Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I understand that railings and locked gates may be under consideration which would be a pity as it wouldl prevent easy access for bona fide individuals. Christ Church in Gorey is open to visitors all year round but St.Mary's has to be kept locked - what does that say about the two towns?

Christ Church's proximity to the Garda Station may have some bearing on that, not that I think the lazy fcukers would come out to investigate but the scrotes don't know that. Charlotte Row is also a residential area and the locals would be coming and going. from what I remember, St Mary's is in a more central area of Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

While it's nice to see people sat around the Market Square enjoying the fine weather, it'd be even nicer if many would learn how to use the bins. The area around the monument is constantly covered in litter and the remains of food and drink packaging.
    I think it's an Irish thing where people think "ah sure aren't fellas paid to pick up litter". If fellas didn't have to do it then they could do more important work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

While it's nice to see people sat around the Market Square enjoying the fine weather, it'd be even nicer if many would learn how to use the bins. The area around the monument is constantly covered in litter and the remains of food and drink packaging.
    I think it's an Irish thing where people think "ah sure aren't fellas paid to pick up litter". If fellas didn't have to do it then they could do more important work.

Bins are always fecking full around there also, especially outside Wickhams. Council need to empty them a bit more often, but you make a valid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Don't worry Gorgeous George Lawlor has announced that coming soon are brand new large bins that have a compacting facility and send a text to the council when they are full.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A lot of bins were removed due to household rubbish being constantly dumbed in and around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

kneemos wrote: »
    A lot of bins were removed due to household rubbish being constantly dumbed in and around them.

Not to mention fly tipping on rural roads, it's an epidemic at this stage. I see black bags full of rubbish on the roadside regularly whilst driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Don't worry Gorgeous George Lawlor has announced that coming soon are brand new large bins that have a compacting facility and send a text to the council when they are full.

There's already loads of those expensive, useless compacting bins in the town. If the council need a text to tell them bins (Wickham's) and the massive unsightly one right outside their office need emptying then we are really in trouble.

seat%2B2.jpg

Incidentally, why is it that the council are incapable of having the seats outside their offices varnished annually - they are in a poor state at present. Do council officials notice nothing around them as they go to and from their offices?

11.35am - I've just emailed all our local reps. including TDs/Councillors and Enniscorthy District Council office regarding the seats, the 1798 monument and the bent traffic light outside the SVP shop. I expect to see truckloads of council workers arrive shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Square very busy earlier, like a beautiful summer's evening in Bucharest.

Four replies to my email so far - two TDs + two councillors but will anything come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Four replies to my email so far - two TDs + two councillors but will anything come of it.

No harm trying but don't hold your breath. Politicians will fill your head with soundbites and will almost always respond to enquiries from constituents but better to contact the District Manager/Town Clerk for your area in this instance. Politicians have little influence when dealing with Council infrastructure.

• Advertisement

The firemen must be near melted on the hill all evening with heavy gear on.

kneemos wrote: »
    The firemen must be near melted on the hill all evening with heavy gear on.

It took a long time for it to be set on fire. Back in the day it was an almost daily occurrence.

It took a long time for it to be set on fire. Back in the day it was an almost daily occurrence.

Kids with their heads stuck in their phones.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Vinegarhill was my back garden as it was for many a young lad growing up in the 70s and 80s and the fires lit then were actually on the hill near the Sliding rock, fr Murphys rock and the climbing rock not in the fields at the foot of the hill. Thank God there was no Facebook back then as the place was swarmed with the local Paperazzi and FB breaking news reporters yesterday and last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

There is one council worker who's job it is to empty the bins. Given the size of the town and the number of bins it would be easily achievable to empty them all daily or at least all the ones in the busier areas. In reality he barely manages to empty them all once in a week. Bloody ridiculous how people can get away with doing so little for a decent salary

Navarre wrote: »
    Vinegarhill was my back garden as it was for many a young lad growing up in the 70s and 80s and the fires lit then were actually on the hill near the Sliding rock, fr Murphys rock and the climbing rock not in the fields at the foot of the hill. Thank God there was no Facebook back then as the place was swarmed with the local Paperazzi and FB breaking news reporters yesterday and last night.

I was laughing about that today as the missus showed me drone pictures of the aftermath. Before it was just "the hill's on fire again" but now it's big news. It doesn't do any harm anyway as it cleared the old dead scrub and allowed new growth.

I was laughing about that today as the missus showed me drone pictures of the aftermath. Before it was just "the hill's on fire again" but now it's big news. It doesn't do any harm anyway as it cleared the old dead scrub and allowed new growth.

I lived just under vineger hill, like Navarre, that the hill wasn't on fire was news some nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I lived just under vineger hill, like Navarre, that the hill wasn't on fire was news some nights...

Really? Was it on fire often? Every year like?

Really? Was it on fire often? Every year like?

Every year,ha ha. It was more like every second day until there was nothing left to burn.

I have just seen the images of the fire the other day. it was the gorse in the fileds at the back of fater cullens and cloiste bride not the hill it self.

• Advertisement

Will we see an empty unit eventually be used on Castle Street or is it just a fresh kick of paint in time for the Rocking Food Festival?

Will we see an empty unit eventually be used on Castle Street or is it just a fresh kick of paint in time for the Rocking Food Festival?

Just a lick of paint.

The old Forrest's bookshop is to have a temporary art display during the Festival and "Mary Elizabeth's" Boutique is moving to Bunclody shortly.

sEyglQX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Have to admit to being partly responsible for setting the Hill on fire back in the day as a chap myself. It was kind of accidental and I remember absolutely sh1ting myself when a small sit around camp fire suddenly went wild when a friend decided it was time to go home and kicked it into the gorse in what was a pretty lame attempt to put it out. Total and utter panic, thought we were going to end up behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I have just seen the images of the fire the other day. it was the gorse in the fileds at the back of fater cullens and cloiste bride not the hill it self.
    Well Jimmy Gahan said on radio that the two schools were potentially in danger. I laughed.Was he right then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Well Jimmy Gahan said on radio that the two schools were potentially in danger. I laughed.Was he right then?

Yes it was in the lanes behind / beside Colaiste Bride and St. Senans. Quite close to houses there too. In years past it was always on the hill so people in those areas didn't feel as threatened by it but unfortunately the other evening it was quite close. The fire men did a great job to get it under control and didn't leave until after 11. Unfortunately there were fires there again yesterday but were reported and put out quickly.

There are/were 5 fields at the foot of Vinegar hill on the town side of the hill, When we were young they were called Bridie Kellys fields and Nancy Thorpes fields. None of us really knew who owned them. Anyhow the hill itself was on fire every week of the holidays and there was never a danger to property. Its like what Cantona's Collars said all that this fire done was got rid of old dead gorse to make way for fresh gorse to grow. The difference between vinegar hill and the fire in Curracloe was curracloe fire was infact a danger to lives, property and cars. The problem nowadays is social media and the happy snappy society.

There are/were 5 fields at the foot of Vinegar hill on the town side of the hill, When we were young they were called Bridie Kellys fields and Nancy Thorpes fields. None of us really knew who owned them. Anyhow the hill itself was on fire every week of the holidays and there was never a danger to property. Its like what Cantona's Collars said all that this fire done was got rid of old dead gorse to make way for fresh gorse to grow. The difference between vinegar hill and the fire in Curracloe was curracloe fire was infact a danger to lives, property and cars. The problem nowadays is social media and the happy snappy society.

Jaysus, memories..Nancys field...forgot totally.

Jaysus, memories..Nancys field...forgot totally.

Next we'll be reminiscing about the disco in The Hut. :)

Next we'll be reminiscing about the disco in The Hut. :)

Bingo in the Hut on Sunday nights.

• Advertisement

Bingo in the Hut on Sunday nights.

Used to go in the see my Nanny, the smoke would kill ya in there with the low roof and the auld ones puffing away...

Advertisement