Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Would water breaching or breaking the 7ft Berlin Wall be a concern?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

There was a 1 big flood in 1940s and 1 big flood in 1960s. The river was dredged by roadstone from the 60s up till the 80s using the dredger Knocknagow the late Joe Myler was the skipper on it. Anyhow since November 2000 there has been 3-4 big floods in that 18 year period. does anyone here remember the last time the river bed was dredged or dug out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A good chunk of The Island and The Baremeadow is being removed to increase flow.

Might have been an idea to trial digging and dredging before hey went full medieval on walls and embankments.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Navarre wrote: »
    There was a 1 big flood in 1940s and 1 big flood in 1960s. The river was dredged by roadstone from the 60s up till the 80s using the dredger Knocknagow the late Joe Myler was the skipper on it. Anyhow since November 2000 there has been 3-4 big floods in that 18 year period. does anyone here remember the last time the river bed was dredged or dug out.

But our climate, and indeed the nature of our rainfall, has changed immensely in the last 20 years. It is far more intense, over a shorter period of time. Look up anything on this - there are plenty of places in Ireland that flood more often now. That is why Enniscorthy is flooding more I suspect, not because of some perception of the river not being dredged.

Regardless of what option you propose in any walk of life, be it in a GAA club or whatever, there is always people to pick holes and find problems even if you have facts/figures/etc to prove your point. With all due respect to our knowledgable fishermen, I think I would take the evidence of people who (I suspect) wold have looked into every scenario/option/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yes, but whatever the problems of flooding, the total destruction of the river as an amenity to the town is a poor solution. The cost of rehousing people and business premises out of the reach of future floods would be a cheaper and far less damaging to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Surely dredging would be significantly cheaper than the proposal. If it was at all viable they would run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Yes, but whatever the problems of flooding, the total destruction of the river as an amenity to the town is a poor solution. The cost of rehousing people and business premises out of the reach of future floods would be a cheaper and far less damaging to the town.

So what are the costs and where are the facts to show that it would be cheaper to rehouse the people of the Island rd, Templeshannon, the Quay and moving the Riverside hotel? And Treacys hotel for that matter.

Officially the costs of the Flood Relief Scheme seem to be circa €40/45 million and I haven't a clue about what the costs of relocating houses/businesses would come to - certainly a lot of the houses on the Island Road are pretty poor anyway. The hotel doesn't need to be moved as it was inconvenienced rather than flooded. God only knows who gave permission to build it there in the first place.

The business premises on the Shannon Quay could be better protected and some of the money saved by not implementing the FRS could be put into a compensation fund for future flood events which affect them. That, of course, assumes that dredging does not take place and things remain as they are.

I'm not putting myself forward as some sort of expert on these matters but as somebody who doesn't want to see the best feature of the town wrecked.

Regardless of what option you propose in any walk of life, be it in a GAA club or whatever, there is always people to pick holes and find problems even if you have facts/figures/etc to prove your point. With all due respect to our knowledgable fishermen, I think I would take the evidence of people who (I suspect) wold have looked into every scenario/option/etc.

They gave us the option of take it or leave back when cash was scarce.
    Now that things have improved somewhat our elected representatives should be putting the foot down over the needless destruction of the Promenade.

Don't think a suggestion in one of their envelopes is going to pull much weight. A public protest or political influence seems our best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The river was used as a source of sand and gravel for centuries. Before the original main drainage scheme,the river bed between the two bridges used to be a lot lower and that big gravel bank wasn't there.
    Even at low tide there were boats moored there back in the day and were floating,these days you could park rows of cars in the same place.
    1965 was known as the year of "The Big Flood".
    The next big one I can remember was after Hurricane Charlie. In recent years we have seen them as a more regular occurrence.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=river+slaney+enniscorthy&client=ms-android-zte&prmd=minv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiekKC__eDbAhWEJsAKHZMuCSUQ_AUIEigC&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=6EeV87VZ5WwsgM:

Are they cutting down the mature trees down towards the Riverside?
    A row of semi mature trees and paving is depicted there in the video.

kneemos wrote: »
    Are they cutting down the mature trees down towards the Riverside?
    A row of semi mature trees and paving is depicted there in the video.

Probably as the trees on the Shannon Quay also seem to be saplings in any artist's impressions that I have seen.

Officially the costs of the Flood Relief Scheme seem to be circa €40/45 million and I haven't a clue about what the costs of relocating houses/businesses would come to - certainly a lot of the houses on the Island Road are pretty poor anyway. The hotel doesn't need to be moved as it was inconvenienced rather than flooded. God only knows who gave permission to build it there in the first place.

The business premises on the Shannon Quay could be better protected and some of the money saved by not implementing the FRS could be put into a compensation fund for future flood events which affect them. That, of course, assumes that dredging does not take place and things remain as they are.

I'm not putting myself forward as some sort of expert on these matters but as somebody who doesn't want to see the best feature of the town wrecked.

You wouldn't be long getting to 40m to relocate all those businesses.....basically relocating the town rather than doing something about flooding in it seems like a crazy solution if I am honest!

I saw flood relief schemes in other towns and it's actually ok. The original designs looked brutal but once in place were decent.
    A lot of the walls and banks that were in place were taken down,many are just being replaced.

Templeshannon 1965

The Slaney 1910.

You wouldn't be long getting to 40m to relocate all those businesses.....basically relocating the town rather than doing something about flooding in it seems like a crazy solution if I am honest!

I didn't suggest relocating the businesses if you read my post properly. The Riverside Park can look after itself and it's mainly the houses on the Island Road - poor grade stock - that need relocating.

I saw flood relief schemes in other towns and it's actually ok. The original designs looked brutal but once in place were decent.
    A lot of the walls and banks that were in place were taken down,many are just being replaced.

Yes, but what you saw in other towns has no bearing on the mess that is proposed for Enniscorthy. Incidentally the FRS is a fait accompli and the public information events are just an illusion - the forms that you're given are to be returned to the contractors https://www.mottmac.com lol. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Yes, but what you saw in other towns has no bearing on the mess that is proposed for Enniscorthy. Incidentally the FRS is a fait accompli and the public information events are just an illusion - the forms that you're given are to be returned to the contractors https://www.mottmac.com lol. :rolleyes:

http://enniscorthyfds.ie/index.php/programme-2/

Mott McDonald are the consultants not the contractors, the scheme hasn't even been tendered yet hence the public consultation phase that's currently on going... rolls eyes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Regarding dredging, are people here seriously suggesting that then experts are going down this route without serious consideration? To what ends? Explain to me why they would not do that if they thought it was a viable option?

Decoda wrote: »
    http://enniscorthyfds.ie/index.php/programme-2/

Mott McDonald are the consultants not the contractors, the scheme hasn't even been tendered yet hence the public consultation phase that's currently on going... rolls eyes....

Well thank you, I was talking to the project engineer Larry McHale last week and even he didn't make that clear to me. The whole project is very opaque and no need for the rolleyes. :P

I think with all due respect Mott McDonald would have done the studies etc of the situation to a far higher degree than fishermen/boards.ie/locals/etc. I suspect the did an EIA (Environmental Impact Assessment) for all the options available.
    They then have public consultations is to consider local opinion, see what is worth taking on board, etc. They can't go to tender until they have the scheme to detailed design. It is opaque because it is the same as every other project at this point - a scheme to be altered if necessary.
    But of course locals and fishermen know better!

I think with all due respect Mott McDonald would have done the studies etc of the situation to a far higher degree than fishermen/boards.ie/locals/etc. I suspect the did an EIA (Environmental Impact Assessment) for all the options available.
    They then have public consultations is to consider local opinion, see what is worth taking on board, etc. They can't go to tender until they have the scheme to detailed design. It is opaque because it is the same as every other project at this point - a scheme to be altered if necessary.

Locals and fishermen are the ones who are going to have live with the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Its designated a SAC by European Law so an Appropriate Assessment would also have been conducted.

Locals and fishermen are the ones who are going to have live with the outcome.

And they would have to live with a bad outcome from the wrong assessment or decision too. I am sure Mott McDonald will do what is best outcome for the town and the problem.

Somebody is spending a fortune on the old ESB office. Even getting an elevator installed.
    Has the look of Government body type spending.

kneemos wrote: »
    Somebody is spending a fortune on the old ESB office. Even getting an elevator installed.
    Has the look of Government body type spending.

Have Barnardo's given up their lease?

Have Barnardo's given up their lease?

Not sure TBH. Haven't noticed them about lately.

• Advertisement

There was a time the footpaths got maintained.
    Another couple of years the path out the New Ross road will have been completely reclaimed by nature. It looks bad on an approach road if nothing else.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sCml4vtIwwIW77OK6BTz5nb5njQNzehv/view?usp=drivesdk

Advertisement