Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It's a pity some of the places ye don't boycott don't sell lives because ye could do with two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

jca wrote: »
    It's a pity some of the places ye don't boycott don't sell lives because ye could do with two.

You're the man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

jpb1974 wrote: »
    MySport aren't there 10 years, blaming them for 10 years of woe is hardly fair. If they're renting the premises then it's the owners fault, surely not theirs?

Decent shop, always a good experience for me. Recommended.

My Sport is around since 2002, was Castle Sports first though, but not sure if their current premises was always their home.

And John from Modern Fashions is a very nice fella

You're the man ;)

With a life...

With a life...

... who know us all so well and can easily pass judgement :D

• Advertisement

... who know us all so well and can easily pass judgement :D

With the standard Enniscorthy begrudgery/ civil war mentality being spewed all over this thread I'm glad I don't know ye.

With the standard Enniscorthy begrudgery/ civil war mentality being spewed all over this thread I'm glad I don't know ye.

LOL.. go apply for an moderator job and then you might be able to influence what we all talk about.

Sorry if we don't meet your expectations.

xxx :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

With a life...

Is that why you're wasting it on here?

jca just don't get it...

There's a thing in life known as 'tough sh1t' and sometimes you just have to digest copious amounts of it, whether you like it or not.

We may not all agree on things around here, and we've all had our differences. But for the lads that have been around on this thread since day one, we generally keep it impersonal... as best we can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

I love hearing about these retail grudges, anybody got any more long-standing grudges?
    Anything longer than 25 years?

• Advertisement

I love hearing about these retail grudges, anybody got any more long-standing grudges?
    Anything longer than 25 years?

LOL - hardly a grudge, first time I even really thought about it was today and don't think I've ever shared the story. I'd pass the owner in the street and he/I would say hello. It just is what it is mate... don't read into it too much ;)

But that being said...

Remember Murphy's shop in The Shannon... well around 1982-1983 they were all out of Macaroon bars. I went to the other shop that was in the front room of one of the houses just up the road and they were shut. Then I went down to where Centra is, by the Colaiste Bride school, was it "Harry" that had it, and he had the bars. Great memories, true story... no joke.

Reminds me of Enniscorthy back when all shops closed for lunch, for a half day on a Thursday and closed fully on a Sunday

Does this count?

I was in Mrs.Hall's shop (I think it was latterly the Olde Bridge Cafe?) back in 1967/8 with my Grandparents - my Grandpa was her long suffering landlord who had regularly to shell out large sums of money on the building in return for a pittance in rent - and she demanded payment in full for a bottle of orange for a 7 year old me.

No grudge was involved and we used to laugh about it for years afterwards when discussion of the Enniscorthy shops came up at home. Years later Battersea Dogs home ended up with a 25% share in Mrs.Hall's old shop. You gotta laugh. :D

Paddy Lennon's the only spot in town for sports gear in the 80s... Ned Buggy's in Wexford... and you'd likely have to place a custom order and wait months if you wanted anything out of the ordinary. Then Lowney's mall opened and Lifestyle moved in beside Tesco.... late 80s or early 90s... think the latter, can't quite remember.

Jesus, never forget the day I went into Lifestyle as a young teen and they had a Juventus jersey for sale. Bar Liverpool and United, it was rare to see any other jersey back then, never mind a non English First Division team. Me Da was down in the Bugler Doyles having a pint and I went down and told him about it. Surprise to me, he bought it for me and I cherished that thing for years. A simpler time, no internet.

Being buying from Lifestyle ever since.. two GAA jerseys for the young lad last week for his upcoming birthday. Their online store is top class, super quick delivery.

@theyoungchap

Did I ever tell you the one about being able to buy single cigarettes in Daisy's (now the Bus Stop Shop) back in the day?

Or when Aidan Rourke's missus dropped him down the Sunday Roast in John Doyle's bar?

Or the time when Sally O'Brien flashed her fanny at us and we down the banks swimming?

@theyoungchap

Did I ever tell you the one about being able to buy single cigarettes in Daisy's (now the Bus Stop Shop) back in the day?

Or when Aidan Rourke's missus dropped him down the Sunday Roast in John Doyle's bar?

Or the time when Sally O'Brien flashed her fanny at us and we down the banks swimming?

Too much information. :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Too much information. :D

Ya... definitely something in the water tonight, I was getting carried away there reminiscing. Apologies to our psuedo mod in advance.

Anyway... time to get a life now... Love Island at 9pm LOL :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

LOL - hardly a grudge, first time I even really thought about it was today and don't think I've ever shared the story. I'd pass the owner in the street and he/I would say hello. It just is what it is mate... don't read into it too much ;)

But that being said...

Remember Murphy's shop in The Shannon. (Daphne's?).. well around 1982-1983 they were all out of Macaroon bars. I went to the other shop that was in the front room of one of the houses just up the road (Eilish?) and they were shut. Then I went down to where Centra is, by the Colaiste Bride school, was it "Harry" (King's) that had it, and he had the bars. Great memories, true story... no joke.

Reminds me of Enniscorthy back when all shops closed for lunch, for a half day on a Thursday and closed fully on a Sunday

Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Ye have me reminiscing about the old shops in Enniscorthy now...

Remember Sinnotts Boutique? Guessing most of ye are lads on this so maybe not... Options was a great shop for random stuff like brass keyrings (these were the in thing in the Vocational School back in my day - late 80's - simpler times :) ) Paddy Lennon's was mentioned - bought my first set of darts there.

The Gem, The Office Beer Keller, Galaxy, Cindy's Ice Cream Parlour, The Ambassador Snooker Club, (old) Dunnes Stores, the L and N.

Probably loads more I've forgotten. Modern Fashions are there a long time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Galaxy? Where? What did they sell?

Galaxy? Where? What did they sell?

It was where Dealz is now (I think...? other posters please correct me if I'm wrong). It was a pound shop/discount type shop with cheap toys, costume jewellery such as rubber bracelets "Constance Carroll" makeup (remember the peach foundation - awful stuff). Cindy's Ice Cream Parlour was next door, that only opened in the summer though.

• Advertisement

Hahaha

Yep, was it Eilish or Daphney had the shop across from the grotto and Harry King's it was where Centra is now (good old Ger Brien RIP had it for years too).

Can't remember who had the shop in their front room further up the Shannon past the grotto. Was rarely open and they stocked sweet f all.

Galaxy was the OG gangsta original pound shop... way before Mr. Price, Dealz, Eurosaver and others came around.

Anyone remember Alfie Biggins chipper on the Quay? Super southern fried chicken.

Hung out as a chap in the Ambassador and was it Snooker World on the Quay I think too?

Charlie Cullens newsagent... another throwback... and the Slaney Valley hotel too.

Who had the shop where Sam McCauleys is now... Tommy Murphy I think... old school department store type thing going on.

And when Xtra vision was beside the old Dunnes... around the time when DVDs first hit the market.

Oh.. and best of all... Dempsey's video shop on the Quay or yer man Larry Meyler I think out of the back of a van for VHS rental... always good for an ol' blue movie back in the day. Was it O'Briens in Slaney Street rented videos too?

Molly Byrne's Arcade - knocking on their kitchen door for 10 pence pieces

Harry Ringwood for a haircut or Danny Byrne's which would be packed every weekend.

Buttles.. even had their own bakery, and another bakery on the Quay at the time too

There was a toy shop on Castle Hill at one stage too, used to go in for the Star Wars figures as a chap.

The Vocational School, or TEC as they called it, was where the Garda station or library is now.

A small flight of stairs to the grocery section in Dunnes.

Eugene Kavanagh for a dapper suit at the bottom of the Shannon.

Ger Birds for a game of rings...

Coogans...

The Marine Club...

The Office = The Enniscorthy Inn

Murphy Floods - gatecrash a 21st

The Unyoke Nightclub for out of town mingling

The Tavern for Sunday lunch

Charlie Kavanagh's on a Tuesday when you collected the dole (only ever collected it the summer before I went to Uni, but good memories)

All rocking back in the day... The Rafter Inn not so much.

Ger Birds for a game of rings...

Coogans...

The Marine Club...

The Office = The Enniscorthy Inn

Murphy Floods - gatecrash a 21st

The Unyoke Nightclub for out of town mingling

The Tavern for Sunday lunch

Charlie Kavanagh's on a Tuesday when you collected the dole (only ever collected it the summer before I went to Uni, but good memories)

All rocking back in the day... The Rafter Inn not so much.

Was it Count Bernstorff who owned The Office Beer Keller? My husband said it thinks it was but he's not sure. He lived in Berkerley Forest (closer to New Ross), his wife ran a doll museum in their house, I was brought there as a kid. Sorry for derailing...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Was it Count Bernstorff who owned The Office Beer Keller? My husband said it thinks it was but he's not sure. He lived in Berkerley Forest (closer to New Ross), his wife ran a doll museum in their house, I was brought there as a kid. Sorry for derailing...

Could have been,I used to drink there from time to time when I was a young lad. I remember an old school pal puking on his shoes one night.
    Does anyone remember Kelly's shop where Farrell's chemist is now? Used to go in there for sweets as a kid.
    I remember when Kehoes on the quay was a great pub for a sing song and a session. A far cry from what it is now.
    The Slaney Valley was another haunt. The Boolavogue Inn for pool but was infamous for rows.As far as I can remember it actually fell down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Remember Charlie Cullens, walk out the door wrong and you were a sitting duck to be knocked down!! There was a woman in there who had great difficulty counting to 20p sweets - you'd end up with a massive bag of them!
    Galaxy was the worst shop ever. Having said that, at least unlike Dealz etc it was locally owned I think.
    Great times, it was a great vibrant town back in the 80s/90s.

Who had the shop where Sam McCauleys is now... Tommy Murphy I think... old school department store type thing going on.

Was it called "Burke Roches" or something like that? It was some sort of double barrelled name anyway.

• Advertisement

Are we all in the same old folks home and should we not have a chat there rather than on Boards? :D

Advertisement