Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I would rank the chips in town as follows:

1. Tonys
    2. Chipmongers
    3. Sandros

paulaa wrote: »
    Sorry for quoting myself but I found the planning application for Maxol Mace Bellefield

I heard hat there is an Abrakebabra and a Bagel Factory going in Mace/Maxol.

I missed Abra, they only decent taco fries around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Curious - Are there any sort of regulations regarding colossal farming machinery on public roads past a certain hour of the day? Had a slightly hairy experience last night. Not looking for a rant mind, just curious. Can't nail down anything on Google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Curious - Are there any sort of regulations regarding colossal farming machinery on public roads past a certain hour of the day? Had a slightly hairy experience last night. Not looking for a rant mind, just curious. Can't nail down anything on Google search.

3.5 meters for mechanically propelled machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Was heading out of town around 10:15pm last night, just up the road past Mr. Price, and met two absolutely colossal combine harvesters on a slight bend in the road. No exaggeration when I say they took up at least four fifths of the entire road. Driving on the small path allowed me to very narrowly navigate my way around them. If the path wasn't there, I'd have had to reverse back around the bend... which would've been quite dangerous. No jeep with hazard lights accompanying them to give advance warning to on coming traffic. F'n yokes are lethal, especially at that time of night when the light wasn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Was heading out of town around 10:15pm last night, just up the road past Mr. Price, and met two absolutely colossal combine harvesters on a slight bend in the road. No exaggeration when I say they took up at least four fifths of the entire road. Driving on the small path allowed me to very narrowly navigate my way around them. If the path wasn't there, I'd have had to reverse back around the bend... which would've been quite dangerous. No jeep with hazard lights accompanying them to give advance warning to on coming traffic. F'n yokes are lethal, especially at that time of night when the light wasn't great.

Were they travelling with the headers on? Normally they tow the header behind with a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jca wrote: »
    Were they travelling with the headers on? Normally they tow the header behind with a tractor.

Headers are always towed,the new machines are massive compared to the older ones.
    I met one on a back road in Wicklow one day at high speed (my fault for having a heavy right foot ) and I think I scared the combine driver more than myself, narrow road and he took up most of it. This time of year you just have to expect large farm machinery on the roads.
    An added hazard is BAM moving heavy plant due to the bypass works,you could meet a low loader with a 30 ton machine on any given road especially in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Headers are always towed,the new machines are massive compared to the older ones.
    I met one on a back road in Wicklow one day at high speed (my fault for having a heavy right foot ) and I think I scared the combine driver more than myself, narrow road and he took up most of it. This time of year you just have to expect large farm machinery on the roads.
    An added hazard is BAM moving heavy plant due to the bypass works,you could meet a low loader with a 30 ton machine on any given road especially in the evening.

Not always, that's why I asked as I met one last Saturday evening on the road to the Harrow with the header attached. I could see his dust in the distance so I knew it was something big coming towards me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Anyone know what's taking place out by the roundabout at Simon kavanaghs? Passed by early this morning and just now and there's a huge amount of cars parked by the sides of the roads. Saw someone with an IFA banner this morning, is it a protest?

If the IFA are involved, it's a protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Have Barnardo's given up their lease?

They are still there, ante-natal classes held there every month

Bells21 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's taking place out by the roundabout at Simon kavanaghs? Passed by early this morning and just now and there's a huge amount of cars parked by the sides of the roads. Saw someone with an IFA banner this morning, is it a protest?

It's a protest.

http://www.southeastradio.ie/2018/07/farmers-hold-protest-at-bam-office-to-call-for-bypass-discussions/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I had a quick look at the Rockin' Food Festival guide,the lineup of events and music puts the Strawberry Festival in the ha'penny place.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Some rock and roll crowd shaking buckets in the square today? If ye want to jive and play cds in the square go right ahead, but why would anyone put money in a bucket for that? Its not even a charity ffs! :D Although the Rockin Food Festival looks like fun. (Not my kinda music - but I love food)

The umbrellas still looking good on Slaney St. Had a nice feed in Maloccas (haven't tried that Chipmonger place yet, but Maloccas is handy as I don't live in the town, and can sit down to eat there).

Smyths extension looking good, hopefully be finished soon. Its an expensive shop compared to some, but they have a great selection of pretty much everything! The Farm Shop is just too feckin cluttered for me, although himself loves it. :D

Nice to see the Old Dublin Road heading into the 21st century. The second hand furniture place has some lovely reasonably priced stuff, bought a 3 piece suite there recently. Kilcannon has some great bedding plants, didn't buy any because - drought :( Normally I only venture out there to the vet or Cooney Furlong for animal feed, sprays, etc. Not forgetting the annual trip for the NCT.

Never seen the Slaney so shallow either. No fear of floods for the time being anyway.

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Some rock and roll crowd shaking buckets in the square today? If ye want to jive and play cds in the square go right ahead, but why would anyone put money in a bucket for that? Its not even a charity ffs! :D Although the Rockin Food Festival looks like fun. (Not my kinda music - but I love food)

The umbrellas still looking good on Slaney St. Had a nice feed in Maloccas (haven't tried that Chipmonger place yet, but Maloccas is handy as I don't live in the town, and can sit down to eat there).

Smyths extension looking good, hopefully be finished soon. Its an expensive shop compared to some, but they have a great selection of pretty much everything! The Farm Shop is just too feckin cluttered for me, although himself loves it. :D

Nice to see the Old Dublin Road heading into the 21st century. The second hand furniture place has some lovely reasonably priced stuff, bought a 3 piece suite there recently. Kilcannon has some great bedding plants, didn't buy any because - drought :( Normally I only venture out there to the vet or Cooney Furlong for animal feed, sprays, etc. Not forgetting the annual trip for the NCT.

Never seen the Slaney so shallow either. No fear of floods for the time being anyway.

Southeast rock and roll club.
    Only beaten by the boat club that used to collect in SuperValu.

Apparently they organise dances in the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yeah, I didn't quite get the collecting buckets lark. I like all sorts of music and I wonder if I sat in the Square with a bucket would people give me money to buy CDs? :confused:

Yeah, I didn't quite get the collecting buckets lark. I like all sorts of music and I wonder if I sat in the Square with a bucket would people give me money to buy CDs? :confused:

If you're collecting to buy heavy metal cds I might throw you a few euro ;)

Question for ye, sorry for thread hogging, anywhere in Enniscorthy or Wexford who fixes soles on hiking boots? The heels are worn on them but they're so comfortable and don't want to chuck them out.

Don't know whether Paul on Church Street (next to Cooney's) would be the man? I have had heavy shoe repairs done by him and always turned out well.

Don't know whether Paul on Church Street (next to Cooney's) would be the man? I have had heavy shoe repairs done by him and always turned out well.

Thanks Del, I'll drop in during the week. Thought that place was just a locksmiths! Probably some more gems in Enniscorthy I don't know about too. Hate how throwaway society has become, but that's for another thread...

Visited Mc Sorleys Service Station yesterday out the Milehouse Road. Great to have more fuel choices in Enniscorthy. Applegreen (edit, it's called Drive?) gets a bit of a bashing on the Motoring Forum, but I can't fault their petrol tbh. The only time I buy diesel is for our generator, but we use the agri stuff for that.

Wasn't Ruairi McSorley the guy who was "frostbit", wonder if they're related?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pinkfoot1

Town water supply comes from the Slaney - I hope it doesn't get too low!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

What’s up with the kids of Enniscorthy.. for the last year I noticed a lot of teenagers hanging around town during school hours. Do their parents not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Mondo44 wrote: »
    What’s up with the kids of Enniscorthy.. for the last year I noticed a lot of teenagers hanging around town during school hours. Do their parents not care.

You know schools are on holidays at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

You know schools are on holidays at the moment?

I know that. That’s why I said during school hours. There seems to be more and more teenagers dropping out of school at 15/16 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I know that. That’s why I said during school hours. There seems to be more and more teenagers dropping out of school at 15/16 years old

Doubt that very much.

They could be 17/18 and finished their leaving cert? If they were on the hop they wouldn't be hanging around the town.

Pinkfoot1 wrote: »
    Town water supply comes from the Slaney - I hope it doesn't get too low!

Plenty below the bridge. Noticeably lower every day upriver though.

St.Mary's churchyard has once again become popular with late night revellers, but if they could only content themselves with having a few cans and leaving. Even if they left their rubbish behind but not these disgusting, demonic little scrotes who seem to think that it's okay to break their empty bottles on gravestones, scratch their initials on the freshly painted church doors and I noted today somebody (D.J.) had deeply cut their initials into a grave slab - the best part of two hundred years old.

Really, some kids may have no belief or respect in God but they could at least respect the graves of people whatever their religion - what would they think if somebody treated their family plot the same way. St.Mary's have put up with a lot in the recent years and while drinking/leaving rubbish is manageable, this sort of criminal behaviour can't be left unchecked.

Tombstone.jpg

Church%2BDoor.PNG

St.Mary's churchyard has once again become popular with late night revellers, but if they could only content themselves with having a few cans and leaving. Even if they left their rubbish behind but not these disgusting, demonic little scrotes who seem to think that it's okay to break their empty bottles on gravestones, scratch their initials on the freshly painted church doors and I noted today somebody (D.J.) had deeply cut their initials into a grave slab - the best part of two hundred years old.

Really, some kids may have no belief or respect in God but they could at least respect the graves of people whatever their religion - what would they think if somebody treated their family plot the same way. St.Mary's have put up with a lot in the recent years and while drinking/leaving rubbish is manageable, this sort of criminal behaviour can't be left unchecked.

Tombstone.jpg

Church%2BDoor.PNG

Happening too often, even thought the rubbish/cans etc are "easy" to tidy up, these little fcukin vandals need to be stopped. Whether it's a church, gravestones or business premises it's not on. I remember your previous posts and photos of vandalism at St Mary's too, it's on going.

Beautiful church, I first visited it whilst the cathedral was being renovated back in the early 90's, I was struck by it's peaceful simplicity and lack of gaudiness. I love the annual Christmas Tree display. I have always felt welcome there!

I did suggest security of some sort previously. Do St Mary's parishioners have meetings regularly? Do ye meet up/have a group? Could ye club together and get something like Netwatch installed. Is it time to put higher railings up? Only suggestions, but if this sh1t continues what choices are there?

My grandmother is buried in an old Anglican graveyard, thankfully a very rural one with no scrotes around. I would be devastated if someone desicrated her resting place.

Happening too often, even thought the rubbish/cans etc are "easy" to tidy up, these little fcukin vandals need to be stopped. Whether it's a church, gravestones or business premises it's not on. I remember your previous posts and photos of vandalism at St Mary's too, it's on going.

Beautiful church, I first visited it whilst the cathedral was being renovated back in the early 90's, I was struck by it's peaceful simplicity and lack of gaudiness. I love the annual Christmas Tree display. I have always felt welcome there!

I did suggest security of some sort previously. Do St Mary's parishioners have meetings regularly? Do ye meet up/have a group? Could ye club together and get something like Netwatch installed. Is it time to put higher railings up? Only suggestions, but if this sh1t continues what choices are there?

My grandmother is buried in an old Anglican graveyard, thankfully a very rural one with no scrotes around. I would be devastated if someone desicrated her resting place.

Holy blue murder and flying fur if it happened in the Cathedral.

• Advertisement

I understand that railings and locked gates may be under consideration which would be a pity as it wouldl prevent easy access for bona fide individuals. Christ Church in Gorey is open to visitors all year round but St.Mary's has to be kept locked - what does that say about the two towns?

Advertisement