Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Great to see Enniscorthy making the news! :rolleyes:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/gardai-arrest-operation-thor-wexford-13237876

Hardly surprising given the non-existent border controls between Ireland and other EU states.

Kinda misses the point of the EU. Borderless travel of people, services and goods is kinda the whole concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Kinda misses the point of the EU. Borderless travel of people, services and goods is kinda the whole concept.

The whole point of the EEC/EU was to stop wars in Europe through economic interdependence not a licence for people to wander across the continent unimpeded.

The whole point of the EEC/EU was to stop wars in Europe through economic interdependence not a licence for people to wander across the continent unimpeded.

And things evolve and move on. I, for one, and millions more I imagine, am very happy to be able to travel around Europe unimpeded by red tape, visas, border checks etc.

And things evolve and move on. I, for one, and millions more I imagine, am very happy to be able to travel around Europe unimpeded by red tape, visas, border checks etc.

Yeah, it was such a hassle having to pack a valid passport. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

the kelt wrote: »
    So Sunday evening in Enniscorthy.
    Feeling a little worse for wear from Saturday night I decide to head into town for a Chinese, wife says we need a loaf of bread as well, I need diesel and 5 yr old daughter says she’ll come in with me for the spin.

Pull up outside Kehoes (yeah Kehoes, I know!)to go into the Shang Hai whilst taking my daughter from the car 3 young fellas come flying out of the pub bumping into me as I take my daughter from the car, no such thing as an apology whilst my stare at them results in a “what are ye going to do about it” stare in return.

Into the Chinese give in my order and say ill be back in 10 mins decide needing diesel and a loaf ill head up to the Applegreen in Druimgoold, kill 2 birds with one stone and as I turn to go up Spring Valley said young fellas of our ethnic minority has grown to 4 with 1 literally standing with his hand down his trousers literally scratching his balls whilst another proceeds to pee up against the wall in that little green patch beside the motor factors, “whats that man doing Daddy?”, oh nothing pet, don’t be looking out the window.

Up to Applegreen (no loaf lefts which is another story) and because my route back down Drumgoold and Esmonde Rd is now blocked by a transit van in full conversation with a bunch of lads and lassies across the road I decide to take a left out of the applegreen, up to the cross back down Drumgoold villas taking the left to go back down Spring Valley.

Im then greeted on the sharp bend to the right with an Astra car at full speed literally coming around the corner on 2 wheels which at the last second swerves back to avoid hitting me with another Van in hot pursuits something akin to the “dukes of Hazard” in full flow.
    Back down Springvalley only for my friends from Kehoes now having grown to 5 or 6 at this stage with 2 on the middle of the road and the others up Esmonde road having loud jovial conversations and gestures amongst themselves whilst proceeding to pelt each other with stones back and forth one of which proceeds to hit the very window my 5 yr old is looking out, I stop only to be quickly stared at by at least 5 of them and im faced with the prospect of what can I really do, “ daddy whats happening Daddy, whats happening?”, nothing pet we’re going now!

Eventually got a loaf of bread in the bus stop shop, Chinese was nice!
    As for everything else I keep saying why would I bother with enniscorthy when another 5 mins on the road has me in another town as much as I want to see the town do well!

The Gimont/Shannon area is the subject of an invasion every Sunday Afternoon/evening. God only knows where they all come from. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but I won't be surprised if someone is killed during the speeding/racing that goes on. There really needs to be a serious clamp down on them

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was such a hassle having to pack a valid passport. :rolleyes:

Ask any haulier or regular traveller what they prefer....You should hook up with these lads, you sound like you'd fit right in:

https://www.irexitfreedom.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kneemos wrote: »

Court Street was the focus of the raids.
    No "howya boss" types living there.

Ask any haulier or regular traveller what they prefer....You should hook up with these lads, you sound like you'd fit right in:

Not really a subject for this thread but you really think it's in anyone's interest to let the current free-for-all continue. You obviously do but instead of discussing it you resort to namecalling. Bye now.

Another arrest in town as part of Operation Thor.
    We've enough of our native criminals without welcoming more with open arms and then having to deal with the consequences.
    If you don't have a valid reason to arrive in the country other than to claim benefits and criminality then either don't be let in or sent home.
    I have no problems with anyone coming to Ireland to add to the economy and work/study but using the country as a source of free money and repay the receipt of handouts by thieving and worse is just scumbag behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Not really a subject for this thread but you really think it's in anyone's interest to let the current free-for-all continue. You obviously do but instead of discussing it you resort to namecalling. Bye now.

Beware the man who promises easy answers (and painless answers) to hard questions.

Beware also man who offers a simple narrative and solution to complex situations.

A while back I realised that if it was easy, it would have been fixed. Conspiracy theories that rely on 'the system' or 'them', aren't usually true and finally, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

I'm not apologising for the current system - there are a lot of things wrong and a lot of things that need to get fixed, but there is no magic (simple, easy, cheap) solution to do this.

• Advertisement

40138955_1804462066298825_2929857119727386624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4cc11905ba5aad78693113fb19539c30&oe=5BECDB0D

No time indicated but looks a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Another arrest in town as part of Operation Thor.
    We've enough of our native criminals without welcoming more with open arms and then having to deal with the consequences.
    If you don't have a valid reason to arrive in the country other than to claim benefits and criminality then either don't be let in or sent home.
    I have no problems with anyone coming to Ireland to add to the economy and work/study but using the country as a source of free money and repay the receipt of handouts by thieving and worse is just scumbag behaviour.

Our political masters in FF/FG insisted we continue to vote in a referendum until we got that right. Say than you to Leo and Micheál,

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Our political masters in FF/FG insisted we continue to vote in a referendum until we got that right. Say than you to Leo and Micheál,

Yes we voted twice on Nice and Lisbon, but concessions were granted and the policy of the texts changed before we voted for the second time.

I'm just wondering where the name calling is? Not once was I rude or name calling, there was no ad hominem attack.

The casual racism and xenophobia that raises its head here on a semi regular basis here is disgusting.

Also, your point wasn't a good one, in my opinion. These people arrived here with passports, we cannot do background checks on every person that arrives in the country. It is simply not feasible, possible or reasonable.

The EU are a huge force for good, it has its flaws, no doubt, but the freedoms we have because it greatly outweigh its flaws.

I am glad they are caught and the Gardai are to be commended for the work that they have done.

If you get offended because someone disagrees with you, it really isn't my problem.

I'm just wondering where the name calling is? Not once was I rude or name calling, there was no ad hominem attack.

The casual racism and xenophobia that raises its head here on a semi regular basis here is disgusting.

Also, your point wasn't a good one, in my opinion. These people arrived here with passports, we cannot do background checks on every person that arrives in the country. It is simply not feasible, possible or reasonable.

The EU are a huge force for good, it has its flaws, no doubt, but the freedoms we have because it greatly outweigh its flaws.

I am glad they are caught and the Gardai are to be commended for the work that they have done.

If you get offended because someone disagrees with you, it really isn't my problem.

.You should hook up with these lads, you sound like you'd fit right in:

This isn't disagreeing with me, it's trying to pigeonhole me into a racist/fascist box. I have complex political views of which you know nothing about and won't be able to deduce even if you trawl every post I've made on boards. As we are dragging the Enniscorthy Thread completely off topic perhaps you could start a thread on AH instead and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Yes we voted twice on Nice and Lisbon, but concessions were granted and the policy of the texts changed before we voted for the second time.

As it turned out the "guarantees" weren't worth the paper they were written on.
    If they were, our Budget would not have to have been approved by the Bundestag and Juncker wouldn't be strutting around European capitals acting like the top dog.
    The second Lisbon referendum campaign was a one sided campaign with virtually no media time given to those with counter arguments. Bully tactics, typical of the attitude of FF/FG.

A planning notice posted up on the ESB pole outside the Old House in Templeshannon. Either that or a dereliction notice, I was driving so couldn't get a good look.

A planning notice posted up on the ESB pole outside the Old House in Templeshannon. Either that or a dereliction notice, I was driving so couldn't get a good look.

What a great pub that used to be. Loved it when Ultan had it. I'd say it's in a shocking state now..

What a great pub that used to be. Loved it when Ultan had it. I'd say it's in a shocking state now..

It was even better when Valerie Hynes had it. That place was my local for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Anyone tell me when the Old House closed down & why?

It's derelict as long as I can remember; that said I'm not f/t in or from Enniscorthy but my relatives lived up the hill (the Shannon) there so I would've passed it regularly.

Is it just a symptom of its location and the ridiculously dangerous traffic at times?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

It was even better when Valerie Hynes had it. That place was my local for years.

was even better when Newes had it. it was my local back then. :)

IMG_0952.JPG

https://www.enniscorthynews.ie

A Nutrition shop has just opened in Slaney Street - the third one in recent times I think?

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Anyone tell me when the Old House closed down & why?

It's derelict as long as I can remember; that said I'm not f/t in or from Enniscorthy but my relatives lived up the hill (the Shannon) there so I would've passed it regularly.

Is it just a symptom of its location and the ridiculously dangerous traffic at times?

Long story short,Ultan passed away and his sister took it over and ran it into the ground.
    It used to be one of the best pubs in the county let alone the town.

Navarre wrote: »
    was even better when Newes had it. it was my local back then. :)

I'm old enough to remember being in it back then.
    It became The Gilded Cage after that.

I'm old enough to remember being in it back then.
    It became The Gilded Cage after that.

Thats right we used to call it Bostocks after the owner Maurice Bostock. but at the time most of the Newes pub regulars didn't return.

Thats right we used to call it Bostocks after the owner Maurice Bostock. but at the time most of the Newes pub regulars didn't return.

I remember Wallis Bird as a nipper sneaking out to the top of the stairs if there was music playing and her dad chasing her back in.

I remember Wallis Bird as a nipper sneaking out to the top of the stairs if there was music playing and her dad chasing her back in.

I actually forgot Ger Bird owned after Joe Newe and before Bostock. then again i lived away from town for a good bit that time.

I actually forgot Ger Bird owned after Joe Newe and before Bostock. then again i lived away from town for a good bit that time.

I remember Birds and Bostock, vaguely as Newes. I think the original Newes glass sign is still in the doorway.

Valerie ran a good pub but I think Ultan really made it a great pub... Thursday to Sunday it was always busy, live music on the Friday was brilliant, and Fa on a Sunday!

Sinead ran it into the ground. The Maher family still own it, I presume.

I remember Birds and Bostock, vaguely as Newes. I think the original Newes glass sign is still in the doorway.

Valerie ran a good pub but I think Ultan really made it a great pub... Thursday to Sunday it was always busy, live music on the Friday was brilliant, and Fa on a Sunday!

Sinead ran it into the ground. The Maher family still own it, I presume.

I found it was better when Valerie ran it, maybe it was the memory of great lock-ins we had back then plus having the sneaky few pints during holy hour on a Sunday. The place used to be jammers (weekend began on a Thursday night)
    Ultan ran a good pub too and there were some brilliant nights had in it during his time there.
    I'd hate to see the state it's in now after being neglected and subject to several floods.

• Advertisement

I found it was better when Valerie ran it, maybe it was the memory of great lock-ins we had back then plus having the sneaky few pints during holy hour on a Sunday. The place used to be jammers (weekend began on a Thursday night)
    Ultan ran a good pub too and there were some brilliant nights had in it during his time there.
    I'd hate to see the state it's in now after being neglected and subject to several floods.

Ah, the Sunday holy hour lock in, great times! Was in there quite a few times for that....and a few late ones with Ultan over the years too. New Years Eve 1999, he had only taken over the place a few months before, was a great night...

Advertisement