Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The block it in the morning just in time for the rush, and unblock it in the evening just after the rush has ended.

Murphy's Law.. it the manner in which many things council related are done about these parts e.g.

* Send up sweeper to clean gravel from roads in The Moyne, leave it in a pile for 4-6 weeks before someone is sent to pick it up

* Place zebra crossing at one of the busiest junctions in the town, realise it was a bad idea, have it removed, have another one laid a hundred yards further up

* Put 3 zebra crossings onto one of the busiest roads in town no less than about 1000 yards apart (Bellefield)

* Take well kept grassy area in The Moyne, throw down a half-arsed plant arrangement, then leave it there to go to pot making the grassy area look like shíte

* Fill in pot holes on Munster Hill, resurface Munster Hill two weeks later

Although credit where credit is due... I'm loving the bit of re-surfaced road from Alcast out... well done on that count!

Can someone tell me why the Bohreen Hill is closed going down it? I see it blocked off but no work is taking place.

Apparently they're cutting hedges out by Blackstoops...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Ha ha, block one road, to cut hedges on a different road :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tree and hedge cutting on Bohreen Hill and the crash barriers are being replaced/repaired by Blackstoops.

Bohreen Hill Has been closed off for 3 days now, and I have seen little or no evidence of any work being done.

• Advertisement

the crash barriers are being replaced/repaired

That makes the delays a lot easier to live with!

zerks wrote: »
    Are Roadwise not a Wexford company?

My mistake-the Wexford company is Roadway,they make signs.

Ian7 wrote: »
    speaking of vehicular travel around the town. I don't know to what extent the topic of boy racers has been discussed but I find myself increasingly frustrated at what a dirty shower they are. Sat and Sun mornings at the supervalu carpark, lidl and along the prom are filthy in the exact spots where the "racers" were parked the previous night. I have no real gripe with them parked up there but maybe its a case of the "skaterpark solution".... the council should place a couple of bins in the spots where they park.

Nice big bin on the prom right beside where the boy racers park but was down there yesterday morning and there was a pile of rubbish on the road where they were parked-obviously it was too hard for them to get out of their cars an put their junk in the bin which was all of 20 feet away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ENNISCORTHY%2BMAY%2B2011%2B005.JPG

A few more positives and negatives about Enniscorthy here: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/ and I'm going to do something worthwhile on the Rafter Street developments here shortly. They have planted ****ing Oak trees (!) in the street - unless they are some sort of Bonsai Oak Tree I think they are bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Well rafter street is done and looking well, surface itself seems to look dirty very quickly. But other wise a good job I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Wallop 64

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    Well rafter street is done and looking well, surface itself seems to look dirty very quickly. But other wise a good job I think

I agree it looks really good, it gives the area a much needed lift and they resisted the grave slabs and aushwitz style arches that they put in slaney street

Resurfacing of the road @ The Moyne started this morning.

This place was so bad that driving in the middle of the road wouldn't suffice, you had to drive on the opposite side of the road to avoid potholes.

Praise the Lord.

Padjo1981 wrote: »

I'm afraid I can't agree and even your own post says it all - the street presents a more attractive appearance than previously but it's just not fit for service.

Rafter%2BStreet%2B004.JPG

One only has to look at the state of Slaney Street after its 'refurbishment' to see the usual high standard of maintenance carried out by the council. I for one am not carried along by all the media hype and articles carrying quotes from vested interests kissing each other arses. How much did it cost? This weeks Guardian says €320,000 and last weeks Echo says €600,000 - ah shure it's only somebody else's money anyway. :rolleyes:

The horrendous stainless steel flag poles (?) do nothing for the street and along with Smyths tacky flags only add to the clutter. The whole thing is a classic example of woolly thinking and I await with interest the reintroduction of vehicular traffic - should be fun in amongst the cafe tables and chairs. The whole thing is nicely capped off with a phalanx of new bins (from local manufacturer Hartecast) which would not be out of place on a Doctor Who film set. More here: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/ where you can read opinion not advertorial as dispensed by our local newspapers.

Exterminate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Judgement Day,
    why always so negitive.. dont get me wrong i agree with you sometimes, but i like the new street, it will add a nice feel to anyone walking around the town , i do agree with you on it getting dirty quickly, why not talk to one of the Councilers and express your worriers, i intend to speak to Pat Cody, Keith Doyle, James Brown and Sean Doyle and express my concerns and hopefully the council or tidy town will wash the street (and to be fair the market sq could do with a good powerwash also) weekly and make this a nice place for people to shop/enjoy coffee etc.. god knows the town needs all the help it can get.

P.S
    is your picture take after the offically opening when there was much more people on it then there will be normally? just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I just had a look at that blog. If the author is so "angry" about the town why doesn't he try organise something or run for the council. Complete and utter keyboard warrior looking to give out about everything.

wild_cat wrote: »
    I just had a look at that blog. If the author is so "angry" about the town why doesn't he try organise something or run for the council. Complete and utter keyboard warrior looking to give out about everything.

The author is angry about the state of the town but feels utterly powerless to do anything about it except draw attention to what he sees wrong. Should he just ignore the state of the place instead. If you bothered to read the blog you would note that credit is given where and when it is due. Since you know nothing about the suthor, it is a tad presumptuous of you to write him off as a kevboard warrior. As for running for the council, it has crossed his mind but as Clint Eastwood said 'a good man knows his limitations' i.e. the author wouldn't have a prayer of getting elected.

Rafter street looks well but will need continuous cleaning and maintenance as the surface is easily stained-I've seen similar surfaces elsewhere and they are cleaned daily to keep them looking well.On a sunny day with tables and chairs outside it could be a pleasant place to relax.
    My biggest fear is the threat of vandalism-we have an element in the town who are only too willing to oblige and ruin it.The first person caught doing any damage should be made an example of as a deterrent to other scumbags.

Ian7 wrote: »
    Just noticed that the company fixing the barriers along the island road are an English company. Nothing against them being English or anything, they obviously tendered the lowest price but its just frustrating that a local company couldn't do it cheaper.

RoadwiseSafety are actually a Wexford company-they have a sign at Blackstoops advertising their website. http://roadwisesafety.ie/

The author is angry about the state of the town but feels utterly powerless to do anything about it except draw attention to what he sees wrong. Should he just ignore the state of the place instead. If you bothered to read the blog you would note that credit is given where and when it is due. Since you know nothing about the suthor, it is a tad presumptuous of you to write him off as a kevboard warrior. As for running for the council, it has crossed his mind but as Clint Eastwood said 'a good man knows his limitations' i.e. the author wouldn't have a prayer of getting elected.
    The town is not in a state.

A broken pavement here and a tattered flag there does not mean the town is falling to bits.

I would put it to you that Enniscorthy is in as good a shape as any wexford town.

Resurfacing of the road @ The Moyne started this morning.

This place was so bad that driving in the middle of the road wouldn't suffice, you had to drive on the opposite side of the road to avoid potholes.

Praise the Lord.
    They done it fairly sharp!

I got home from work yesterday and it was finished after just one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I'm afraid I can't agree and even your own post says it all - the street presents a more attractive appearance than previously but it's just not fit for service.

Rafter%2BStreet%2B004.JPG

One only has to look at the state of Slaney Street after its 'refurbishment' to see the usual high standard of maintenance carried out by the council. I for one am not carried along by all the media hype and articles carrying quotes from vested interests kissing each other arses. How much did it cost? This weeks Guardian says €320,000 and last weeks Echo says €600,000 - ah shure it's only somebody else's money anyway. :rolleyes:

The horrendous stainless steel flag poles (?) do nothing for the street and along with Smyths tacky flags only add to the clutter. The whole thing is a classic example of woolly thinking and I await with interest the reintroduction of vehicular traffic - should be fun in amongst the cafe tables and chairs. The whole thing is nicely capped off with a phalanx of new bins (from local manufacturer Hartecast) which would not be out of place on a Doctor Who film set. More here: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/ where you can read opinion not advertorial as dispensed by our local newspapers.

Exterminate.jpg

You're being pedantic. While I agree it with the point you made about the paving looking dirty, just because you don't like a certain style is no reason to criticize it. I quite happen to like the bins & lamp posts, they're sleek and modern.

TheChevron wrote: »
    The town is not in a state.

A broken pavement here and a tattered flag there does not mean the town is falling to bits.

I would put it to you that Enniscorthy is in as good a shape as any wexford town.

ENNISCORTHY+27+MARCH+2009+015.JPG
    The first thing that visitors arriving from Dublin, by road or rail, see when they arrive in the town - this pic from 2009 can still be taken today.

Take a walk down the 'revamped' Slaney Street and then up Templeshannon or down to the playground at the Promenade. Have a look at newly reopened Wickham's butcher shop in the Market Square with its smashed plate glass window. Have a look at the burnt (!) seat on the Promenade, the graffiti covered seat right outside the Council offices, the rotten seats and tables at the highlighted (award winning) viewing point out the Millpark Road, the missing lifebelts along the river etc.etc.etc..... Turning a blind eye to the problem is the Irish way and we will never put things right as long as we continue to ignore the problems all around the town.

JayEnnis wrote: »
    You're being pedantic. While I agree it with the point you made about the paving looking dirty, just because you don't like a certain style is no reason to criticize it. I quite happen to like the bins & lamp posts, they're sleek and modern.

Possibly, but my main grievance about the bins, stainless steel flag (?) poles etc is that they are inappropriate if the town is being promoted as an historic town. Along with the dreadful "Singing Bird" they are just urban clutter. I noted a fuel tanker delivering to Rackards today and I remain to be convinced as to how traffic is going to be able to share the pedestrianised street without destroying it.

With a bit of thought and a minimum of expenditure Enniscorthy could be up there with the best of them like Clonakilty pictured below. Our town has more natural and man made heritage than most, it's how it is cared for and developed that is the problem.

clon8.jpg

More of Clonakilty here: http://www.invectis.co.uk/cork/wsclonakilty.htm

ENNISCORTHY+27+MARCH+2009+015.JPG
    The first thing that visitors arriving from Dublin, by road or rail, see when they arrive in the town - this pic from 2009 can still be taken today.

Take a walk down the 'revamped' Slaney Street and then up Templeshannon or down to the playground at the Promenade. Have a look at newly reopened Wickham's butcher shop in the Market Square with its smashed plate glass window. Have a look at the burnt (!) seat on the Promenade, the graffiti covered seat right outside the Council offices, the rotten seats and tables at the highlighted (award winning) viewing point out the Millpark Road, the missing lifebelts along the river etc.etc.etc..... Turning a blind eye to the problem is the Irish way and we will never put things right as long as we continue to ignore the problems all around the town.
    Have you ever been to Paris?

The first thing you see as you enter by train is wall to wall graffiti and slum like conditions. It does not seem to affect tourists flocking to one of the most visited cities in the world.

If your the type to let a bit of graffiti on a private dwelling put you off, stay well clear of Paris, its not for you.

The things you are mentioning are minor and Im sure you will find that stuff in Clonakilty too. You might even find a someone in Clonakilty who goes around and takes pictures of these minor things and highlights all the negativity in a blog. I doubt that very much though.

zerks wrote: »
    RoadwiseSafety are actually a Wexford company-they have a sign at Blackstoops advertising their website. http://roadwisesafety.ie/
    Any vans I seen have an yellow reg. A tad confusing tio say the least.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Paris?

The first thing you see as you enter by train is wall to wall graffiti and slum like conditions. It does not seem to affect tourists flocking to one of the most visited cities in the world.

If your the type to let a bit of graffiti on a private dwelling put you off, stay well clear of Paris, its not for you.

The things you are mentioning are minor and Im sure you will find that stuff in Clonakilty too. You might even find a someone in Clonakilty who goes around and takes pictures of these minor things and highlights all the negativity in a blog. I doubt that very much though.

I think your posting in the wrong Forum - in case you haven't noticed we are discussing Enniscorthy here not Paris. As for Clonakilty, there are things that I would change about it but in common with many west Cork towns they have their act together when it come to the presentation of their streets and buildings. How are the things I mention minor - please explain? As I stated I give praise on my blog - where it is due. Why don't you start your own blog outlining all the positive things about Enniscorthy instead of criticising about mine? :D

Dulux are sponsoring town clean ups and will help interested parties,why doesn't the town take advantage?
    Templeshannon has one of the busiest hotels in the country yet the street is full of closed up premises,not a great image for visitors and there will be another one there soon as the hairdressers is moving to the centre of town.Even if these vacant premises were given a lick of paint it would help.

I have to side with JD,he posts what he see's around the town be it good or bad.Unfortunately the bad tends to outweigh the good.Even the new playground is being vandalized despite cctv covering it.

Dulux are sponsoring town clean ups and will help interested parties,why doesn't the town take advantage?

Submitted an application on behalf of the Shamrocks GAA club a couple of months ago. Waiting for a response... lots of painting volunteers rearing to go.

• Advertisement

I think your posting in the wrong Forum - in case you haven't noticed we are discussing Enniscorthy here not Paris. As for Clonakilty, there are things that I would change about it but in common with many west Cork towns they have their act together when it come to the presentation of their streets and buildings. How are the things I mention minor - please explain? As I stated I give praise on my blog - where it is due. Why don't you start your own blog outlining all the positive things about Enniscorthy instead of criticising about mine? :D
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I feel you are over negative and focus mostly on what I think are minor issues. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that either.

Advertisement