Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

All this talk of Indian food put me in mind of this scene from "Good Morning Vietnam" ...

Hot, damn hot - that's what Indian food should be. I used to eat in a restaurant on the Isle of Man called, what else "Churchill's India" , sadly no more - is there a hot Indian restaurant in Enniscorthy or Wexford? :D
    Just ask them to make it hot. They will spice it up as much as you like. I got one in Anar Kali before that burned the hole off me. Cant remember what it was though

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

The best indian in Wexford is what used to be aloes Mukut in Westgate. It has a new name, different owners, but same chefs. It's very good. Flavoursome and proper HOT! Great cuts of lamb too if that's what you're into. I lived in Dublin for 10 years and tried every indian going. This ranks up there with the best of them. It's pricey though. About 12.50 for a main. Not sure if that includes rice.

Avoid Spice in Wexford town. That place is total dirt.

00011000 wrote: »
    The best indian in Wexford is what used to be aloes Mukut in Westgate. It has a new name, different owners, but same chefs. It's very good. Flavoursome and proper HOT! Great cuts of lamb too if that's what you're into. I lived in Dublin for 10 years and tried every indian going. This ranks up there with the best of them. It's pricey though. About 12.50 for a main. Not sure if that includes rice.

Avoid Spice in Wexford town. That place is total dirt.
    Yeah was in the old Mukut before, very nice.

The nicest Indian (actually Pakistani) place I have tasted in Ireland is Madina Desi Curry on Mary St in Dublin, just at the top of Henry St. Its a halal restaurant, so you wont get beer there and the decor is kind of crap, but the food is amazing, Id recommend anyone to try it if they are up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

I would love to go to a restaurant every now and again but its bloody expensive. But i might be worried about quality if it was too cheap.
    Enniscorthy should have a look at the special offer model being used in Cork and come up with its own variation, where you get a main course, pint, and taxi home all for €20 or so. I think you can choose where you get the meal and pint too.

By the way, Irish cuisine is more varied than we think but does anyone know if we (Enniscorthy) have a unique meal? Be it historic or modern. and is there room for a uniquely "Irish" restaurant? It would have so much more potential than another chinese/indian/italian restaurant/chipper. begorah

Ian7 wrote: »
    By the way, Irish cuisine is more varied than we think but does anyone know if we (Enniscorthy) have a unique meal? Be it historic or modern. and is there room for a uniquely "Irish" restaurant? It would have so much more potential than another chinese/indian/italian restaurant/chipper. begorah

I dont think people would go out and pay to eat Irish cuisine ie Bacon & Cabbage, Stew, etc. You can get that at home any time. Something like that wopuld be fine for a choice on a carvery or something but to have a full menu of aall Irish food would be too much. The food would have to be absolutey fantastic.

As far as a uniquely Enniscorthy food, I cant really think of much. Colcannon might be one but you can get that loads of places.

However, I can think of one food that is unique to Enniscorthy, but its from an Italian chipper. The "Spuntino" from Mallocca's is as unique as you will get! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't forget Enniscorthy is also home of the 'snail' burger. :D

TheChevron wrote: »
    I dont think people would go out and pay to eat Irish cuisine ie Bacon & Cabbage, Stew, etc.

As i said, Irish food is more varied than we think. Cuisine might not be the right term however but anyway what about boxty, coddle, goody, crúibíní, Drisheen, Shellfish meals, bread and butter pudding, fulacht fiadh based meals (a form of slow cooking, but not very ideal maybe), and Rabbit stews among others. Not everyone gets the standard bacon and cabbage nowadays either which makes that meal relevant to this idea.
    if i ever open this restaurant your not invited :p. ya can stay at home with your microwavable stew.:D

As i said, Irish food is more varied than we think. Cuisine might not be the right term however but anyway what about boxty, coddle, goody, crúibíní, Drisheen, Shellfish meals, bread and butter pudding, fulacht fiadh based meals (a form of slow cooking, but not very ideal maybe), and Rabbit stews among others. Not everyone gets the standard bacon and cabbage nowadays either which makes that meal relevant to this idea.
    if i ever open this restaurant your not invited :p. ya can stay at home with your microwavable stew.:D
    You have mentioned a lot of nice things there, but i dont think I'd pay to have stuff my mammy made. I think boxty and colcannon are pretty similar anyway.

If you ever tasted my stew, you would happilly pay handsomely for it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Alcast to the cross roads just past the old Vinegar Hill golf course is getting re-surfaced... praise the lord!

We're on a roll here... every blackspot we mention seems to be getting attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Alcast to the cross roads just past the old Vinegar Hill golf course is getting re-surfaced... praise the lord!

We're on a roll here... every blackspot we mention seems to be getting attention.

Was just about to post that-you beat me to it.Let's make a list of roads that need attention. (it'll be a long one)

• Advertisement

The road between the Mile House and the Still Pond needs a miracle. Drove out that way yesterday. Shocking surface.

The road between the Mile House and the Still Pond needs a miracle. Drove out that way yesterday. Shocking surface.

That's been like that since the snow-it looks like it was bombed,there's actually rocks on the road.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The power of boards.ie Our Anonymous council member must been lurking about here lately

Did anyone see the chemtrails in the sky last night? :rolleyes:

You have mentioned a lot of nice things there, but i dont think I'd pay to have stuff my mammy made. I think boxty and colcannon are pretty similar anyway.

If you ever tasted my stew, you would happilly pay handsomely for it;)

Your mammy probably made lasagne too or spag bol. Everyone can make their own chinese or indian dish but you still go out and pay for that. I'm onto a winner here, don't ruin my dream man.

Boxty is a pancake sort of a thing isn't it?

i've been driving up and down munster hill the last few days for the first time in months ( i was completely avoiding it) and i have to say.... its lovely.

Expecting work to commence on the road to the still any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

i've been driving up and down munster hill the last few days for the first time in months ( i was completely avoiding it) and i have to say.... its lovely.

Expecting work to commence on the road to the still any day now.

It's great, I used to drive up it everyday but like you avoided it. Now I can't wait to skate down it.

Alcast to the Vinegar Hill Golf club site was my main "drive in the middle of the road to save your car" spot.

How sad is it that I'm thrilled at the prospect of driving on what will end up as a bog standard road surface? Enniscorthy County Council really know how to make us punters happy eh!

Alcast to the Vinegar Hill Golf club site was my main "drive in the middle of the road to save your car" spot.

How sad is it that I'm thrilled at the prospect of driving on what will end up as a bog standard road surface? Enniscorthy County Council really know how to make us punters happy eh!

It had to be the worst road surface on a approach road into town. I do hope that these new surfaces last and they wont need to be re surfaced again soon.
    Also the road at Parnel cross below the shop is bad. I hope that our council member on boards will look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wallop 64

Yeah I'm sure the council base their road repairs on the postings on this site, any chance you could mention the interest rate on the bailout, I'm sure they are reading this too!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did anyone see the chemtrails in the sky last night? :rolleyes:

Mod Note

Your really testing my patience. Cop yourself on now, or get out.

Final warning. Any issues, PM me.

Lets stick to the topic at hand without the constant interruptions and remarks. Its getting annoying.

Yeah I'm sure the council base their road repairs on the postings on this site, any chance you could mention the interest rate on the bailout, I'm sure they are reading this too!!

Perhaps I would if I thought that local authorities such as ETC and WCC had any say in such matters.

But if it makes you any happier the last time I checked it was €85milllion at 5.83% ;)

speaking of vehicular travel around the town. I don't know to what extent the topic of boy racers has been discussed but I find myself increasingly frustrated at what a dirty shower they are. Sat and Sun mornings at the supervalu carpark, lidl and along the prom are filthy in the exact spots where the "racers" were parked the previous night. I have no real gripe with them parked up there but maybe its a case of the "skaterpark solution".... the council should place a couple of bins in the spots where they park.

My second annoyance is the bloody bin lorry, street sweeper and occasional road works holding up traffic when people are trying to get to work in the morning. All vital but why can't they pick better hours to carry out these jobs?

I've a feeling JD has already touched on these subjects so i will be happy to delete if I am repeating old topics.

Putting bins beside where the boy racers park would be no good-they'd have to get out of their cars to use them.:D

Anyone know what the story is re: the construction of the bridge to extend the Prom walkway?

Thanks

Just noticed that the company fixing the barriers along the island road are an English company. Nothing against them being English or anything, they obviously tendered the lowest price but its just frustrating that a local company couldn't do it cheaper.

Just noticed that the company fixing the barriers along the island road are an English company. Nothing against them being English or anything, they obviously tendered the lowest price but its just frustrating that a local company couldn't do it cheaper.

I also noticed that the company that laid the new surface out the Oulart road was also an English company.

Are Roadwise not a Wexford company?

Has anyone ever noticed the small plot of land on The Moyne road, just across from the turn to Greenville, which used to be a pump house I think?

Well in recent years Wexford County Council have turned this into a storage area for stones, gravel, dirt and the like.

Just today they have a truck parked in one driveway, a van parked on the road in front of the parents driveway, a large dumper truck up on top of the footpath and a digger inside lifting dirt into the dumper truck.

The old man says they've knocked out the footpath kerbing on a couple of occasions.

So basically we have a small building site/storage area in the middle of a residential area, on a bad bend, on a chronic road surface, on one of the busiest residential area roads in the town... which belongs to Wexford County Council.

When it comes to planning you'd have to wonder wouldn't you...

• Advertisement

Can someone tell me why the Bohreen Hill is closed going down it? I see it blocked off but no work is taking place.

The block it in the morning just in time for the rush, and unblock it in the evening just after the rush has ended.

Advertisement