Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

kneemos wrote: »
    That is a complete scam - an initial top up which you never see again, if you don't top up by a certain amount within a certain time frame you lose your credit.
    Fool me once and all that

That is a complete scam - an initial top up which you never see again, if you don't top up by a certain amount within a certain time frame you lose your credit.

The app is total crap anyway by the look of it,2.4 score in the play store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Jesus Christ what's wrong with a bloody coin? I see the car park in the bailey has that park by text option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Enniscorthy shops, rates, rents etc. Anybody hear this on South East Radio's Morning Mix with Alan Corcoran yesterday? http://www.southeastradio.ie/on-demand/

Judging from the programme we are in for a further raft of shop closures.

There was some irony in Alan Corcoran interviewing John Kavanagh - the self admitted owner of five empty shop units - about the situation. While the rates are indeed shocking the situation is not helped by the owners of business premises looking for outrageous rentals on their semi-derelict properties. John Kavanagh mentioned that prospective shop keepers would get 'jaw dropping rentals' but the rates were the deal breaker!

All of his vacant units have disappeared offline but on my last inspection the larger one on Castle Street was at least €2k per month – jaw dropping alright!

Look at this tiny premises (not one of JK’s) €1,000 per month on a street with almost zero footfall – another jawdropper.

https://www.daft.ie/wexford/commercial-property-for-rent/offices-for-rent/weafer-street-enniscorthy-wexford-215003/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

With regard to the flood scheme, I would have no problem if the glass was extended all the way down the prom. These large walls are awful. What's the thinking with them?

TheChevron wrote: »
    With regard to the flood scheme, I would have no problem if the glass was extended all the way down the prom. These large walls are awful. What's the thinking with them?

Where they're building those massive walls the Prom doesn't even flood,it flows down from new bridge or up from further down.

Zero thought, imagination or local knowledge gone into this thing.

Where they're building those massive walls the Prom doesn't even flood,it flows down from new bridge or up from further down.

Zero thought, imagination or local knowledge gone into this thing.

Well I am sure you can form part of the public consultation......

Well I am sure you can form part of the public consultation......

Are those a PR exercise or does stuff actually get changed?

Are those a PR exercise or does stuff actually get changed?

It depends. I know people who work in these areas and stuff does get changed based on local opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Enniscorthy shops, rates, rents etc. Anybody hear this on South East Radio's Morning Mix with Alan Corcoran yesterday? http://www.southeastradio.ie/on-demand/

There was some irony in Alan Corcoran interviewing John Kavanagh - the self admitted owner of five empty shop units - about the situation. While the rates are indeed shocking the situation is not helped by the owners of business premises looking for outrageous rentals on their semi-derelict properties. John Kavanagh mentioned that prospective shop keepers would get 'jaw dropping rentals' but the rates were the deal breaker!

All of his vacant units have disappeared offline but on my last inspection the larger one on Castle Street was at least €2k per month – jaw dropping alright!

Look at this tiny premises (not one of JK’s) €1,000 per month on a street with almost zero footfall – another jawdropper.

https://www.daft.ie/wexford/commercial-property-for-rent/offices-for-rent/weafer-street-enniscorthy-wexford-215003/

The last time Enniscorthy and the shops/shopping or lack of was brought to Alan Corcoran and south east radios attention, he said he would visit the town and see for himself, He did visit the town and all he done back then was interview the shop owners all they done was advertise their own business and say how great Enniscorthy is to shop in and urged people to shop local. Not 1 person/shopper was stopped and interviewed back then, I listened to the piece he had yesterday on the radio and it should have been titled Enniscorthy shop owners Part 2 as he again only interviewed 3 shop owners and yet again not 1 shopper was stopped and asked what they thought or what they would like to see in Enniscorthy. As my other half said the 1st time. it was mostly the business that advertise on the radio that were interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Del.Monte wrote: »

A follow up piece this morning on South East Radio. Rates are not the problem it might be part of the problem along with failure to keep up with consumer demands and trends, location, rents etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sadly, it's the perfect storm for Enniscorthy - almost zero footfall, sky high rents and rates, online shopping, and a staggering lack of imagination from those in charge. The town is in freefall - add in the crazy flood defence proposals, the impending closure of the 1798 Centre......at least we have the Strawberry Festival..lol. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

TheChevron wrote: »
    With regard to the flood scheme, I would have no problem if the glass was extended all the way down the prom.

I was thinking along the same lines if the glass was crystal clear, but unfortunately I'd bet the glass will be in horrendous condition within 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Another George Lawlor backed “scheme” :rolleyes:

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I was thinking along the same lines if the glass was crystal clear, but unfortunately I'd bet the glass will be in horrendous condition within 5-10 years.

Surely they can just raise the footpath to a level where you can see over the glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At least they are putting steps in for the Al fresco drinkers. It's a lovely sight daily for tourists taking pictures of the river and the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I know politicians aren't supposed to get involved in parish pump politics yet every other TD seems to look after their local area but ours are deafening with their silence on getting jobs etc in the region.
    We laugh at the Healy Rae's yet they get stuff done down in Kerry.
    Virtually every big employer in the town is gone yet after years of promises of "task forces" etc there has been very little progress and any that are here pay the bare minimum.
    The "boomtown" that was mentioned earlier is part of a 10 year plan,what's the bets we won't see much movement until the 10 years are nearly up.

Surely they can just raise the footpath to a level where you can see over the glass?

Surely them lads who designed the flood relief plan and made that demo video need to go back to school or better still listen to what the local people are saying and DIG down.

Navarre wrote: »

Surely them lads who designed the flood relief plan and made that demo video need to go back to school or better still listen to what the local people are saying and DIG down.

Do you know categorically that dredging is a solution? Maybe you'd need to dig too deep and undermine the foundations of buildings along the prom etc?

I don't know if that is a problem, or the answer, but I work in a profession where the "know it all" man on the street culture is rife, professional people have probably thought about the solution?

Do you know for a fact that it is a viable option for the vast quantity of water which flows through the town during storms etc?

• Advertisement

Do you know categorically that dredging is a solution? Maybe you'd need to dig too deep and undermine the foundations of buildings along the prom etc?

I don't know if that is a problem, or the answer, but I work in a profession where the "know it all" man on the street culture is rife, professional people have probably thought about the solution?

Do you know for a fact that it is a viable option for the vast quantity of water which flows through the town during storms etc?

Well anyone with an ounce of brains let it be professional, street going, or know it all's would tell you that water will find its own level and the river slaney is tidal water from ferrycarrig bridge to the railway bridge in Enniscorthy. River fishermen have all been saying this for god knows how long that if the whole of the island north of the railway bridge and the baremeadows south of the town were completely removed "both are wasteland" to widen the river north and south of the bridges along with dredging the river from the railway bridge down as far as the oil hole then there wouldn't need to be any block walls or glass walls built. There was feck all floods during the 70s,80s and 90s because the river was dredged regularly. On a low tide there is feck all water between the old and new bridge, thats the right time to send in the diggers and jcbs and remove all the silt and stones that have built up for the last 20-25 years.

453760.jpg

453761.jpg

I know SFA on the matter of dredging, this article seems to suggest that it isn't a solution -

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/30/dredging-rivers-floods-somerset-levels-david-cameron-farmers

BTW. Not argueing for or against it, just curious about it.

But river fishermen is anecdotal evidence, how can they say with any confidence that that is the solution, and how do you know it wasn't investigated and deemed to be not true?

I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here by the way - I don't know either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Navarre wrote: »
    Well anyone with an ounce of brains let it be professional, street going, or know it all's would tell you that water will find its own level and the river slaney is tidal water from ferrycarrig bridge to the railway bridge in Enniscorthy. River fishermen have all been saying this for god knows how long that if the whole of the island north of the railway bridge and the baremeadows south of the town were completely removed "both are wasteland" to widen the river north and south of the bridges along with dredging the river from the railway bridge down as far as the oil hole then there wouldn't need to be any block walls or glass walls built. There was feck all floods during the 70s,80s and 90s because the river was dredged regularly. On a low tide there is feck all water between the old and new bridge, thats the right time to send in the diggers and jcbs and remove all the silt and stones that have built up for the last 20-25 years.

453760.jpg

453761.jpg

What about the ecological effect? The effect on wildlife, or bees or plants / flowers?

I know SFA on the matter of dredging, this article seems to suggest that it isn't a solution -

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/30/dredging-rivers-floods-somerset-levels-david-cameron-farmers

"A presentation by the agency, called To Dredge or Not to Dredge?, spells out the problems in terms that even ministers can understand: "The river channel is not large enough to contain extreme floods, even after dredging. Dredging of river channels does not prevent flooding during extreme river flows … The concept of dredging to prevent extreme flooding is equivalent to trying to squeeze the volume of water held by a floodplain within the volume of water held in the river channel. Since the floodplain volume is usually many times larger than the channel volume, the concept becomes a major engineering project and a major environmental change." - Excellent point in that article.

When the floodwater reaches the Island north of the railway bridge it is pushed squashed in between the river banks on the east and west side of the town all that happens is the river water level rises. if the Island was removed it would widen the river there and along with all the silt and river bed build up removed then there would be feck all flooding along the island rd and the quays.

But what effect would taking out the land of the island have on the ecology of the river, of fish or their habits, and on nature? You can't just remove it.

A barrel and a hole of the same volume will hold the same amount of water. I guess you could also argue that building walls up might have the same effect as digging down into the river bed too... it's just two different ways of increasing capacity... the latter probably requiring more long term maintenance.

What about the ecological effect? The effect on wildlife, or bees or plants / flowers?

Thats the excuse that was used a few years ago as to why the river cant be dredged, some rare plant life would be destroyed. Instead houses and business have been ruined.

• Advertisement

Nature and ecology matter too, hugely. It isn't an excuse, its a specific reason as to why somethings can't be done. Is there any actual facts to say that removing the island would have a positive effect on neutralising flooding and rising waters?

Advertisement