place.

I guess that's the big question. What effect will a bypass have on Enniscorthy? It could go either way. On the positive option, Mullingar was bypassed and went into a temporary decline but now thrives. But you also see smaller towns/ villages where a bypass is terminal for local businesses.

My guess and I could well be wrong is that in large part the traffic passing through Enniscorthy now is not stopping and is of no real benefit apart to the filling stations. With that largely removed, it'll be potentially pleasanter and more attractive. But a lot depends on things like free parking, rates, mixture of development and of course if people in the town and rural hinterland support businesses there.

My guess and I could well be wrong is that in large part the traffic passing through Enniscorthy now is not stopping and is of no real benefit apart to the filling stations.

Agreed... the bus stop shop and the filling station on the Island Road will probably be hit, I'd imagine very little impact on anything else. I reckon the Applegreen in Ferns could be obliterated... place is booming at the moment, but Ferns will be dead as a door nail once bypassed. Camolin the same.

Cantona is right though.... getting around Enniscorthy is horrific and it puts me off going into the town, I for one am hoping that the bypass will alleviate a lot of the traffic issues.

I'd also agree with the sentiment that rates are killing local business. I'd rather have an extra 50 shops doing well with very low rates, than 50 empty units doing nothing and a handful of shops paying high rates. Id imagine it is very hard to turn a reasonably decent profit in Enniscorthy, and that's before you fork out thousands in rates. How policy makers can't see this is beyond me.

Also, regarding traffic congestion... and as many times as we've all said it, I'll say it again -

Cars parking in the bus stop on the Quay need to be made an example of. It's constant chaos down there... day in, day out... and I've never, ever, ever seen any enforcement agency do a thing about it. Having a pair of Gardai down there for two weeks, in an unmarked car, dishing out instant fines would easily pay their salary and every other gardai's salary in the Enniscorthy station

BTW. A couple of weeks ago

Car parked smack bang in the middle of the road outside Kehoe's pub blocking traffic heading south to Wexford at circa 6pm.

I better be careful here as our resident pseudo mod might get me, but... car was a Toyota Avensis... so no prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BTW. A couple of weeks ago

Car parked smack bang in the middle of the road outside Kehoe's pub blocking traffic heading south to Wexford at circa 6pm.

I better be careful here as our resident pseudo mod might get me, but... car was a Toyota Avensis... so no prizes.

Kehoes and an Avensis, doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out who they are. ;)
    "Ah sure boss, I'm just going to be a few minutes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Agreed... the bus stop shop and the filling station on the Island Road will probably be hit, I'd imagine very little impact on anything else. I reckon the Applegreen in Ferns could be obliterated... place is booming at the moment, but Ferns will be dead as a door nail once bypassed. Camolin the same.

Presumably buses will still pull in to the town centre? Well at least you'd hope so. Mind you nothing would surprise me with BE. Take a main town like Portlaoise, they pulled their stop of that for the Cork-Dublin bus!

Presumably buses will still pull in to the town centre? Well at least you'd hope so. Mind you nothing would surprise me with BE. Take a main town like Portlaoise, they pulled their stop of that for the Cork-Dublin bus!

Sure nobody gets the Bus Eireann buses anyway bar social welfare recipients going to Arklow or Wexford.....

Sure nobody gets the Bus Eireann buses anyway bar social welfare recipients going to Arklow or Wexford.....

Absolute tosh - why would you even waste time posting such a thing?

Absolute tosh - why would you even waste time posting such a thing?

Why so? Everybody I know uses Wexford Bus. Far better service, better value, what is tosh about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

€10.90 to Wexford on BE the last time I used it.

Advertisement