Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

"They expect it to grow from year to year".... Until recently when it turned into a glorified field day.

I remember last year when a visitor from Cork asked me "is this it?" Unfortunately all I could say was yes.
    The travellers don't even bother with it any more. They were a big part of it before with lines and lines of stalls selling stuff.
    A huge rethink is needed or it's bye bye Strawberry Festival.

Why not join the committee and engage with them? Offer your help, help it grow and develop. Be positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

jca wrote: »
    Nobody knew it was on which didn't help their cause.

I knew it was on, when I walked into the Market Square on Saturday night!! I had to ask my friends in the pub "Is the Strawberry Fair on"?

But I think many of these festivals are going to die a sad death. Unfortunately, young people aren't bothered by them.

But sure, roll on the Eileen Arron Festival anyway :)

I knew it was on, when I walked into the Market Square on Saturday night!! I had to ask my friends in the pub "Is the Strawberry Fair on"?

But I think many of these festivals are going to die a sad death. Unfortunately, young people aren't bothered by them.

But sure, roll on the Eileen Arron Festival anyway :)

Is that still on in Bunclody?

Is that still on in Bunclody?

Not a notion, I'd suspect that's where the stalls have gone if it is! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Why not join the committee and engage with them? Offer your help, help it grow and develop. Be positive.

People have tried got nowhere with "ideas above their station"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Strawberry Fair is dead, only romantics want to hold onto it for historic purposes. Do they even sell strawberries wherever its located anymore?

As for committees, I'd love to sit in on whatever committee makes some of the decisions regarding the town so I could add a sprinkle of common sense to proceedings e.g.

"No, that zebra crossing placement is extremely dangerous"

"Easy, police illegal parking there and many of the traffic jams will reduce"

"That one way system just adds to traffic congestion"

"No, you don't need to dig up a perfectly nice piece of land and add some random ****ty plants that will never be maintained"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Monday 11th June - the Enniscorthy Flood Defence Scheme is being launched at the Athenaeum. The good, the great and their hangers on will be in early for a knees-up/launch and the great unwashed - you and me - can get a look at this latest waste of public money from 2.00pm. It will be there for a week before moving to the library for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Monday 11th June - the Enniscorthy Flood Defence Scheme is being launched at the Athenaeum. The good, the great and their hangers on will be in early for a knees-up/launch and the great unwashed - you and me - can get a look at this latest waste of public money from 2.00pm. It will be there for a week before moving to the library for a couple of weeks.

You can guarantee that one person in particular will have their picture in a local publication attending the launch despite having zero input or knowledge of anything to do with the project.

You can guarantee that one person in particular will have their picture in a local publication attending the launch despite having zero input or knowledge of anything to do with the project.

Queen of Rapps-Starlights GAA club and Slaney News?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

:pac:

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Queen of Rapps-Starlights GAA club and Slaney News?

****ing does my head in. And her writing is brutal.

Not that I'm a vindictive person but I do have a long, long memory and thus certain businesses in the town do not, and never will, enjoy my patronage.

One of these businesses, My Sport in Castle Street, has had a totally dysfunctional alarm system for at least ten years now. Last night, for the umteenth time, the alarm went off for an hour followed by a 5 minute break and then another half hour of the alarm. Some of us have to live here! Result = I buy all my rugby shirts from Elverys in Dublin and will not cross the My Sports threshold again.

My Sport joins John Kavanagh (the empty shop entrepreneur); Astor Electrics and The Riverside Park Hotel on my ignore list. Their loss not mine and what goes around comes around - ask the Irish Times who have been on my list for more than 12 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Not that I'm a vindictive person but I do have a long, long memory and thus certain businesses in the town do not, and never will, enjoy my patronage.

One of these businesses, My Sport in Castle Street, has had a totally dysfunctional alarm system for at least ten years now. Last night, for the umteenth time, the alarm went off for an hour followed by a 5 minute break and then another half hour of the alarm. Some of us have to live here! Result = I buy all my rugby shirts from Elverys in Dublin and will not cross the My Sports threshold again.

My Sport joins John Kavanagh (the empty shop entrepreneur); Astor Electrics and The Riverside Park Hotel on my ignore list. Their loss not mine and what goes around comes around - ask the Irish Times who have been on my list for more than 12 years now.
    I have to say, aside from your alarm issue, that Mysport is one of the only shops in town that I do use and I would miss if it were gone. They are also very reasonably priced for most items. The staff are nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

TheChevron wrote: »
    I have to say, aside from your alarm issue, that Mysport is one of the only shops in town that I do use and I would miss if it were gone. They are also very reasonably priced for most items. The staff are nice too.

Ditto, it's a fantastic sports shop, they really know their stuff in there. But a constantly blaring alarm would drive anyone to insanity.

The only shop I avoid is the electrical goods shop (on the corner) that tried to rip me off over a tv years ago. They had the wrong price on it apparently and wanted an extra £150 for it. "Oh I'm so sorry! that price was for a tv over there, someone must have put it on this one by mistake". Had to demand my Laser card back TWICE whilst they pleaded with me to buy it. No chance.

The Hotel (on the prom) I was only ever there for the odd wedding, haven't heard anything good bad or indifferent about it tbh.

Did you try say anything to them about their shoddy alarm? I often find the direct approach is better than going onto a website and ranting about it.
    I agree with the above, I think it is an excellent shop and I would be sorry to see it gone. Calm down and go talk to them about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Yawn. . Typical Enniscorthy civil war, keep the fight going at all costs attitude. Try being an adult and going into the shop with an adult attitude telling them what's happening at night.

jca wrote: »
    Yawn. . Typical Enniscorthy civil war, keep the fight going at all costs attitude. Try being an adult and going into the shop with an adult attitude telling them what's happening at night.

Thank you for your 'grown up' advice. Perhaps I will call in but I have no wish to have a row with them. You think that they aren't aware of their feckin alarm going off repeatedly over a ten year period. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it would suit you better if nobody said anything on this thread like the bulk of other Wexford threads - head down and pretend it isn't happening. In the overall scheme of things the alarm is one of my lesser problems but it's still a pain in the neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thank you for your 'grown up' advice. Perhaps I will call in but I have no wish to have a row with them. You think that they aren't aware of their feckin alarm going off repeatedly over a ten year period. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it would suit you better if nobody said anything on this thread like the bulk of other Wexford threads - head down and pretend it isn't happening. In the overall scheme of things the alarm is one of my lesser problems but it's still a pain in the neck.

You're the one on an internet forum moaning about it, which, in the eyes on the shop is the equivalent of saying nothing:confused: No it wouldn't suit me better to say nothing, quite the opposite in fact. A screaming alarm is enough to put anyone in the mental, if it was keeping me awake at night I'd be in the shop first thing. Maybe ask them for a phone number you can ring when it goes off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,966 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry you seem a bit weird that you cannot actually speak to them on the phone even.

Have you considered they don't know or do you actually revel in the misery that is the alarm sound...

I'm thinking the latter

listermint wrote: »
    Sorry you seem a bit weird that you cannot actually speak to them on the phone even.

Have you considered they don't know or do you actually revel in the misery that is the alarm sound...

I'm thinking the latter

Can you read plain English - the alarm has been going off frequently for at least ten years and they don't know about it. I never mentioned not being able to speak to them on the phone - that's your own fabrication.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

I'm thinking the latter

I call that the Joe Duffy mentality! Complain about it rather than calling them up or calling in to them saying "Lads, will yaz sort out the alarm for god sake".

And the lads in that shop are probably the most approachable shop in the town, there are other businesses where it would end up in an argument.

I call that the Joe Duffy mentality! Complain about it rather than calling them up or calling in to them saying "Lads, will yaz sort out the alarm for god sake".

And the lads in that shop are probably the most approachable shop in the town, there are other businesses where it would end up in an argument.

Well, I'm afraid I don't generally suffer from the 'Joe Duffy' mentality as my fans on Boards will know and I almost always go for the Organ Grinder rather than his monkey. However, in the case of My Sport it's like a next door neighbour and as several here have said the owner's a nice chap but is he thick, mean or lazy. Why can't he get the alarm sorted out after all these years? As for getting a number to ring when the alarm goes off - assuming I got one - what difference would it make as somebody always turns up eventually to switch it off. Anyway, I'm off now to ring Joe Duffy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Joe Duffy, Go away will ya.

Its Wexford we ring Alan Corcoran with our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The flood defence drawings are available for download.

http://enniscorthyfds.ie/index.php/2016-public-display/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

MySport aren't there 10 years, blaming them for 10 years of woe is hardly fair. If they're renting the premises then it's the owners fault, surely not theirs?

Decent shop, always a good experience for me. Recommended.

Can we leave "My Sport" for now and I'll come back with a full report even if it means falling out with my neighbours. :)

th?id=OIP.yPg9l6qbZa5rsj7tV9LfGQAAAA

In the meantime some of you won't be surprised that I'm also against the so-called Flood Relief Scheme and straight off and leaving out everything else - it looks like all the mature trees on the Shannon Quay are to be replaced by saplings - or is that just an artist's impression. The glass quay walls are going to look great when they have been keyed by the village idiots - think bus shelter and you get the picture.

Two I've boycott -

Lidl - my pressure washer saga continues, customer service hotline is a total and utter shambles. 5 weeks now and the store finally took it back on Saturday. That's only half the battle... I'm betting it'll be a couple of months before I get a replacement with plenty more hardship in-between. Lesson learned.. stick to the cheapo groceries only.

Modern Fashions - bought a sweater in there as a teen (circa 25+ years ago), washed once and the thing shrunk something unreal. Brought it back and was treated like a moron by the owner, left the store with a sweater that never fit me again. Never, ever set foot inside the shop again after that. I don't hold a bitter grudge, just not arsed with the place so spend my money elsewhere :)

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Two I've boycott -

Lidl - my pressure washer sage continues, customer service hotline is a total and utter shambles. 5 weeks now and the store finally took it back on Saturday. That's only half the battle... I'm betting it'll be a couple of months before I get a replacement with plenty more hardship in-between. Lesson learned.. stick to the cheapo groceries only.

Modern Fashions - bought a sweater in there as a teen (circa 25+ years ago), washed once and the thing shrunk something unreal. Brought it back and was treated like a moron by the owner, left the store with a sweater that never fit me again. Never, ever set foot inside the shop again after that. I don't hold a bitter grudge, just not arsed with the place so spend my money elsewhere :)

And yet John from Modern Fashions is a nice guy - go figure. :D

• Advertisement

And yet John from Modern Fashions is a nice guy - go figure. :D

Go figure what? Never said he wasn't a nice guy. Other than to see him, I don't really know him to be honest.

I went to school and university with one of the Kavanaghs and would be friendly enough with the family. Don't have bad word to say about John myself, always says hello when I meet him. So, I dunno.. go figure that I guess ;)

Advertisement